PDA

View Full Version : Cedric Benson

solocam
09-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Benson workd out for the Texans

BwdLions
09-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm a huge UT fan and I rooted for CB when he played there. However, I wish he'd just go away now and stay out of the spotlight.

Looking4number8
09-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I wish he would get his head straight and play some football. Ticks me off when guys have the God given talent and all the breaks in the world and elect to throw them away on stupid stuff like he has.

Maroon87
09-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by solocam
Benson workd out for the Texans

I live near Lake Conroe. Should I be worried?:thinking:

popcorn screen
09-09-2008, 01:18 PM
He could be a steal for a team. however, he needs to want it. He appeared to be content in Chicago with not doing much after the fat contract he got as a rook. Loads of talent, but he looked a step or two slow in Chicago.

lostaussie
09-09-2008, 02:00 PM
maybe he could go to the Titans and play with that other whacked out guy from Texas:D

Aesculus gilmus
09-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Cedric Benson was WAY overrated coming out of high school.

He had some flashes of brilliance at UT, but always seemed to me to lack breakaway speed. So I really didn't understand why he was one of the top draft picks to begin with.

Old Tiger
09-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus

He had some flashes of brilliance at UT, but always seemed to me to lack breakaway speed. So I really didn't understand why he was one of the top draft picks to begin with. To say he was overrated coming out of HS is not very wise.

HS:
8,423 rushing yards in his career (the most in Texas 5A history and the fourth most in Texas high school football history)

College:
5,540 rushing yards to rank sixth all time in NCAA Division I-A

NFL:
Bust

popcorn screen
09-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Agree with Go Blue. Also, someone should give him a shot. he might pay dividends down the road.

LH Panther Mom
09-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by popcorn screen
Agree with Go Blue. Also, someone should give him a shot. he might pay dividends down the road.
Someone giving him "shots" has caused him some problems in Austin and the surrounding area. :devil: ;)

Necks_Fan
09-09-2008, 03:15 PM
I think the Cowboys should get him. :devil: :devil: :devil: :eek:

All out CAT
09-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I think the Cowboys should get him. :devil: :devil: :devil: :eek:

Yep, the "half-way house" will take him and use the hell out of him.

Txbroadcaster
09-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by All out CAT
Yep, the "half-way house" will take him and use the hell out of him.

Yep Dallas is a half way house because all of two players on the roster have been suspended for law problems...well heck what does that make Jacksonville and Cincy then?

Necks_Fan
09-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Yep Dallas is a half way house because all of two players on the roster have been suspended for law problems...well heck what does that make Jacksonville and Cincy then? Don't forget Haynesworth in Tennessee. He likes to stomp on guys' heads.

I don't know what that makes them though. Cathoilc priests?

waterboy
09-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Someone giving him "shots" has caused him some problems in Austin and the surrounding area. :devil: ;)
:spitlol: :spitlol: :spitlol: :fnypost: Good one, Mom!:D

jambo67
09-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Don't forget Ricky Williams has been signed too. With all the money they make marijauna growers are doubling their efforts.

"every battle is won before it is ever fought." SUN TZU
PREPARE TODAY FOR FRIDAY

Aesculus gilmus
09-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Stats don't impress me. Consider the melanin-challenged defenses he was up against in high school out there in the wild West. He appeared to be fast and shifty until he crossed I-35, which was hardly ever in his schoolboy days.

You give his somewhat impressive career yardage at UT, but he carried the ball about 5,000 times also. Yards-per-carry wasn't that good. I'm a Texas alum. I always WANTED to buy into the "Cedric Benson is a football god" storyline, but I never was quite able to.

Gilmer always cites their stats also as if everyone is supposed to stand back in awe, but the fact is we have played a LOT of powderpuffs over the years.

I'll admit, though, that this year's schedule is a little more challenging than the usual fare for the Buckeyes, especially Kilgore on the road on Sept. 19.

kepdawg
09-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Stats don't impress me. Consider the melanin-challenged defenses he was up against in high school out there in the wild West. He appeared to be fast and shifty until he crossed I-35, which was hardly ever in his schoolboy days.

You give his somewhat impressive career yardage at UT, but he carried the ball about 5,000 times also. Yards-per-carry wasn't that good. I'm a Texas alum. I always WANTED to buy into the "Cedric Benson is a football god" storyline, but I never was quite able to.

Gilmer always cites their stats also as if everyone is supposed to stand back in awe, but the fact is we have played a LOT of powderpuffs over the years.

I'll admit, though, that this year's schedule is a little more challenging than the usual fare for the Buckeyes, especially Kilgore on the road on Sept. 19.

:eek:

Txbroadcaster
09-09-2008, 04:48 PM

What exactly is an impressive yards per carry for you?

his ypc

he had a slip in his soph year..but other than that pretty nice

I dont think anyone ever called him a speed back, his strength was breaking tackles and running between the tackles

Necks_Fan
09-09-2008, 04:49 PM
What exactly is an impressive yards per carry for you?

his ypc

he had a slip in his soph year..but other than that pretty nice

I dont think anyone ever called him a speed back, his strength was breaking tackles and running between the tackles 4.2 still isn't bad.

I would have to agree though.

Looking4number8
09-09-2008, 04:56 PM
And in High School I think he carried Midland to 2 5A state titiles.. They have been nothing special since he graduated..

But his pro career has been pretty shameful. Hope he gets on and does the Texans well!

kepdawg
09-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by lookingfornumbe
And in High School I think he carried Midland to 2 5A state titiles.. They have been nothing special since he graduated..

But his pro career has been pretty shameful. Hope he gets on and does the Texans well!

3 state titles

Looking4number8
09-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
3 state titles

My bad.. and was it Midland High or Midland Lee? My old brain cant remember that either

kepdawg
09-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by lookingfornumbe
My bad.. and was it Midland High or Midland Lee? My old brain cant remember that either

Lee

ronwx5x
09-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Yep Dallas is a half way house because all of two players on the roster have been suspended for law problems...well heck what does that make Jacksonville and Cincy then?

Yes, but Jacksonville and Cincy are not in Texas and have not won multiple Super Bowls!:inlove:

BTownVBall3
09-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Look at the offense they had cedric playing for in chicago..
You had ZERO passing attack. Hmm kind of makes you figure that teams focused more than the majority of their attention on the run game. Put him on a team with a balanced attack and see what he can do. Don't call his nfl career a bust when he had rex grossman as his qb.

And whoever said that his yards per carry in college wasn't impressive...You should just not try to state statistical information again.

Aesculus gilmus
09-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Here is an impressive yards-per-carry season:

http://www.theheismanwinners.com/RickyWilliams.html
Ricky Williams 1998 Heisman Season Stats

Carries: 391
Yards: 2397
Yards Per Carry: 5.9

Williams broke long runs at UT on a regular basis (thus his way higher average), something Benson could hardly ever do.

And he was just as tough and bruising a runner between the tackles, if not moreso.

That's why he has a Heisman and Cedric doesn't.

Txbroadcaster
09-09-2008, 06:16 PM

Williams broke long runs at UT on a regular basis (thus his way higher average), something Benson could hardly ever do.

And he was just as tough and bruising a runner between the tackles, if not moreso.

Just asking..but what does that have to do with you saying Benson was overrated?

Mcguirk
09-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by BTownVBall3
Look at the offense they had cedric playing for in chicago..
You had ZERO passing attack. Hmm kind of makes you figure that teams focused more than the majority of their attention on the run game. Put him on a team with a balanced attack and see what he can do. Don't call his nfl career a bust when he had rex grossman as his qb.

And whoever said that his yards per carry in college wasn't impressive...You should just not try to state statistical information again.

Not to mention the offensive line in front of him at Chicago. And I don't now anything about him as a person (other than newspaper stories) but I think the other Bear players had his number before he ever showed up in camp. I know the CB message boards were full of stories of him getting hammered (hit really hard, even though it sounds like he got hammered in other ways too) by the defense, even in light scrimages. I just hope he gets his life together and uses his GOD given talents wisely.

PPHSfan
09-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I don't have anything against pot-heads. It's the crack-heads that I don't understand.:p

Gators17
09-09-2008, 08:42 PM

His BSPD is even high than his YPC.
BSPD=Blunts Smoked Per Day

BSPD=12
YPC=5.9
:p

CelinaTurf
09-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by BwdLions
I'm a huge UT fan and I rooted for CB when he played there. However, I wish he'd just go away now and stay out of the spotlight.

I can't think of a team I hate more than ut, but I have to agree about benson going away forever (He and daddy's boy simms)... He never did pan out with the Bears. Too bad, but I'm not crying.

However, I always did love #10. He was incredible to watch.

CelinaTurf
09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
4.2 still isn't bad.

4.2 isn't good if you continually play against good teams, but benson played baylor, and kansas, and LA tech, etc. My teenager could have broken some long runs against some of those teams with the OL breaking holes like they did.

I do not know the stats against the ranked teams... Does anyone know that?

CelinaTurf
09-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Gators17
His BSPD is even high than his YPC.
BSPD=Blunts Smoked Per Day

BSPD=12
YPC=5.9
:p

Now THAT is maybe the funniest thing I've heard said on any of these boards.:clap: :clap: :clap:

WOS1
09-10-2008, 04:42 AM
Consider the melanin-challenged defenses he was up against in high school

:eek: :eek: WOW :eek: :eek:

Aesculus gilmus
09-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Just asking..but what does that have to do with you saying Benson was overrated?

It was in answer to your question as to how many yards per carry WOULD impress me, IIRC.

DukeNukem
09-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Benson has definitely been a bust as far as his NFL career goes. His college career was good, not great but better than most.

However, his high school career can only be matched by a few like Ken Hall. He won 3 class 5A state titles and scored 16 touchdowns total in state championship games alone. All of which were played against teams on or east of I-35. There are some all-state backs that don't have that many in a season.

mrescape43
09-10-2008, 01:37 PM

He had some flashes of brilliance at UT, but always seemed to me to lack breakaway speed. So I really didn't understand why he was one of the top draft picks to begin with.

Cedric Benson scored 16 touchdowns in High School State Championships alone. Midland Lee won state 3 years in a row and Cedric scored at least 5 touchdowns in each of those games.

mrescape43
09-10-2008, 01:43 PM

Cedric Benson scored 15 touchdowns in High School State Championships alone. Midland Lee won state 3 years in a row and Cedric scored 5 touchdowns in each of those games.