PDA

View Full Version : Well, wish us luck....

Necks_Fan
09-11-2008, 11:36 AM
that is, those of us who live near the coast in the projected path. We chose to ride it out and hope for the best....

I saw a picture from a helicopter on the news, and they said that everything in the picture would most likely be under water.

Worst part of it was, my job was in the center of that picture. (Treasure Island, near Galveston)

My mom lives in Freeport. (about 12 miles form the beach).

They said they will be getting about 15-18 ft storm surge and winds near 120 mph. I don't think her little wood house is going to fare well, or the little metal shed I just got through building her.

:( :(

Here's for hoping for the best, it's not looking good now for many people. Our biggest worry is the multiple BIG trees next to our house. We have called and called and called but we couldn't get anyone to come out and cut em down. :mad:

SWMustang
09-11-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm riding it out in Tomball. My only concern is being without power for an extended amount of time.

Maroon87
09-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Riding it out in The Woodlands. Good luck to all!

Lion_Addict
09-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Just so ya all know.....we are thinking about yawl down in that area, and will be sending up prayers. Stay safe & God Bless.

44INAROW
09-11-2008, 03:28 PM
good luck and please be safe Necks_Fan :)

KingRob
09-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Good Luck! If possible, send updates as to what is going on.

Hope all will be safe.

Necks_Fan
09-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Well, we finally got those really big trees cut down. Cost us $1000.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
09-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Hope everything works out for you guys down there. I will be hoping for the best for everyone down there.

carter08
09-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Riding it out in my apartment.

Corner of Kirby and Braeswood. Theres a bayou outside my window.

Trashman
09-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Is the storm surge expected to be 15 + feet high in your area?

Maroon87
09-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Is the storm surge expected to be 15 + feet high in your area?

Possibly as high as 22 ft along the ship channel, thus the mandatory evacs in those areas.

Trashman
09-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Those of you riding it out, our prayers are with you. Same for those who choose to evacuate. God Bless you all.:(

Necks_Fan
09-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Let's put it this way, Surfside to Galveston is ALREADY under water. There is no beach or dunes after the beach because the water has already moved in.

My mom's house is in Freeport, the exact area of projected landfall. I expect her house to be thoroughly damaged. I live with my Grandparents in West Columbia, which is about 35-miles inland as the crow flies.

I live RIGHT next to the Brazos River...... on Brazos River Rd. LOL. That should explain enough.

Anyway, we got everything taken care of today. Now, were just waiting. I been working with my gramps all day to get everything secure.

We should be alright, but I will most likely be out of power for a while.

Centerpoint said it's customers could be without power for up to 18 days.

Ranger Mom
09-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Let's put it this way, Surfside to Galveston is ALREADY under water. There is no beach or dunes after the beach because the water has already moved in.

My mom's house is in Freeport, the exact area of projected landfall. I expect her house to be thoroughly damaged. I live with my Grandparents in West Columbia, which is about 35-miles inland as the crow flies.

I live RIGHT next to the Brazos River...... on Brazos River Rd. LOL. That should explain enough.

Anyway, we got everything taken care of today. Now, were just waiting. I been working with my gramps all day to get everything secure.

We should be alright, but I will most likely be out of power for a while.

Centerpoint said it's customers could be without power for up to 18 days.

Did your mom evacuate somewhere???

Necks_Fan
09-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Did your mom evacuate somewhere??? Yea, her and my step-dad and lil bro are at Coshoutta(sp.) in LA.

Necks_Fan
09-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Well guys, it officially looks as though I'm out of a job. My job is being rampaged by water and there is no parking lot or road to get to it. Everything is flooded, and my fishing days there are over....:(

My search for a new job begins as soon as the storm passes.

STANG RED
09-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Well guys, it officially looks as though I'm out of a job. My job is being rampaged by water and there is no parking lot or road to get to it. Everything is flooded, and my fishing days there are over....:(

I hope to be in Taft by November, building a large wind farm. Gonna need lots of help if your interested. Good pay and lots of OT.
But in the meantime, I hope for the best for all of yall down there. Hope yall got some generators to at least keep the fridge and a couple lights going. Good Luck and may God be with you all!!!

zebrablue2
09-11-2008, 10:05 PM

god bless necks_fan. be safe. here in bellville the eye was projected to cross right over us. now looking a little more to the east. gonna be more wind than I have ever seen in my life. I was 2 when carla crossed bellville in 1961. do not remember the event. we can only pray for the best....

Necks_Fan
09-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Wow, Channel 13 had pictures and live video from Galveston and surfside. Dang, just about everything is flooded. Kema too.

We have everything ready and sercure.

There are 7 cars and 11 people at our house. I'm going to take before and after pictures. There will be a huge downed tree in the front yard, but we took that down before the storm got to us so it won't fall on the house. It makes it look bad now.

Antec
09-12-2008, 03:45 PM
We're in the Wharton area

Still very cautious and concerned even though they say winds wont be around 7 mph

Im always nervous about these things and stressed out

Saying a lot of prayers lately

NewYorkYankee
09-12-2008, 03:58 PM
thats good to hear she left if your next to the river make sure you have plans if it floods really bad like lifejackets etc..best wishes to all in the path of this monster.

ProudHornetMom
09-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Please...all take care of yourselves. Be watchful and alert. Looks like it's going to be a long night and then some...

Prayers for safety for all of y'all.

Necks_Fan
09-14-2008, 11:20 AM
Well, our power came back on at about 10:45....

It went out at 6:30 on Friday.

Anyway, we got a bunch of downed trees and one partially fell on our house, but no major damage. Everything is looking good and it's time to start cleaning up.

Surfide-Beaumont was completely under water. :(

Lion_Addict
09-14-2008, 02:04 PM
Wow, Channel 13 had pictures and live video from Galveston and surfside. Dang, just about everything is flooded. Kema too.

We've just been shocked at all the videos & pictures of all this. We were just at these places 2 1/2 months ago on Vacation. Spent an evening on Kemah Boardwalk, an evening downtown Houston, and a week in Galveston on Seawall Blvd. I keep looking at the pics we took and it's just sad seeing what it all looks like now. :(