PDA

View Full Version : Relationship between Madison and its All-time greats is not good

JR2004
09-18-2008, 05:00 PM
I've really tried to figure out just exactly why it's like this, but at Madison there is almost zero communication with any of our great players of the past.

Stone Johnson has never been honored at all by Madison. Despite being one of the fastest athletes in the world and having run in the 1960 Olympics he was never honored. The man passed away in 1963 after breaking his neck in the pre-season against the Raiders in what would've been his rookie year. He died a day after their season opener and the Chiefs honored him by retiring his number 33.

Dwight "Mad Dog" White was a former East Texas State and Pittsburgh Steeler great. He scored the first points for the Steelers in Super Bowl IX with a sack of Fran Tarkenton. He played in the game despite being sick and losing 20 pounds the week of the game due having pneumonia. He was a member of all four Steel Curtain Super Bowl champions in the 70's (The irony of a Dallas kid helping beat the hometown team twice in the Super Bowl is not lost on me.) and last year was named to the 75th anniversary team by the Steelers. I was told that he never once came back and visited Madison and never had any communication with anyone at the school. Too bad that can't be rectified since he passed away earlier this year at the age of 58 from a blood clot due to complications from back surgery. :(

Brett Maxie was a member of some of the earliest Madison teams that competed as a member of the UIL. He graduated in 1980 and has yet to return. He played in the NFL for 13 seasons (85-97) and had a very successful career. He's now an assistant for the Dallas Cowboys and splits secondary coaching duties with Dave Campo. What really disappoints me about this one is that Cowboys defensive coordinator Bryan Stewart actually hangs out with our coaches and has been to Madison several times. The man actually conducted a free camp for the kids in the neighborhood this summer and was at Madison within the last week to talk to our kids. He had NO CLUE that Maxie graduated from Madison as he never even mentioned it to him. :(

A friend of mine from Garland finds this to be pretty comical because they have a good relationship with their All-time great Owls over there. I hope we can get to that point one day.

kaorder1999
09-18-2008, 05:40 PM
that does suck. Here at Adamson we have pretty good communication with the Alumni....I send them weekly emails to keep them updated and make them feel like they are appreciated...

bobcat1
09-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I've really tried to figure out just exactly why it's like this, but at Madison there is almost zero communication with any of our great players of the past.

Stone Johnson has never been honored at all by Madison. Despite being one of the fastest athletes in the world and having run in the 1960 Olympics he was never honored. The man passed away in 1963 after breaking his neck in the pre-season against the Raiders in what would've been his rookie year. He died a day after their season opener and the Chiefs honored him by retiring his number 33.

Dwight "Mad Dog" White was a former East Texas State and Pittsburgh Steeler great. He scored the first points for the Steelers in Super Bowl IX with a sack of Fran Tarkenton. He played in the game despite being sick and losing 20 pounds the week of the game due having pneumonia. He was a member of all four Steel Curtain Super Bowl champions in the 70's (The irony of a Dallas kid helping beat the hometown team twice in the Super Bowl is not lost on me.) and last year was named to the 75th anniversary team by the Steelers. I was told that he never once came back and visited Madison and never had any communication with anyone at the school. Too bad that can't be rectified since he passed away earlier this year at the age of 58 from a blood clot due to complications from back surgery. :(

Brett Maxie was a member of some of the earliest Madison teams that competed as a member of the UIL. He graduated in 1980 and has yet to return. He played in the NFL for 13 seasons (85-97) and had a very successful career. He's now an assistant for the Dallas Cowboys and splits secondary coaching duties with Dave Campo. What really disappoints me about this one is that Cowboys defensive coordinator Bryan Stewart actually hangs out with our coaches and has been to Madison several times. The man actually conducted a free camp for the kids in the neighborhood this summer and was at Madison within the last week to talk to our kids. He had NO CLUE that Maxie graduated from Madison as he never even mentioned it to him. :(

A friend of mine from Garland finds this to be pretty comical because they have a good relationship with their All-time great Owls over there. I hope we can get to that point one day.

Makes you wonder why they wouldn't want to be part of the tradition at Madison, don't it. Well maybe someday......

Maroon87
09-18-2008, 06:01 PM
That's one thing about Coach Danaher at Calallen that's so neat...every time he's interviewed after a big win, he always says "this is for all the former players who helped build this program." He makes it very clear that the exes are as important as the current squad in the keeping the tradition alive.