PDA

View Full Version : Mavs' Howard reportedly disresepcts anthem in YouTube video

Maroon87
09-17-2008, 10:33 AM
ESPN.com news services

DALLAS -- A YouTube video from a charity flag football game in July has Dallas Mavericks' forward Josh Howard embroiled in controversy yet again.

The video, from Allen Iverson's event, shows Howard, as the national anthem is being sung, saying: "'The Star-Spangled Banner' is going on. I don't celebrate this [expletive]. I'm black." Howard also makes a hard-to-hear reference to Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said, according to the Dallas Morning News, that the team dealt with Howard at the time of the incident. He added that the team has a plan in place to address the issue at training camp.

"That said, we will be going through some advanced communication-skill sessions together this training camp," Cuban said Tuesday. "I have explained to him that cellphone cameras are not your friend and that what you think you said on camera is never what people will hear when it shows up on YouTube or TV."

Also in July, Howard was arrested and charged with speeding (94 mph in a 55 mph zone), careless and reckless driving, and speed competition in North Carolina. He was been released from the Forsyth County jail on a written promise to appear in court Sept. 23.

In that incident, police said an officer saw a black Lexus and a silver Volkswagen speeding along U.S. 421. The officer stopped the Lexus, and Howard was identified as the driver.

Last year, Howard admitted he is an occasional marijuana user. And in 2006, Howard opted out of playing for the U.S. Olympic team program, reportedly because he said it conflicted with his summer training camps.

Information from The Associated Press is included in this report

blowfish
09-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Yet another reason why I will not watch the Dallas Mavericks.

pirate4state
09-17-2008, 10:39 AM
wow :doh:

lion75
09-17-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm sick of this loser. Cuban is wearing on me as well.

SLIKK
09-17-2008, 11:57 AM
If you don't like the anthem just stand there.. There's no use in opening your big mouth.. If he played for me I would cut him, nuff said !! He ain't even that GREAT, he's a role player making the Mavericks look like poo !!

District303aPastPlayer
09-17-2008, 02:21 PM
as disrespectful as it is, its still his right to say what he pleases...

Old Tiger
09-17-2008, 02:26 PM
get that dude a QP he needs to chill

Emerson1
09-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Video isn't even that bad and is saying it while laughing. Will see this same thing at any DISD game

JR2004
09-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Video isn't even that bad and is saying it while laughing. Will see this same thing at any DISD game

No you really don't see that at DISD games.

Howard is going about getting out of Dallas the wrong way. It's not hard to figure out the man wants to go elsewhere, but the best way to get yourself traded is by talking about it behind closed doors. Making ridiculous statements like this when you make your living in a place where patriotism runs high is not very wise at all.

eagles_victory
09-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
as disrespectful as it is, its still his right to say what he pleases... Yea I guess thats fine if you want to disrespect the people who earned that right for you. I for one think it is a big deal

cameron91
09-17-2008, 06:33 PM
this was just a brotha man expressing himself around his road dawgs.if you go back to the Miami and Dallas championship game , you can see him singing the national anthem during the first game.he's has the right to say what ever he feels.at the same time their has been over 20 million fellow americans that has given their life for him to keep this right.so out of respect for them he should have just shut up...

Farmersfan
09-18-2008, 09:12 AM
I hope he keeps talking. I find it revealing that he feels a connection to Obama with this Anti-American sentiment. A few more words of wisdom from Josh Howard might be all it takes to sink the Obama political ship..................

Originally posted by cameron91
this was just a brotha man expressing himself around his road dawgs.if you go back to the Miami and Dallas championship game , you can see him singing the national anthem during the first game.he's has the right to say what ever he feels.at the same time their has been over 20 million fellow americans that has given their life for him to keep this right.so out of respect for them he should have just shut up...

bulldog64
09-18-2008, 09:24 AM
What`s scarier is that Cuban`s defense was "Josh needs to be more careful and watch what he says when the cameras are rolling". That sounds more like "I know what you mean Josh, just don`t say it aloud in front of a camera`s. Unfortunatley it is his American right to say what he wants. Thanks to all the men and women that have made it and kept it that way. Put a gun in his hands and a 100 pound backpack on him with a helmet strapped on his head and toss him out in Afghanistan. Maybe he`ll learn a tad bit of something called "Respect". Making millions of American dollars, oh well, you bite the hands that feed you enough times, they`ll eventually quit feeding you.

Emerson1
09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I hope he keeps talking. I find it revealing that he feels a connection to Obama with this Anti-American sentiment. A few more words of wisdom from Josh Howard might be all it takes to sink the Obama political ship..................
I don't think Josh Howard is going to affect the race. Anyone that would listen to him likely wouldn't take the time out of their day to vote.

3afan
09-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by bulldog64
What`s scarier is that Cuban`s defense was "Josh needs to be more careful and watch what he says when the cameras are rolling". That sounds more like "I know what you mean Josh, just don`t say it aloud in front of a camera`s. ...

thats idiotic ...