PDA

View Full Version : LH question

Necks_Fan
09-07-2008, 10:07 PM
How do you guys prepare your pass D during practice if you guys never pass the ball during games.

One would think, with your lack of passing, that you couldn't really prepare your pass D that well, but I guess ya'll have a system and it works well.

I just wonder how a really good passing team would fare against LH. It would seem with so few passing plays in the games that you guys would have a really tough time simulating and preparing your defense for a pass happy town. Maybe I'm over analyzing... somebody drop some knowledge.

NastySlot
09-07-2008, 10:14 PM
not from LH...but from experience....teams usually don't prepare to stop their own offense......so why would it matter.......after scouting and inputing scouted data it's not hard to make play cards of your opponents favorite formations, run plays and pass plays..........we did it in my day that way and now I coach we do it that way. All my associations with defensive practices have always had segments devoted to the run (run hull) and the pass (pass hull) stopping inside and outside plays.....(inside and outside hull). Maybe this helps. IDK

Necks_Fan
09-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
not from LH...but from experience....teams usually don't prepare to stop their own offense......so why would it matter.......after scouting and inputing scouted data it's not hard to make play cards of your opponents favorite formations, run plays and pass plays..........we did it in my day that way and now I coach we do it that way. All my associations with defensive practices have always had segments devoted to the run (run hull) and the pass (pass hull) stopping inside and outside plays.....(inside and outside hull). Maybe this helps. IDK I'm wondering how LH would prepare for a pass dominated offense with their lack of passing in games. It makes me think that their pass D would be deprived of legit practice..... but they continually get it done.

NastySlot
09-07-2008, 10:20 PM
just guessing here....but i think liberty hill has kids that spend a majority of time on one side of the ball......im sure they get plenty of work during individual d (positions) and then the hull segments and then going against scout offense.

NastySlot
09-07-2008, 10:34 PM
oh yeah then there is the obvious just took me a while..........long time consuming drives............ball control.

Daddy D 11
09-07-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm confused with what you're asking:thinking:

We prepare for and simulate what our opponents run, not what we run.

Emerson1
09-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I'm wondering how LH would prepare for a pass dominated offense with their lack of passing in games. It makes me think that their pass D would be deprived of legit practice..... but they continually get it done.
The 1st team defense would practice against a scout team who is running plays similar to the other teams offense.

It's not first team O vs first team D the entire practice.

crabman
09-07-2008, 10:43 PM
The question is "How can Liberty Hill's scout team simulate a spread offense like China Spring if all that scout team is comprised of is the second string offense that spends its entire life perfecting the Slot T ?" I get the point. How good can they really simulate the spread if they are a predominantly running team?

You are right though. They do a damn good job.

Daddy D 11
09-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
The 1st team defense would practice against a scout team who is running plays similar to the other teams offense.

It's not first team O vs first team D the entire practice.

Hit the nail on the head. And just because we run all the time doesnt mean we dont have kids that can throw the football:devil:
We just choose to beat you in a more methodical way:D

OldBison75
09-07-2008, 10:59 PM
As a fan of a spread team with a very good passing offense that LH whipped last year- I can answer this question.

LH is about the best coached team I have seen in 40 years of HS Football. The athletes are very well prepared and what they don't possess in pure skill, they make up in desire and faith in the system that they play. They put pressure on the passer and might sometimes give up a big play but that dosen't change how they play. Next series they come right back after the quarterback and depend on the game plan to stop the other team. Good coaching and belief that you can beat anybody mixed with quality (not necessarily super) athletes that are smart and disciplined has taken LH a long way. DONT LOOK FOR THAT TO CHANGE SOON.

Rabid Cougar
09-08-2008, 07:31 AM
The same way China Spring prepares for running teams like LaVega and Liberty Hill, through scouting the opponents formations and tendencies and then having the scout team simulate the opponent offense. The most difficult portion of that is to simulate the speed or ability of the opponent. That is true for either running or passing. It is your defensive coordinator and his staff jobs to prepare the defense. The O-coordinator and the offensive staff generally have nothing to do with the Defense.

garciap77
09-08-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
The same way China Spring prepares for running teams like LaVega and Liberty Hill, through scouting the opponents formations and tendencies and then having the scout team simulate the opponent offense. The most difficult portion of that is to simulate the speed or ability of the opponent. That is true for either running or passing. It is your defensive coordinator and his staff jobs to prepare the defense. The O-coordinator and the offensive staff generally have nothing to do with the Defense.

I'm sure the game vs Wylie will help them prepare for other spread teams. They did an excellent job stopping our Offense.

DaHop72
09-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
I'm sure the game vs Wylie will help them prepare for other spread teams. They did an excellent job stopping our Offense. I think the Wylie game showed Liberty Hill some areas they do need to work on. I thought when Coach Sandifer went to the spread LH struggled the second half to make the adjustments on the fly to stop the pass and had moments of confusion in the secondary.

Daddy D 11
09-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I think the Wylie game showed Liberty Hill some areas they do need to work on. I thought when Coach Sandifer went to the spread LH struggled the second half to make the adjustments on the fly to stop the pass and had moments of confusion in the secondary.

I'll second that. And it was really nice to finally meet you dahop!

wimbo_pro
09-08-2008, 08:54 AM
In our day, the way we would beat LH wasn't necesarrily the pass...it was the run that was set up by the pass. I dont recall burning them for TD's in the air and eating them up with passing yards...I remember keeping their D backfield at home, freezing their linebackers, getting decent, short pass completions, then running the ball for the scores.

I dont have the stats, but thats how I remember it. Of course, LH is much better on D nowadays, as witnessed by their 2 rings.

LH Panther Mom
09-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
In our day, the way we would beat LH wasn't necesarrily the pass...it was the run that was set up by the pass. I dont recall burning them for TD's in the air and eating them up with passing yards...I remember keeping their D backfield at home, freezing their linebackers, getting decent, short pass completions, then running the ball for the scores.

I dont have the stats, but thats how I remember it. Of course, LH is much better on D nowadays, as witnessed by their 2 rings.
Keep up, wimpy. :p

michaelp23
09-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
They did an excellent job stopping our Offense.

True, in the first half. Hugh saw something and made adjustments in the second half. I hope we meet LH again in December. It would be a very interesting game!:clap:

wimbo_pro
09-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Keep up, wimpy. :p

Hey!!??!!! I'm trying!! Was that a thread hijack?? Sorry!

Texasfootball2
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by michaelp23
True, in the first half. Hugh saw something and made adjustments in the second half. I hope we meet LH again in December. It would be a very interesting game!:clap: There is almost a zero of chance of this game happening in December, Here's Why.

LH is the fourth largest school in a seven team district

Burnet 975
Fredericksburg 928
Fisher Canyon Lake 902
Liberty Hill 704

With Llano, Wimberely, and Ingram

For LH and Wylie to play in December
#1 Wylie has to make the playoffs in a very tough district
#2 All three schools - Burnet, Fredericksburg, and Fisher Canyon Lake would have to miss the playoffs for LH to be D1.

Sorry, but as bad as I would like to see these two play again, I wouldn't bet your last dollar. You might want to eat lunch with it.

wimbo_pro
09-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Most likely (in that scenerio) would be Llano and Wimberley to make the play offs (along with LH) at the expense of Burnet and Fredericksberg....it's very possible, but I am not sure its probable.

DaHop72
09-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
I'll second that. And it was really nice to finally meet you dahop! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Back at you.

Daddy D 11
09-08-2008, 10:13 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Back at you.

Is the Snyder Vs Sweetwater in Sweetwater? If so then I might have you save a seat for me:)

DaHop72
09-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Is the Snyder Vs Sweetwater in Sweetwater? If so then I might have you save a seat for me:) No, it's in Snyder this year.

Daddy D 11
09-08-2008, 10:19 AM
No, it's in Snyder this year.
Shucks, i might have to make the treck anyways. I'd like to see Snyders new turf. And of course a great game.

solocam
09-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I think Liberty Hill and Wimberly make the playoffs,third spot is a tossup between Fredricksburg,Burnet
Just my two cents worth

Daddy D 11
09-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by solocam
I think Liberty Hill and Wimberly make the playoffs,third spot is a tossup between Fredricksburg,Burnet
Just my two cents worth

My hypothesis: Fredricksburg gets second and its a fight between Burnet and Wimberley for 3rd.

Then again, i think i'm in dead last in the weekly pick em's, so what do i know:confused:

Thefan1
09-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
There is almost a zero of chance of this game happening in December, Here's Why.

LH is the fourth largest school in a seven team district

Burnet 975
Fredericksburg 928
Fisher Canyon Lake 902
Liberty Hill 704

With Llano, Wimberely, and Ingram

For LH and Wylie to play in December
#1 Wylie has to make the playoffs in a very tough district
#2 All three schools - Burnet, Fredericksburg, and Fisher Canyon Lake would have to miss the playoffs for LH to be D1.

Sorry, but as bad as I would like to see these two play again, I wouldn't bet your last dollar. You might want to eat lunch with it.

Playoffs are a while away but it think that LLano and wimberley will be the other two teams beside Lh for playoffs... but they are a ways away.:D

jimmyceatworld
09-08-2008, 10:43 AM
First off I would like to say Liberty Hill has an all around outstanding team but the "weakest" part to me last year was the secondary. In the two LH games that I went to, Navasota and Gilmer, the only time the opponent had any success was in the air. The rush defense was a brick wall, but against the pass they didn't look as dominating. I don't know how much has changed since last year or how the team has looked in its first two games this year, but it seems to me the best chance you have against them is by airing it out.

wimbo_pro
09-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Agreed. Airing it out opens the running game. (sorry LHPM, I couldnt resist).

Hill Man
09-08-2008, 01:48 PM
My hypothesis: Fredricksburg gets second and its a fight between Burnet and Wimberley for 3rd.

Then again, i think i'm in dead last in the weekly pick em's, so what do i know:confused:

D - I don't see Fred and Burnet having the horses this season..
the dawgs are 0-2 already and billies just lost to Uvalde late.
Those two may fight for the 3rd spot with Llano.. Llano has been working the magic of the slot-T the last four years and getting better.. I see them getting the better of Burnet and Fred

I see LH, Wimperly and Llano in the finish.. That being the case, Wylie may get thier second chance..

You know, be careful what you ask for, you just might get it:devil:

Old Tiger
09-08-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm wondering how LH would prepare for a pass dominated offense with their lack of passing in games. It makes me think that their pass D would be deprived of legit practice..... but they continually get it done. probably the same way they prepared last year for Gilmer:rolleyes:

wimbo_pro
09-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Hill Man

I see LH, Wimperly and Llano in the finish.. That being the case, Wylie may get thier second chance..

i see you ACCIDENTLY mispelled the name of our town. I just thought I would point that out.:foul:

Dont make me come over there.

Texasfootball2
09-08-2008, 02:04 PM
D - I don't see Fred and Burnet having the horses this season..
the dawgs are 0-2 already and billies just lost to Uvalde late.
Those two may fight for the 3rd spot with Llano.. Llano has been working the magic of the slot-T the last four years and getting better.. I see them getting the better of Burnet and Fred

You know, be careful what you ask for, you just might get it:devil:
Man, your are scratching me where I itch Hill Man. Sad thing is it would have to be the Region finals but that would be Okay with me. We are obviously jumping the gun here because so much football to be played, but in a "dream world":D On Dec 5th or 6th these two could possibly go at it again in Floyd Casey stadium:) :cheerl: :clap:

Hill Man
09-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
i see you ACCIDENTLY mispelled the name of our town. I just thought I would point that out.:foul:

Dont make me come over there.

According the LH dictionary:nerd: Wimperly is the correct spelling:hand:

wimbo_pro
09-08-2008, 02:23 PM
According the LH dictionary:nerd: Wimperly is the correct spelling:hand:

...and they say LH isnt cocky...

I am now looking for words that rhyme with Liberty Hill...its not looking good.

Hill Man
09-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Man, your are scratching me where I itch Hill Man. Sad thing is it would have to be the Region finals but that would be Okay with me. We are obviously jumping the gun here because so much football to be played, but in a "dream world":D On Dec 5th or 6th these two could possibly go at it again in Floyd Casey stadium:) :cheerl: :clap:

Floyd Casey?... well I don't know about Floyd Casey.. that stadium can be very scary......
Does any of my LH compatriots want to enlighten Texasfootball2 about Floyd Casey? I don't want to hurt feelings:devil:

Old Tiger
09-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Floyd Casey?... well I don't know about Floyd Casey.. that stadium can be very scary......
Does any of my LH compatriots want to enlighten Texasfootball2 about Floyd Casey? I don't want to hurt feelings:devil: LH beat Celina at Floyd Casey 22-19 and destroyed Gilmer last season at Floyd Casey :(

They are 2-0 in games at Floyd Casey dum dum dum!!!

Hill Man
09-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
LH beat Celina at Floyd Casey 22-19 and destroyed Gilmer last season at Floyd Casey :(

They are 2-0 in games at Floyd Casey dum dum dum!!!
Championship games that is:clap:

Old Tiger
09-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Championship games that is:clap: shhh your going to strike to much fear into their hearts

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
probably the same way they prepared last year for Gilmer:rolleyes:

Gilmer last year was not really Gilmer of old..young QB lack of depth in WR core and the huge OL and stud RB they become WAY more balanced and even at times became a run first

Texasfootball2
09-08-2008, 02:36 PM
LH beat Celina at Floyd Casey 22-19 and destroyed Gilmer last season at Floyd Casey :(

They are 2-0 in games at Floyd Casey dum dum dum!!! Well to make things more interesting, Wylie beat Cuero in '04 for the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP at Floyd Casey Stadium in its only visit to Floyd Casey.

Sounds like a potential momumental match up. I just hope both teams can stay healthy and be fortunate enough to get to that point.

Old Tiger
09-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Well to make things more interesting, Wylie beat Cuero in '04 for the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP at Floyd Casey Stadium in is only visit to Floyd Casey.

Sounds like a potential momumental match up. I just hope both teams can stay healthy and be fortunate enough to get to that point. and to make things much more interesting, cause thats what I do, Liberty Hill defeated Abilene Wylie at Abilene Wylie :nerd: :stirpot:

wimbo_pro
09-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Dont forget Wimberley beat Gainesville in the same stadium...it treats us Hill country teams very well!

Aesculus gilmus
09-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Gilmer last year was not really Gilmer of old..young QB lack of depth in WR core and the huge OL and stud RB they become WAY more balanced and even at times became a run first

Don't make any excuses for Gilmer. I don't know what you mean about the WR corps. Houston Tuminello and Lamar Harris are both now at the next level, one at OU and the other at La Tech. They had some good backups also. The LH defense stuffed the big Gilmer linemen all day long.

The excuse I heard for that day was the high wind, but I am one Gilmer orangeblood who can admit that even on an absolutely motionless, doldrums-style day, Liberty Hill STILL would have won and won easily. Our defense could not stop the Slot T. To illustrate how out of it Gilmer was with regard to this old-timey (but highly effective) scheme, our people didn't even know what to call it. They kept referring to it as the Wing T. But it didn't matter what it was called. The fact is Gilmer just couldn't stop it. And that's why you continued to see Gilmer go for it on 4th-and-the house that day.

This is twice Gilmer has lost the 3A title game at that stadium. Somehow I have a feeling the coach will hold out to play just about ANYWHERE BUT there should the Buckeyes be so fortunate as to make it back to the title game.

Mcguirk
09-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Well to make things more interesting, Wylie beat Cuero in '04 for the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP at Floyd Casey Stadium in its only visit to Floyd Casey.

Sounds like a potential momumental match up. I just hope both teams can stay healthy and be fortunate enough to get to that point.

I'm with Texasfootball2. I have fond memories of Floyd Casey Stadium. It was a great game!

8HR
09-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Back to the original point of the subject of the post, "How does LH get prepared to face spread teams?" In my opinion, it is much easier to prepare for a spread team than it is to prepare for the slot-t. Before you get fired up about this let me explain.

When you prepare for the spread think from the pass defense perspective
Receivers - The defensive coaches have all pass plays on cards for practices. LH can put some fast kids at those receiver positions to simulate the speed and routes.
Line - Pretty basic really...Pass block, base block, GT, and maybe a team runs a few other plays which are not very complicated.
Backs - Usually the quarterback and runningback. With a little experince, a good defender can recognize a play pretty quickly because most plays take time to develop.
When you prepare for the slot-t, think again from the defensive perspective.
Receivers - Okay you win...We don't have them.
Line - Here is the key...In one week, teams can not simulate the speed, quickness, and power that the LH O-line brings on every play. We can trap you in any hole with any lineman, pull our guards on the sweeps which are glorified running backs but don't key them because we will false key you and you will be going in the wrong direction. We can also bull right over you. The key is the speed that our linemen run each play with.
Backs - There are no delayed plays. The ball is snapped and we are five yards down the field by the time the defense knows where the ball is. Our backs are going all different directions and typically get tackled 70% of the time when they don't get the ball. They take a lot of pride in this. You can not reproduce the speed (I'm not saying we have the fastest running backs) and paths our backs run.

This is just my opinion and I have some pretty good experience with this.

Please provide feedback...Wylie, Giddings, Gilmer, Wimberley, I really respect your programs. Do you think this is an accurate assessment?

mac77
09-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Don't make any excuses for Gilmer. I don't know what you mean about the WR corps. Houston Tuminello and Lamar Harris are both now at the next level, one at OU and the other at La Tech. They had some good backups also. The LH defense stuffed the big Gilmer linemen all day long.

The excuse I heard for that day was the high wind, but I am one Gilmer orangeblood who can admit that even on an absolutely motionless, doldrums-style day, Liberty Hill STILL would have won and won easily. Our defense could not stop the Slot T. To illustrate how out of it Gilmer was with regard to this old-timey (but highly effective) scheme, our people didn't even know what to call it. They kept referring to it as the Wing T. But it didn't matter what it was called. The fact is Gilmer just couldn't stop it. And that's why you continued to see Gilmer go for it on 4th-and-the house that day.

This is twice Gilmer has lost the 3A title game at that stadium. Somehow I have a feeling the coach will hold out to play just about ANYWHERE BUT there should the Buckeyes be so fortunate as to make it back to the title game.

I've seen LH play in both of its title games and I really enjoyed watching that "O" work. Not taking anything away from LH, but I've always wondered why Gilmer didn't use that big OL and line up and play smash mouth with LH. That RB was easily up to the challenge to do that. They were bigger and faster than LH, but it seemed wasted in that offense. It would have been much more entertaining to watch two good running teams slug it out like two fighters in the UFC.

LH Panther Mom
09-08-2008, 10:23 PM
How do you guys prepare your pass D during practice if you guys never pass the ball during games.

Fun team offense lines up in the spread (or whatever that week's opponent runs) against first team defense.