PDA

View Full Version : Llano Vs Taylor

lange4
09-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Llano vs Taylor comes up a tossup on paper but my money goes on Llano. Llano's offensive line is just to powerful for Taylor to stop. I'ts up to the Jacket defense to make surew this goes the jackets way.

Old Tiger
09-17-2008, 10:57 PM
i'll choose llano also

LH Panther Mom
09-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Llano by 14+

headhunter
09-17-2008, 11:06 PM
I would think Llano can take this but they can not afford to turn the ball over, Llano does not have the "strike fast" offense you need if they where to fall behind late.

lange4
09-17-2008, 11:13 PM
here you go again thinking that a run offense is not strike quike offense. apparrently, you have not seen a gooood slot-t offense.

headhunter
09-17-2008, 11:19 PM
So your telling me that the slot T is meant to strike quick. Get real, the only way you score on big plays is when you play a team that is undersized and of less talent. Otherwise it becomes a defensive ball game. Just look at Liberty Hill, when they play a good team in the playoffs the normally don't score 40+. They run it about the best in the state. But most teams won't put but 28 points a game agianst an evenly matched team.

headhunter
09-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by lange4
here you go again thinking that a run offense is not strike quike offense. apparrently, you have not seen a gooood slot-t offense.

They sure dont strike quick agianst teams like Celina, Cuero, and Brownwood. and those are the teams you will face deep in teh playoffs.

Please don't say Llano runs a great Slot-T.

They run it good enough to maybe win a playoff game. sometimes two.

I just personally don't like the slot T and that's just my opinion.

lange4
09-17-2008, 11:37 PM
I am not saying Llano runs the slot-t as good as LH. What I am saying is they do have some quick srike abilities. Not every team can be a top 5 team. there is a talent pool you draw from. But when you are one of the smallest schools in your district and you make the rest of the district have to notice you, look out.

Old Tiger
09-18-2008, 12:37 AM
Llano needs to get a defense and they'll be alright.

Dogman_1969
09-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Good luck to TM and the rest of the Ducks from Tigerland. Go get Llano and bring back the win.

3afan
09-18-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm going for Llano 'cause a few yrs ago I applied for a job in Taylor and never heard from the folks

GO 'JACKETS !!!

ziggy29
09-18-2008, 10:45 AM
I think the Jackets can take this one -- even though their defense has been suspect so far, I believe they can outscore Taylor. And like the Rockdale and Bandera games, I expect a slug fest.

As for the Slot-T, if it's run well and the team running it has a physical advantage, it can definitely be a "quick strike" offense as it can generate a lot of long runs -- under those conditions.

A Slot-T offense that doesn't have a distinct physical advantage may have more difficulty coming back if they allow themselves to get far enough behind. For sure, Llano can't run it like LH but they run it reasonably well given what they have to work with. I think when a baby boy first begins to walk in LH, the next thing he it taught is how to run the Slot-T. :)

Silverback 04
09-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by headhunter
So your telling me that the slot T is meant to strike quick. Get real, the only way you score on big plays is when you play a team that is undersized and of less talent. Otherwise it becomes a defensive ball game. Just look at Liberty Hill, when they play a good team in the playoffs the normally don't score 40+. They run it about the best in the state. But most teams won't put but 28 points a game agianst an evenly matched team.

OK, since you obviously don't have any idea about the LH offense, here are a couple of quick facts.

Liberty Hill 33, Waco Connally 13
Liberty Hill 34, Burnet 17
Liberty Hill 70, Gatesville 7
Liberty Hill 49, Cuero 35
Liberty Hill 35, Wimberley 10
Liberty Hill 37, Rockdale 25
Liberty Hill 52, Hutto 7
Liberty Hill 52, Taylor 7
Liberty Hill 63, Cameron Yoe 14

Liberty Hill 42, Robinson 14
Liberty Hill 41, Carthage 14
Liberty Hill 48, Navasota 14
Liberty Hill 49, Pleasanton 7
Liberty Hill 38, Gilmer 13

Don't see where you comment about the less than 40 points has merit. 49 against Cuero.

Against Celina LH scored on runs of 79,61, and 1 yd after a 51 yard run. This offense is about 5-6 runs then a long dash to the end zone. Which most people would consider quick strike.

Silverback 04
09-18-2008, 11:23 AM
And if you think that Gilmer was undersized and less talented, you might get some argument from a lot of people who get paid a nice salary recruiting those undersized non-athletes.

headhunter
09-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Of course their are some exceptions, Liberty Hill has this offense down. They have the right athletes and the train them to run that offense very well.

All I am saying is that, unless you are LH, this offense is hard to mount a comeback on. It is a safe offense so normally turnovers are not a big factor. I just don't like it because i think it does a poor job of allowing skill players to showcase their talent. Yes if you are good enough ou should go play somewhere, but I would think (on average) it would be hard for WR and QB to be recruited out of this offense. Even RB may not be recruited based on stats. They are in a system that is one dimensional.

You name me more than two teams that have one state championships in recent years running the Slot T. There isn't any to my knowledge other than LH. Yes there has been a few teams go to the quarterfinals with it but they tend to fall once they get against an evenly matched team.

I agree that some schools with a lower pool of kids to choose from may have some success at this offense and it may work for them, but if you have the athletes and the playmakers I would think it would be terrible to not have a chance and show your skills. I personally just think the slot T is a boring offense, (yes LH make it good) but that is the only one i can really think of. If making it one or two tounds deep in the playoffs is successful to you and your school then you may like the Slot T. Where I am from, we go for it all every year, and I don't think the Slot T gives you the greatest chance to get there.

headhunter
09-18-2008, 11:46 AM
You also have to realize Silverback04 that LH had a great defense that year. That allowed them to never have to fall behind in the playoffs. They had a great year that year, but there is not to many of those years, especially when you move up in classification.

I like a balanced type offense,where you use multiple skill guys to gain yards. This makes it hard for a defense to concentrate on stopping one aspect (run or pass) and makes it hard to key on one guy. I understand not all teams have a great deal of talent to choose from, and yes the slot T may be a good offense to use.

ziggy29
09-18-2008, 01:34 PM
I like a balanced type offense,where you use multiple skill guys to gain yards. This makes it hard for a defense to concentrate on stopping one aspect (run or pass) and makes it hard to key on one guy. I understand not all teams have a great deal of talent to choose from, and yes the slot T may be a good offense to use.
In the case of Llano, the risk with the Slot-T is that if the defense can stop the run, there is very little passing game to fall back on.

When you have enough of a physical advantage on the line play that the defense can't even stop what they know is coming, that one-dimensional nature of the offense isn't likely to be a problem. But if the defense manages to stop the run, a team which has no passing game could be in trouble.

So it often is with Llano. Against most opponents their Slot-T puts up a lot of points. But there is little or no passing game to use as "Plan B" if the run isn't working. As an example, against Bandera last week the Jackets racked up 506 yards of total offense -- 506 rushing and ZERO passing. Llano only attempted one pass.

Another common weakness for Llano is its pass defense. This is why a pass-happy team like Bandera gives the Jackets fits. Taken together, the best way to beat Llano is simple: contain their running game out of the Slot-T and have a fairly proficient passing game. Teams which can do these things are the teams which beat Llano.

As far as LH and the Slot-T goes, almost no one can dominate them physically on the line and they have a stronger defense against the pass. For these reasons they go much farther into the playoffs -- and all the way in '06 and '07.

As I said before, I don't think Taylor will stop the Slot-T, but I also don't think Llano will stop the Ducks, either. I like Llano in yet another high-scoring affair.

ziggy29
09-18-2008, 01:36 PM
oops -- double post, please disregard

LH Panther Mom
09-18-2008, 01:57 PM
I just don't like it because i think it does a poor job of allowing skill players to showcase their talent. Yes if you are good enough ou should go play somewhere, but I would think (on average) it would be hard for WR and QB to be recruited out of this offense. Even RB may not be recruited based on stats. They are in a system that is one dimensional.
:thinking: :thinking: So is getting the players recruited supposed to be the goal of high school coaches?

Silverback 04
09-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Headhunter, you are correct in your assessment, I was just questioning your quick strike theory. As a guy who comes from a football family (HS, Coll, and NFL) i can tell you that I don't understand how this offense has been so successful. Every game where the other team comes on the field with bigger, stronger, and faster athletes, I say this is it. The buck stops here. But it hasn't. The only explanation is coaching, good kids, hard work and the system. I agree that the system is not conducive to showcasing individual skills, but as a fan, i love it because it allows the average guy to excel and experience success. If your idea of success is only winning it all, then 99% of all high school players are failures. Ask a team that has never been to the playoffs if they would take 1 round deep and their answer will be absolutely! This system has made champions out of kids that might not make it elsewhere because of a lack of "skill". But thats OK. I'm in the Army and when I go to war, I don't need 50 Audie Murphy's, I need one Audie and 49 guys who are willing to do what it takes to win. That's what this system is about and I love watching it, even though I know it may not work quite the same at the 4A and 5A playyoff level. trust me, when that purple train gets rolling, it is fun to watch!!

Silverback 04
09-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:thinking: :thinking: So is getting the players recruited supposed to be the goal of high school coaches?

LHPM, there should be some focus on getting your kids recruited as it helps your kids and your program. Obviously not the first priority, but their should be some kids rewarded for their hard work. On that subject, has the Beast gotten any feelers. How tall is he and what are his prospects for stretching about another 2-3 inches.

Hill Man
09-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
Headhunter, you are correct in your assessment, I was just questioning your quick strike theory. As a guy who comes from a football family (HS, Coll, and NFL) i can tell you that I don't understand how this offense has been so successful. Every game where the other team comes on the field with bigger, stronger, and faster athletes, I say this is it. The buck stops here. But it hasn't. The only explanation is coaching, good kids, hard work and the system. I agree that the system is not conducive to showcasing individual skills, but as a fan, i love it because it allows the average guy to excel and experience success. If your idea of success is only winning it all, then 99% of all high school players are failures. Ask a team that has never been to the playoffs if they would take 1 round deep and their answer will be absolutely! This system has made champions out of kids that might not make it elsewhere because of a lack of "skill". But thats OK. I'm in the Army and when I go to war, I don't need 50 Audie Murphy's, I need one Audie and 49 guys who are willing to do what it takes to win. That's what this system is about and I love watching it, even though I know it may not work quite the same at the 4A and 5A playyoff level. trust me, when that purple train gets rolling, it is fun to watch!!

Ditto:clap: :clap: :clap:

sandmaster
09-18-2008, 02:17 PM
ziggy, llano does not need to pass when they can run for 506 yards. Bandera was scoring at will when they had the ball most of the time. Why would llano want to pass the ball and possibly stop the clock when they could run the ball easily on the Bandera defense and have the clock moving? Llano has not even had to pass the ball so far this year. So why are you assuming they can't?

ziggy29
09-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by sandmaster
ziggy, llano does not need to pass when they can run for 506 yards. Bandera was scoring at will when they had the ball most of the time. Why would llano want to pass the ball and possibly stop the clock when they could run the ball easily on the Bandera defense and have the clock moving? Llano has not even had to pass the ball so far this year. So why are you assuming they can't?
I think you misunderstand.

I'm not saying they should pass when the run is working. I am saying that a one-dimensional offense *can* be a concern if the defense is able to stop the run. Bandera knew it was coming and they couldn't stop it. In such a case, there *is* no reason to pass.

But if the defense knows it's coming and they CAN stop it, this isn't a team that's going to be able to mount a strong comeback with the passing game. At least that has been the case in years past. I suppose it's possible this year's team would have a stronger passing attack if it needed to use it, but based on past history, I wouldn't assume it.

sandmaster
09-18-2008, 02:28 PM
As i recall they have there two passing threats returning from last year. Is that correct? Just finding out info.

LH Panther Mom
09-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
LHPM, there should be some focus on getting your kids recruited as it helps your kids and your program. Obviously not the first priority, but their should be some kids rewarded for their hard work. On that subject, has the Beast gotten any feelers. How tall is he and what are his prospects for stretching about another 2-3 inches.
Oh, I know where he was coming from. For the most part, we don't have the size that D1's are looking for, but we do have a number of kids playing college ball, including @ Rice. But it wouldn't matter if we ran the spread, the veer, or leap frog. The size of the kids doesn't change from O to O. What's a normal-size college WR? RB? QB? (Ours, btw has a good chance at playing baseball in college.) OL? I know the answer: 6'3"-4", 280-300 lbs. In the past 6-8 years, I can think of three OL we've had that were tall enough, and one is at Rice now.

Yeah, he has a few feelers. Prospects for hitting 6' (barefooted) are pretty slim, at least in the next 3-4 months. (Sorry to have hijacked the thread.)

GO LLANO!

87 TIGER
09-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Llano whips Taylor by 14+ Llano O too much for the ducks

Hang Ten
09-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Taylor lost to Elgin by a last second FG. Elgin, with barely 4A enrollment runs the Slot/Wing T with some pretty good athletes. This may shape up to be a close game. Meyer and Jackson are a pretty good combo for the Ducks.

espn1
09-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:thinking: :thinking: So is getting the players recruited supposed to be the goal of high school coaches? If you're a good coach it is! Football = College = Education. A coach is a Teacher! A teachers job is to get that kid to the next level. Some make it some don't. That's my take on the matter! Some Coaches are motivated some aren't! That's why it's important to hire a good coach!

espn1
09-18-2008, 04:23 PM
sorry!

headhunter
09-18-2008, 05:00 PM
I see your point Silverback04, The one thing we both have to realize is that better athletes and more of them tend to make winning easier no matter what system they are running. The Slot T may be suitable for a team like llano. I like to see teams throw the football and spread it out, In my opinion, one of the hardest things to do at the high school level is teach pass defense, thats why teams like Wylie, Cuero, Celina, Brownwood are so successful year in year out. I also believe they have a great pool of athletes to choose from.

That brings me to my other point. for LHpanthermom, One reason their are powerhouse programs is because somewhere along the line a coach got his players to the next level and they became starters and where looked up to by the athletes coming up. (there are plenty of other reason to build a powerhouse program) What does every athlete want to do when they are 12 and 13? Play in the NFL or MLB or ... Yes you want your coach to be able to send players to the next level, that gives young athletes something to look forward to. My cousin played in the NFL and growing there were a few others that played in college and in the NFL. That gives you motivation to want to work hard, buy into the coaches system and be a coach able kid. We all know that not every kid can get recruited and play at the college level but the few that do give hope for many, especially in small 3A communities. The towns like Celina, Cuero, and now LH have kids not wanting to grow up and be Dallas Cowboys but their goals as 12 year olds are to play for their hometown school at that time.

K-MAC Chuck
09-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Please don't say Llano runs a great Slot-T.

They run it good enough to maybe win a playoff game. sometimes two.

David Yeager came to Llano when I was the News Editor at one of the Llano papers. He's a great guy and really good coach. After evaluating the situation at Llano, he realized the best way for Llano to improve its program was to go to the Slot-T.

He enlisted the help and researched the best Slot-T offenses then installed it at Llano. They've made progress each year; Coach Yeager told me on my radio show (in August) that they still have a ways to go.

David Yeager is a quality guy; Llano will continue to grow under his guidance.

And yes, Go Blue, Llano does need a better defense (as in, secondary).

solocam
09-18-2008, 08:20 PM
LLano by 17

espn1
09-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
David Yeager came to Llano when I was the News Editor at one of the Llano papers. He's a great guy and really good coach. After evaluating the situation at Llano, he realized the best way for Llano to improve its program was to go to the Slot-T.

He enlisted the help and researched the best Slot-T offenses then installed it at Llano. They've made progress each year; Coach Yeager told me on my radio show (in August) that they still have a ways to go.

David Yeager is a quality guy; Llano will continue to grow under his guidance.

And yes, Go Blue, Llano does need a better defense (as in, secondary). He was running the Slot T before he got to Llano! There were two chances of him ever changing his offense slim and none! I'm lost about what he relized? Everyone new what he was going to run before he ever got to Llano! Taylor's better this year than they were last year! I can't see them being much different than Rockdale! I expect a tight game!

ziggy29
09-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Llano marches 75 yards to start the game in usual fashion -- just pound the ball with the Slot-T. Jackets 7, Ducks 0. This will be a slugfest if Taylor can pass the football. If they can't, I think Llano has the upper hand.

ziggy29
09-19-2008, 08:23 PM
It'sa gonna be a shoot out...

Taylor quickly tied the game with their passing game (exposing Llano's achilles heel, its pass defense) and the Jackets pounded the ball right back down the field, including coming back from a sack that left them at 2nd and 18 from the Taylor 23 yard line to rip off gains of 15 and 8 yards for the TD.

Kick was missed. Llano leads 13-7, still fairly early.

[edit to add: same 13-7 score at halftime, Llano over Taylor. Both teams moved the ball well, but the drives were time-consuming. Taylor got down to about the Llano 15 when time ran out on them.]