PDA

View Full Version : This Week in West Texas

vet93
10-29-2002, 11:03 AM
There are some good games this week and in many districts the playoff picture is beginning to come into focus. Monahans/Kermit should be a good game. I lean toward going with the loboes but you can't discount a pesky Kermit team. Kermit's coach took Ballinger to the quarterfinals back in the mid nineties so he knows how to coach in the big games. Sweetwater/Merkel will likely decide the positioning of the two small schools playoff representatives from 3-3a. I think that Sweetwater will take this game. Merkel has done very well but someone told me that their star running back might be injured. If this is true it will definitely hurt against a team like Sweetwater and could jeopardize their playoff hopes in week 10. He (Caraway) is the catalyst for their team. Hopefully he is not injured. If anyone knows for sure let us know. The other really big game is the Vernon/Iowa Park matchup which will decide the positioning of the small school representatives in 5-3a. Iowa Park has surprised alot of people as has Vernon with the loss of Bernard Scott. This should be a great game. The winner will likely be decided by who is the most prepared to gut out the win. What does everyone think about these games and others? Picks (Last week 9/9):

Monahans over Kermit in a squeaker
Ft. Stockton over Pecos (Had high hopes for the eagles...Stockton played well against greenwood)
Ballinger over Comanche (This will be a much closer game than Comanche vs Wylie)
Wylie over Brady (Wylie will crush Brady, this could get ugly)
Clyde over Early (sets up a showdown with Comanche next week...I like the Bulldogs in that one too!!)
Snyder over Lamesa (big)
Sweetwater over Merkel (If Merkel is without Caraway this could be a blowout)
Denver City over Seminole (should be a close hard fought game)
Vernon over Iowa Park (This one could go either way)
Graham over Breckenridge

pero chato
10-29-2002, 11:26 AM
I agree with all of your picks. The news reported that Caraway hurt his knee and is out for the season. That's a blow to Merkel for sure. Sweetwater should win that game, but I think Merkel will play them tough. I look for Clyde to make the playoffs but of course they need to win their last two games. Clyde played Wylie and Ballinger close, so they should beat Early and Comanche. Iowa Park and Vernon should be another close one, but I will go with Iowa Park. I know we (Wylie) are not looking forward to playing Graham again. Our luck is bound to run out sooner or later against them.

vet93
10-29-2002, 11:36 AM
Pero Chato...I know that Graham will be highly motivated to beat you guys but right now Wylie seems to be trending up while I think that Graham has kind of plateaued a little bit. If Wylie keeps improving and cuts down on the mistakes then you will be tough in the playoffs. The problem for both Wylie and Graham is that you have to play Everman in Round 2. Nothing is impossible...but they sure are fast! Vernon and Iowa Park will be tough opponents for the 6-3a small school teams to beat. It doesn't get any better in round 2 when teams like Bridgeport, Everman and possibly Decatur are lurking around. Sometimes it is a real bummer being in the "eastern" half of the bracket. With no disrespect to the people out west it has been much tougher to win the first few rounds in the eastern half of the bracket than in the western in most cases.

Wtx_coach
10-29-2002, 01:43 PM
Hey vet, I like your picks, that monahans and kermit game is going to be a big one, Heres my take on the game if Kermit can get a lead or have the game close in the 4th quarter they will win the ball game, but Kermit cant get down by more then 10 or else the defense of Monahans will hold on for the victory, my take is Kermit by 3(the reason is the lack of offense that Monahans has, but has a great D that can maybe win them the ball game.

snotbubble
10-29-2002, 01:58 PM
Agree with all of youor picks except I think Vernon beats IP. IP has had tremendous distraction this week. One of their JH coaches was killed in a car accident.

vet93
10-29-2002, 02:09 PM
This is the one that I had the most trouble picking. It ought to be a dandy. Are they playing in Vernon or IP? That could also be a factor.

snotbubble:
Agree with all of youor picks except I think Vernon beats IP. IP has had tremendous distraction this week. One of their JH coaches was killed in a car accident.

snotbubble
10-29-2002, 02:15 PM
Pretty sure they play in Vernon.