PDA

View Full Version : Punt Returners

kepdawg
09-17-2008, 03:47 PM
How hard is it to field a punt? Why would a team's punt returner be different than the kickoff returners?

Emerson1
09-17-2008, 03:55 PM
I would want someone with pure speed returning kicks, and someone who is agile because more than likely they will be getting hit within a second of getting the ball. The kick return just has to follow blockers and run fast.

Old Tiger
09-17-2008, 03:56 PM
if the team has a bad punter it is tougher to field a punt. I would want my most agile player back their

LHexPlayer
09-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I would want someone with pure speed returning kicks, and someone who is agile because more than likely they will be getting hit within a second of getting the ball. The kick return just has to follow blockers and run fast.

A punt returner has to have no fear. When you catch a kickoff you have more time once you catch the ball to look up field. Once you catch a punt you better find that first guy that wants to take your head off and get away from him fast. I loved catching punts. Most of the time you get to create something out of nothing.

espn1
09-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
How hard is it to field a punt? Why would a team's punt returner be different than the kickoff returners? Hang time Baby! It's a lot different! Because your not lined up head to head on a kick off! You have a buffer zone !

kepdawg
09-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by espn1
Hang time Baby! It's a lot different! Because your not lined up head to head on a kick off! You have a buffer zone !

I've never seen a punt returner lined up head to head with anybody! ;)

espn1
09-17-2008, 04:05 PM
I've never seen a punt returner lined up head to head with anybody! ;) I'm talking about the line!

kepdawg
09-17-2008, 04:06 PM
It still seems that one of three deep men for kickoffs should be able to return punts.

LHexPlayer
09-17-2008, 04:08 PM
It still seems that one of three deep men for kickoffs should be able to return punts.

They can. It just takes a different skill set to do them. I would say all punt returners can be kickoff returners but not all kick returners can be punt returners.

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2008, 06:46 PM
You want your KO guy to be pure speed, find a seam and bust thru it maybe dodge one tackle

you PR has to be a guy who can make cuts, and make guys miss and then hit the seam