PDA

View Full Version : 3A Massey Ratings for Week of 9/9

WOS87
09-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Click here --->LINK (http://www.highschoolsports.net/defaultcal300x250.cfm?ct=stateratings&conftodisp=Texas&year=2008&conf_id1=CFB76376)

Top 25 in Class 3A

1. Liberty Hill
2. Celina
3. Waco La Vega (moved up 3)
4. West Orange-Stark (moved up 1)
5. Abilene Wylie (moved down 2)
6 Giddings (moved up 1)
7. Gilmer (moved up 1)
8. Brownwood (moved down 4)
9. China Spring
10. Cuero (moved up 1)
11. Alvarado (moved up 7)
12. Burkburnett (moved up 2)
13. Carthage (moved up 6)
14. Bellville (moved up 7)
15. Prosper (moved up 18)
16. Navasota (moved up 12)
17. Liberty-Eylau (moved down 2)
18. Argyle (moved down 5)
19. Decatur (moved up 7)
20. Sweetwater (moved up 3)
21. Robinson (moved down 11)
22. Vernon (moved down 6)
23. Rockdale (moved up 4)
24. Bridgeport (moved up 5)
25. Graham (moved down 13)

Bull's-eye
09-10-2008, 10:50 AM
These ratings get better as the season goes along. I didn't notice Sealy, I guess the ratings are based on the level of competition. Most other polls have them in the top 15. :thinking:

Dominicfrank
09-10-2008, 12:36 PM
interseting ranking system. Vernon plays a 4A level team that is pretty good but we go down 6 spots. Who really cares ?

Old Tiger
09-10-2008, 12:39 PM
what is the formula for massey ratings?

Dominicfrank
09-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Schedule: The difficulty of each team's schedule is measured in the Sched column. Factors include the quality of each opponent, the opponent's Massey Rating and an adjustment for homefield advantage. Note that schedule strength only represents games played to date. Until a team plays its first game, it will not have a schedule strength rating.

Offense: A team's Offense power rating essentially measures the ability to score points. This does not distinguish how points are scored, so good defensive play that leads to scoring will be reflected in the Offense rating. In general, the offensive rating can be interpreted as the number of points a team would be expected to score against an average defense.

Defense: A team's Defense power rating reflects the ability to prevent its opponent from scoring. An average defense will be rated at zero. Positive or negative defensive ratings would respectively lower or raise the opponent's expected score accordingly.

It should be emphasized that the Offense/Defense breakdown is simply a post-processing step, and as such has no bearing on the overall rating. A consequence of this is that the Offense/Defense ratings may not always match actual production numbers. A team that routinely wins close games may have somewhat inflated Offense/Defense ratings to reflect the fact that they are likely to play well when they have to.

Power: In contrast to overall rating, Power is a better measure of potential based on schedule, offense and defense, and is less concerned with wins and losses.

Bio

Ken Massey is the computer ratings analyst for HighSchoolSports.net. Ken is a math professor at Carson Newman College in TN, and has been providing football rankings since 1995. In 1999, Ken was asked by SEC commissioner Roy Kramer to add his ratings to the BCS Formula, which chooses the participants for the NCAA Division 1 National Championship game. This same computer algorithm is used to calculate HighSchoolSports.net's Massey Ratings for high school boys varsity football across the country.

Texasfootball2
09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
I will have to admit that I've never been real big on polls, but over the years the Massey Ratings usually give you a good idea of who will be playing after Thanksgiving. Like everything else there will be some exceptions but it's a good measure of how good some teams are regardless of won/loss records.:) Just my opinion:D

K-MAC Chuck
09-10-2008, 06:51 PM
I HAVE to disagree..

Navasota ONLY at #16? And that's after moving UP 12 spots??

Big disagreement, Navasota should have been in the Top 10 (and probably the Top 5) to begin with..

navscanmaster
09-10-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
I HAVE to disagree..

Navasota ONLY at #16? And that's after moving UP 12 spots??

Big disagreement, Navasota should have been in the Top 10 (and probably the Top 5) to begin with..

Ahh, we don't mind being ranked lower.:devil:

Necks_Fan
09-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Woohoo. Columbia at #40!

Up 27 spots.... Nice!

Also, K-Mac, this poll is based SOLELY on numbers and not opinion or potential. As the season goes on, THIS poll tends to get ALOT more accurate, taking into account common opponents and scoresd and whatnot.

WOS87
09-10-2008, 08:14 PM
This is the first year he's even had a rating in the first few weeks of the season. Navasota and Sealy are both starting out low because the initial ratings used for 2008 were the final ratings for 2007. As the season progresses, only games from 2008 will be counted in the calculations.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
09-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
I didn't notice Sealy, I guess the ratings are based on the level of competition.:thinking:

Level of competition, Private, 2a, 2a, 3a, and Private.

Bull's-eye
09-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
This is the first year he's even had a rating in the first few weeks of the season. Navasota and Sealy are both starting out low because the initial ratings used for 2008 were the final ratings for 2007. As the season progresses, only games from 2008 will be counted in the calculations.

I disagee, it has been a reflection on their first 2 games. Navasota squeaks by Henderson, who was soundly defeated by Carthage. Sealy opponents have a terrible rating and the Tigers weren't that impressive in their first game. Both teams finished last season much stronger than Bellville, but Bellville has climbed largely due to defeating 2 good opponents. Bellville was very impressive in their wins over a good Caldwell team and 4A Livingston, a team that previously went 3 rounds in the playoffs.