PDA

View Full Version : 99th Annual River Battle

Antec
09-14-2008, 08:26 PM
99th Annual Wharton County Colorado River Battle

Wharton vs. El Campo, Tiger Stadium

think this is 2nd longest rivarly series in the state

El Campo and Bay City have played right at 100 times.

El Campo didnt play against Victorial Memorial last week and Wharton lost to Giddings.

Im sure Ricebirds will be a big favorite and have won the last 6 games

gato 76
09-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Wharton will give them a run for there money.Maybe a upset in the making.

IHStangFan
09-14-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't know Gato, I'd like to see the upset, but I just don't think this is going to be the year.

Ricebirds by at least 2 TDs.

Antec
09-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Jerry's Football Ratings picks Ricebirds by 48 points

guess he goes by power ratings

game will be broadcast over the internet

www.kulpradio.com

bird_fan
09-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Ricebird should take this one
Bob Gillis has never lost to wharton

TIGER FAN
09-18-2008, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by bird_fan
Ricebird should take this one
Bob Gillis has never lost to wharton

There is a first time for everything! Go Tigers..... :p

onsideanytime
09-18-2008, 09:44 AM
birds by 20+, have seen both teams play, wharton is getting better but not good enough to beat the ricebirds, it will be a long year for the tigers, but one thing i did notice is the way the kids played and acted, looks like they finally are letting a coach get rid of all the turds that cause problems

TIGER FAN
09-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by onsideanytime
birds by 20+, have seen both teams play, wharton is getting better but not good enough to beat the ricebirds, it will be a long year for the tigers, but one thing i did notice is the way the kids played and acted, looks like they finally are letting a coach get rid of all the turds that cause problems

Like I said before there is a first time for everything. The Tigers will have a BIG upset that will shock all - may be this week or it may be the next but it's coming! I do agree with you on the fact that the kids are coming around. These coaches are doing a GREAT job! :clap:

Antec
09-18-2008, 04:42 PM
They play at Bellville in two weeks Oct. 3

Opens 26-3A By hosting Royal on Oct .10

TIGER FAN
09-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Bring'em On!!!!!

Antec
09-19-2008, 04:38 PM
pretty sure game will be on the internet

www.kulpradio.com

or AM 1390

gobbler grad
09-19-2008, 04:51 PM
maybe Wharton will win next week...:(

Antec
09-20-2008, 12:21 AM
El Campo wins 26-14

Wharton was down by one TD at one point in the game.

Game was pretty tight EC got a big safety which was a big turning point in the contest

Tigers are open next Friday-plays at Bellville on Oct. 3

fireman1
09-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Tigers played good 48 point underdog and lost 26-14 not that bad

Antec
09-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Ricebirds fight off pesky Tigers

48-point underdog Wharton hangs tough against powerful El Campo, before falling, 26-14

By MATTHEW WATKINS sports@journal-spectator.com

Staff photo by Chris Barbee Wharton running back Justin Lathon finds a hole in the El Campo defense during the Tigers' 26-14 loss at Tiger Stadium on Friday. The game marked the 99th time the two rivals have squared off.

Despite coming in as 48-point favorites, El Campo had to stave off a late rally by Wharton to take a 26-14 victory here at Tiger Stadium Friday night in the 99th Annual River Battle.

The win was El Campo's seventh straight win in the series dating back to 2002.

The Ricebirds jumped out to an early 17-0 lead in the second quarter before the Tigers came back and cut the lead to 19-14 on a 45 yard-run by Keemon Jones.

On the first play on the Ricebirds' next drive, Landon Appling raced 62 yards for a touchdown to make the score 26-14 with only 5:34 left in the game.

"That hurt, if we hold them there, we had a chance to get the ball back and take the lead" said Wharton head coach Stacey Hunt. "Our kids came out mentally prepared and played real hard."

Appling returned the opening kickoff for the Ricebirds 54 yards to the Tiger 29, and five plays later the Ricebirds took the lead.

Staff photo by Chris Barbee Wharton's Raymond Felder (34) leads the Tigers' defensive charge against the Ricebirds. Wharton rallied from a 17-0 deficit to make it 19-14 before El Campo put the game away.
After Brian Skow picked up six yards on a third and four from the 7, Wes Condra ran the ball in from 1-yard out on the next play. Gabriel Lara added the extra point making the score 7-0 with 8:35 left in the first quarter.

The Tigers were forced to punt on their next possession, and the Ricebirds started at the Tiger 15 but had to settle for a 31-yard field goal by Lara to make the score 10-0 with 2:24 left in the quarter.

The Tigers were again forced to punt on their next possession, and the Ricebirds took over at their own 25.

Three plays later on third and nine, Appling raced 69 yards to the Tiger 5, and Skow ran the ball in on the next play.

Lara added the extra point making the score 17-0 with 8:15 left in the half.

On the Tigers' next possession Elijah Richardson picked up 48 yards to the Ricebirds 26 and five plays later Chris Taylor ran the ball in from 8-yards out. Justin Sherrill added the extra point making the score 17-7 with 5:06 left in the half.

Richardson led the Tigers with 115 yards on 15 carries.

Appling led the Ricebirds with 195 yards on 24 carries and Skow had 65 yards on 10 carries.

The Tigers take next week off before traveling to Bellville in two weeks.