lv2937
09-12-2008, 09:09 PM
marble falls 41 burnet 22 4th quarter.

LH Panther Mom
09-12-2008, 09:16 PM
:1omg!: :1omg!: :1omg!:

lv2937
09-12-2008, 09:22 PM
4 turn overs for burnet 4 td for marble falls.

espn1
09-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by lv2937
4 turn overs for burnet 4 td for marble falls. I hope Burnet beats Ingram this year!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by espn1
I hope Burnet beats Ingram this year!

Ingram any good?

olddawggreen
09-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Marble Falls 40 Burnet 30 Final

Well, for the first time in 19 years, Marble Falls beat Burnet. Congrats to the Mustangs

NastySlot
09-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Ingram any good?

NO

olddawggreen
09-13-2008, 09:03 AM
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL MARBLE FALLS 40, BURNET 30

Marble Falls strikes early, pops Burnet
By Danny Davis
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Saturday, September 13, 2008

MARBLE FALLS — Round one in the newest chapter of the Burnet-Marble Falls rivalry went to the Mustangs on Friday night.

Thor Woerner scored on three straight rushing attempts in the first half as Marble Falls pounded Burnet 40-30. The Mustangs never trailed and put up 447 yards of total offense.

"This win was huge," said Woerner before lifting his hand and placing two of his fingers just inches apart. "It's that far off from going to the playoffs."

Friday was the first time in five years that the two schools — separated by just 15 miles — did not play a football game with a victory in district play on the line. Marble Falls and Burnet were district rivals from 2003-07, during the Bulldogs' four-year stay in Class 4A.

During that stretch, Burnet took all four games, scoring at least 40 points in three of them. But it was Marble Falls that joined the 40-point club on Friday, sending the Class 3A Bulldogs to a 0-3 start.

Marble Falls (2-1) was led by Woerner, who seemed to be everywhere at Mustang Stadium.

On his team's second drive of the game, Woerner got the Mustangs on the board and gave them a lead they wouldn't relinquish. A play after converting a third down with a pass, Woerner ran up the middle, shook off tacklers and headed in for a 23-yard touchdown.

Woerner wasn't done on the ground, and his next two carries were 50- and 12-yard touchdown runs. His third scoring run of the night put Marble Falls up 20-6 less than a minute into the second quarter.

Woerner finished with 138 rushing yards but proved he wasn't a one-trick pony. He also threw for 159 yards and a touchdown.

The Mustangs' biggest threat on offense, Woerner also proved his worth on defense with three interceptions. His first pick set up a 48-yard scoring pass to Quinton Causey that gave Marble Falls a 34-13 lead at halftime. His last interception ended Burnet's final scoring drive.

Woerner also had three punts in the game for an average of 23 yards.

"It was magnificent," said teammate Justin Garcia of Woerner's performance.

"My hat's off to Thor Woerner," said Burnet coach Doyle Walker. "He made plays all over the field offensively and defensively."

Woerner, however, wasn't as impressed.

"I don't think I made a single tackle tonight. I have a lot to work on," he said.

Sophomore Austin Sparks added 132 rushing yards and two touchdowns for Marble Falls.

Burnet junior quarterback Dillon Chafin threw for 270 yards and four touchdowns, but was picked off five times. Chafin put together an early highlight when he connected with senior wide receiver Justin Wills for an 86-yard touchdown pass.

Chafin's third touchdown pass of the night, a 15-yard strike to senior Chandler West, pulled Burnet within 34-22 with 33 seconds remaining in the third quarter. But the Bulldogs turned the ball over on the first play of their next two drives, and Marble Falls controlled the football for the majority of the final quarter.

The Bulldogs finished the night with six turnovers.

"We're young and inexperienced and those things are going to happen," said Walker.

espn1
09-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
"We're young and inexperienced and those things are going to happen," said Walker. That's what happens when you hire a $1.25 Coach.

Super_R
09-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by espn1
That's what happens when you hire a $1.25 Coach.

Why don't you apply and get a $.25 raise!

olddawggreen
09-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Don't be too quick to give up on the Dogs or Walker, they deserve the support of the community. This was shaping up to be a down year for Burnet regardless of who was coaching.

Hang Ten
09-13-2008, 01:26 PM
They'll be back on track next week....Manor will be a Bulldog victory.

Old Tiger
09-13-2008, 01:31 PM
there was a reason shipley left when he did

JR2004
09-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Well, for the first time in 19 years, Marble Falls beat Burnet. Congrats to the Mustangs

That can't be right because Marble beat y'all back in 93.

espn1
09-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
there was a reason shipley left when he did Yep you gotta be a homer to understand the big picture!

espn1
09-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Super_R
Why don't you apply and get a $.25 raise! Don't be too cocky! Vance won't be there for ever. But even when he does leave they probably won't hire the Jr. High coach! I'm sure I could get'em on the right path, but I don't live in Burnet! My kids will probably play for Mc Neil anyway.

LHdog
09-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Burnet does not have the talent at the skill postions to run the spread offense. If that's the only offense that Coach Walker knows, then his tenure as HC will be a short one at Burnet.

olddawggreen
09-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by LHdog
Burnet does not have the talent at the skill postions to run the spread offense. If that's the only offense that Coach Walker knows, then his tenure as HC will be a short one at Burnet.

The fact is, if you really want to get to the nut cutting, Coach Walker and staff are trying to do the best that they can with a program that has been in decline the past several years. Don't falt them for trying to step up and try to do the best that they can with what they have to work with.

There are some very good athletes at Burnet, and they will continue to give it their all. I won't get into why I think there has been a decline in the program, and I won't trash those that remain to pick up the pieces. Their doing the best they can.

I can only support their efforts and hope that they find some success this season, in whatever form it may be. Don't discount the Dogs, for better or worse, they have been bread on the kind of success that the whole District has benefited from, and in time the tide will flow Green again. Maybe this season, maybe next. I will always support my Bulldogs, but I will also be proud of the successes of those in our District that are riding the Tide. The success of our District reflects on all of us, regardless of who's on top any certain time. You play with the best to be the best. Thats just the way way it is, and thats all I have to say about that.;)

warpig
09-15-2008, 10:17 AM
That woerner kid sounds like a stud. On the other side, I know burnet graduated alot of talent (Qb, Rb and kicker) and they seem to be getting all they can out of what they have.

olddawggreen
09-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by warpig
That woerner kid sounds like a stud. On the other side, I know burnet graduated alot of talent (Qb, Rb and kicker) and they seem to be getting all they can out of what they have.

The Woerner kid is the real thing X 10. I have watched him since Jr. High and have seen him carry his team on numerious occasions. I used to joke that one day we would see him in the QB position throwing the ball down field to himself, catching the ball and running it in for a touchdown. The kid is everywhere during the game.

NastySlot
09-15-2008, 10:45 AM
The Woerner kid is the real thing X 10. I have watched him since Jr. High and have seen him carry his team on numerious occasions. I used to joke that one day we would see him in the QB position throwing the ball down field to himself, catching the ball and running it in for a touchdown. The kid is everywhere during the game.

he's really something.

Daddy D 11
09-15-2008, 10:50 AM

He can also drop bombs on the baseball field:eek:

Is he getting any looks for football though? Hasn't he been the starting QB since is Sophomore year?