09-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by grmfan93
Whats your opinion on this game

I think it should be a good game.
Im going to take Graham by 10
X2

nobogey72
09-17-2008, 05:28 PM
I don't think Graham can beat anyone. IF... they can beat Breckenridge, then they will be 1-9.:taunt: :taunt:

Old Tiger
09-17-2008, 05:28 PM
whoever wins it'll be by 3

Wolf Playa
09-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Saw Film of IP vs Childress, wasnt bad IP played a decent game even tho they lost 28-17, i will take IP by 13

popcorn screen
09-17-2008, 10:20 PM
No Bogey, that is harsh. I see it 7-6 Ip in th 4th quarter and the Steers go for 2 and fall short.

RedWhiteBlue
09-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I don't think Graham can beat anyone. IF... they can beat Breckenridge, then they will be 1-9.:taunt: :taunt:
As much as we are struggling right now, we have a better chance of winning tomorrow night than his dawgies do.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
GO STEERS!!!! BEAT THE HAWKS!!!!

Dominicfrank
09-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Hard to think Graham will lose to IP but I have been shocked about Graham this year.

BwdLions
09-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Dominicfrank
Hard to think Graham will lose to IP but I have been shocked about Graham this year.

This is not the Graham team you're used to seeing. They are young and have a tough schedule ahead of them. If they don't beat IP, it may be a really long season.

DaHop72
09-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Graham by 14.

Tromboneking
09-18-2008, 11:38 AM
I love the Steers, but they are so young this year. I just don't see them beating IP, but I hope I am wrong. I am not sure they will win a game this season. Again...hope I am wrong.:(

Spaceman_Spiff
09-18-2008, 01:02 PM
So McCoy has gone from missing the playoffs his first year in Graham...to going 4 rounds his second year...to exiting in the second round last year...to a possible 0-10? They'll beat IP, not sure about Breckenridge, and they could upset one of the other teams in their district. That being said, they still end up 3-7 at best. Isn't this the first class that McCoy has had for all 4 years?...YIKES!!!

jockcity33
09-18-2008, 03:44 PM
nothing like building a program....

Tromboneking
09-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Spaceman- yeah this is McCoy's first group, but he lost almost his whole team to graduation last year. I think basically 80% of the team had never played a down on Friday night before the Clyde game. Not much depth. I really don't think they will beat IP...

nobogey72
09-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
As much as we are struggling right now, we have a better chance of winning tomorrow night than his dawgies do.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
GO STEERS!!!! BEAT THE HAWKS!!!!

I knew I could get you out of hiding.:kiss: :kiss:

Quit pouting and get back on here and show us some of that smartass that we have grown to love. :cheerl: :cheerl:

I think you know how I feel about IP, so I hope it's a lopsided victory for the Steers.

popcorn screen
09-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Someone mentioned earlier about building a program in Graham. I am not sure, but their last coach appeared to have built the program. I dont have a clue to what his record was, but I saw them play a couple of times in the playoffs and they lost to the eventual state champ twice. GHS was good and they played tough def. Not from the area, but from what I say in the playoffs, the program seemed solid. Someone from steer land clue me in if I am off.

grmfan93
09-19-2008, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by popcorn screen
Someone mentioned earlier about building a program in Graham. I am not sure, but their last coach appeared to have built the program. I dont have a clue to what his record was, but I saw them play a couple of times in the playoffs and they lost to the eventual state champ twice. GHS was good and they played tough def. Not from the area, but from what I say in the playoffs, the program seemed solid. Someone from steer land clue me in if I am off.
that makes sense....we always won district and went to playoffs and seemed like we always played wylie and lost.

Coach Mccoy has done a good job to so i guess you could say that both coaches have don well at GRaham

VWG
09-19-2008, 08:37 AM
First off... HS Football isn't like a college program. Someone mentioned that this group of Sr. kids is McCoy's first group that has been with him all 4 years he has been HC at Graham.
Do you think he went out and recruited these kids? Heck no, just the cards he's been dealt.
David Bourquin (now HC at Mineral Wells) was the coach at Graham before and had a run of I think 5 or 6 straight district titles. Ran the split veer and guy named Wright was his DC. (Who is now at Aledo)
Iowa Park and Graham are similar teams this year.... both very young. IP and Graham are having to start several sophomores and juniors that have had zero varsity experience. Both of these teams will continue to improve as those young guys get their experience and get adjusted to the speed of varsity football. Until then... it's gonna take some growing pains for Hawk and Steer fans to suffer through.
Note- Graham was starting 4 sophomores and IP was starting 5 at the start of the season. Graham has moved up 2 more sophomores from their JV to Varsity.

Spaceman_Spiff
09-19-2008, 02:40 PM
I agree that Coach McCoy has to play with the cards he has been dealt, but shouldn't he also build a program. Everyone in 3A uses sophmores (Celina even used a Freshman last year). Did Borquin inherit a program that had won "5 or 6" District Championships, or did he build the program? I ask, because I don't know. I do know that Mineral Wells isn't a 4A powerhouse (which could invalidate my argument).

I sure don't want to argue with you VWG, because I have read your posts for years and you are always on top of your game...I was just making an observation and stating what looked obvious to me.

Good luck to half of you Friday night...to the other half, stay after it!!!

garciap77
09-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Graham by 14.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Spaceman_Spiff
I agree that Coach McCoy has to play with the cards he has been dealt, but shouldn't he also build a program. Everyone in 3A uses sophmores (Celina even used a Freshman last year). Did Borquin inherit a program that had won "5 or 6" District Championships, or did he build the program? I ask, because I don't know. I do know that Mineral Wells isn't a 4A powerhouse (which could invalidate my argument).

I sure don't want to argue with you VWG, because I have read your posts for years and you are always on top of your game...I was just making an observation and stating what looked obvious to me.

Good luck to half of you Friday night...to the other half, stay after it!!!

I agree with the Spaceman and I rarely disagree with VWG. But after 4 years of the same offense & defense the kids should be indoctrinated. Each school has good years and bad years talent wise but the execution of the plan on both side of the ball should be solid by 4 years.

GHSAlum08
09-19-2008, 10:42 PM
I feel qualified to answer this question. I was a trainer for Graham for the 07 and 08 season. As far as blaming McCoy for the teams struggles is a little unfair. It's not that the players don't know the system, its that they aren't as athletic as the class I graduated with. I remember last year there was so much buzz in the school about how far would we go. We had such an amazing group of seniors. I also did train for JV games occasionally and I would notice that they lacked the intelligence and athleticism to keep up with their opponent. Graham's struggles will continue for a while, however the future does look bright.........for the basketball team.

SNYDER325TIGERS
09-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by GHSAlum08
I feel qualified to answer this question. I was a trainer for Graham for the 07 and 08 season. As far as blaming McCoy for the teams struggles is a little unfair. It's not that the players don't know the system, its that they aren't as athletic as the class I graduated with. I remember last year there was so much buzz in the school about how far would we go. We had such an amazing group of seniors. I also did train for JV games occasionally and I would notice that they lacked the intelligence and athleticism to keep up with their opponent. Graham's struggles will continue for a while, however the future does look bright.........for the football team.

GHSAlum08
09-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Hey bish don't edit my post. BTW I was serious the basketball team is going to be good this and next year.

grmfan93
09-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Graham-41 IP-24

garciap77
09-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by grmfan93
Graham-41 IP-24

:clap: :clap: :clap:

SNYDER325TIGERS
09-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Good to see them bring in a win.

VWG
09-20-2008, 01:10 AM
Z- you mentioned in the Breck / Vernon game that Vernon might have a hard time making the playoffs this year. What about Coach Hall and his staff having the current senior group for at least 4 years? Those kids have been playing under Hall and his system for their HS careers. Vernon has great tradition, but every once in a while there will be a group of athletes that isn't up to standards that some of the other classes had before them.
What I am trying to say is that don't just judge McCoy on this. I don't have a dog in the fight, but coaches work their tails off and there are a ton of armchair quarterbacks out there who think they know what it takes to make a winner. (No offense here, I ain't taking shots at anybody) You can have all the perfect execution in the world out on the field, but if their 4.5 40yd OLB can run your 4.9 40yd RB down on the edge it just comes down to what is physically and mentally on the field.
Think Vernon would like D. Williams back at QB this year?
Think Graham could use Sparks back at MLB this year? Sweetwater would like to clone another M. Carrillo and put him back at QB. The list goes on and on.
Stephenville... great tradition right? Solid program right? Take a look at their record so far this year.
Just trying to make a point that coaches will "coach 'em up" as best they can. You still have to have the horses to race with.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-20-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Z- you mentioned in the Breck / Vernon game ...

Agreed, but I think the deal with Graham is , that they were so successful winning all those district championships every year that the fans (citizens) wanted a change because the former coach failed to win a playoff game. They got the change with very high expectations (McCoy had quite a resume) and Graham has been up and down rather than consistent. They have won some playoff games but they also lost the district championship to Vernon last year and to IP a couple of years ago. Maybe with the style of offense that McCoy runs you have to have a certain level of athlete to run it -- which he can not control that. With the veer you can get more out of that same athlete that is not that talented. So that is my take.

Vernon may be in that cycle of fielding an average team we are 2-2. But the fans expect Coach Hall to put a state contender on the field year in and year out. I think that is what Graham fans expect too. I have not seen Vernon or Graham play this year so I can't gauge what I think the problems are -- hopefully both programs can get things looking better by district (just hate to be in Graham's district though).

VWG
09-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Agreed, but I think the deal with Graham is , that they were so successful winning all those district championships every year that the fans (citizens) wanted a change because the former coach failed to win a playoff game. They got the change with very high expectations (McCoy had quite a resume) and Graham has been up and down rather than consistent. They have won some playoff games but they also lost the district championship to Vernon last year and to IP a couple of years ago. Maybe with the style of offense that McCoy runs you have to have a certain level of athlete to run it -- which he can not control that. With the veer you can get more out of that same athlete that is not that talented. So that is my take.

Vernon may be in that cycle of fielding an average team we are 2-2. But the fans expect Coach Hall to put a state contender on the field year in and year out. I think that is what Graham fans expect too. I have not seen Vernon or Graham play this year so I can't gauge what I think the problems are -- hopefully both programs can get things looking better by district (just hate to be in Graham's district though).

Good point. I do agree on the fact that "fans" always love a winner. I saw a piece the other day on ESPN about a small Iowa town that was devastated by a tornado. The HC there made a comment that stuck with me "If the only thing we teach your son is the game of football, then we have failed as coaches."
We all need to think about that for a minute.

Texas Grid Iron
09-20-2008, 10:24 AM
If their passing game is on and hitting on all cylinders they can beat Sweetwater. To beat them you have to control or not let them dominate the LOS. They both dominated the LOS on both sides of the ball and we had 6 TO's two inside the 20. The did not beat us as bad as it looks we beat ourselves as much as they did. 2ndary of Sweetwater is very suspect they can stop the run but not the pass Clyde had the game plan in place but too many busted routes dropped passes and fumbles. That is one of them type of games you like to have out of your system before district rolls in. Go fast pace no huddle keep it in the air contain Mccain from getting to the QB and you should be in this one.

grmfan93
09-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
X2

good call...well pretty close anyways