PDA

View Full Version : Cuero Gobblers vs Bay City Black Cats

44INAROW
09-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Who do you think wins this game and why? Last week both teams had an unexpected week off due to Ike - Last year the game was in Bay City and the Black Cats came out on top - This year, the game is in Cuero. Let's hear it guys and gals, what do you think?

GO MEAN GREEN :)

Boomer
09-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Cuero on top, Big!! There will be be plenty of seating here in Cuero.

Nursebetty
09-14-2008, 09:10 PM
GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!! Cuero all the way! Oh, yeah........anyone wanting to come cheer on the Gobblers doesn't have to worry about seating.....you're right Boomer! :)

Gobbler Fan
09-14-2008, 09:15 PM
No more Sean Rutherford = a good thing for Cuero

Bay City comes in with a new Coach and a new system ... out goes the spread in comes the wing-t power game . Cuero with it's depth on the D-line this year should handle Bay City and give the Gobblers a nice win at home ...my prediction Cuero 42 Bay City 21

IHStangFan
09-14-2008, 09:25 PM
I called the Bay City win last year.......but this year I'm gonna go w/ the Gobblers...partly because they are at home, and partly because I think the Gobblers are better than last year, and I don't think the Black Cats are as good as they were last year.

Cuero 28
Bay City 21

gato 76
09-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
No more Sean Rutherford = a good thing for Cuero

Bay City comes in with a new Coach and a new system ... out goes the spread in comes the wing-t power game . Cuero with it's depth on the D-line this year should handle Bay City and give the Gobblers a nice win at home ...my prediction Cuero 42 Bay City 21

Bay City does run the spread when it has to.As far as speed they have the speed to match Cuero.The big difference this year is Bay City defense is alot better.I think Bay City D will keep the Cuero QB in check,i think Bay City big offense line will wear down the Cuero D,but it should be a very good game,but the city cats take this one Bay City 24 - Cuero 17

pirate4state
09-14-2008, 10:02 PM
What does Bay City return this year?

Hard to go against the Gobblers at home!

gato 76
09-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
What does Bay City return this year?

Hard to go against the Gobblers at home!

Bay City returns 3 offense/ 8 defense starters

They lost to Dayton 7- 35, and beat Houston Yates 28-7. The BC RB'S are young they start 3 jr's & freshman.But don't let that fool you they can move the football and the blackcat offense line is big, they are going to play smashmouth football with the Gobblers and they also will go to a spread when they have to.The Gobblers are very tough at home i expect a very good game buy i think the blackcats take this one.

navscanmaster
09-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Cuero 21-14.

pirate4state
09-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by gato 76
Bay City returns 3 offense/ 8 defense starters

They lost to Dayton 7- 35, and beat Houston Yates 28-7. The BC RB'S are young they start 3 jr's & freshman.But don't let that fool you they can move the football and the blackcat offense line is big, they are going to play smashmouth football with the Gobblers and they also will go to a spread when they have to.The Gobblers are very tough at home i expect a very good game buy i think the blackcats take this one.

Dang, 8 on defense! Maybe this one turns into a barn burner! Lots of speed on the field...should be fun to watch! Good luck!

Mean Green Fan
09-14-2008, 11:00 PM
Cuero 35
Bay City 14

Dogs_21
09-14-2008, 11:12 PM
I say Cuero 28 Bay City 10

Bay City will be good in about a year or 2 they are very young.

R4Editor
09-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Cuero by 2 TDs

JT44
09-14-2008, 11:52 PM
The ONLY reason the Gobblers lost last year was b/c of the lack of depth on both sides of the ball, especially on the defensive line.

That won't be a problem this year, Bay city is not a pushover, but the Gobblers are much deeper and faster than last year.

wedo
09-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Last year was a good game, only b/c i thing that at the end BC's spread offense backfired and they couldn't run the clock out when they needed to. Shaun Rutherford who is now at Blinn tore up Cuero. BC always as speed and so does cuero but IMO if Cuero plays Dayton and Yates they are 0-2. BC plays much better competition and the D is experienced wathc #11 Norris is a beast. You won't see BC's pass for 300 yards with 5 tds this year but they can move the ball and put it in the endzone. I haven't seen Cuero play but by the schedule I say BC by 14.

GreenGobbla
09-15-2008, 02:56 AM
cuero 34
bc 17

LH Panther Mom
09-15-2008, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by JT44
The ONLY reason the Gobblers lost last year was b/c of the lack of depth on both sides of the ball, especially on the defensive line.
Dang, and all this time I thought it was because the refs were mad that the Gobbler band played too long. :devil:

KingRob
09-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by wedo
Last year was a good game, only b/c i thing that at the end BC's spread offense backfired and they couldn't run the clock out when they needed to. Shaun Rutherford who is now at Blinn tore up Cuero. BC always as speed and so does cuero but IMO if Cuero plays Dayton and Yates they are 0-2. BC plays much better competition and the D is experienced wathc #11 Norris is a beast. You won't see BC's pass for 300 yards with 5 tds this year but they can move the ball and put it in the endzone. I haven't seen Cuero play but by the schedule I say BC by 14.

You have to keep in mind that both Dayton and Yates are 4A schools with enrollments over 1,300. Bay City's enrollment of 1.174 puts it up there in 4A with these two schools. Cuero is 3A (630), and had to schedule two 4A schools due to teams in the area not wanting to play them. Cuero could very well be 0-2 if they played these teams, but then again, they might've beat them. We'll never know.

Cuero will be too strong for BC.

Survey says:

CUERO - 35
BC - 21

LET'S GO CUERO!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

pirate4state
09-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Dang, and all this time I thought it was because the refs were mad that the Gobbler band played too long. :devil: :clap: :D :clap:

wedo
09-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
Cuero could very well be 0-2 if they played these teams, but then again, they might've beat them. We'll never know.

i dont think so IMO, Cuero is always very talented and they have lots of tradition but they are lucky they play in Region 4. 3a region 3 is too tough and I don't think that they have the same playoff runs year in and year out in region 3. and thats not bad mouthing Cuero by no means just my opinion. BC imo will be better in a few years but I think in this game they are too much for Cuero.

Gobbler Fan
09-15-2008, 12:37 PM
:hand: Region 4 is weak blah blah blah .... dont forget Region 4 is also slow ;)

:evil: :evillol:

Bay City may be able to beat a 3A Region 4 team just not this week ..... Cuero rolls by the City Cats easily .

gato 76
09-15-2008, 06:49 PM
The city cats will have to have there A game that night.They will have to hold on to the football.That really hurt them in the game against Dayton they missed alot of chances to keep that game close.They did alot better against Yates and beat controlled the clock and beat them 28-7.Another factor is BC defense is good 8 starters back,they have to put pressure on the Cuero QB he really impressed me last year when we played you guys.But make no mistake BC not going there to roll over the Gobblers also will have to bring there A game if they want to win this at home.I have to agree with Wedo a big factor might be who the Gobblers have played anyway its a nondistrict game and will get both teams ready for there districts.

wedo
09-15-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
:hand: Region 4 is weak blah blah blah .... dont forget Region 4 is also slow ;)

:evil: :evillol:

Bay City may be able to beat a 3A Region 4 team just not this week ..... Cuero rolls by the City Cats easily .

Region 4 isn't weak its just not as strong as region 3. Sorry its not, and thats not anything against Cuero they are by far the best team in region 4 almost every year, heck they pretty much win that region every year, Region 3 has more depth than region 4.

I still think that BC is too much for Cuero this year.

gato 76
09-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Region 4 isn't weak its just not as strong as region 3. Sorry its not, and thats not anything against Cuero they are by far the best team in region 4 almost every year, heck they pretty much win that region every year, Region 3 has more depth than region 4.

I still think that BC is too much for Cuero this year.

Wedo i thought you were studying?

headhunter
09-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I would have to say that Cuero has to be the team favored to win because they are playing at home. Bay City will be the fastest team they have played thus far and will probably be the biggest (not just weight but height and overall build).

Strength's for Cuero is that they have 4 quality receivers with a couple of good TE's. Their QB is arguably the best in the state in 3A and does a good job of getting the ball into the hands of Cuero's skilled play-makers in open field. Cuero also has a great deal of depth, especially on the line. They have three good RB's and all are very fast.

Weakness's for Cuero is their overall size in the secondary. The speed is their, probably not going to give up many big plays. If the front 4 can stuff the run and make the RB's run laterally then they will be successful. If BC running backs get moving downhill they are going to be tough to bring down.

Strength for Bay City is their Defense, and as it should be. They will be the fastest team that Cuero has faced. BC has the potential to cause turnovers and score defensive TD's.

Weakness's for Bay City is their overall play-makers on offense. While they have a good pack of RB's they do have a lot of first year starters. Should they need to throw, Cuero will pressure their QB and force bad passes.

Key Factors: Neither team has faced a team with as much team speed that will be on the field on Friday night.
ADVANTAGE = Cuero

Playing at Home
ADVANTAGE = Cuero

Skill and experience on the Defensive back
ADVATAGE = Bay City

Defensive and Offensive Line
ADVANTAGE = Push

Depth
ADVANTAGE = Push

Coaching
ADVANTAGE = Cuero

Just my thoughts. I do not know a whole lot about Bay City's QB but I would think he is still learning the system. I think both teams will force turnovers and cause many mistakes on offense. I think Cuero comes out on top simply because their offense is hard to stop, but if someone is going to slow them down then Bay City has the players to do it.

I still think Cuero squeezes out a win.
Gobblers 32
Black Cats 26

gato 76
09-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
I would have to say that Cuero has to be the team favored to win because they are playing at home. Bay City will be the fastest team they have played thus far and will probably be the biggest (not just weight but height and overall build).

Strength's for Cuero is that they have 4 quality receivers with a couple of good TE's. Their QB is arguably the best in the state in 3A and does a good job of getting the ball into the hands of Cuero's skilled play-makers in open field. Cuero also has a great deal of depth, especially on the line. They have three good RB's and all are very fast.

Weakness's for Cuero is their overall size in the secondary. The speed is their, probably not going to give up many big plays. If the front 4 can stuff the run and make the RB's run laterally then they will be successful. If BC running backs get moving downhill they are going to be tough to bring down.

Strength for Bay City is their Defense, and as it should be. They will be the fastest team that Cuero has faced. BC has the potential to cause turnovers and score defensive TD's.

Weakness's for Bay City is their overall play-makers on offense. While they have a good pack of RB's they do have a lot of first year starters. Should they need to throw, Cuero will pressure their QB and force bad passes.

Key Factors: Neither team has faced a team with as much team speed that will be on the field on Friday night.
ADVANTAGE = Cuero

Playing at Home
ADVANTAGE = Cuero

Skill and experience on the Defensive back
ADVATAGE = Bay City

Defensive and Offensive Line
ADVANTAGE = Push

Depth
ADVANTAGE = Push

Coaching
ADVANTAGE = Cuero

Just my thoughts. I do not know a whole lot about Bay City's QB but I would think he is still learning the system. I think both teams will force turnovers and cause many mistakes on offense. I think Cuero comes out on top simply because their offense is hard to stop, but if someone is going to slow them down then Bay City has the players to do it.

I still think Cuero squeezes out a win.
Gobblers 32
Black Cats 26

He hit it on the money,the BC QB throws alot of his passes on the run he not going to sit in the pocket an throw.But on another note they also will get in the spread and use the speed of there wr's.The rb's are 1st year starters but they are returning lettermen they are young but if they can hold on to the football they are going to give Cuero fits.Like he said BC offense line is big and they do rotate some linemen in the mix should be a great ballgame.

gobbler grad
09-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Gobblers all the way...we put up at least 42 on the Black Cats...:thinking:

42-21 ...Gobblers

GO MEAN GREEN

gato 76
09-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
Gobblers all the way...we put up at least 42 on the Black Cats...:thinking:

42-21 ...Gobblers

GO MEAN GREEN

I think Cuero should win by 50, the city cats are slow with fastest rb 5.1 and there biggest linemen 5-8 290 lbs., all 11 offense starters play both ways,we might get lucky and make 1 st down.

KingRob
09-17-2008, 03:09 PM
The Cuero Record states that BC is coming into the game at 1-2, after losing to Dickinson. Was this game played? I thought it was canx due to Ike.

44INAROW
09-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
The Cuero Record states that BC is coming into the game at 1-2, after losing to Dickinson. Was this game played? I thought it was canx due to Ike.

According to the Bay City Tribune website - the game against Dickinson was cancelled. So it looks like BC is 1-1

Dayton 35
Bay City 7

Bay City 28
Yates 7

CueroDad08
09-17-2008, 05:13 PM
i dont think so IMO, Cuero is always very talented and they have lots of tradition but they are lucky they play in Region 4. 3a region 3 is too tough and I don't think that they have the same playoff runs year in and year out in region 3. and thats not bad mouthing Cuero by no means just my opinion. BC imo will be better in a few years but I think in this game they are too much for Cuero.

Wedo We all have read your prodictions for a while now. Last year you got your first one right, And a year later we all get to read about how you were right. Put your money were your mouth is. You would be a broke man from all your picks.

All out CAT
09-17-2008, 05:16 PM
go cuero

gato 76
09-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Wedo We all have read your prodictions for a while now. Last year you got your first one right, And a year later we all get to read about how you were right. Put your money were your mouth is. You would be a broke man from all your picks.

And his prediction this year will be right,but its only going to make you guys better.

Old Tiger
09-17-2008, 06:21 PM
cuero by 21 bay city is DOWN

gato 76
09-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
cuero by 21 bay city is DOWN

The Cuero QB will have to throw for over 300 yds to beat BC.The Bay City D is very tough against the run,i know Cuero can throw the ball but i also know they have to have a running game to open up the pass for the talented Cuero QB.I don't see the Gobblers rushing for over 100yds in this game.That means the BC D will be swarming all over the Cuero QB.As for Cuero the BC offense will have to be able to run the ball on Cuero and NO TURNOVERS the BC passing game is nothing like last year,all i know is that the Blackcats may come out in a spread offense to start the game and see if they can pass on the Cuero D.But to me for BC to win this game is they will have to run on Cuero to beat them,and the BC defense could win it for them.

JT44
09-17-2008, 07:29 PM
If someone does hold cuero to under 100 yds rushing, they probably do win the game, but one of our backs will bust for at least one long run.

When was the last time Cuero had under 100 yds rushing? How much last year against China Spring?

sinfan75
09-17-2008, 09:19 PM
All that'll be left of the Black Cats is Turkey poop! :D

SintonFan_inAustin
09-17-2008, 09:32 PM
this could be the only game til late in the playoffs that Cuero will be challenge.

Cuero 24 Bay City 20

wedo
09-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08

first one right I hardly ever post predictions...... I never threw it in anyone's face about being right anyways. So Don't really know why your coming at me. I can put my money where my mouth is if thats what you want. Ill go to the game and IF Cuero wins Ill be the first to congratulate them. Don't come after me just because im not on Cuero's slab. Dont get mad just because not everybody picks Cuero. Can you put your money where your mouth is? Or are You a Cuero fan like the ones I met last year that blamed everything on coach Reeves? Bay City didn't deserve to win last year...right?

44INAROW
09-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Don't come after me just because im not on Cuero's slab. ?

wow - does that mean what I think it means? yikes.........:eek:

I just hope it's a good and clean game Friday night. The weather is predicted to be perfect football weather. Hope all the Bay City folks are safe driving to and from the game (watch out for the deer between Cuero and Victoria - they are everywhere)

GO MEAN GREEN..........

gato 76
09-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
wow - does that mean what I think it means? yikes.........:eek:

I just hope it's a good and clean game Friday night. The weather is predicted to be perfect football weather. Hope all the Bay City folks are safe driving to and from the game (watch out for the deer between Cuero and Victoria - they are everywhere)

GO MEAN GREEN..........

I expect a very good game from both teams,i know it will be a hard hitting game and a clean one.We know about the Cuero tradition at home but i also know BC going into that game to take it away from you and beat you at home with coach blackmon there they are starting to get some of that Blackcat swagger back they expect to go there and win.I wish i could go to that game but i have to work i have met old green wish i could have met the rest of the Cureo fans on this board i think its great the way your town backs your team im sure they is going to be a very good crowd from BC at the game GO BLACKCATS

bird_fan
09-18-2008, 07:02 AM
i think i go with Cuero because home field and coaching.
Mark Reves is an out standing coach

GreenMachine
09-18-2008, 08:31 AM
I don't know what kind of team BC has and I haven't been to a Cuero game since we moved over the summer, but I know all the kids on the team and I know that they are going to be hard to beat this year. Having said this, I will take the Gobblers at home by 2 td's. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gobbler grad
09-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Two contenders go head-to-head

Bay City looks to snap fourth-ranked Cuero’s 25-game home win streak

BY MIKE FORMAN - MFORMAN@VICAD.COM

September 18, 2008 - 10:57 p.m.

Rob Schoenfeld was an assistant coach at Bay City when the Blackcats won the Class 4A, Division I state championship in 2000 and he’s now an assistant principal at Cuero Junior High.

“In our area there’s a handful of programs that are not expected just to compete and they’re not expected to just win a few games, their expectations are to go way deep in the playoffs and maybe win it all,” Schoenfeld said. “Bay City’s one and Cuero’s another.”

Cuero (2-0) has made 10 state final appearances and won three state championships and Bay City (1-1) has made six state final appearances and won two state titles.

This year’s teams will put their abilities on display when they meet today at 7:30 p.m. at Cuero’s Gobbler Stadium.

The Blackcats captured a 28-7 win over Houston Yates and the Gobblers, ranked No. 4 in Class 3A, thumped Rio Hondo 42-7 before both teams had games canceled last week because of Hurricane Ike.

“It was a distraction,” Bay City coach Robert Blackmon said. “We were still missing a couple of kids on Monday. It was a matter of getting the kids back focused.”

“Conditioning, that’s something you always worry about,” Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. “You’re getting in game condition and then you miss a game.”

Bay City forced four turnovers and blocked a punt in its win over Yates and Reeve is concerned about facing a Bay City defense that limited Cuero to 68 yards rushing in its 29-21 win over the Gobblers last season.

“They’ve definitely have one of the best defenses,” Reeve said. “I hope we don’t see anybody that plays any faster than they do. They have really good team speed and they’ve got a lot of experience.”

Blackmon, who was a Bay City assistant last season, is concerned about stopping a Cuero offense that has produced 879 yards and 88 points.

“Coach Reeve does such a good job,” Blackmon said. “I really believe they’re a better team. The quarterback has really matured and grown with the team.”

Reeve has been pleased with the progress of the Gobblers, who will seek their 26th consecutive win at Gobbler Stadium.

“I think we’ve got a lot of potential to get a lot better just like we have in the past,” Reeve said. “Our offensive line has helped us come on a little quicker. We’ve got a lot of smart kids on this team and they do a good job of adjusting to things.”

Blackmon knows the Blackcats are still adjusting to his coaching style and should continue to get better.

“We need to have the confidence that we can play with anyone,” Blackmon said. “We want to be in the top echelon of our classification and start getting back to the Bay City of old.”

NOTES: The game will be broadcast on KBAR, 100.9 FM in Victoria and KZRC, 92.5 FM in Bay City.

44INAROW
09-19-2008, 09:00 AM
GO MEAN GREEN

Weather should be great tonight - perfect atmosphere to get back in the swing of Texas High School football ;)

KingRob
09-19-2008, 09:45 AM
LET'S GO CUERO!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

cropduster
09-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Go Bay City!! I don't cheer for any team that wears green and has a turkey for their mascot..

SintonFan_inAustin
09-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I called the Bay City win last year.......

Cuero 28
Bay City 21 not bad very close on score this year :)