PDA

View Full Version : NFL to consider eliminating the PAT

CHS_89
09-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Roger Goodell is expected to announce on Friday the NFL will establish a new rule to eliminate the PAT. After the season ending knee injury to place kicker Mike Nugent last Sunday, the league and owners associations have voted to no longer allow the PAT and requiring teams to attempt a two point conversion after touchdown.

Link to this story to follow.

wimbo_pro
09-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by CHS_89
Roger Goodell is expected to announce on Friday the NFL will establish a new rule to eliminate the PAT. After the season ending knee injury to place kicker Mike Nugent last Sunday, the league and owners associations have voted to no longer allow the PAT and requiring teams to attempt a two point conversion after touchdown.

I saw that!! They also said it would open the roster for another player, probably increasing the scoring in the games. I see their point...it just might work.

JR2004
09-09-2008, 11:43 PM
I applaud Roger if he follows through and does this. I'd rather just see teams go for two everytime. There's no sense in putting a kicker in harm's way like that just for one point.

wimbo_pro
09-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
I applaud Roger if he follows through and does this. I'd rather just see teams go for two everytime. There's no sense in putting a kicker in harm's way like that just for one point.

Exactly JR. Let's face it...kickers are like golfers in pads...they really arent atheletes anyways.

JR2004
09-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Exactly JR. Let's face it...kickers are like golfers in pads...they really arent atheletes anyways.

So true, so very true.

headhunter
09-09-2008, 11:46 PM
So one guy gets hurt and we are going to change the way we play the game? Hmmm

I don't understand, and I need some points from my kicker in Fantasy Football.

I don't really like it, however it would make the games a bit more interesting.

kepdawg
09-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Heck last Friday Big Spring went for 2 almost every time they scored! They kicked once and it looked awful barely making it and the other time their kick was blocked!

JR2004
09-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Heck last Friday Big Spring went for 2 almost every time they scored! They kicked once and it looked awful barely making it and the other time their kick was blocked!

So I take it you would like this if it gets implemented Kep?

SintonFan_inAustin
09-09-2008, 11:49 PM
They will also consider a 20 game season, 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games.

kepdawg
09-09-2008, 11:49 PM
So I take it you would like this if it gets implemented Kep?

I don't know. What like 98% of kicks are made in the NFL. It'll make things more interesting for sure!

wimbo_pro
09-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
They will also consider a 20 game season, 2 preseason games and 18 regular season games.

Sinton, so you saw the same article?

SintonFan_inAustin
09-09-2008, 11:51 PM
Sinton, so you saw the same article? fox radio, i drive mostly all day and get to listen to talk radio and heard it there.

wimbo_pro
09-09-2008, 11:53 PM
fox radio, i drive mostly all day and get to listen to talk radio and heard it there.

And your thoughts on the PAT?

kepdawg
09-09-2008, 11:54 PM
fox radio, i drive mostly all day and get to listen to talk radio and heard it there.

Fox radio is still on? I think they got rid of that in Dallas. I didn't listen to it too much anyway though.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-09-2008, 11:56 PM
should stay like it is, if you want two points you can always go for 2 if you dont want your kicker to get hurt :)

SintonFan_inAustin
09-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Fox radio is still on? I think they got rid of that in Dallas. I didn't listen to it too much anyway though. a station out of Alice texas carries it.

Emerson1
09-10-2008, 12:03 AM
The UIL needs to adopt this. So much pressure should not be put on one child!

Old Tiger
09-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
The UIL needs to adopt this. So much pressure should not be put on one child! HS everywhere especially in California. That was a travesty over in California for Carson

3afan
09-10-2008, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
The UIL needs to adopt this. So much pressure should not be put on one child!

OK Phil :D

scrub c
09-10-2008, 06:26 AM
The NFL goes even farther to prove my point that it is no longer FOOTBALL...

It is exhibition football strictly for the entertainment of real football fans of HS and College Football.

I see nothing good coming from this rule...

Pick6
09-10-2008, 08:15 AM
I saw that!! They also said it would open the roster for another player, probably increasing the scoring in the games. I see their point...it just might work.

Open a roster spot? Are they not going to kick off anymore either? What other rule changes was made up in the chat session last evening?

worldbfree
09-10-2008, 08:33 AM
How would it open a roster spot? Teams still have to kick off...and most use the same kicker to do both...

Sweetwater Red
09-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Two years too late for Tony Romo.:thinking: :devil:

wimbo_pro
09-10-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by worldbfree
How would it open a roster spot? Teams still have to kick off...and most use the same kicker to do both...

I think eventually they will eliminate the kick offs too...they are just too violent. People get hurt.

Eagle 1
09-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Thats a stupid rule change just because some scrawny kicker got hurt. :crying:
Why dont we just do away with tackle all together and make it flag football?
Football is not a game for nice people. :evilgrin:
Somebody else wrote this on another mb and I copied and moved it over here and I agree %100.

ITS ALL BS!!! LOL!!! There was no horsecollar rule just three years ago when I finished playing in high school. If were going by college coaches then how dumb are we? Some of those rules are stupid! Football almost is getting to be lame. So many rules to follow its getting to where its not even fun! the game is dangerous! If you dont like it then dont play it! Thats how I feel! I broke bones, popped out shoulder blades! sprained my wrists elbows and ankles but I kept on playing! Toughen up if you wanna play such a contact sport! If you cant then just sit in the stands and wish you could! :

RMAC
09-10-2008, 09:15 AM
I think what happened was Goodell saw the game between the 2 California teams last week and said: "We're screwed. Let's just save the trouble and get rid of the PAT right now, so by the time those kids get here it won't be anything new to them." :D

jockcity33
09-10-2008, 09:21 AM
so we are going to eliminate PAT's becausse a kicker got hurt. Are we also going to eliminate Quarterbacks because Tom Brady also had a season ending injury? And how is it going to open a roster spot? Are they eliminating field goals and kickoffs also. Dang pansy's.

gatordaze
09-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I actually think that eliminating the mostly automatic 1 point play is ggod. I would like to make the kicker even more important by having a variable point FG. Inside the 20 is 2 points, 20 to 50 is 3 50+ is 5 points. You iwould nterject a whole new end of game strategy.

Texasfootball2
09-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by CHS_89

Dang! I wish this rule had been in place last Friday Night. We may have beaten Liberty Hill, since we were 1 for 4 in extra points anyway.:D

Phil C
09-10-2008, 11:00 AM
The PAT after tds was started to help eliminate ties. In the old the drop kick was generally used and the PATs were not a sure thing. They added a holder and the kickers got more accurate. That is why in the 50s they added the two points option to again help eliminate ties. For many years the PAT was awarded as a bonus to the team scoring but in the past few years they added the option that the defense can score two points if they block it or are able to run it back for a score.

lion75
09-10-2008, 11:06 AM
I applaud Roger if he follows through and does this. I'd rather just see teams go for two everytime. There's no sense in putting a kicker in harm's way like that just for one point. I thought you were all about being "old school". You know. No celebrating, stuff like that. This would definitely change the game radically.

pirate4state
09-10-2008, 11:20 AM
I worry about some of yall. Really, I do!

LMAO!

JasperDog94
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Is it April 1st already?;)

wimbo_pro
09-10-2008, 01:43 PM
I just think by eliminating the PAT, forbidding kick offs to prevent injuries, removing kickers from the roster completely because they are vunerable, and making a rule that if you hurt the other teams QB, your QB must switch teams to even things out....all these things will make the game much more "user friendly" and be more reflective of the type of society we all strive for. We have to start somewhere...why not football?

Dominicfrank
09-10-2008, 03:20 PM
no one has mentioned that we would still need kickers for FG's. we would still need kickers so extra roster spot. I actually think you could make TD's worth 7 but if you go for two adn dont make it you lose one point. That is VERY complicated so maybe we just do away with the extra tries in general.

JR2004
09-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by lion75
I thought you were all about being "old school". You know. No celebrating, stuff like that. This would definitely change the game radically.

What does getting rid of miscreants and vagabonds like TO and Ocho Cinco have to do with protecting kickers from unneccessary harm? Please tell me how the two correlate to each other!

CelinaTurf
09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Dang! I wish this rule had been in place last Friday Night. We may have beaten Liberty Hill, since we were 1 for 4 in extra points anyway.:D

That would only have helped you if HS followed pro rules.

CelinaTurf
09-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I've got an idea. How about we put a make-shift fence around the kicker to keep the evil defensemen from getting too close to him?

Or perhaps we could simply not have the defense on the field, blindfold the kicker, spin him around three times and then have him try to make it. THAT would be fun to watch.

Phantom Stang
09-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Dominicfrank
no one has mentioned that we would still need kickers for FG's.
Nope. Field Goals are just as dangerous as PATs. Punters are also very vulnerable. Therefore, I recommend doing away with kicks of any kind.:nerd:

wimbo_pro
09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by CelinaTurf
I've got an idea. How about we put a make-shift fence around the kicker to keep the evil defensemen from getting too close to him?

Or perhaps we could simply not have the defense on the field, blindfold the kicker, spin him around three times and then have him try to make it. THAT would be fun to watch.

You make fun of a very important issue like this????

LH Panther Mom
09-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by CelinaTurf

I'd like to see them blindfold him, spin him around three times, then have him do a backwards "granny shot" at the goal posts.

JasperDog94
09-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Nope. Field Goals are just as dangerous as PATs. Punters are also very vulnerable. Therefore, I recommend doing away with kicks of any kind.:nerd: Bring on the "no punting" rule from the AFL.:D :D :D

Antec
09-10-2008, 08:45 PM
As far as punters- East Bernard and A&M Graduate Shane Lechler is one of the best in the NFL- playing for the Oakland Raiders

This is the last year on his contract and trying to get back home to Texas

He knows Kubiak so maybe he could be a Texan next year.

Lechler had 5 punts last week for a 51 yard average

exbulldog06
09-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
The NFL goes even farther to prove my point that it is no longer FOOTBALL...

It is exhibition football strictly for the entertainment of real football fans of HS and College Football.

I see nothing good coming from this rule...

I agree... I actually like watching kickers kick field goals cause not everyone can do it and it takes alot of talent.

K-MAC Chuck
09-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I worry about some of yall. Really, I do!

LMAO!

Amen to that!!! :clap:

K-MAC Chuck
09-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I'd like to see them blindfold him, spin him around three times, then have him do a backwards "granny shot" at the goal posts.

You may as well bring back the "drop kick" while you're at it. :nerd:

BobcatBenny
09-11-2008, 07:52 AM
They probably should replace the point after TD with the "Hole in the Wall" game. They should weigh the team before each game and designate the heaviest guy on the team as the player that must perform the stunt. :nerd: