PDA

View Full Version : Ravens/Texans moved to Monday night

Maroon87
09-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Hurricane forces Ravens-Texans game to move to Monday night
ESPN.com news services

HOUSTON -- Hurricane Ike's pending impact on the Texas coastline has forced the Houston Texans to move their game Sunday with the Baltimore Ravens back a day.

In light of the storm, which is expected to reach land this weekend, the Texans will play the Ravens at 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday night in Houston. The game was originally scheduled for a 4:15 p.m. ET kickoff Sunday at Reliant Stadium.

Hurricane Ike was headed toward the Texas coast as a category 3 storm on Thursday. It was expected to make landfall between Houston and Corpus Christi sometime early Saturday morning.

The NFL hasn't been the only league affected by the storm. The Houston Astros are considering changing the time of their game with the Chicago Cubs on Friday from 8:05 p.m. ET to 2:05 p.m. ET because of Ike, which is projected to hit the city.

Additionally, University of Texas officials have decided to postpone the No. 8-ranked Longhorns' football game against Arkansas because of Hurricane Ike.

The game, which was scheduled for Saturday afternoon in Austin, will be played Sept. 27. The time of kickoff will be announced at a later date. Both teams have open dates that weekend.

One particular item of concern would have been packing more than 90,000 fans into Darrell K. Royal/Texas Memorial Stadium as evacuees would be leaving the area because of the storm. Texas Department of Transportation officials announced Wednesday they will make traffic one-way along Interstate 37 from Corpus Christi to Pleasanton, about 20 miles south of San Antonio, beginning at 7 a.m. Thursday to help speed the flow of people leaving the storm's projected landfall area.

McNeese State canceled Saturday's home football game against Cal Poly because of Hurricane Ike's potential effects on Lake Charles in Louisiana.

Oklahoma State announced that Saturday's home football game against Missouri State would kick off at 1:05 p.m. ET, six hours earlier than originally scheduled. The Stillwater area was already under a flash flood watch from a weather system unrelated to the hurricane, and officials hoped the later kickoff time would make travel to and from the game safer.

The Stanford-TCU game Saturday also has been moved up because of the storm. The game will be played at 1 p.m. ET in Forth Worth.

Air Force's game against Houston has been moved to Gerald J. Ford Stadium at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. ET. The game was moved from John O'Quinn Field at Robertson Stadium in Houston.

The Washington State-Baylor game has been moved up to Friday night in Waco. The game was originally scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Saturday. Kickoff is now scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Friday night.

ESPN.com college football reporter Tim Griffin contributed to this story. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

crzyjournalist03
09-12-2008, 11:02 AM
sucks for Texans fans...I'm guessing they'll black out the Cowboys game down there now?

Bull's-eye
09-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
sucks for Texans fans...I'm guessing they'll black out the Cowboys game down there now?

I heard they weren't going to black out the Cowboys, I guess they may show the Texans on a local channel or possibly ESPN2.

crzyjournalist03
09-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I heard they weren't going to black out the Cowboys, I guess they may show the Texans on a local channel or possibly ESPN2.

CBS is still carrying the Texans game, but said it would just be a "regional" broadcast...I wonder if DFW will get it or not?

Antec
09-12-2008, 11:45 AM
I doubt Monday's game attendance won't be very big

Depends how t he damage Of Ike is

3afan
09-12-2008, 11:46 AM
i dont think there is any way they play Monday in Houston

wimbo_pro
09-12-2008, 02:49 PM
I think its a huge stretch to think they will play Monday night. Power will be an issue, not to mention the potential for the catastrophic damage the storm might produce. Who will go to the game after what is about to happen? Did NONE of the Texan players evacuate? If they did, you think they can get back in time?What about the hundreds of staff needed to run the stadium? What about the roads and the traffic lights and the power lines and the debris? This is just plain silly.

They need to move it to Baltimore and play on Sunday.

Antec
09-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Good point

piratebg
09-13-2008, 01:35 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txtexansravenspostponed&prov=st&type=lgns

Ike forces postponement of Texans-Ravens game

1 hour, 8 minutes ago

HOUSTON (Ticker) - Damage from Hurricane Ike has forced the postponement of Monday night’s game between the Houston Texans and Baltimore Ravens, according to a published report

Ike has rendered Reliant Stadium unsuitable for the game to be played, according to the Houston Chronicle.

“The facility will not be usable,” Shey Guinn, president of SMG, the company that manages Reliant Park, told the newspaper. “There’s some structural damage to the roof. Part of it is off.”

The NFL already had switched the game from Sunday afternoon to Monday night in anticipation of the storm.

Guinn said the league will decide when and where the game will be played.

The Chronicle reported that neither team will comment on the postponement until they hear from NFL officials. A conference call is scheduled between all the parties later Saturday.

The Texans have two roads games before returning home on October 5. It is unclear whether Reliant Stadium will be ready by then.

“There’s also some other damage on the property caused by wind and water,” Guinn said. “We’re in the process of assessing the damage.”