PDA

View Full Version : Tour of State Champion Towns

88bobcats
09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Trust me.....evacuating 'cause of hurricanes stinks in every way you can imagine;
both before and after the hurricane.

However, on our trip from Orange County up to the Dallas area, I was able to find
some joy in taking a tour of towns that have won State Championships in team events:

Newton.......Football
Burkeville...Football
Carthage.....Baseball
Tatum........Football
Mineola......One-Act Play
Plano........Football
Southlake....I know they won state in something, but I can't remember.....

I'll try to make a sojourn down to Euless while I'm in the area just to add it to the list.

I drove near Celina when I was travelling from Tom Bean down to Grapevine on Hwy. 75.....
but it didn't feel like the vibe/power of the eight (8) trophies reached all the way out
to the highway, so I can't claim that one.

Maybe I'll take the long route home through Commerce, Pittsburg, Daingerfield, Texarkana, Atlanta.....

How many East Texas championship towns am I missing?

mwynn05
09-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by 88bobcats

Trust me.....evacuating 'cause of hurricanes stinks in every way you can imagine;
both before and after the hurricane.

However, on our trip from Orange County up to the Dallas area, I was able to find
some joy in taking a tour of towns that have won State Championships in team events:

Newton.......Football
Burkeville...Football
Carthage.....Baseball
Tatum........Football
Mineola......One-Act Play
Plano........Football
Southlake....I know they won state in something, but I can't remember.....

I'll try to make a sojourn down to Euless while I'm in the area just to add it to the list.

I drove near Celina when I was travelling from Tom Bean down to Grapevine on Hwy. 75.....
but it didn't feel like the vibe/power of the eight (8) trophies reached all the way out
to the highway, so I can't claim that one.

Maybe I'll take the long route home through Commerce, Pittsburg, Daingerfield, Texarkana, Atlanta.....

Plano hasn't won state in football since 94, they did lost to trinity in the state semifinals last year in double ot at texas stadium... they did however win the 5a state title in basketball in 2006

waterboy
09-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by 88bobcats

Gilmer - football (3A - DII '04)
Kilgore - football (4A - DII '04)
Big Sandy - football (B- '73, '74, '75)
Tyler - John Tyler - football (5A - 2 state championships)
Alto - football (several state championships)
Bettie (just north of Gilmer)- 2 class A state championships

Just to name a few.:D

88bobcats
09-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Plano hasn't won state in football since 94, they did lost to trinity in the state semifinals last year in double ot at texas stadium... they did however win the 5a state title in basketball in 2006

That's true, but they won back-to-backs in '86/'87 in 5A before the split into DI/DII play-offs.

Because I'm staying in Grapevine, I should've also listed them 'cause they have two 4A football championships.

kepdawg
09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Jasper has baseball

If you're staying in Grapevine and have some free time you can add a lot to your list.

Keller
Coppell
Flower Mound
Lewisville
The Colony
Denton
Krum
Pilot Point
Celina
Frisco
McKinney

I'm sure there are many more but those off the top of my head have won team championships.

Txbroadcaster
09-16-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Gilmer - football (3A - DII '04)
Kilgore - football (4A - DII '04)
Big Sandy - football (B- '73, '74, '75)
Tyler - John Tyler - football (5A - 2 state championships)
Alto - football (several state championships)
Bettie (just north of Gilmer)- 2 class A state championships

Just to name a few.:D

Also the D-Field teams of the 80's

Jefferson in 86

Marshall in 90

Big Sandy in the early 70's