PDA

View Full Version : Just how much does high $$$ coaching help to win championships?

slpybear the bullfan
02-23-2004, 01:29 PM
...I enjoyed the discussion of this on another thread.

Lots of factors help make a championship team. But is this the single biggest factor a school district can "buy legally" that makes a team a state contender? Common sense would say yes.

vet93
02-23-2004, 03:24 PM
I think that the coaching factor is huge. Now...it won't assure you of a championship but it is one of the first steps that has to be taken. Once the program is established then you have to wait for the right group of classes to come along that has the talent to carry out the coaching that has been established. Then you have to have a little ole-fashioned luck to escape injuries, girl friend troubles, etc...An example is Highland Park...Coach Allen is the highest paid coach in the state (or at least in the top 5). He is an excellent coach but has yet to win the championship...however with his leadership the Scots are almost always considered a contender.

PPHSfan
02-23-2004, 03:47 PM
It works especially well if the AD has his system in place all the way down to Pre-K. Some folks may not agree with me on this, but if the AD can "influence" the PE teachers as well as the "Pop Warner Leauge" Coaches, it really does make a difference. There is a tremendous amount of skill disparity at the 7th grade level between schools with students that have 8 years of playing experience, vs kids that are playing for the first time and don't even know what a mouthpiece is. So my answer to your question is...YES it not only is the single biggest "Legal" factor, it is the single biggest FACTOR PERIOD.

vet93
02-23-2004, 05:25 PM
I am kind of scared....I actually agree with you 100% on this one wink

PPHSfan:
It works especially well if the AD has his system in place all the way down to Pre-K. Some folks may not agree with me on this, but if the AD can "influence" the PE teachers as well as the "Pop Warner Leauge" Coaches, it really does make a difference. There is a tremendous amount of skill disparity at the 7th grade level between schools with students that have 8 years of playing experience, vs kids that are playing for the first time and don't even know what a mouthpiece is. So my answer to your question is...YES it not only is the single biggest "Legal" factor, it is the single biggest FACTOR PERIOD.

PPHSfan
02-23-2004, 10:47 PM
I really thought this thread would get more action slpy.

olddawggreen
02-23-2004, 11:23 PM
I dont believe the big $$$ play as huge a part in winning the championship as it does trying to keep your coach from being hired away after he's won the championship. Theres no guarentee that he will find the type of talent at his new assignment, that he had. And yes having a Pop Warner or Pee Wee system in place makes a huge difference. I think the only school in our district last season that didnt have one was Ingram. There was a huge difference between their 7th graders who were suiting up for the first time, and ours, who had been playing flag and Pee Wee ball since the 3rd grade. Our 7th graders were ready to work on plays, not learn what pads go were and how to fit your mouth piece.