PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater/Monahans on cover of....

GetRDoneStangs
09-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Dave Campells Texas Football website today!!!

Sweetwater named the magazines's "Division 3A Army Strong Teams of Week 2"

Class 3A: Sweetwater: Daniel Jackson carried the ball 8 times for 150 yards, including a 94-yard touchdown run in the second quarter, which helped the Mustangs upset state-ranked Monahans 17-14.

Link http://www.texasfootball.com/

Sweetwater Reporter Newspaper story

SHS named Army Strong Team of the Week
Written by Staff Reports
Wednesday, 17 September 2008
Dave Campbell’s Texas Football is proud to announce that the Sweetwater Mustangs have been named the Army Strong Team of the Week for Division 3A. Sweetwater edged out the favored Monahans Loboes, 17-14, last week. The Mustangs were chosen for this honor because of their teamwork, dedication, discipline, personal courage and integrity, values shared by U.S. Army Soldiers.
“Congratulations to the Mustangs for taking down one of the toughest teams in West Texas,” said Adam Hochfelder, general manager of Dave Campbell's Texas Football.
“The U.S. Army is recognizing the student-athletes at Sweetwater for demonstrating qualities similar to those exhibited by a US Army Soldier, who is mentally, emotionally and physically strong,” said Captain Joshua Fishman. “We expect to see some of these young men competing at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, the college level, or maybe even professionally in the future.”
Football players and soldiers share similar values, such as teamwork, dedication, discipline and loyalty.
Dave Campbell's Texas Football is an annual publication, previewing football teams in the state of Texas. It is unique in that it is the only publication to preview every team in Texas, from the NFL's Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans, through every level of college football, to the roughly 1,300 high schools (public and private) in the state. The magazine, known as the “bible” to football fans, was started in 1960 by Dave Campbell a longtime sportswriter in Texas. It is owned and operated by Host Communications, headquartered in Dallas.
Save a stint with the U.S. Army 14th Armored Division in France and Germany during World War II, Campbell spent 51 years as a member of the editorial staff at the Waco Tribune-Herald. Hired by the newspaper in 1942, Campbell became sports editor in 1953, and held that position until his retirement in 1993. The list of accolades and honors Campbell has received stretches as long as his career. Along with winning the Bronze Star for heroic achievement during World War II, Campbell has been presented the Bert McGrane Award and the Jake Wade Award, the highest honors given by the Football Writers' Association of America and the College Sports Information Directors of America, respectively.

Link http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/111122/1/

Congrats to the Mustangs!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Old Tiger
09-17-2008, 05:54 PM
nice....

Stangster
09-18-2008, 08:36 PM
...very nice. Go Mustangs!

Mustangpride09
09-18-2008, 11:08 PM
It wasn't much of an upset though, we were just flat out better than Monahans. This is still pretty sweet though.

tex_male
09-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
It wasn't much of an upset though, we were just flat out better than Monahans. This is still pretty sweet though.

LOL You did not see the second half of that game. What did Sweetwater have, 18 yards the second half? Monahans was flat the first half.

Old Tiger
09-19-2008, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Stangster
...very nice. Go Mustangs! super nice

WylieBulldog92
09-19-2008, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by tex_male
LOL You did not see the second half of that game. What did Sweetwater have, 18 yards the second half? Monahans was flat the first half.
Congrats bro, take your crow in stew or B-B-Q?

Sweetwater Red
09-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Monahans was flat the first half.

Yep...FLAT OUT PLAYED .:thumbsup:

garciap77
09-19-2008, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

:clap: :clap: :clap:

tex_male
09-19-2008, 02:20 PM

HAHAHAHAH:D

wtfootball
09-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Laugh now.
Cry later while sitting in the stands watching Monahans in December.

Mustangpride09
09-20-2008, 02:24 PM

No, Monahans got 3 fumbles in their favor which led to 2 touchdowns. That game was 2 plays away from being a 28-0 shutout.

Mustangpride09
09-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Not to mention since big red is dead, you guys really shouldnt have any excuse for losing that game.

Sweetwater Red
09-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by wtfootball
Laugh now.

17-14....

What was that song ya'll played at halftime of our playoff game
in December of 2005....Monahans 13 and :doh: ?:thinking:

mustang04
09-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
“Congratulations to the Mustangs for taking down one of the toughest teams in West Texas,” said Adam Hochfelder, general manager of Dave Campbell's Texas Football.

see...i remember whenever Sweetwater was THAT TOUGH WEST TEXAS TEAM that everybody was trying to beat.....sad times we are in right now whenever we are pretty much the underdog of most games, sad times indeed
:(

but good games guys...way to man-handle Clyde last night! just keep getting closer knit and hopefully by the time district rolls around yall will be ready for wylie, brownwood, etc etc!!!!:clap:

Sweetwater Red
09-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
see...i remember whenever Sweetwater was THAT TOUGH WEST TEXAS TEAM that everybody was trying to beat.....sad times we are in right now whenever we are pretty much the underdog of most games, sad times indeed
:(

but good games guys...way to man-handle Clyde last night! just keep getting closer knit and hopefully by the time district rolls around yall will be ready for wylie, brownwood, etc etc!!!!:clap:

I've only missed the Thursday night opener this season. Let me
tell you that in the three games I've seen, we are loads better
than we were at this point last year.

Stownhorse
09-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by wtfootball
Laugh now.

This guy...^:dispntd:

Mustangpride09
09-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
This guy...^:dispntd:

My sig says it all

Sweetwater Red
09-20-2008, 02:43 PM
My sig says it all

Yes it does...Monahans version of snydertigersrul.:thinking:

WTF-82
09-22-2008, 10:41 PM
No, Monahans got 3 fumbles in their favor which led to 2 touchdowns. That game was 2 plays away from being a 28-0 shutout.

Loboes also had many turnovers in this game 2 int in first half one of them in the end zone. The other which led to field goal to end first half. And the long run by sweetwater where our Lbs just flat out missed the rb the other touchdown was on 3rd down no one lined up on the receiver big mistake this is what kind of first half Monahans had mistake after mistake. We missed wide open receivers in first half I remember 2 of them could of gone for six and one of the Sweetwater interceptions our qb was trying to throw it out of bounds and did not get it out there far enough and Sweetwater DB right place at right time made a great grab. This lead to that Sweetwater Field goal which was the diffrence.
And before you think Sweetwater dominated Monahans. The Loboes scored to win the game and referee made a big call saying quincy the lobo QB stepped on the line at the 5 big call it was right in front of me wish we had a reply of that one but he probably did step out still not the diffrence Loboes still line up for field goal on the right hash mark and the kicker just flat out kicked it straight and ball was just wide right he did not even turn his hips man I was upset with that one not the kickers falt though Loboes made many mistakes in this one. A s far as Sweetwater turnovers our Defensive End Owens forced 2 of these and he just flat out took the ball out of the RB hand. Big time player just a junior. Great Game though.

Stangs325
09-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by ***-82
Loboes also had many turnovers in this game 2 int in first half one of them in the end zone. The other which led to field goal to end first half. And the long run by sweetwater where our Lbs just flat out missed the rb the other touchdown was on 3rd down no one lined up on the receiver big mistake this is what kind of first half Monahans had mistake after mistake. We missed wide open receivers in first half I remember 2 of them could of gone for six and one of the Sweetwater interceptions our qb was trying to throw it out of bounds and did not get it out there far enough and Sweetwater DB right place at right time made a great grab. This lead to that Sweetwater Field goal which was the diffrence.
And before you think Sweetwater dominated Monahans. The Loboes scored to win the game and referee made a big call saying quincy the lobo QB stepped on the line at the 5 big call it was right in front of me wish we had a reply of that one but he probably did step out still not the diffrence Loboes still line up for field goal on the right hash mark and the kicker just flat out kicked it straight and ball was just wide right he did not even turn his hips man I was upset with that one not the kickers falt though Loboes made many mistakes in this one. A s far as Sweetwater turnovers our Defensive End Owens forced 2 of these and he just flat out took the ball out of the RB hand. Big time player just a junior. Great Game though.

if i recall right if the refs would of called it right monahans would of had 1 less touchdown

WTF-82
09-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Stangs325
if i recall right if the refs would of called it right monahans would of had 1 less touchdown

explain

Tres Lobos
09-22-2008, 11:10 PM
i think he is talking about the loboes first touchdown when our fullback fumbled into the endzone but i saw it on film and he was in already, and on the play when they called quincy out of bounds, he did step out but only by about a half an inch or so, but either way he was still out

Sweetwater Red
09-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Tres Lobos
i think he is talking about the loboes first touchdown when our fullback fumbled into the endzone but i saw it on film and he was in already, and on the play when they called quincy out of bounds, he did step out but only by about a half an inch or so, but either way he was still out

I don't understand why the officials bothered to huddle after
that play. The SJ/LJ(?) was right on top of it. What were the
rest of them able to see that he wasn't?:confused:

DaHop72
09-23-2008, 10:34 AM
I don't understand why the officials bothered to huddle after
that play. The SJ/LJ(?) was right on top of it. What were the
rest of them able to see that he wasn't?:confused:
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff239/DaHop72/mice.jpg

:D