PDA

View Full Version : The last time celina lost 3 in a row.

cats 2008
09-19-2008, 08:49 AM
I think celina gets beat tonight and blown out by whitehouse next week that would be 3 in a row.When is the last time celina lost 3 in a row?:(

MN95
09-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by cats 2008
I think celina gets beat tonight and blown out by whitehouse next week that would be 3 in a row.When is the last time celina lost 3 in a row?:(

This would not surprise me. However, I still like our chances to go deep in the playoffs. I think these tough games will help our inexperienced players get better quick.

kaorder1999
09-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by MN95
This would not surprise me. However, I still like our chances to go deep in the playoffs. I think these tough games will help our inexperienced players get better quick.
Honestly...I think this is better for Celina then playing a weak schedule like they always have.

CHS_89
09-19-2008, 09:09 AM
I haven't seen Arlington Heights or Whitehouse this year. Only read about them and done some research. I think the speed of these teams becomes an issue for the Bobcats. Hopefully there wont be any injures (for AH and WH as well) because we are thin right now in my op. We very may well be 2-3 after these next two games. But, I do think the schedule this year is a lot better vs. the previous years and thats a good thing. Go Bobcats! Let's focus, play mistake free, and get ready for district play.

MN95
09-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Honestly...I think this is better for Celina then playing a weak schedule like they always have.

You may be right, but playing a so called "weak" has worked pretty well, hasn't it? If the goal is to win the state championship, how do you do "better" than the last 3 years? The only thing we could have done better is beat Liberty Hill in 06.

If you went to any 3A school, and guaranteed them they would go to 3 state championship games in a row if they played a "weaker" schedule, and win 2 of them, do you think any of them would opt for a more difficult schedule?

It remains to be seen which way is better. It may depend on your team. If you have lots of experience coming back, maybe an easier schedule is better to avoid injury to key players. With a younger inexperienced team, like this year's, maybe the more difficult schedule is the way to go.

It makes for an interesting discussion though. As for me, I really enjoyed the intensity of last weeks game and am looking forward to another good one tonight.

kaorder1999
09-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by MN95
You may be right, but playing a so called "weak" has worked pretty well, hasn't it? If the goal is to win the state championship, how do you do "better" than the last 3 years? The only thing we could have done better is beat Liberty Hill in 06.

If you went to any 3A school, and guaranteed them they would go to 3 state championship games in a row if they played a "weaker" schedule, and win 2 of them, do you think any of them would opt for a more difficult schedule?

It remains to be seen which way is better. It may depend on your team. If you have lots of experience coming back, maybe an easier schedule is better to avoid injury to key players. With a younger inexperienced team, like this year's, maybe the more difficult schedule is the way to go.

It makes for an interesting discussion though. As for me, I really enjoyed the intensity of last weeks game and am looking forward to another good one tonight.

im not talking about just the last 3 years...im talking about the last 10 or more. GA was always scrutinized for it. But like you said...rings are there right?

ronwx5x
09-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

Only two short weeks ago it seemed almost everyone was talking how once again Celina has only scheduled cupcake opponents this year. My how one loss changes the view of a schedule!

3afan
09-19-2008, 09:25 AM
i think playing a killer non-district schedule does a team more harm than good except for those elite teams/programs .... to me the smartest thing a coach can do is schedule teams they can be tested against but also can have success against, especially in HS where there is a playoff and the only games that "count" are district games, not so in NCAA DI

so, who can argue with Celina's scheduling? why SHOULD they play the killer non district schedule when what they've been doing has worked so well for so many years?

MN95
09-19-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
Only two short weeks ago it seemed almost everyone was talking how once again Celina has only scheduled cupcake opponents this year. My how one loss changes the view of a schedule!

Most of us in Celina knew we had a tougher schedule with 4A's Arlington Heights and Whitehouse. Word was that Daingerfield was down, but those of us who did a little research knew by kickoff that we were in for a tough game.

gatordaze
09-19-2008, 09:37 AM
It seems that this year we just played whomever would play us.

MN95
09-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by 3afan

so, who can argue with Celina's scheduling? why SHOULD they play the killer non district schedule when what they've been doing has worked so well for so many years?

This is what I was trying to say. I think maybe what was different this year is it is becoming more difficult for us to find these type of opponents, so we had to expand our criteria a little.

KingRob
09-19-2008, 09:39 AM
The last time Celina lost three in a row was back in 1983, when they had a 1-9 season.

gatordaze
09-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by KingRob
The last time Celina lost three in a row was back in 1983, when they had a 1-9 season.

Actually, they lost 3 in a row 3 times that season! They won thier last game v. Aubrey to go 1-9

44INAROW
09-19-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by KingRob

and the answer comes all the way from Germany :)

lots of times - a couple of close "losses" will do more for a team than a bunch of big wins........ that's just my take on it.

KingRob
09-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Hey 44IAR, Hope to stay up to listen online. I've been such an opa lately. It's very cool over here now, and once I put the fireplace on, it's bedtime for me. I might take a nap, and wake up later. It's gonna be a goodern!

:hijacktd:

CHS_89
09-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
i think playing a killer non-district schedule does a team more harm than good except for those elite teams/programs .... to me the smartest thing a coach can do is schedule teams they can be tested against but also can have success against, especially in HS where there is a playoff and the only games that "count" are district games, not so in NCAA DI

I agree with the "tested and also have success against statement" you made. For ANY team trying to get better, not just Celina, IMO winning by 40 in games shows you nothing. On the other hand, getting beat by 40 shows you nothing also. Where's the middle ground on setting a schedule? Unfortunately, I don't know if there is one around here.

SLIKK
09-19-2008, 09:51 AM
I think Celina's schedule is fine... Yeah maybe they did schedule a lil bit tougher than years past, but I truly believe its a good thing... I think there's a fine line between too tough and too easy... Mix in a few gimme's with a couple tough ones and you have the perfect formula... You win enough to sustain some confidence and play enough good teams to measure yourself... As long as you compete with the better teams, win or lose you gain alotta experience that will help you in the long run...

Our schedule has been this way for years, especially pre-district, we schedule tough but winable games for all 5... Sometimes it hurts us, but I'd say 9 out of 10 times it just makes us better !! Our coaches have always done a good job of scheduling match-ups as well as opponents... We'll always play a good running team (Pewitt), or good defensive squad (Celina & Atlanta) and a good team that runs the spread (Gilmer) !!

I believe there is a bit more too it than just playing good or bad teams... Its a learning experience for every team, and its the coach's job to make sure they make the most of it !!

CHS_89
09-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by SLIKK
I think Celina's schedule is fine... Yeah maybe they did schedule a lil bit tougher than years past, but I truly believe its a good thing... I think there's a fine line between too tough and too easy... Mix in a few gimme's with a couple tough ones and you have the perfect formula... You win enough to sustain some confidence and play enough good teams to measure yourself... As long as you compete with the better teams, win or lose you gain alotta experience that will help you in the long run...

Our schedule has been this way for years, especially pre-district, we schedule tough but winable games for all 5... Sometimes it hurts us, but I'd say 9 out of 10 times it just makes us better !! Our coaches have always done a good job of scheduling match-ups as well as opponents... We'll always play a good running team (Pewitt), or good defensive squad (Celina & Atlanta) and a good team that runs the spread (Gilmer) !!

I believe there is a bit more too it than just playing good or bad teams... Its a learning experience for every team, and its the coaches job to make sure they make the most of it !!

Right on Slikk. BTW, if I haven't told ya, great game last Friday!

SLIKK
09-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Our game vs. Celina was like a playoff game b4 the playoffs, who could ask for more ?? In our mind, we're one step closer to where we wanna be, win or lose I think that should be your mentality after every game !! If you gain nothing from a game, then it wasn't worth the effort !!

SLIKK
09-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by CHS_89
Right on Slikk. BTW, if I haven't told ya, great game last Friday!

Wasn't it great, if every Friday was that exciting I don't know if I'd live much longer, LOL !!

Both teams left it all on the field, alot to be proud of from a heart standpoint... Now execution left alot to be desired, but we can both work on that !!:D

gatordaze
09-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Anyone have a guess as to how Celina has performed historically against 4A teams?

kepdawg
09-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by gatordaze
Anyone have a guess as to how Celina has performed historically against 4A teams?

Is this supposed to be a trick question or something?

CHS_89
09-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Is this supposed to be a trick question or something?

Thats what I was thinking to Kep, lol. I am not familar with the classifications of some of the private schools we have played. I'll say 5-0 (you asked for a guess, lol).

gatordaze
09-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by CHS_89
Thats what I was thinking to Kep, lol. I am not familar with the classifications of some of the private schools we have played. I'll say 5-0 (you asked for a guess, lol).

It is, they have not ever played a 4A school. Coach Ford said that tonight would be a first one way or the other.

Sweetwater Red
09-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x

Okay that was me but I was just trying to get a laugh and
do a little :stirpot: . I didn't actually mean it though.;)

charlesrixey
09-19-2008, 11:30 AM
as far as the scheduling is concerned, i don't think it really matters

maybe for the fans, but coaches are more concerned with the big picture. Celina managed to win 7 state titles since 1995 (in 8 tries) regardless of how who they played

when you play a game and win or lose, you want to take lessons from that game, get better and then hopefully do better the next time out.

Beating good teams may help a team gain confidence, but in celina's case, they've done that when it mattered

how many teams do we talk about on here that have grueling schedules and don't win titles?

BobcatBenny
09-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Here is what I am going to say probably happens tonight.

Celina does not turn the ball over. (If Celina cannot contain the rush, they may not throw many passes.)

The defense adjusts early, can contain the speed and only gives up a few break away TDs.

Celina wins a close game.

Pick6
09-19-2008, 12:06 PM
I think the non-district schedule will help Celina out also. They will roll thru district and hit their peak once the playoff's start.

STANG RED
09-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Some people say losing is never good, but I whole heartedly disagree. If you get beat, the other team had to have exposed your weaknesses and that gives you a chance to get them corrected. Hopefully all that gets corrected by the time games mean something later on. Also losses leave a bad taste in your mouth that you dont want to experience again, so I think it can make the boys and coaches work that much harder to avoid it from happening again.
It's when losing becomes a habit that is a problem. I've experienced both ends of the spectrum, and I must say the winning end is a whole lot more fun.

BILLYFRED0000
09-19-2008, 02:40 PM
Sorry but if you never get beat weaknesses don't matter. Just could not resist that logic. Celina has 7 undefeated seasons. But this is preseason and district and the playoffs are not here yet. I for one have so far enjoyed this year watching some really good football.

charlesrixey
09-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
Sorry but if you never get beat weaknesses don't matter. Just could not resist that logic. Celina has 7 undefeated seasons. But this is preseason and district and the playoffs are not here yet. I for one have so far enjoyed this year watching some really good football.

even during celina's 68 game win streak, they had weaknesses

what they did was adjust and play to their strengths. you don't have to lose to locate weaknesses (see dallas cowboys)

bobcat1
09-19-2008, 04:48 PM
I think the coaches pick whom they will play according to the kids they have. This group might have just needed to be tested and seasoned a little. Just thinking out loud here........:thinking: