PDA

View Full Version : Physics Problem

ASUFrisbeeStud
09-12-2008, 10:15 PM
Hey my girl is working on physics homework and I'm lazy and don't remember any of it. Someone throw me a bone and help her out.

Speedy Sue, driving at 34.0 m/s, enters a one-lane tunnel. She then observes a slow-moving van 165 m ahead traveling with velocity 5.00 m/s. Sue applies her brakes but can accelerate only at -2.00 m/s2 because the road is wet. Will there be a collision?

If yes, determine how far into the tunnel and at what time the collision occurs. If no, determine the distance of closest approach between Sue's car and the van and enter zero for the time.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-12-2008, 11:57 PM
It would take the car 14.5 seconds to slow down to 5 m/s, during that time frame the van would have traveled 72.5 meters. That means that the car would have had 237.5 meters to slow down and avoid collision. During the 14.5 seconds the car would have traveled 271 meters, but it ran into the van first. It ran into the van a little over 12 seconds of seeing it. I could be completely wrong though, it's been a long day.

ASUFrisbeeStud
09-13-2008, 11:27 AM
No that sounds right, I just wasn't thinking about the final velocity of the car being 5 m/s. It had been a long day for me too, buddy.

Hows football going?

Emerson1
09-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud

Hows football going? they lost to arkansas state

ASUFrisbeeStud
09-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
they lost to arkansas state

Well I meant specifically for Gary, we all know A&M is playing it's best football.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-14-2008, 07:05 PM
No that sounds right, I just wasn't thinking about the final velocity of the car being 5 m/s. It had been a long day for me too, buddy.

Hows football going?

We've had better times, haha. Practices the past week have been the best I have ever been a part of, so who knows?

wimbo_pro
09-14-2008, 11:36 PM
Hey my girl is working on physics homework and I'm lazy and don't remember any of it. Someone throw me a bone and help her out.

Speedy Sue, driving at 34.0 m/s, enters a one-lane tunnel. She then observes a slow-moving van 165 m ahead traveling with velocity 5.00 m/s. Sue applies her brakes but can accelerate only at -2.00 m/s2 because the road is wet. Will there be a collision?

If yes, determine how far into the tunnel and at what time the collision occurs. If no, determine the distance of closest approach between Sue's car and the van and enter zero for the time.

What was Speedy Sue wearing at the time?