PDA

View Full Version : Region I GOTW: Sweetwater vs Monahans (merged)

Sweetwater Red
09-02-2008, 10:09 AM
No one one is looking past Seminole (picked to finish 2nd behind
Monahans in 3-3A) and in Monahans case they're fully aware of
how tough Bye Week can be. Heck Bye Week is picked to make
it to the first round of the playoffs in all four regions.:eek:

But seriously, who wins and why?

Tres Lobos
09-02-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm goin with monahans, cuz i'm from monahans lol, and because were much improved this year. Not to say sweetwater isn't but, our defensive from 7 is very good, and i don't think sweetwater is goin to beable to run the ball much on us.

Monahans 24
Sweetwater 7

justlikesports
09-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Being from Monahans, I gotta go with the green team. Will be tough for the Loboes coming off the bye, but still gonna pick em.
GO LOBOES!

JR2004
09-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Sweetwater fans I have a question.

Is your offense that bad this year or was that a one time thing against Burk? If it's not that good I'll go with Monahans.

DaHop72
09-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
No one one is looking past Seminole (picked to finish 2nd behind
Monahans in 3-3A) and in Monahans case they're fully aware of
how tough Bye Week can be. Heck Bye Week is picked to make
it to the first round of the playoffs in all four regions.:eek:

But seriously, who wins and why? If you are not looking past Seminole shouldn't this be a Sweetwater/Seminole poll??:devil: :devil:

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I think Burk is going to be a really tough team this year and with that in mind, I'm going with Sweetwater as they hung in there with the Bulldogs.

tigerchick_2013
09-02-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm going with the hobos, oops I mean lobos on this one, any time i can pick someone to donkey stomp those dirty water ponies, lol.:D :cool:

STANG RED
09-02-2008, 02:53 PM
I had to be a homer and pick Sweetwater, but it will all depend on if the offense gets untracked. The defense will be fine as long as the offense can do their part.

Sweetwater Red
09-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I had to be a homer and pick Sweetwater, but it will all depend on if the offense gets untracked. The defense will be fine as long as the offense can do their part.

I think that going back to 2000, Sweetwater had the luxury of
having two or more skill players that could score from anywhere
on the field and on any down. This year I think it's going to be
more like three yards and a cloud of dust. They'll just have to
keep from making mistakes that put them in 3rd and long.

mrmcd
09-02-2008, 09:05 PM
I am not picking Monahans because I live there.
I am not picking them because they have 3 skill players that can score from anywhere on the field at any time.
I am not picking them because they have a couple of receivers that could catch a rock thrown at them from 50 yards in a sand storm.
I am not picking them because the defense held a powerhouse Wylie offense to average in two quarters of play during a scrimmage.
I am picking them because I see a team. Not individuals, but a team. None of them count statistics. All give one another credit for success. A team that celebrated the week 0 win for about 10 minutes, then became focused on palying Sweetwater. Sweetwater is a quality opponent but this is not 2000 or 2005. This is the new mean green machine. What a game to watch these two powerhouse teams with much tradition go at it. The winner should fall into the top 10.

Monahans 35
Sweetwater 14

WylieBulldog92
09-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by mrmcd
I am not picking them because they have 3 skill players that can score from anywhere on the field at any time.
I am not picking them because they have a couple of receivers that could catch a rock thrown at them from 50 yards in a sand storm.
I am not picking them because the defense held a powerhouse Wylie offense to average in two quarters of play during a scrimmage.
I am picking them because I see a team. Not individuals, but a team. None of them count statistics. All give one another credit for success. A team that celebrated the week 0 win for about 10 minutes, then became focused on palying Sweetwater. Sweetwater is a quality opponent but this is not 2000 or 2005. This is the new mean green machine. What a game to watch these two powerhouse teams with much tradition go at it. The winner should fall into the top 10.

Monahans 35
Sweetwater 14

Are you trying to write an article for the newspaper we don't know about?

Stangs325
09-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Sweetwater fans I have a question.

Is your offense that bad this year or was that a one time thing against Burk? If it's not that good I'll go with Monahans.

now i have a question.
do you know anything about football or was that just a one time post thing?

garciap77
09-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Close game, but Sweetwater wins by 3!

Sweetwater Red
09-03-2008, 09:33 AM

Monahans 35
Sweetwater 14

Sounds like Monahans has an explosive offense. Let's not
forget what happened the last time Monahans had one when
they played Sweetwater.:evillol:

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38704&highlight=Sweetwater+monahans+finals

Sweetwater 7
Monahans 6

Black_Magic
09-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
If you are not looking past Seminole shouldn't this be a Sweetwater/Seminole poll??:devil: :devil: Yse It should and that means it is the Kiss of Death for the mustangs this week. Seminole by 10.:rolleyes:

Sweetwater Red
09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Yse It should and that means it is the Kiss of Death for the mustangs this week. Seminole by 10.:rolleyes:

Kinda hard to talk X's and O's with Seminole posters when
there aren't any.:rolleyes:

Phantom Stang
09-03-2008, 11:05 AM
My homer pick is........

Sweetwater of course!!:D

westtxfballfan
09-03-2008, 01:04 PM
My homer pick is Monahans, of course, but I don't know what to expect from them until I see a couple of games. I understand they looked very good against Midland Christian, and I saw all the juniors and sophmores they had starting last year. I think they can be very, very good this year, but I also remember Monahans starting the year off last year hanging 40+ on #3 Snyder and then being mediocre in a lot of games thereafter.

That said, if Sweetwater doesn't have their typical burner who can take it to the house on any given play (and they're not passing anymore than they usually do,) I agree that Monahans finally has a couple of playmakers that can. Monahans 21-7.

IHStangFan
09-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Gimme Monahans....for no other reason than I've been there more times than I've been to Sweetwater, and I actually drove through Monahans about 2 months ago.

Stownhorse
09-03-2008, 01:09 PM
[BThe defense will be fine as long as the offense can do their part. [/B]

Thats going to be my question for every game this season. Will the offense show up?

Stownhorse
09-03-2008, 01:15 PM
The winner should fall into the top 10.

Monahans 35
Sweetwater 14

What are you on? Can I have some?

The winner will only be the winner plain and simple. But I have a strong feeling that neither one of these teams will see the top 10.

R1Editor
09-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Sounds like Monahans has an explosive offense. Let's not
forget what happened the last time Monahans had one when
they played Sweetwater.:evillol:

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38704&highlight=Sweetwater+monahans+finals

Sweetwater 7
Monahans 6 I think that this could be an interesting matchup. Monahans comes in with a huge offensive line that will probably try and run it down the Mustangs throat. Do the Mustangs have enough size to stop the running game and do they have the speed they had in the above game to offset the size?

Could the Loboes be in for a suprise with the possibiliity of the Mustangs going from a grinding ground attack to the possibility of airing in out with a southpaw who proved last year that he can do that if given the chance?

Bystanders wonder about these questions.

Stownhorse
09-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Well written piece. R1

tex_male
09-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Even though this game is still a week away.

BIG RED IS DEAD

DaHop72
09-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by tex_male

BIG RED IS DEAD :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:devil: :devil:

sweetwater07
09-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
What are you on? Can I have some?

The winner will only be the winner plain and simple. But I have a strong feeling that neither one of these teams will see the top 10.

agreed

wordonthastreet
09-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Any time you put two tradition-rich programs up against each other this early in the season, the winner is usually the one that executes the best on special teams and wins the turnover ratio. This is the type of matchup that people like to see early in the year.

mrmcd
09-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Green 48
Dead Red 14

DukeNukem
09-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Monahans 20
Sweetwater 14

Mustangpride09
09-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Sweetwater 28 Monahans 7

DukeNukem
09-06-2008, 12:53 PM
ttt

Sweetwater Red
09-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey Monahans...

Did ya'll know that the Loboes are 9-14 against Sweetwater
all-time?:D

Btw if we win next week it will be because we out played you
in every facet of the game.:thumbsup:

On the other hand, if ya'll win it will be because ya'll had an
extra week to prepare for us.:taunt:

But seriously, if we play a first half against ya'll like we did
against Seminole, this game might be over by halftime and
I will have a long drive home.:(

Snyder_TigerFan
09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Monahans.

:)

tex_male
09-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Loboes

tex_male
09-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Did I say already that Big Red Is Dead

Trashman
09-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Monahans by 7.

STANG RED
09-07-2008, 01:24 PM

Yes you have on several occasions. But it has never had the same ring as "No Mo Loboe". Which was our chant all through the 80s & 90s, as we just kept spanking that Loboe butt time and time again.:D
Personally I think that butt spanking pattern will just continue right on, but it should be a good game non the less. I do think the Loboe's home feild advantage will at least keep it close.
Mustangs by 7.:p

Snydertigersrul
09-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes you have on several occasions. But it has never had the same ring as "No Mo Loboe". Which was our chant all through the 80s & 90s, as we just kept spanking that Loboe butt time and time again.:D
Personally I think that butt spanking pattern will just continue right on, but it should be a good game non the less. I do think the Loboe's home feild advantage will at least keep it close.
Mustangs by 7.:p

If Sweetwater can generate some offense themselves, they should win. They can't rely on the defense to carry them for the entire season and win.

:rolleyes:

STANG RED
09-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
If Sweetwater can generate some offense themselves, they should win. They can't rely on the defense to carry them for the entire season and win.

:rolleyes:

I know we dont often agree, but you are spot on with this assesment. But the offense did appear to start showing some sparks of life the other night. Still got a long way to go yet though.

tex_male
09-08-2008, 12:36 PM
>> Returning lettermen: 23.
>> Returning starters: 5 offense, 8 defense.
>> Key returners: DE Ryan Layman; DE Trevor Owens; DB Aaron Armendariz; WR Sean Bratton; RB Stephen Neel; OL Kevin Coldewey; QB Quincy Titus.
>> Key newcomers: Rex Rose; Michael Samples, Austin Grigny, Stetson Standish; Xavier Ramon; Ty Horton; Calvin Franks.

R1Editor
09-09-2008, 08:28 AM
The Mustangs travel to Monahans to take on the Loboes. Who wins and why??

R1Editor
09-09-2008, 09:07 AM
I think that this could be an interesting matchup. Monahans comes in with a huge offensive line that will probably try and run it down the Mustangs throat. Do the Mustangs have enough size to stop the running game and do they have the speed they had in the above game to offset the size?

Could the Loboes be in for a suprise with the possibiliity of the Mustangs going from a grinding ground attack to the possibility of airing in out with a southpaw who proved last year that he can do that if given the chance?

Bystanders wonder about these questions.

tex_male
09-09-2008, 09:23 AM
can we get a merge?

tex_male
09-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Monahans doesn't only have a run game, the Qb can trhow a good ball. and have a Rec. with good hands.

garciap77
09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Green 48
Dead Red 14

mrmcd
Unregistered

Member #:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DaHop72
09-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by
Sweetwater Since I'm from there and they are in our district:

Go Mustangs!! :devil:

Sweetwater Red
09-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
mrmcd
Unregistered

Member #:

What happened there?:confused:

Phantom Stang
09-09-2008, 12:55 PM
What happened there?:confused:
Must've been serious.
It's seldom someone gets executed and cremated at the same time!!:eek:

Old Tiger
09-09-2008, 01:39 PM
monohans

RedWhiteBlue
09-09-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm going with the Stangs on this one.

DukeNukem
09-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Can't wait for this Friday. I am definitely going to catch this game. 2 old school rivals that like to play smash mouth football. May not have the glam and scoring of 2 pass-happy spread teams but there will definitely be some major collisions in this one.

GetRDoneStangs
09-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm gonna miss this one :( :( , I am staying back to work at the Jaycees All Ranch Rodeo. I really liked going to Monahans because the home folks always treated us very well and both teams had lots of respect for each other.

I am going to have to be a homer and go with the Mustangs!

the_truth
09-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Monahans 34
Sweetwater 21

waterboy
09-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Give me Sweetwater by 9 points, Alex.:D

Snydertigersrul
09-11-2008, 09:13 PM
I SAY MONAHANS BY 28

Stangs325
09-11-2008, 09:51 PM
I SAY MONAHANS BY 28

haha gota love ones like that

DukeNukem
09-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Heard sub-varsity scores were as follows but don't quote me on them exactly as I was told they were this or fairly close to the following;

Monahans JV 46 Sweetwater 6
Monahans 9th 35 Sweetwater 8
Monahans 8th A 0 Sweetwater 12
Monahans 7th A 30 Sweetwater 0

In the JV game they ran the clock the entire second half and was told the 9th graders completely pulled off and played the second teams in the 4th.

I can't believe a program like the mighty mustangs ran the clock the whole second half.
:stirpot:

wtfootball
09-12-2008, 07:41 AM
It is a sign of what to expect tonight.
Monahans is for real this year.
I have watched both play and there is no comparison in talent.
Monahans has too many weapons on both sides of the ball.

Green 41
Red 14

tex_male
09-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by DukeNukem
Heard sub-varsity scores were as follows but don't quote me on them exactly as I was told they were this or fairly close to the following;

Monahans JV 46 Sweetwater 6
Monahans 9th 35 Sweetwater 8
Monahans 8th A 0 Sweetwater 12
Monahans 7th A 30 Sweetwater 0

In the JV game they ran the clock the entire second half and was told the 9th graders completely pulled off and played the second teams in the 4th.

I can't believe a program like the mighty mustangs ran the clock the whole second half.
:stirpot:

JV 46-0
Fish 35-8
8th white 6-20
8th green 0-6
7th white 0-8
7th green 30-0

Sweetwater Red
09-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Our JV hasn't scored a single point in two games.:(

Did I mention we have four QBs on varsity. One senior and
three juniors.:doh:

I can't figure it out either.:confused:

tex_male
09-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Monahans JV has 3 guys that some of us fans expected to be moved up.

Sweetwater Red
09-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Monahans JV has 3 guys that some of us fans expected to be moved up.

Would they get significant playing time on varsity. I know one
of the junior QBs on varsity hasn't got hardly any the past two seasons
here at Sweetwater.:(

wtfootball
09-12-2008, 04:07 PM
The answer will be given tonight by oh about 8:30 p.m.
The game will be out of reach by then.
Much respect for the Sweetwater program but not this time, not this year.
Green in a blowout.

garciap77
09-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by wtfootball
Green in a blowout.

STANG RED
09-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Green in a blowout.

One great big bowl of crow being served up to you sir. Watch out for the bones and feathers though.

And for all you other 20 or so non believers, I expect yall to come get your serving of crow as well.:p

tex_male
09-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Good first half for Sweetwater. All Monahans second half holding Sweetwater to only 18 yards. Monahans was not in it the first half. I think the Bye week kills us. Thanks for the show

STANG RED
09-12-2008, 10:35 PM
I SAY MONAHANS BY 28

Chin up drools. You only missed it by 31. You can only get better from here............Well on second thought,,,,,,,,,,,probably not.

wtfootball
09-12-2008, 10:50 PM
The buy week killed Monahans. They started playing midway through the 3rd. You can never do that against a Sweetwater team. If they played 5 more times, I think green would win them all just because they have more talent. They had no answer in the second half and many of the Red would probably tell you that. Game Over. Sweetwater won. They are a class football program and congrats to them. Green lost a non district game that in December will not seem nearly as big of a deal as it does now. This loss may be the best thing that could have happened. I'll eat feathers and all that childish stuff but still put my cards on Monahans in the post season. They must first win district and then stack up the gold footballs. Once again, congratulations to Sweetwater. Monahans fans, as we all know, the best is yet to come. Let's go have some fun next Friday.

its_n_D_water
09-12-2008, 11:23 PM
THe bye week...huh...hahaha

garciap77
09-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
Close game, but Sweetwater wins by 3!

One great big bowl of crow being served up to you sir. Watch out for the bones and feathers though.

And for all you other 20 or so non believers, I expect yall to come get your serving of crow as well.:p

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Come and get it!:D

Stang's kitchen is open for Business!:D

wtfootball
09-13-2008, 12:56 AM
Now that you have played and beaten both, who wins the district, Monahans or Seminole........

STANG RED
09-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Now that you have played and beaten both, who wins the district, Monahans or Seminole........

Seminole is no pushover, but I'd bet on Monahans. Home field advantage may be the difference. Where will this game be played? This ought to be a great game.

Stownhorse
09-13-2008, 01:26 AM
Our JV hasn't scored a single point in two games.:(

Did I mention we have four QBs on varsity. One senior and
three juniors.:doh:

I can't figure it out either.:confused:

What are their last names and who are their dads?.....exactly

wtfootball
09-13-2008, 01:47 AM
October 10 in Monahans
First district game for both, should determine who wins district early if no suprises.

wtfootball
09-13-2008, 01:47 AM
I agree, Seminole is 0-3 but a good team, hard to figure.
I have seen teams win none in non district only to make a deep playoff run, time will tell.

Mustangpride09
09-13-2008, 01:56 AM
The buy week killed Monahans. They started playing midway through the 3rd. You can never do that against a Sweetwater team. If they played 5 more times, I think green would win them all just because they have more talent. They had no answer in the second half and many of the Red would probably tell you that. Game Over. Sweetwater won. They are a class football program and congrats to them. Green lost a non district game that in December will not seem nearly as big of a deal as it does now. This loss may be the best thing that could have happened. I'll eat feathers and all that childish stuff but still put my cards on Monahans in the post season. They must first win district and then stack up the gold footballs. Once again, congratulations to Sweetwater. Monahans fans, as we all know, the best is yet to come. Let's go have some fun next Friday.

Being a little bit of a sore loser, no?

Mustangpride09
09-13-2008, 02:01 AM

BIG RED IS DEAD

Dead? Really?

Sweetwater Red
09-13-2008, 11:19 AM

I've watched both games. I'll be honest and have to say the
Loboes. I hate to use the "score makes it look closer than it
was" routine..but...we missed an extra point and then went for
two on another score that failed. Otherwise, Sweetwater
would have been leading 31-14 when Seminole scored and
converted the two point try with 30 seconds left in the game.

Is ya'lls kicker more accurate than he was lastnight or was that
just a bad game for him?

Tres Lobos
09-13-2008, 11:36 AM
He had a bad game last night. He usually is consistent kicker but last night I don't know what was wrong with him, he just wasn't keeping his head down. On that last field goal he got a hold of it fine but he didn't get it to the left at all, he kicked it straight on. But it was a great game by both teams. I wouldn't mind seeing these two teams meet up again in the playoffs. Goodluck to Sweetwater for the rest of the season.

ASUFrisbeeStud
09-13-2008, 11:47 AM

What a maroon.

Sweetwater Red
09-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Tres Lobos
He had a bad game last night. He usually is consistent kicker but last night I don't know what was wrong with him, he just wasn't keeping his head down. On that last field goal he got a hold of it fine but he didn't get it to the left at all, he kicked it straight on. But it was a great game by both teams. I wouldn't mind seeing these two teams meet up again in the playoffs. Goodluck to Sweetwater for the rest of the season.

Same to you...

I'll be honest I was just hoping we could keep it close. One
web site had ya'll picked by 21 points and with everything I've
heard about Monahans through the web and media I figured
we would be in trouble early.

If both teams make it that far we may very well meet in the
second or third round for the rematch.

wtfootball
09-13-2008, 12:15 PM
TEAM STATISTICS

Sweetwater Monahans

First Downs 10 7

Total Yards 296 314

Rushes-Yards 29-291 26-155

Passing Yards 5 159

Passing 1-4-5 8-18-2

Fumbles-Lost 3-3 1-0

Punts-Avg 2-42.0 3-42.7

Penalties-Yards 4-13 4-22

Sweetwater Red
09-13-2008, 12:20 PM
TEAM STATISTICS

Sweetwater Monahans

First Downs 10 7

Total Yards 296 314

Rushes-Yards 29-291 26-155

Passing Yards 5 159

Passing 1-4-5 8-18-2

Fumbles-Lost 3-3 1-0

Punts-Avg 2-42.0 3-42.7

Penalties-Yards 4-13 4-22

I don't think those stats are accurate. I know we didn't throw
five interceptions and also we both had alot more penalty yards.:thinking:

Tres Lobos
09-13-2008, 12:25 PM
ya I don't think those are right either, because i'm not sure if we had 159 passing yards

Sweetwater Red
09-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Tres Lobos
ya I don't think those are right either, because i'm not sure if we had 159 passing yards

Ya'll had two big plays that I remember. The one where the WR
layed out and caught that pass down the middle and the screen
that went for like 40 yards. If anything I figured it would've been
more. BTW ya'lls QB can throw.

tex_male
09-13-2008, 12:37 PM
nm

tex_male
09-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
What a maroon.

It's only a chant that was done in 80's

but good response :clap:

SNYDER325TIGERS
09-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Monahans must have had a bad game or somthing, or there not as good as people are saying they are.:thinking:

Sweetwater Red
09-13-2008, 12:47 PM
It's only a chant that was done in 80's

but good response :clap:

The two I remember from the 80's were No Mo .... and
the song Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Good Bye. :confused:

What's the story behind Maroon?

tex_male
09-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
Monahans must have had a bad game or somthing, or there not as good as people are saying they are.:thinking:

Really bad first half. Sweetwater made big plays. Like that 94 yard run.

tex_male
09-13-2008, 12:53 PM
The two I remember from the 80's were No Mo .... and
the song Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Good Bye. :confused:

What's the story behind Maroon?

LOL Never heard the Maroon chat.

STANG RED
09-13-2008, 12:54 PM

Or maybe Sweetwater is better than most have thought. I've said all along we had a chance to be a lot better than people were giving us credit for. We had tons of returners from a pretty decent but very young team last year.

Stangs325
09-13-2008, 02:09 PM

i heard snyders not as good as people are saying

wtfootball
09-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Sorry for the stats, they were cut and pasted from the Odessa American but may not be correct, I don't think Sweetwater threw 5int either. Not being a sore loser but Monahans did have a bad game, can use lots of excuses, buy week, etc. but just got beat. That being said Sweetwater is a good team also. But the worst thing that could happen to them is to get the swollen head syndrome, especially in the tough district they are in. I would love to see both lace it up in the playoffs like Monahans and Snyder have for the past three years. Makes for a good rivalry.

DU_stud04
09-13-2008, 05:11 PM
the worst thing that could happen to them is to get the swollen head syndrome, if they develop that, the should get checked out at the clinic. theyve played medicore teams at best, lots and lots of mistakes. seems like west texas(monahans, snyder, sweetwater, etc.....) need to wake up and start playing some football.

wtfootball
09-13-2008, 05:48 PM
agreed