PDA

View Full Version : TWIA will not cover flood damage

sinton66
09-18-2008, 07:48 AM
Reported in the Caller-Times this morning, the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association will not cover flood damage from hurricane Ike. Those in flooded areas would have to have had the federal flood insurance to be covered.

Each case will be reviewed individually, and they are saying there won't be any 100% flood damage judgements, but the underlying determining factor will be whether the damage was caused by the storm surge or by the winds from Ike.

Phil C
09-18-2008, 10:46 AM
:(

44INAROW
09-18-2008, 10:50 AM
TWIA - TEXAS WINDSTORM INSURANCE ASSOCIATION

NFIP - NATIONAL FLOOD INSURANCE PROGRAM

2 different programs - also has been - I will not make any other comments on this subject - it's a touchy one but the coverage is CLEAR AS A BELL...

Phil C
09-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
TWIA - TEXAS WINDSTORM INSURANCE ASSOCIATION

NFIP - NATIONAL FLOOD INSURANCE PROGRAM

2 different programs - also has been - I will not make any other comments on this subject - it's a touchy one but the coverage is CLEAR AS A BELL...

SWMustang
09-18-2008, 11:29 AM
what if the wind knocked in part of your house and flood waters rushed in?

Phil C
09-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang

That is a magnificient question that deserves an answer.

Well done SWM!

44INAROW
09-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang

if you have water in your house but NO FLOOD COVERAGE - there is no coverage.........(we are talking RISING WATER HERE NOT RAIN FROM TORN OFF ROOF) Rain/water coming in from a damaged roof, tree on the house, broken windows - blowing rain - that's a totally separate peril.

Flood is flood - no two ways around it. Rising Water is Flood. It's been publicized ad-nausim. (sp) You do not have to be in a flood zone to get flood insurance. You do not have to be in a flood zone to flood either! I live 4.5 miles from the nearest body of water and am well above the mean flood elevation level and I carry the maximum allowed on a Preferred Flood Policy and it cost $348 a year. Certainly worth the peace of mind. I am not meaning to sound harsh but come on folks, this isn't the 1st time this subject has come up! Every single policy mailed out of our office had a HUGE NOTICE - THIS POLICY DOES NOT COVER FLOOD PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE FOR A FLOOD QUOTE. I assume most others do - I know for a fact the TWIA policies spell it out - NO FLOOD/RISING WATER is covered under this policy - in fact, they recently changed the wording from WINDSTORM, HURRICANE and HAIL POLICY - to WINDSTORM and HAIL so there is no misunderstanding. It's a fact - harsh as it is. Now where it is "touchy" is when the house is totally GONE - did the wind blow it away or did the surge take it away?? That's why having BOTH POLICIES would benefit (not sure how but that's what we've been told) when we issue TWIA policies (and renewals) we have to put the Flood and Homeowners policy numbers on the application so they can have all that info. I think adjusting that would be NIGHTMARE.

AP Panther Fan
09-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Now where it is "touchy" is when the house is totally GONE - did the wind blow it away or did the surge take it away?? That's why having BOTH POLICIES would benefit (not sure how but that's what we've been told) when we issue TWIA policies (and renewals) we have to put the Flood and Homeowners policy numbers on the application so they can have all that info. I think adjusting that would be NIGHTMARE.

Good point, I would guess when there is no clear answer, they would pay a percentage of the claim. You're right, adjusting these would be horrible. :(

Sad stuff...and what is even sadder is that our current economy is preventing many individuals from having enough money to purchase windstorm insurance, much less the more reasonably priced flood insurance. TWIA pisses me off.:)

Phil C
09-18-2008, 04:08 PM
if you have water in your house but NO FLOOD COVERAGE - there is no coverage.........(we are talking RISING WATER HERE NOT RAIN FROM TORN OFF ROOF) Rain/water coming in from a damaged roof, tree on the house, broken windows - blowing rain - that's a totally separate peril.

Flood is flood - no two ways around it. Rising Water is Flood. It's been publicized ad-nausim. (sp) You do not have to be in a flood zone to get flood insurance. You do not have to be in a flood zone to flood either! I live 4.5 miles from the nearest body of water and am well above the mean flood elevation level and I carry the maximum allowed on a Preferred Flood Policy and it cost $348 a year. Certainly worth the peace of mind. I am not meaning to sound harsh but come on folks, this isn't the 1st time this subject has come up! Every single policy mailed out of our office had a HUGE NOTICE - THIS POLICY DOES NOT COVER FLOOD PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE FOR A FLOOD QUOTE. I assume most others do - I know for a fact the TWIA policies spell it out - NO FLOOD/RISING WATER is covered under this policy - in fact, they recently changed the wording from WINDSTORM, HURRICANE and HAIL POLICY - to WINDSTORM and HAIL so there is no misunderstanding. It's a fact - harsh as it is. Now where it is "touchy" is when the house is totally GONE - did the wind blow it away or did the surge take it away?? That's why having BOTH POLICIES would benefit (not sure how but that's what we've been told) when we issue TWIA policies (and renewals) we have to put the Flood and Homeowners policy numbers on the application so they can have all that info. I think adjusting that would be NIGHTMARE.

Phil C
09-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Good point, I would guess when there is no clear answer, they would pay a percentage of the claim. You're right, adjusting these would be horrible. :(

Sad stuff...and what is even sadder is that our current economy is preventing many individuals from having enough money to purchase windstorm insurance, much less the more reasonably priced flood insurance. TWIA pisses me off.:)

navscanmaster
09-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Phil is PhiI is Bill is sad.:(

Phil C
09-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Phil is PhiI is Bill is sad.:(