PDA

View Full Version : Evacuees

Farmersfan
09-17-2008, 12:12 PM
It appears that 2 starting linemen for the 5A Baytown team have evacuated to Farmersville and are awaiting approval to play for the Farmers. Anyone know of any history for this kind of thing? Will UIL normally approve the transfer and play of a athlete who is evacuated due to a storm? I understand the Baytown school is closed indefinately..........

PPHSfan
09-17-2008, 12:22 PM
K know there were a ton of athletes allowed to play across Louisiana after Katrina, but have not heard of what the UIL might do.

kepdawg
09-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Read This (http://www.uil.utexas.edu/policy/pdf/Ike_waiver.pdf)

Old Green
09-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Local TV Station here in the Victoria area has reported that the UIL has raised some of the rules to allow to students to attend schools else where. During Katreinaa number of kids played ball. I don't know if it will be allowed for sports this time.

PPHSfan
09-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Here is gonna be the kicker.

"Student athletes who attend a school other than the one assigned by the ISD in which their family is temporarily housed would be ineligible for varsity athletic
participation for one calendar year."

kepdawg
09-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

"Student athletes who attend a school other than the one assigned by the ISD in which their family is temporarily housed would be ineligible for varsity athletic

That wouldn't be an issue in Farmersville.

Farmersfan
09-17-2008, 12:33 PM
Farmersville is a "Single High School" district so this would not apply. It appears that as soon as the District files the appropriate vouchers that these young men will become eligible.

Originally posted by PPHSfan

LH Panther Mom
09-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Farmersville is a "Single High School" district so this would not apply. It appears that as soon as the District files the appropriate vouchers that these young men will become eligible.
If I remember correctly from Katrina and Rita, even single hs districts could be affected. If the temporary housing is in one town, they cannot play in another town. (see Gilbert Moye :( )

kepdawg
09-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
If I remember correctly from Katrina and Rita, even single hs districts could be affected. If the temporary housing is in one town, they cannot play in another town. (see Gilbert Moye :( )

Single HS ISD's would not be affected by what PPHS posted.

LH Panther Mom
09-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Single HS ISD's would not be affected by what PPHS posted.
:doh: Yeah, I just reread it.

kaorder1999
09-17-2008, 01:22 PM

nm

kaorder1999
09-17-2008, 01:26 PM
They are going to have to file for a waiver from Austin...(will take a little while) will have to be approved by a District Executive Committe (can take a little while) and then have to wait to hear back from Austin (which will take a little while) before they are eligible for Varsity athletics.

Txbroadcaster
09-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
They are going to have to file for a waiver from Austin...(will take a little while) will have to be approved by a District Executive Committe (can take a little while) and then have to wait to hear back from Austin (which will take a little while) before they are eligible for Varsity athletics.

I have a feeling most of this will be fasttracked and will not take as long

kaorder1999
09-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I have a feeling most of this will be fasttracked and will not take as long

but DEC's can take a while. Have to get every coach together in that District...and you know that some will not want their opponents to get any more players!

firstcat
09-17-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

and then they have to wait fifteen days...

Farmersfan
09-19-2008, 08:23 AM
The latest news is that the Farmersville ISD denied enrollment to these boys because their parents were not moving to Farmersville. Apparently the parents will stay in Baytown and rebuild. And I was told the OTHER high school in Baytown will be opening soon so the boys are expected to go there. (Same district). so forget all the previous information. They will not be playing ball in Farmersville........

LH Panther Mom
09-19-2008, 11:43 AM
So these boys are not allowed to attend school? :confused:

kepdawg
09-19-2008, 11:44 AM
So these boys are not allowed to attend school? :confused:

Not without their guardians!

LH Panther Mom
09-19-2008, 11:45 AM
:doh: :doh: I hate when I only read every other word of a post. I get it now! :doh:

Farmersfan
09-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Guardians? Guardians? We don't need no stinkin' guardians!!