PDA

View Full Version : horse collar rule for HS

Emerson1
09-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Is it explained any different as a rule for HS vs in the NFL?

I don't think our bimbo refs last night knew it was a rule now in HS.

VAMike?

Looking4number8
09-19-2008, 08:49 AM
I would like to know this too. It happened twice when we play La Vega and the refs never made the call. It would not have changed the game, but still calls should have been made.

kaorder1999
09-19-2008, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by lookingfornumbe
I would like to know this too. It happened twice when we play La Vega and the refs never made the call. It would not have changed the game, but still calls should have been made.

i dont know exactly what the rule states in the nfl but in HS it was explained to me that the tackler has to actually pull the ball carrier down backwards.....just grabbing the collar doesn't get a penalty...

Emerson1
09-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i dont know exactly what the rule states in the nfl but in HS it was explained to me that the tackler has to actually pull the ball carrier down backwards.....just grabbing the collar doesn't get a penalty...
That is what it looked like the ref was explaining, but what he was explaining is exactly what happened

Maroon87
09-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Calallen got flagged for it against Edcouch-Elsa. I heard it only gets called if the tackler yanks the runner down from behind. Just grabbing the collar isn't an actual penalty.

Basically what KAO said...

ProudHornetMom
09-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Referee explained to us that the tackler has to pull immediately down. If he holds and drags behind or rides, it's a penalty. Kinda of a grab and drop not a hold on and ride.

JT44
09-19-2008, 11:17 AM
this was called at least 3 times against RH in the Cuero game

BwdLion_80
09-19-2008, 12:11 PM
The rules states that if a defensive player grasps any opening of the neck, whether it be shirt or pads, and immediately pulls the runner down, that is illegal. There are 2 exceptions, if the QB is in the pocket or the RB is within the tackle box, it is not a penalty.

Old Tiger
09-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Their was a bad horse collar on the RB last night for us. He had to leave the game for a play or two and the penalty was not called.

TexDoc
09-19-2008, 01:08 PM
BwdLion_80 is correct.

Here is the exact rule 9-1-2-p:

All players are prohibited from grabbing the inside back collar of the
shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder
pads or jersey, and immediately pulling the runner down. This does not
apply to a runner who is inside the tackle box or to a quarterback who is
in the pocket.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
09-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Hello it is football. The object is to tackle people, as long as it is not by the face mask who gives a rip. That rule is the dumbest waste of ink and paper there is in the NFL and HS.

ProudHornetMom
09-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Wow, that's completely opposite of what we were told...or what I heard. ;)

Old Tiger
09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by S_Tex_3A_Fan
Hello it is football. The object is to tackle people, as long as it is not by the face mask who gives a rip. That rule is the dumbest waste of ink and paper there is in the NFL and HS. In 2002 a Rockdale player horse collared a china spring player on a reverse and put him in a wheel chair(because of a knee injury on one leg and an ankle injury on the other)

Farmersfan
09-19-2008, 02:33 PM
I agree it's a stupid rule. The only reason the collar is grabbed is because the defensive player is beat. the collar is the last ditch effort to make the play. It's not like they have another option. (unless just lettting the runner go is an option)........

VAMike
09-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by ProudHornetMom
Wow, that's completely opposite of what we were told...or what I heard. ;)

What were you told or did you hear?

This video clip includes discussion and video related to the new rule. The horsecollar discussion starts 3:25 into the clip:
http://web1.ncaa.org/web_video/football/2008FootballRules.html