PDA

View Full Version : EB Football Helmets to have Ike Stickers

Antec
09-18-2008, 04:40 PM
From Wharton Journal-Spectator

East Bernard football players will don helmets with a black letter “I” decal during Friday’s homecoming game against Wharton County rival Boling.

Third-year East Bernard Athletic Director and head football coach Jerry Long came up with the idea on Monday.

The “I” signifies the devastation Hurricane Ike caused along the Gulf Coast from Freeport to Lake Charles, La.

“We’re going to wear a sticker in memory of those people and victims,” said Long.

“I’m just fortunate that we have a game and that the team we are playing is in school.

There are a lot of kids out there that are going to miss several weeks or may lose a whole season because of the storm.

“It’s just making our kids understand that we need to feel fortunate where we picked up four days ago when other kids are unable to.”

East Bernard and Boling’s games last week against Shiner and Ganado respectively were canceled because of Hurricane Ike.

El Campo and Louise also had their games against Victoria Memorial and Tidehaven canceled.

Wharton was the lone team in the county to play, losing to Giddings on the road on Wednesday.