PDA

View Full Version : Boatwright's death and how coaches deal with disciplinary training.

mwisnews
10-19-2003, 08:53 PM
Coaches weigh merits of conditioning as discipline
How to punish players a dilemma faced by all in high school football

04:32 AM CDT on Sunday, October 19, 2003

By TIM MacMAHON / The Dallas Morning News

Everman football star Craig Boatwright heaved his helmet in frustration following a late September loss to District 8-3A rival Kennedale.

It was an action deemed unacceptable by the Everman coaching staff, which takes pride in its players representing the school district in a positive manner.

"If he would have had a rope tied to that helmet, he would have pulled it back before it hit the ground," Everman assistant coach Dale Matlock said. "He knew he made a mistake and there were going to be consequences."

Boatwright, a senior tight end and defensive end who helped Everman win consecutive state titles, was suspended for three games. He accepted the option of trading the final two games of the suspension for 12 early-morning conditioning sessions with an assistant coach.

Craig Boatwright
Boatwright, 17, died Thursday morning after collapsing on the school track during his final disciplinary conditioning session. A congenital heart condition was the cause of death, according to preliminary findings released by the Tarrant County medical examiner's office after an autopsy.

"It really hits home," Bryan Adams coach Mike Smiddy said. "It could be any one of our players tomorrow or the next day."

It is a common practice for coaches to use conditioning as a means of disciplining players. That usually means some form of running.

The 6-4, 215-pound Boatwright, who had orally committed to play for TCU, was in the process of running two miles Thursday morning with assistant coach Erik McGuffin. The two sprinted the track's straightaways and walked the turns, an activity Matlock said was less strenuous than the team's conditioning session the previous afternoon. The real punishment, Matlock said, was making Boatwright arrive at school at 7 a.m.

Laps, sprints and gassers – running across the field and back – are the simplest and most popular forms of discipline among area coaches. Most coaches determine distance and repetition based on the reason for the punishment and the offending athlete's history.

"Nowadays, there aren't too many discipline forms you can use, and one of the things the kids understand is running," Lewisville coach Ronnie Gage said. "Coaches should know their kids, and they should know what buttons to push and not to push. I really do think most coaches use common sense. I would think every coach in the state of Texas uses running as some form of discipline."

Up-downs – running until the coach's whistle, hitting the ground chest-first and quickly getting up – are another traditional disciplinary tactic. So are sit-ups, push-ups and bear crawls. Coaches who have their home stadiums available often have players run up and down the bleachers.

Some coaches get more creative. For example, Butch Ford of Celina and Mark Copeland of Carrollton Newman Smith have players flip a tractor tire end over end for 50 or 100 yards. Other coaches have players roll the length of the field.

Every head coach of the approximately 60 polled said coaches closely monitor disciplinary conditioning sessions. Most occur immediately after practice, when trainers are available.

Suspending players is another disciplinary option, although many coaches prefer to take away playing time only in extreme instances.

Waxahachie coach David Ream still occasionally dishes out corporal punishment, which has been banned in many school districts. Several coaches longed for the days when players feared the paddle.

"If a kid gets in trouble, 10 years ago you'd pull out a board and bust him," Garland coach Jeff Jordan said. "But we don't do that anymore. Now, really, your biggest disciplinary procedure is taking the kid out and running him."

Coaches cited numerous actions that merit disciplinary measures. Most punish players for drawing personal fouls during games and misbehaving in class. Failing to turn in homework assignments, poor academic performance and being tardy to class or practice are also common infractions. Many coaches simply tell their players that they are required to represent the program in a positive manner at all times and subject to punishment if they fail to live up to that standard.

"You have to hold kids accountable," Plano West coach Mike Hughes said. "If they don't have discipline and accountability, they won't learn anything."

Added Garland Naaman Forest coach Bill Patterson: "One of the last bastions of discipline is athletics. We're teaching them not just about football, but about life."

Euless Trinity coach Steve Lineweaver said he did not think the Everman coaches were at fault for Boatwright's death, but he is considering whether to continue to use running to discipline players.

Other coaches said they would continue to use conditioning in disciplinary matters but would be more cautious as a result of the tragedy at Everman.

"If a kid does something that's deserving of him running, we might stretch the running over two days now, so that he'll run half on one day and half on the next day," Madison coach Ronald Johnson said. "These situations give us a red flag. We have to be careful."

Most coaches, however, said Boatwright's death would not have an impact on the way they discipline players. They see it as an isolated incident. Several noted that Boatwright died because of a heart defect, not because of the Everman coaching staff's disciplinary actions.

"He could have been running a [pass] route last night and collapsed," Allen coach Joe Martin said. "I know those coaches, and they wouldn't have done anything to put that kid in harm's way. It's just a sad situation."

Staff Writers Todd Boyd, Brandon George, David Hinojosa, Meyla Hooker, Randy Jennings, Todd Jorgenson, Kevin Lonnquist, Kyle Nagel, Damon L. Sayles, Ben Shpigel and Monique Walker and Special Contributors Mark Button, Erin Lee Gallegos, Luke Gilliam, Milenko Martinovich, Robby Nisenfeld, Melinda Weaver, Paul J. Weber and Chase Wofford contributed to this report.

rholl
10-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Good article and thanks for the post. Coaches have to have a disciplinary measure for 16 17 and 18 yr olds and most people have pushed them to outlaw the "board" for whatever reason. Way back in the day "the board" wasn't frowned upon and I don't think me or anyone I knew was "damaged" but whatever, thats society these days. Now running is one of the only things left and like the article said..the same thing could happen right in the middle of a game!!! To all coaches out there most people realize you are in a difficult position. There will always be the doubters...unfortunately they are usually the loudest.

Pudlugger
10-19-2003, 09:55 PM
The cause of death appears to be the heart defect. As it says in the article, he might have suffered a fatal episode while playing. The real message here is not to suspend running as a form of discipline, but to set up echocardiogram screening programs with the large Cardiology groups in the Metroplex. We have such a program here in the Austin and outlying rural counties through Austin Heart (see my earlier post). Many players in La Grange, Smithville, Flatonia, and Weimar showed up on a Saturday morning for the exam which was free. My son had it done. This program has been in existance at UT for several years. All football players have it done. If a player is found to have this defect he cannot play but can keep his scholarship for all four years. I would strongly urge coaches and trainers to consider such a program. I bet Austin Heart would be glad to consult on how it can be done. It is a tragedy that this young man had to die when a simple 5 minute echocardiogram exam would probably have detected the defect. My prayers go out to his family, friends and teamates.

BrahmaMom
10-19-2003, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the info, Pud. I have never been a fan of the disciplinary running, but haven't offered a solution, still don't have a great substitute. Those coaches have a lot of power over their players, I hope they give some thought to more screening for such defects and more creative ways to discipline.

slpybear the bullfan
10-19-2003, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I agree that they have a lot of power, but it is also a voluntary sport. We have had incidents where kids quit the team instead of running their punishments.

SADAWG
10-19-2003, 10:45 PM
The real message here is not to suspend running as a form of discipline, but to set up echocardiogram screening programs with the large Cardiology groups in the Metroplex. We have such a program here in the Austin and outlying rural counties through Austin Heart It is a shame that screening programs are not more widespread. It is tragic that a young man had his life cut short when a simple test might have detected the problem. My condolences to the Boatwright family.

This article is about the screening program in Austin.

Heart exam gives high schooler lucky break.
Free screening might have saved McCallum player's life, he says

By Rick Cantu

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Joey Dukes, draped beneath crisp white sheets and best wishes, stared at the ceiling as he was wheeled into the operating room, terrified that this might be his final ride. From the corner of his eye, he spotted the surgeon, two anesthesiologists and a small group of technicians who would assist in his open-heart surgery.

The room was quiet, with an occasional whisper from someone preparing for the procedure.

The last thing Dukes remembers was a gas mask fixed across his puffy cheeks and nose. Within seconds, he drifted into a deep sleep, oblivious to the bright white light that illuminated his body.

This was not how the varsity football player from McCallum High School wanted to end his summer.

The teammates and coaches who visited him often in the hospital during his five-day stay following surgery are in the middle of a positive football season at McCallum.

Sometimes, life isn't fair.

In this case, though, a 2-hour, 30-minute operation on Sept. 5 was a lucky break for a young man who had no history of heart trouble.

"Those doctors," Dukes said, "probably saved my life."

That's the purpose of the partnership between the Championship Hearts Program and Schlotzsky's Deli. They provide free heart screenings to high school boys and girls, hoping to detect health problems before it's too late.

As of Friday, more than 2,000 student-athletes in Central Texas have been through the free program, and 38 have been recommended for further evaluation, with three confirmed cases of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a medical condition marked by excessive thickening of the heart muscle, occurring without cause. One in 500 individuals with HCM may experience significant symptoms and are at risk for sudden death.

The silent killer cost two Texas high school football players -- Luling's Steven Taylor, 15, and Houston's Leonard Carter II, 14 -- their lives in 2001. Nationally, on average, 13 of the roughly 2.7 million high school athletes in the country die from non-traumatic incidents each season. Of that figure, approximately 10 are linked to cardiovascular reasons, according to The Journal of American Sports Medicine.

Joey Dukes can thank his mother for forcing him to have his heart checked during a free screening on Aug. 9 in Austin. Terri Parks remembers getting her restless son out of bed at 7 a.m. that morning.

Dukes, a 5-foot-10, 275-pound lineman, had plenty of excuses for skipping the exam. He had practice and a team photo scheduled that morning. The line at the hospital would be too long. Furthermore, he was just tired.

But his mom had already made up her mind. Dukes was to get his heart checked, get a clean slate, and then be free to play sports the rest of the year.

Dr. Stuart Rowe, a cardiologist, quickly saw that Dukes did not have HCM. But he did detect another abnormality known as congenital subaortic stenosis -- a piece of tissue growing inside the wall of the aorta. The tissue was blocking about 50 percent of Dukes' blood flow.

Surgery, the only treatment option, was required to repair the tissue. A surgical steel wire has a permanent spot in Dukes' chest to keep his sternum in place.

The pain of missing his entire junior season was greater than any twinge he might have felt in his heart.

"This is pretty sad for Joey because he eats, drinks and sleeps football, and that was his main hope for a (college) scholarship," Parks said. "At first, Joey was crushed: `Why me?' "

Parks had already been through enough family tragedy. Her father died of heart failure at age 32, but "never in a million years" did she think her children would inherit heart problems. Parks said her two younger children -- Yabia, 14, and Louis, 10 -- will be checked when they reach high school.

As for Dukes, his goal is to return to the football team next season. He's still a fixture at practice and proudly wears his No. 74 jersey during games. There remains a void -- in his heart, so to speak -- from his inability to play.

"I just want to go out and hit somebody," he said, his eyes lighting up at the thought.

For now, Dukes stays busy with schoolwork and rehabilitation. He earned five As and one B in the first six-week grading period. He sometimes jogs slowly on the school track, but is still unable to lift more than 10 pounds. After six months, he will have an appointment to determine whether he can return to rigorous exercise.

"I dream a lot during class," Dukes said. "It's not easy watching the games from the sideline, seeing someone else play my position."

CheerMom
10-20-2003, 07:24 AM
Does anyone know of any female athletes who have had this condition? It seems that any time you hear about it, it is a male who has suddenly collapsed and died.