PDA

View Full Version : 101-0

PPHSfan
09-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Texico shuts out Loving, 101-0
The Associated Press
Article Launched: 09/12/2008 11:36:23 PM MDT

TEXICO, N.M.—It turned out to be a terrible night on the football field for Loving, but Texico ended up making a bit of history.

The Wolverines scored every time on their first eight offensive plays to set the tone of Friday's game and go on to beat Loving 101-0, earning a place in New Mexico's high school record books.

Only one other team has scored more in a single game and that was 85 years ago when Deming beat Tularosa 124-0 in Tularosa's first football game. A few years earlier, in 1916, Albuquerque beat Santa Fe 101-0, according to the New Mexico Activities Association.

Texico head coach Mike Prokop said all he could do each time his team scored was drop his head. He said he didn't know what else to do since Loving couldn't stop the Wolverines.

Texico had a 54-0 halftime lead, thanks to three touchdown passes from Brett Anderson, a 50-yard punt return from Mario Posada and a slew of other touchdowns.

The second half was no different with Edgardo Meza starting the scoring off with a 60-yard kick off return. By the end of the quarter, Texico had built an 89-0 lead.

LINK (http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_10452422)

Necks_Fan
09-14-2008, 11:34 AM
:dispntd:

Phil C
09-14-2008, 11:51 AM
I don't know why but this reminded me of when Corpus Christi Academy played Freer in about 1960 I think. Freer just couldn't be stopped even when they had the last string in the second half. It was so bad that they called in what was then the B team (junior varsity now - there were no all freshmen teams then) players to play. Still Freer couldn't be stopped and it was 53 to 0 at the end of the third quarter. Corpus Christi Academy stopped the game and forfeited it rather than play the fourth quarter and said they would never play Freer again which they have not done so.

Phil C
09-14-2008, 11:53 AM
It has been said the Penn State Joe Paterno's team had a game easily run and he was doing his best not to run up the score and it was still not easy because his last stringers were still scoring. Late in the game he called one of his players over and asked "What is your position."
"i am a defensive lineman Coach" was the reply.
Coach Paterno said "That is close enough. Get in there and play quarterback."

:)

gatordaze
09-14-2008, 12:00 PM
In the mid 80's Prosper was down to Celina at the half 63-0 in the rain. Thier coach came into the locker room and threw in the towel then got on the bus and went home.

King_LeYoeNidas
09-14-2008, 01:47 PM
I can't help but wonder if the clock rolled nonstop in 2nd half. If not, that's pretty crappy.

wildstangs
09-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Isn't that Brian Urlacher's hometown/school?

I think he is from Lovington.

Chopblock
09-14-2008, 04:37 PM
2 yrs ago, Canadian beat Texico 0week by 50, the next year, they refused to play Canadian again even though they had scheduled us
I hope someone gets to give it back to them