Originally posted by kepdawg
Which is better against the Slot T?

I prefer a Cover 2 Man.

Old Tiger
09-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Punt block/return :D

popcorn screen
09-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Stop the run and force them to pass. Oh, and you might want to adjust your defense to defend the ST

Emerson1
09-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I prefer a Cover 2 Man.
They have the slot t in ncaa?

RiverRat19
09-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Its a goal line O so run a goal line D vs it... its all about stopping the run and staying on top of those who go out for passes...

I'd say a Cov 2 is best. Hard corners can cover the flats with safeties over the top... Plus the corners can help on the sweeps, etc on the edges... but what do I know...

lange4
09-17-2008, 10:42 PM
yes, just because you run the slot-t does not mean you cannot throw the football. LH may only average 2 passes a game,but other slot-t teams may throw 12-15 times.

headhunter
09-17-2008, 10:52 PM
I agree with the statement above. You have to play run first and play like your inside the 10 yard line. Cover 2 may be successful but I would think about a cover 1. You have to realize that the offense is not going to send many wide receivers into the pass pattern when a pass play is called. The TE is usually a huge weapon. And most pass plays are rollouts, so you are really either only going to cover a back out of the backfield and the TE. The corners will have to hold their own with the WR's. Having one safety over the top (cover one) is probably a pretty good D. The main thing is, as a Defense you can not get lulled to sleep by the 2 and 3 yard runs and forget about the pass. Thats when one TE dump pass can turn into a big play.

I really hate the Slot T for a number of reasons. I think it does a bad job of allowing players (other than RB's) to show off skills, also it boring to watch, also because it is hardly used at the college level it does not help you get recruited. Yes some teams run it and they run it well, but if they fall behind by 2 or more scores then they are in trouble.

My way of attacking it is to create havoc in the backfield, you have to blitz or stunt LB and lineman to not allow RB's to go down hill. If you can get a loss on first or second down and put them into a must pass situation on 3rd down then you have them where you want them. If you play straight up and let them pound it 3 to 4 yards a time then you get worn down, and with many players going both ways in 3A, that is how teams that are successful at the slot T wear you down.

headhunter
09-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by lange4
yes, just because you run the slot-t does not mean you cannot throw the football. LH may only average 2 passes a game,but other slot-t teams may throw 12-15 times.

I would bet the average is around 4 to 6. And I bet they may only throw once a game on first down. They only throw when they have to. Yes there are some exceptions.

c-town_balla
09-17-2008, 10:59 PM
cover 2 man is two deep safeties with the LBs and CBs manned up

headhunter
09-17-2008, 11:07 PM
and your point?

lange4
09-17-2008, 11:25 PM
yes I agree it hard to come back when you are 14+ points down. You also need a decent defense. But when you are a school that does not usually have top skill position players but has decent athleticism (albiet not size) it is a good offense to run.

headhunter
09-17-2008, 11:28 PM
you have a point, but I dont think the odds of winning a state championship are high with that offense. maybe in 3A and on down. But when you get up against a good athletic and big team deep in the playoffs, its hard to win. You dont see to many teams do it successfully especially in the 4A and 5A level.