PDA

View Full Version : Raymondville vs Valley View(4A)

Ray_BearKat
09-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Defense leads the way for Raymondville
Comments 0 | Recommend 1
Kats top Valley View, 29-7
September 12, 2008 - 12:04AM

RAYMONDVILLE - There's one proven remedy for the dreaded "fumbilitis": Defense.

Raymondville lost six fumbles, but played exceptional defense as the Bearkats survived an early scare and topped Valley View, 29-7, Thursday night at Burnett Stadium.

The Bearkats (2-1) rolled up 522 yards on offense but coughed up the ball seven times, losing it six times. But, each time, the Kats' defense stifled Valley View (0-3), enabling the home team to pull away in the second half.

"We had four fumbles inside the 10. Oh man ...," Raymondville head coach Alex Leal said. "We were not focused. The four-day week affected us. But, no excuses, both teams played really hard."

Valley View moved the ball well at times, but penalties and miscues prevented them from earning their first win of the year.

"I'm proud of our kids and the way they played," Valley View coach Dave Evans said. "We're inconsistent. The staff's working hard and the players are working hard, but we just can't find a way to win right now."

The Tigers, who played Port Isabel tough last week, jumped ahead of the Kats on their second possession.

After a 41-yard punt return on a confusing play in which Raymondville argued the Tiger player had called a fair catch, the Tigers started at the Bearkat 33-yard line.

Two plays later, workhorse back Miguel Mata (24 carries, 130 yards) burst up the gut for a 25-yard TD.

Raymondville answered right back when B.J. Flores (6-61) zipped for a 51-yard score virtually untouched. The PAT tied the game with 6:15 to go in the first.

The game stayed that way thanks to the Bearkats' fumbles -and their defense.

After a John Michael Rodriguez sack forced a Tiger punt, the Kats were on the move.

Raul Salinas (9-for-14 passing, 215 yards) hit Skylore Janes (5 catches, 143 yards) for a 57-yard completion. However, they put the ball on the ground at the Valley View 5 to end the threat.

Two plays after taking over, the Tigers fumbled it right back to the Kats as Rolando Cantu fell on it.

But, on the first play from scrimmage, Salinas couldn't handle the exchange and gave it right back to the Tigers.

Raymondville gave it away via fumbles on their next two possessions before halftime, but bottled up Valley View to keep the game at 7-7.

"Our defense has been tough for the past three weeks," Leal said. "We have guys that have been playing phenomenal football. Our defense is our backbone."

In the second half, the Kats pulled away.

A high snap on a Tiger punt gave the Kats a 9-7 lead and, on the ensuing kick, the ultra-fast Dustin Alejo streaked 78 yards for a touchdown. That gave Raymondville a 15-7 lead.

Later, Alejo put his stamp on the game later in the third, scoring on a beautiful 50-yard TD run and somersaulting into the end zone ala Reggie Bush with 7:18 left in the third.

Cippy Villarreal put it away in the fourth on a 19-yard scoring run.

On a side note:
As of Week 3 Dustin Alejo is still leading the nation in recieving yards according to Maxpreps.com. Granted it is early in the season congrats to him for making some national headlines.

Old Tiger
09-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Bearkat do you live in Raymondville? Do you happen to know the Mayos? They live in San Perlita

Ray_BearKat
09-12-2008, 01:27 PM
been splitting my time between Raymondville and Kingsville for the last few years while i go to school...can't say I do know them the only people from San Perlita I know are the Nieto's don't get out there often.

Old Tiger
09-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat
been splitting my time between Raymondville and Kingsville for the last few years while i go to school...can't say I do know them the only people from San Perlita I know are the Nieto's don't get out there often. San Perlita has quite a national monument!

Ray_BearKat
09-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
San Perlita has quite a national monument!

is that so? haven't noticed...