New Orleans 24 Tampa Bay 20
Philadelphia 38 St. Louise 3
Dallas 28 Cleveland 10
Carolina 26 San Diego 24
Arizona 23 San Francisco 13
Chicago 29 Indianapolis 13
Green Bay 24 Minnesota 19
Denver 41 Oakland 14

Historically the team that finally wins the Super Bowl wins their opening game. However we must remember there are still 15 games to play and their have been been exceptions to this rule and who knows this might be one of them.

But based on the above criteria we can eliminate the following teams from winning the Super Bowl in 2009.

Washington, Cincinatti, Miami, Kansas City, Houston, Jacksonville, Detroit (the curse is still on), Seattle, Tampa Bay, St. Louise, Cleveland, San Diego, San Francisco (shocking indeed considering the great years of the 80s and 90s), Indianapolis, Minnesota and Oakland.

At the same time one of the following teams should win the next Super Bowl.

New York Giants, Baltimore, New York Jets, New England, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Atlanta, Buffalo, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Dallas, Carolina, Arizona, Chicago, Green Bay, and Denver.

As written this is just a trend but there are years when the exception has happened and this may be one of those years.

crzyjournalist03
09-09-2008, 10:17 AM
What is the percentage of the trend?

Phil C
09-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
What is the percentage of the trend?

crzy you have asked a very valid question. This used to be mentioned by the sports broadcasters on game one but since you asked this valid question I did research on it. I checked it out on the last ten super bowl champions since I preferred more the more modern trend and came up with the following which to me were surprising results which verifies one should do more research than rely on past comments.
In the past ten years six Super Bowl winners have won their first game of the season which is a percentage of 60%. Four of the Super Bowl Winners have lost their first game which is 40%. In fact last year the Giants lost their first two games of the regular season.

In conclusion because of the trend being close at 60% to 40% this analysis is too close to be called accurate in my opinion. If it had been at least 70% or better yet 80% or above it would have been a reasonable thrend. The thing is there is much parity in the league and there are now 15 games left after the opener since the reason lasts 16 games instead of the former 14.

Interesting thoughts though but thank goodness for posters like crzy who asked pertinent questions that call for analysis.

garciap77
09-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
crzy you have asked a very valid question. This used to be mentioned by the sports broadcasters on game one but since you asked this valid question I did research on it. I checked it out on the last ten super bowl champions since I preferred more the more modern trend and came up with the following which to me were surprising results which verifies one should do more research than rely on past comments.
In the past ten years six Super Bowl winners have won their first game of the season which is a percentage of 60%. Four of the Super Bowl Winners have lost their first game which is 40%. In fact last year the Giants lost their first two games of the regular season.

In conclusion because of the trend being close at 60% to 40% this analysis is too close to be called accurate in my opinion. If it had been at least 70% or better yet 80% or above it would have been a reasonable thrend. The thing is there is much parity in the league and there are now 15 games left after the opener since the reason lasts 16 games instead of the former 14.

Interesting thoughts though but thank goodness for posters like crzy who asked pertinent questions that call for analysis.

Could this apply to 3A Football? What your Analysis on 3A?

Phil C
09-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
Could this apply to 3A Football? What your Analysis on 3A?

I don't think so garciap. I hardly think it's fair to condemn a whole program because of one minor slip up.

:)

garciap77
09-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I don't think so garciap. I hardly think it's fair to condemn a whole program because of one minor slip up.

:) :iagree: