PDA

View Full Version : New Region III GoTW: Gilmer @ Kilgore (merged)

easttexas3a
09-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Who do you think will win.

I like Kilgore in this one honestly. I don't believe that gilmer will be able to stop the running attack by Kilgore, and the Gilmer O will be kept off the field. Kilgore D is very good as well. I like Kilgore 28-21.

pirate4state
09-15-2008, 02:27 PM
I was thinking 35-28 Kilgore, but I hope the Buckeyes can prove me wrong!

rockdale80
09-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Gilmer is extremely overrated and Kilgore will destroy them. Gilmer only put up 77 against Rains. That seems pretty pathetic. ;)

Dieselsmoke
09-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Kilgore should win this one, too big, too fast.

pirate4state
09-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Gilmer is extremely overrated and Kilgore will destroy them. Gilmer only put up 77 against Rains. That seems pretty pathetic. ;) LOL I'm gonna tell you know who! :p

waterboy
09-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Well...........in case you didn't know, I'm a homer.:D Yes, I picked Gilmer for 2 reasons: 1) I'm a homer and will not pick against the Buckeyes; 2) I think Gilmer has a realistic chance at winning.

Keys to the game:
1) Defensively, the Buckeyes must be able to keep the Bulldogs from deflating the ball. Kilgore can't be allowed to run the ball consistently and keep the ball away from the Buckeye offense. This means the defense must be able to stay in their lanes and maintain good tackling position. If they are unable to do this, Kilgore will wear them down by the 4th quarter.

2) Offensively, the Buckeyes must be able to execute. Limit the dropped passes and fumbled snaps. Some of those have stopped some of Gilmer's drives this year. Against a good 4A team in Kilgore, these mistakes will cost you the game.

3) Gilmer must dictate the tempo to Kilgore, not the other way around. The only way to do that is to do the first two keys well.

Aesculus gilmus
09-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Gilmer will win this one way more easily than people think.

Usually, if the offense has an off night, it comes back the next week with a basketball score. I see that happening here.

waterboy
09-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus

Usually, if the offense has an off night, it comes back the next week with a basketball score. I see that happening here.
Really? Against Kilgore? I hope you're right, but the Bulldogs have been known for a ball control offense and a stout defense. If Gilmer can get at least three 3-and-outs they have a chance at putting up 35 points maybe. You can't score if you don't have the ball........well, unless the defense or special teams scores for you. The question I have is whether the defense can stop their offense. They must be able to shadow the runners better, stay in their lanes, and plug the holes that Kilgore's big offensive line is bound to make. The Buckeye offense must also execute better, i.e. less dropped passes, fumbled snaps, etc. I really can see them executing much better this week, and I think they will. I also think they will win this game.

easttexas3a
09-15-2008, 09:33 PM
the great thing about this is the kid Reddic from Kilgore is probably in the same class as Tucker from C-Hill, and soem of the other backs we may run into later in the year. Will be a great chance to see where we are really at. I think LE showed us that we can beat good 3a teams even if we may not be playing our best, however this week with Kilgore will probably let us know if we can play with the La Vegas, Navasotas, the guys we will need to beat in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I'm sure Kilgore is looking at Gilmer in the same aspect, we probably give them a great look since they will be battling Whitehouse for a district title.

lostaussie
09-16-2008, 09:09 AM
I came into work taking alot of smack this morning. Living in Gilmer and working in Kilgore is going to deal me some misery this week...............especially if we lose. They have had this game circled for a while. The dogs will be way bigger than we are, so line play will be critical. If we can give Stump time to throw I think we can hurt them. And we better not win..............cause if we do, I will have some sad employees come Monday:D

waterboy
09-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
I came into work taking alot of smack this morning. Living in Gilmer and working in Kilgore is going to deal me some misery this week...............especially if we lose. They have had this game circled for a while. The dogs will be way bigger than we are, so line play will be critical. If we can give Stump time to throw I think we can hurt them. And we better not win..............cause if we do, I will have some sad employees come Monday:D
I, too, work in Kilgore and live in Gilmer. Only a couple of my fellow employees are from Kilgore and neither keep up with the Bulldogs, so there's not any smacking going on. How boring! I think the Buckeyes will find a way to win. They'll definitely have to execute on offense better and the defense will have to limit those Bulldog drives. I'm thinking they will do it well enough to win.

R3Editor
09-16-2008, 12:16 PM
After the Navasota/Bellville game got cancelled, it was either Gilmer/Kilgore or Jasper/West Orange-Stark. I feel at this point in the season with the way Jasper has struggled, the former would be the more competitive game. I know Kilgore is 4A, but this will be a good matchup. I wish the Jasper Bulldogs good luck, provided the game even gets played due to electricity concerns. Keep us posted East Texas fans.

Now for discussion on this great matchup!

garciap77
09-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Going with Gilmer!

lostaussie
09-16-2008, 12:33 PM
wow...........3 out of 4 weeks!!!!!! and next week we get Daingerfield in Daingerfield. Are we the only team that is playing any competition:thinking:

pirate4state
09-16-2008, 12:39 PM
wow...........3 out of 4 weeks!!!!!! and next week we get Daingerfield in Daingerfield. Are we the only team that is playing any competition:thinking: Well, with most of the region III teams being unable to play this week yalls looked like the most interesting game.

:cheerl: GO BUCKEYES! :cheerl:

navscanmaster
09-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Well, Hurricane Ike has ruffled the competitive games the last two weeks. As you can see, even if Kirbyville/WOS was picked last week, it would have been for null. Same with Bellville/Navasota. And WOS/Jasper might not get played. Crockett and Madisonville would be a good matchup for two teams on a more even playing field, but not two really good teams. That is what you get in Gilmer/Kilgore or Gilmer/TLE.

lostaussie
09-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Well, Hurricane Ike has ruffled the competitive games the last two weeks. As you can see, even if Kirbyville/WOS was picked last week, it would have been for null. Same with Bellville/Navasota. And WOS/Jasper might not get played. Crockett and Madisonville would be a good matchup for two teams on a more even playing field, but not two really good teams. That is what you get in Gilmer/Kilgore or Gilmer/TLE. any idea on when you guys will be up and running?

navscanmaster
09-16-2008, 02:11 PM
any idea on when you guys will be up and running?
Hopefully next week, or this weekend. Our next game is at Green Stadium, formerly Viking Stadium, in Bryan against the Rudder Rangers. Bryan has not lost any power.

rockdale80
09-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by R3Editor
After the Navasota/Bellville game got cancelled, it was either Gilmer/Kilgore or Jasper/West Orange-Stark. I feel at this point in the season with the way Jasper has struggled, the former would be the more competitive game. I know Kilgore is 4A, but this will be a good matchup. I wish the Jasper Bulldogs good luck, provided the game even gets played due to electricity concerns. Keep us posted East Texas fans.

Now for discussion on this great matchup!

yawn. no offense Gilmer, but i think this honor should be spread around. Or keep giving it to Gilmer. Whatever. I know after the post season starts and Gilmer goes out in the first round someone else will have a chance. ;)

lostaussie
09-16-2008, 02:55 PM
yawn. no offense Gilmer, but i think this honor should be spread around. Or keep giving it to Gilmer. Whatever. I know after the post season starts and Gilmer goes out in the first round someone else will have a chance. ;) while Gilmer has been going 66-5 since 2003 and has one first round exit..................I would really like a brief synopsis of what Rockdale has done in the same time frame!!!!!!!!! geez:doh:

rockdale80
09-16-2008, 02:55 PM
while Gilmer has been going 66-5 since 2003 and has one first round exit..................I would really like a brief synopsis of what Rockdale has done in the same time frame!!!!!!!!! geez:doh:

Lotus, settle down. I am talking to someone else from Gilmer. I have been messing with him about Gilmer for weeks. Sorry buddy

Old Tiger
09-16-2008, 06:04 PM
gilmer by 6

Aesculus gilmus
09-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Lotus, settle down. I am talking to someone else from Gilmer. I have been messing with him about Gilmer for weeks. Sorry buddy

If Gilmer gets out of Region III, it should be on track for a rematch with Liberty Hill, only in Division II this time.

But Region III currently has three potential Division II teams ranked above the Buckeyes. So it's a tall order.

Region II was a piece of cake compared to this one. But just because you go out in an early round doesn't mean you're not one of the best teams. That year Gilmer went out in Round One, the team that pulled the upset went on to win state.

navscanmaster
09-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Region II was a piece of cake compared to this one. But just because you go out in an early round doesn't mean you're not one of the best teams. That year Gilmer went out in Round One, the team that pulled the upset went on to win state.
But they will never see the light, AG.:doh: Or maybe they are just picking on Gilmer. I dunno.

Pawdaddy
09-17-2008, 09:16 AM

I had one of the Buckeyes in my office yesterday. He said Coach Traylor had spent $500 to buy Homecoming mums for each of the Buckeye players to wear during warmups. This is Kilgore's Homecoming and he told his boys that they are the Bulldog's "dates."

I do not know if this is true, but it will be funny as all get out if they do wear mums out on the field.

waterboy
09-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Pawdaddy
I had one of the Buckeyes in my office yesterday. He said Coach Traylor had spent $500 to buy Homecoming mums for each of the Buckeye players to wear during warmups. This is Kilgore's Homecoming and he told his boys that they are the Bulldog's "dates."

I do not know if this is true, but it will be funny as all get out if they do wear mums out on the field.
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there! I wouldn't doubt it, though. It could be a motivational tool. We'll see.

BTW, happy birthday to Kurt Traylor! September 17 is his birthday.:clap:

pirate4state
09-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Lotus, settle down. I am talking to someone else from Gilmer. I have been messing with him about Gilmer for weeks. Sorry buddy He said to tell you if Gilmer beats Kilgore & Daingerfield he'll find time to come on here and make up for lost time on the "trash talking" :D

rockdale80
09-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
He said to tell you if Gilmer beats Kilgore & Daingerfield he'll find time to come on here and make up for lost time on the "trash talking" :D

Hes too 'fraid to come back. ;)

And sorry again Lotus. It was for a different Buckeye fan. :)

Bullaholic
09-17-2008, 04:39 PM
I got nothing but a w.a.g on this one. Gilmer in a high-scoring affair- 37-31 just because I think Gilmer can score a lot of points on just about anybody again this season.

All out CAT
09-17-2008, 05:13 PM
nm

rockdale80
09-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I got nothing but a w.a.g on this one. Gilmer in a high-scoring affair- 37-31 just because I think Gilmer can score a lot of points on just about anybody again this season.

Really? They only scored 77 against 1a Rains. Some of the East Texas teams are really strong and fly under the radar until the post season... Gilmer is not one of those teams. :kiss:

Buckeye80
09-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Really? They only scored 77 against 1a Rains. Some of the East Texas teams are really strong and fly under the radar until the post season... Gilmer is not one of those teams. :kiss:

And that fan you decided to pick on is here! Be afraid little boy! Be very afraid!:mad:

thatboiwes
09-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Gilmer only flys, or is it flies?, under the preseason radar. Then we play whoever the Titus Sports marketing group throws our way for the East Texas Classic, blow them out and suddenly everyone remembers who we are and we have no place to hide. I guess Gilmer should consider themselves privledged to have a bounty out for them every year.

Anyways...

I'm as much of a Buckeye fan as the next guy, but I really have a hard time seeing us come out on top of Kilgore. Of course I want them to win and will be there yelling in my orange 2001 throwback shirt until I'm blue in the face. But with the way L-E ran the ball against us, even though we knew exactly what they were going to do, I find it hard to see us slowing down Kilgore's running game, which will no doubt be much better since they will be able to pass it as well.

Should Gilmer win, it won't be by much, maybe 7-10 points.

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2008, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by thatboiwes
Gilmer only flys, or is it flies?, under the preseason radar. Then we play whoever the Titus Sports marketing group throws our way for the East Texas Classic, blow them out and suddenly everyone remembers who we are and we have no place to hide. I guess Gilmer should consider themselves privledged to have a bounty out for them every year.

Anyways...

I'm as much of a Buckeye fan as the next guy, but I really have a hard time seeing us come out on top of Kilgore. Of course I want them to win and will be there yelling in my orange 2001 throwback shirt until I'm blue in the face. But with the way L-E ran the ball against us, even though we knew exactly what they were going to do, I find it hard to see us slowing down Kilgore's running game, which will no doubt be much better since they will be able to pass it as well.

Should Gilmer win, it won't be by much, maybe 7-10 points.

WELL WELL WELL look has joined us from East Texas

How are things Wes

thatboiwes
09-18-2008, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
WELL WELL WELL look has joined us from East Texas

How are things Wes

Things are GREAT! The wife and I just had our 2nd kiddo 6 weeks ago. A little boy, Briley Zayn.

I always read the Down Low but have just not been able to join due to the no free e-mail to register thing.

How have you been Terry?

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2008, 12:34 AM
Things are GREAT! The wife and I just had our 2nd kiddo 6 weeks ago. A little boy, Briley Zayn.

I always read the Down Low but have just not been able to join due to the no free e-mail to register thing.

How have you been Terry?

Busy with DFW football

but I miss the East Texas Friday Nights

and congrats on the baby

Old Tiger
09-18-2008, 12:35 AM
nm

thatboiwes
09-18-2008, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Busy with DFW football

but I miss the East Texas Friday Nights

and congrats on the baby

Thanks! You cover all of the DFW?

Txbroadcaster
09-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Thanks! You cover all of the DFW?

yes

www.dfwhssports.com

waterboy
09-18-2008, 07:32 AM
:hijacktd:

Good to have you here, Wes! We need all the Gilmer posters we can get.:cool: :thumbsup:

About the game, don't worry! The Buckeyes will be just fine.;) It won't be easy but I can see them winning this one. I thnk the defense will bring some lumber Friday night, because they will definitely be laying the wood! I can see the offense being very crisp, too. If this happens, and I think it will, Gilmer will win. It doesn't matter whether it's by 1 point or 20 as long as the Buckeyes win. That's the way I see it.:cool:

GO BUCKEYES! BRING THE WOOD!

rockdale80
09-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
And that fan you decided to pick on is here! Be afraid little boy! Be very afraid!:mad:

HAHAHAHAH. its about time. I knew I could bring you out of retirement.

Buckeye80
09-18-2008, 09:12 PM
HAHAHAHAH. its about time. I knew I could bring you out of retirement.

Not retired! Just waiting in the wings. And for your information Mr No-it-all, Emory Rains is a six-man program!
Don't bring your smack talkin into conversation you have no business being part of! Nobody yanked Rockdale's chain! Sit down and let the grown-ups talk for now! 3A middle class will get their turn in a little while! :kiss:

rockdale80
09-18-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Not retired! Just waiting in the wings. And for your information Mr No-it-all, Emory Rains is a six-man program!
Don't bring your smack talkin into conversation you have no business being part of! Nobody yanked Rockdale's chain! Sit down and let the grown-ups talk for now! 3A middle class will get their turn in a little while! :kiss:

Mr. NO it all or Mr. Know it all? I know Gilmer doesnt provide a quality education, but I figured as old as you are that simple homophones would be a piece of cake for you. Now go practice hitting puberty, and come talk to me when something drops.:1popcorn:

Buckeye1980
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I have thought ong and hard on this game, and I do not want to say this but I have to pick against my beloved Buckeyes for the second time this year, I was wrong against Jasper and hope I am wrong this time Kilgore 30 Gilmer 28 :mad:

waterboy
09-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
I have thought ong and hard on this game, and I do not want to say this but I have to pick against my beloved Buckeyes for the second time this year, I was wrong against Jasper and hope I am wrong this time Kilgore 30 Gilmer 28 :mad:
Oh, ye of little faith! Hehe! I'll be back Monday to tell you what I told ya last time.:D

gobbler grad
09-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Gilmer pulls this one out...28-27

Aesculus gilmus
09-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
Gilmer pulls this one out...28-27

Final score:

Kilgore 28
Gilmer 14

garciap77
09-19-2008, 11:23 PM