PDA

View Full Version : East Carolina will not file assault charges...

JR2004
09-10-2008, 02:27 AM
http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/27979039.html

ECU police say they have completed an initial inquiry into complaints that excessive force was used against fans who stormed the field after the West Virginia game.

University spokesman John Durham tells WITN News that ECU will not bring any charges against any officer involved with what happened Saturday. Durham says that's because a mutual-aid agreement says any charges would have to be brought by the police officer's own department and not ECU police.

ECU police chief Scott Shelton refuses to identify officers who have been identified in the video tapes or even what agencies they belong to, citing personnel laws. He has forwarded the information to the appropriate law enforcement agencies for their own investigations. He said any disciplinary action would have to come from the officer's departments.

ECU says for the remainder of the football season the university will reduce the number of outside agencies and will only use officers from within Pitt County.

Chancellor Steve Ballard said the university will review its game-day protocols and training to make sure everything possible is done to protect the safety of fans and players at the game. "Safety is paramount," Ballard said. "Everything starts with that."

Ballard says university police will work with both the Athletics Department and the Student Government Association to educate students about the dangers of rushing onto the field after a game.

Meanwhile, Kinston police say they've received no complaints from anyone involved with what happened Saturday. In WITN's video, several officers who appear to be wearing Kinston police uniforms were seen body-slamming one fan, and physically restraining another.

Kinston police say they're still awaiting information from ECU police on what happened.

Old Tiger
09-10-2008, 02:35 AM
Are you kidding me? There was definately excessive force from the footage I have seen.

JR2004
09-10-2008, 02:36 AM
The video of the incident is on the WITN page. Click on the link and on the page scroll to what should be the 9th video in the list. Most of the officers used good judgment and let the kids go out and celebrate. My guess is the bald cop shown hitting one of the fans repeatedly is probably out of a job.

JR2004
09-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Are you kidding me? There was definately excessive force from the footage I have seen.

Well it says the individual departments the officers are employed by have to file the charges. I would think there will probably be some charges filed at some point. I saw on ESPN where they said some of the force used against fans was just horrible. Most of the officers just let the kids run wild and have fun, but a few officers have ruined it for the rest.

Old Tiger
09-10-2008, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
The video of the incident is on the WITN page. Click on the link and on the page scroll to what should be the 9th video in the list. Most of the officers used good judgment and let the kids go out and celebrate. My guess is the bald cop shown hitting one of the fans repeatedly is probably out of a job. He better be! Rodney King is like damn even i didn't get it that bad :D

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-10-2008, 08:02 AM
This type of stuff is what gives cops a bad reputation. I'm ok with the body slam but I still think it was over the top (hey I just made a funny) -- but I'm NOT even close to being ok with the cop punching the guy. That is terrible and I can assure you he will be out of a job and he, ECU and his department will catch a law suit over that. -- Terrible.