View Full Version : Astros Postpone Games

kepdawg
09-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Friday and Saturday postponed

Maroon87
09-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Ike postpones two Cubs-Astros games
By Alyson Footer / MLB.com

HOUSTON -- Games on Friday and Saturday between the Astros and Cubs at Minute Maid Park were postponed on Thursday due to the expected arrival of Hurricane Ike.

"We feel that we will [play this weekend]," club owner Drayton McLane said earlier, when only Friday's game had been called. "We're still working with Major League Baseball. We haven't worked it out yet."

Ike is headed for the Texas coast and is expected to make landfall late Friday evening. The brunt of the storms are expected to pass through Houston on Saturday.

The Cubs have already confirmed they are returning to Chicago after their game with the Cardinals Thursday night instead of flying to Houston.

The two teams are currently working with Major League Baseball to decide how and where the games will be played. Neutral sites are an option.

Fans who have tickets to the Friday and/or Saturday games should retain those tickets, the Astros said, as they will be valid for the rescheduled game dates once those dates are determined.

Bull's-eye
09-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Hurricane Ike may be the only one that can slow down the Astros. :D

Maroon87
09-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Hurricane Ike may be the only one that can slow down the Astros. :D

We need to send the Astros down to stand on the Galveston seawall. Maybe then Ike would think better of it and land somewhere else.;)

Necks_Fan
09-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Oswalt pitching ANOTHER gem. 7 Shutout innings. The Astros lead 6-0.

Milwaukee and Ohilly playing tonight. It's a win-win for the 'Stros. Although I hope Philly wins.

Go Astros!

navscanmaster
09-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Philly wins, Astros win. Both clubs tied at 3 back from Milwaulkee in Wild Card. Getting interesting......

BTW, Roy Oswalt faced the minimum in a 3 hit shutout tonight. All three ground ball singles were followed by inning ending double plays. He is now the all time Astros consecutive scoreless innings pitched record holder at 32 1/3 innings.

zebrablue2
09-11-2008, 09:51 PM
astros playing way over their heads. no way to figure out this run. hope they keep it going... ike will slow them down somewhat... love my stros....

Bull's-eye
09-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Astros might of caught a break with the 2 games being postponed. This could give Roy Oswalt an extra start or at least have him move up in the rotation, possibly skipping over some of the less effective pitchers.

rangerjim
09-12-2008, 08:32 AM
As long as the hurricane break keeps Oswalt out of the Cubs series. Latest rumor is they will play a make-up doubleheader in St. Peterburg, FL. on Sunday (domed stadium and the Rays out of town) and then the final game of the series on Monday (not sure where the rumor has that one - if they do play Sunday in FL don't know why they go all the way back to Houston for one game).

Seems like only the Stros and Dodgers are playing winning ball right now with the Mets and Philly luke warm. Both the Cubs and Brewers are stinking up the place as of late. If they don't get their acts together, whoever makes the playoffs will find a lot of trouble with the Astros and the Dodgers.

As a Cubs fan, the Astros scare me the worst.

Bull's-eye
09-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Astros website show the next game is Sunday in Houston, I'm sure that is subject to change.

BTownVBall3
09-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I went to the game yesterday...it said there were 31,000 people there but i've been to many of games and there probably weren't over 15000 there. Hope the game doesn't get postponed sunday and waste my hummer buffet there.

Bull's-eye
09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Heard some rumor about playing those games in Arizona.

Necks_Fan
09-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Heard some rumor about playing those games in Arizona. That would suck to lose home games, but you gotta do what ya gotta do.

I just hope we have power.

crzyjournalist03
09-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I'd like to go on record and say I was wrong about Houston this year. I took some flack at the beginning of the season for predicting that they'd finish with a worse record than the Rangers, and I looked dead-on until August.

I don't know where they've picked up this second-half steam, but man, they're rolling.

Necks_Fan
09-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'd like to go on record and say I was wrong about Houston this year. I took some flack at the beginning of the season for predicting that they'd finish with a worse record than the Rangers, and I looked dead-on until August.

I don't know where they've picked up this second-half steam, but man, they're rolling. They always do. It seemed that they really started to push and play well when Carlos went down. Gave em some extra motivation, also Oswalt has been pitching out of his mind lately.

Back to back CG shutouts for him and multiple good ones before that too.

But yea, they always get rolling late. They have the best record in the majors after the all star break and they are still 3 out of the wild card, that should tell you about our division.

Bull's-eye
09-12-2008, 02:58 PM

I don't know where they've picked up this second-half steam, but man, they're rolling.

I actually thought you were right on the money. This Astros surge is something nobody expected or can honestly explain. Tell me how some of these young players and journeyman pitchers are now playing like all-stars?

Sweetwater Red
09-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Friday and Saturday postponed

I know. The Yahoo fantasy baseball playoffs are in full swing
and I'm having to sit Soriano and De La Rosa in one league and
Tejada and De La Rosa in another.:(

crzyjournalist03
09-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I know. The Yahoo fantasy baseball playoffs are in full swing
and I'm having to sit Soriano and De La Rosa in one league and
Tejada and De La Rosa in another.:(

Please tell me you mean DeRosa, because Jorge De La Rosa doesn't belong on any fantasy team to begin with.

Sweetwater Red
09-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Please tell me you mean DeRosa, because Jorge De La Rosa doesn't belong on any fantasy team to begin with.

Yeah Mark DeRosa...1st, 2nd, 3rd, and OF.:doh: