PDA

View Full Version : Alaska - the 49th State

Phil C
09-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Soon the Alaska commemerative quarter will be coming out. I will be the next to last one in the series.

Alaska became a State in 1959 after being a territory for many years. It was purchased in 1867 from Russia for $7.2 Million dollars. This was done when the agreement between Russia and U.S. Secretary of State William Seward was reached. Most Americans were positive about the purchase but some of the newspapers criticized Seward for paying so much money for a big "wasteland." They referred to it as Seward's follie but it turned out to be a major bargain.
The Russians sold it to us because they needed money for some other projects and didn't want to spend the money to keep Alaska. They also didn t want Great Britain to get it as the British were expanding their empire in the Pacific at the time and the Russians considered them competitors.
There was a great Gold Rush to Alaska in the late 1800s so the money was recovered many times over. Not only gold but other minerals and industry adds to the great bargain.
Also after WW2 the Cold War started and it was much better for Alaska to have been in our hands than the Russian (called Soviet Union until 1989).

We were fortunate indeed to have this great state in our boundaries.

The great 1960 movie North to Alaska starring John Wayne was set there in the gold rush in 1901. The title song was sung by Texan Johnny Horton.

Pick6
09-16-2008, 03:59 PM
It's unfortunate that the liberals won't let Alaska live up to it's end of the contract they signed when they actually became a state. :thinking:

Phil C
09-16-2008, 04:02 PM
As an interesting note Arizona was the 48th State and it was the last "mainland' state. It is located in the southwest part of the United States between California and New Mexico. It became a state on February 14, 1912. It was to be about 47 years before we had another State join us.
There was a great movie made in the later 1960s called Arizona Rangers which starred Texan Audie Murphy. Buster Crabb, a great western star and winner in swimming in the Olympics in 1932, starred in that movie as the Ranger captain.

espn1
09-16-2008, 09:33 PM
I hope to get to Alaska in a few years! I've never had the pleasure!