PDA

View Full Version : Water spouts at Lake Buchanan

LH Panther Mom
09-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Waterspout reported over Lake Buchanan
By Hudson Lockett | Wednesday, September 10, 2008, 08:55 AM

The Llano County sheriff’s office and the LCRA reported a rare waterspout over Lake Buchanan on Tuesday night, said a meteorologist at the National Weather Service.

Essentially small-scale tornadoes that form over water, waterspouts are common along the southeast U.S. coast, according to the National Weather Service’s tornado FAQ.

“This type of phenomenon for Lake Buchanan, that’s a rare event,” said Robert Blaha, meteorologist and forecaster for the service. No damage had been reported, he said, and the waterspout, which was seen at about 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday, had dissipated that evening.

The waterspout is unrelated to Hurricane Ike, which is still hundreds of miles away.

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/weather/entries/2008/09/10/waterspout_repo.html)

LH Panther Mom
09-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Some of our friends live at Buchanan. Their backyard is the lake. lol Anyway, I had seen this article this morning. My hubby just called me in the other room to look at something. They have video of the funnel dropping out of the clouds, and the water spout coming up out of the water.

If he can get it on youtube, I'll post the link. It's extraordinary!

Old Tiger
09-10-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Some of our friends live at Buchanan. Their backyard is the lake. lol Anyway, I had seen this article this morning. My hubby just called me in the other room to look at something. They have video of the funnel dropping out of the clouds, and the water spout coming up out of the water.

If he can get it on youtube, I'll post the link. It's extraordinary! kickass dudette!

LH Panther Mom
09-10-2008, 11:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpCPH---ib4

Old Tiger
09-10-2008, 11:35 PM
totally awesome i gave it a 5 star rating in awesome!

JR2004
09-11-2008, 10:29 AM
That is pretty cool. I spent plenty of time at Buchanan during the summer when I was a kid. It's still probably my favorite lake. Great place to take a family to.

3afan
09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
pretty cool video ...

Ranger Mom
09-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
That is pretty cool. I spent plenty of time at Buchanan during the summer when I was a kid. It's still probably my favorite lake. Great place to take a family to.

I love that lake!! My family still has a cabin there somewhere...I haven't been there in years.

My stepsister and her husband have a big lake house there too!!

Emerson1
09-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I love that lake!! My family still has a cabin there somewhere...I haven't been there in years.

My stepsister and her husband have a big lake house there too!!
Buchanan sucks.

Inks is so much better

Ranger Mom
09-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Buchanan sucks.

Inks is so much better

I'll have to take your word for that!! The only part I saw of it was what I saw from the pavilion we were at!!

JR2004
09-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Buchanan sucks.

Inks is so much better

It doesn't suck. It's a great place for families to go to. My own family has been going there since at least the early 1960's. Many, many great memories from going there as a kid.

Inks is fun too, but Buchanan is what I enjoyed the most when I was younger.

Emerson1
09-11-2008, 02:48 PM
It doesn't suck. It's a great place for families to go to. My own family has been going there since at least the early 1960's. Many, many great memories from going there as a kid.

Inks is fun too, but Buchanan is what I enjoyed the most when I was younger.
You can't even be %100 sure the lake is going to be there, then if it is a mild wind will cause 2 foot white caps.

JR2004
09-11-2008, 03:03 PM
You can't even be %100 sure the lake is going to be there, then if it is a mild wind will cause 2 foot white caps.

Okay...I really don't see where you're going with this other than you don't like Buchanan so it must indeed suck for anyone else who goes there. Not everyone likes exactly what you like. I like Inks, but I also like Buchanan and will one day take my own kids down there during the summer to enjoy going to the same campsites that my family and I went to as a kid.

ASUFrisbeeStud
09-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Okay...I really don't see where you're going with this other than you don't like Buchanan so it must indeed suck for anyone else who goes there. Not everyone likes exactly what you like. I like Inks, but I also like Buchanan and will one day take my own kids down there during the summer to enjoy going to the same campsites that my family and I went to as a kid.

We have a cabin on Buchanan and I personally think it's way better than Inks.

espn1
09-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Buchanan sucks.

Inks is so much better They're all good it depends on what you want to do. I've met boat loads of women on Inks and LBJ. A lot of great memories.
1.LBJ
2.Inks
3.Buchanan (1) if you like seclusion

Was that water spout taken at Black Rock?

espn1
09-12-2008, 03:45 PM
You can't even be %100 sure the lake is going to be there, then if it is a mild wind will cause 2 foot white caps. You have to be a retard if you can't find water on a 23,000 acre lake! Last year it was incredibly low. As low as I've ever seen it and I'm a homer.

LH Panther Mom
09-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by espn1
Was that water spout taken at Black Rock?
I'm not sure. I've been to their house 2-3 times but it's been quite a while. I'm not familiar enough with Buchanan to know where Black Rock is.

JR2004
09-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'm not sure. I've been to their house 2-3 times but it's been quite a while. I'm not familiar enough with Buchanan to know where Black Rock is.

Black Rock is where we always went to when I was younger. I'm not sure if that video was taken there though. Somewhat hard to tell.