PDA

View Full Version : Big XII Rankings (week 2)

Bull Butter
09-06-2008, 11:50 PM
It's kind of hard to tell because most are playing creampuffs.

1. Oklahoma
2. Missouri
3. Texas
4. Kansas
5. Oklahoma State
6. Kansas State
7. Colorado
8. Texas Tech
9. Nebraska
10. Texas A&M
11. Baylor
12.Iowa State

BobcatBenny
09-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Tech does not appear all that the hype was touting, but Colorado and Tech do have a common opponent, so I do not understand how you come up with rankings? :confused:

Then with OSU trailing UofH at halftime?

Are you just stirring the pot? :stirpot:

Bull Butter
09-07-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm sorry, I didn't know games ended at halftime.

BobcatBenny
09-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
I'm sorry, I didn't know games ended at halftime.
Its a sign of something not good. I'm guessing that coach Gundy wasn't all pats on the back during halftime.

So, ok unranked OSU and Colorado gets preference in your poll over a ranked Tech? :thinking:

I guess Bull Butter is appropriate. :D

Bull Butter
09-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Its a sign of something not good. I'm guessing that coach Gundy wasn't all pats on the back during halftime.

So, ok unranked OSU and Colorado gets preference in your poll over a ranked Tech? :thinking:

I guess Bull Butter is appropriate. :D

We all know how accurate rankings are, don't we????

Do you REALLY think that Tech is the 12th best team in the country right now? After struggling with the likes of Eastern Washington and Nevada?????? If you do, I definitely want some of what you are smoking.

At least oSu and CU wiped out teams from REAL conferences.

As far as "stirring the pot", no one should know more about that than you, since you do it all the time. It just feels a bit different when someone stirs it about YOUR team, doesn't it??????

Necks_Fan
09-07-2008, 07:37 AM
10. Texas A&M :devil: :doh: :eek: :D

BTownVBall3
09-07-2008, 08:16 AM
The Tech defense is terrible..Any team that can hold them under 30 points will beat them. In my opinion Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Texas or even Ok St...Yes, Ok St.

Seeing aTm ranked 10th out of 12 is just hilarious to me and I love it because it's true. I'm waiting on the Baylor upset myself.

Also think that Missouri and Kansas are way over hyped. Still only two powerhouses in the Big XII that have the total packages. This is due in large part because OU and Texas have much..much better coaching staffs.

Necks_Fan
09-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by BTownVBall3
The Tech defense is terrible..Any team that can hold them under 30 points will beat them. In my opinion Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Texas or even Ok St...Yes, Ok St.

Seeing aTm ranked 10th out of 12 is just hilarious to me and I love it because it's true. I'm waiting on the Baylor upset myself.

Also think that Missouri and Kansas are way over hyped. Still only two powerhouses in the Big XII that have the total packages. This is due in large part because OU and Texas have much..much better coaching staffs. :iagree: with everything except that Mizzou is overrated. I think thye are legit. They have some REALLY good players.

Pick6
09-07-2008, 09:04 AM
The Tech defense is terrible..Any team that can hold them under 30 points will beat them.

An opinion that is completely wrong. TT is 2-0 and if they had scored 29 points in each game they'd still be 2-0. Your opinion of any team holding them under 30 and beating them is incorrect. Time will also prove that you are wrong about KU and Mizzou being over rated.

BTownVBall3
09-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Well from the looks of the Big Ten this year, they're all awful. At least the Illini and Michigan are learning that "Power Footbally" doesn't work anymore. Mizzou should have blown out the Illini in my opinion. Game was way to close. Just didn't see anything in that game that makes them the #6 team in the country..

BTownVBall3
09-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Theres no point in agruing with a homer and not going to do it, but giving up 24 to eastern washington state and 29 to nevada...seriously..eastern washington state..Play a BCS team and then repost my thread.

Pick6
09-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Theres no point in agruing with a homer and not going to do it, but giving up 24 to eastern washington state and 29 to nevada...seriously..eastern washington state..Play a BCS team and then repost my thread.

Homer? Wrong again. I've probably watched 5 TT games on TV in the last 10 years. You're right on one thing, there is no point in arguing because you were wrong in what you said about 30 points. Better luck next time.

BTownVBall3
09-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Make me eat my words when it happens then. Texas Tech will not beat a decent BCS team that holds them under 30 points. I think many people will agree with me on that.

Pick6
09-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Make me eat my words when it happens then. Texas Tech will not beat a decent BCS team that holds them under 30 points. I think many people will agree with me on that.

Who is gonna hold TT to under 30 points? It sure won't be UT with that pass defense that they have.

Necks_Fan
09-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Who is gonna hold TT to under 30 points? It sure won't be UT with that pass defense that they have. I think OU and Mizzou could at the very least.

Pick6
09-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I think OU and Mizzou could at the very least.

I think that they have the best chance.

Necks_Fan
09-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I think that they have the best chance. If TTU gets on a roll and is able to establish a little rhythm early, then noone will be able to keep them under 30.

That being said, Mizzou and OU, or even Texas can put up 50 -60 on their garbage defense too.

Old Tiger
09-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Who is gonna hold TT to under 30 points? It sure won't be UT with that pass defense that they have. UT is only giving up around 250 yards per game through the air and the secondary appears to be a bend but don't break unit who are VERY young. They should be clicking by conference play.

On a side note 2 star recruit blake gideon is a beast!

BobcatBenny
09-07-2008, 04:20 PM
...As far as "stirring the pot", no one should know more about that than you, since you do it all the time. It just feels a bit different when someone stirs it about YOUR team, doesn't it??????
Are you talking about the feeling of pity I have because your attempt at pot stirring was so poorly executed? :D

bulldog64
09-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Too be honest, I think all but Oklahoma are overrated from the "Big" 12 Conference. A&M couldn`t beat Cuero, and Tech can`t play D. Texas let UTEP drive the field on them. OSU not much there. Kansas plays a weak schedule, K-State, pppplease Eddie!, Nebraska, black SKIRTS maybe. Colorado, a year or two off. So, that leaves OU as the only legit ranked team.

Necks_Fan
09-09-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by bulldog64
Too be honest, I think all but Oklahoma are overrated from the "Big" 12 Conference. A&M couldn`t beat Cuero, and Tech can`t play D. Texas let UTEP drive the field on them. OSU not much there. Kansas plays a weak schedule, K-State, pppplease Eddie!, Nebraska, black SKIRTS maybe. Colorado, a year or two off. So, that leaves OU as the only legit ranked team. Mizzou?

Pick6
09-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Too be honest, I think all but Oklahoma are overrated from the "Big" 12 Conference.

You didn't mention Mizzou. What about them?

Texasfootball2
09-09-2008, 03:29 PM
I have this to say about Tech. Up till know they appear to be overrated because they have struggled against E. Wash and Neveda Reno. E. Wash may be a patsy and they looked ugly while putting 49 points on the board and 600+ yards of offense, but Neveda Reno is no patsy, they are a good program. I actually think that it shows just how good Tech can be when they can struggle and still beat a pretty good team by double digits. Look at the Ohio/Ohio St. game. U of Ohio is a much lesser opponent than Neveda and OSU almost took it on the chin at home. If your not familiar with Neveda look them up. They are a good program with some good wins over the past three or four years. They have average 8 or 9 wins over the past three seasons and have been to three straight bowls.

This Tech offense will be better than last years, Right it down. And they are stightly improved defensively. They have two more easy games before the Big 12 conference schedule kicks in a I predict that the Red Raiders will find their stride and if they do watch out because they still have something like 18 starters back from last year.

cshscougar08
09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
I actually think that it shows just how good Tech can be when they can struggle and still beat a pretty good team by double digits.

If your not familiar with Neveda look them up. They are a good program with some good wins over the past three or four years. They have average 8 or 9 wins over the past three seasons and have been to three straight bowls.

Really? That's great that they have ben good in the past. I mean really. AGAIN, too bad the past has nothing to do with now. Nevada is currently ranked as the 73rd best team in I-A by SI. Great team THIS year. Tech should have blown them out of the water. But they didn't. And that should be a major cause of concern for Raider fans.

As for the defense, wow. Some improvement. Let's look at the Nevada game for example. Nevada had 488 yards of offense, averaged 6 yards per play, and controlled the ball for almost 36 minutes. If Tech is going to live up to these high expectations, the defense has to improve NOW. It can't wait til conference play because if they do, they will be in serious trouble. Playing better offenses doesn't help you to improve. No way they will be able to contain the likes of OU and Texas if this continues.

jimmyceatworld
09-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Too be honest, I think all but Oklahoma are overrated from the "Big" 12 Conference. A&M couldn`t beat Cuero, and Tech can`t play D. Texas let UTEP drive the field on them. OSU not much there. Kansas plays a weak schedule, K-State, pppplease Eddie!, Nebraska, black SKIRTS maybe. Colorado, a year or two off. So, that leaves OU as the only legit ranked team.

So Texas is overrated because they let UTEP "drive the field on them"? I guess almost every ranked team is overrated if they don't dominate a weaker opponent. No room for error.

BobcatBenny
09-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Well, Tech is Tech and I will not forget that until they prove me wrong. I hope they change my mind.

History shows they will fall short of expectations and loose some games they shouldn't and win some they shouldn't. Just so happens that there aren't a lot of games on their schedule this season where they shouldn't win.

I am not confident this pattern will change. But ... I can always a dream.

Make it two in a row against OU! Get one in their house!

force1
09-09-2008, 04:10 PM
An opinion that is completely wrong. TT is 2-0 and if they had scored 29 points in each game they'd still be 2-0. Your opinion of any team holding them under 30 and beating them is incorrect. Time will also prove that you are wrong about KU and Mizzou being over rated. :clap: :clap: well said

jimmyceatworld
09-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Really? That's great that they have ben good in the past. I mean really. AGAIN, too bad the past has nothing to do with now. Nevada is currently ranked as the 73rd best team in I-A by SI. Great team THIS year. Tech should have blown them out of the water. But they didn't. And that should be a major cause of concern for Raider fans.

As for the defense, wow. Some improvement. Let's look at the Nevada game for example. Nevada had 488 yards of offense, averaged 6 yards per play, and controlled the ball for almost 36 minutes. If Tech is going to live up to these high expectations, the defense has to improve NOW. It can't wait til conference play because if they do, they will be in serious trouble. Playing better offenses doesn't help you to improve. No way they will be able to contain the likes of OU and Texas if this continues.

I agree with you except I don't think Tech cares about the other team having the ball for 36 minutes because they score so quickly that the T.O.P. never leans in their favor.

cshscougar08
09-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
I agree with you except I don't think Tech cares about the other team having the ball for 36 minutes because they score so quickly that the T.O.P. never leans in their favor.

Ah good point. Didn't think about that one. NORMALLY that's a point of concern. Lol.

jambo67
09-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Texas Tech is nothing but a system. A system that could never work without great athletes in the right position. I just can't rack my brain around how the other Big12 Qb's get all the publicity extolling their greatness and Graham Harrell seems to be an afterthought.

jimmyceatworld
09-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by jambo67
Texas Tech is nothing but a system. A system that could never work without great athletes in the right position. I just can't rack my brain around how the other Big12 Qb's get all the publicity extolling their greatness and Graham Harrell seems to be an afterthought.

1. Kliff Kingsbury - 6th round draft pick, out of football (made several NFL teams' practice squad)
2. B.J. Symons - 7th round draft pick, Tampa Bay Storm
3. Sonnie Cumbie - undrafted, Los Angeles Avengers
4. Cody Hodges - undrafted, Fort Wayne Fusion (AFL minor league)
5. Graham Harrell - ?

cshscougar08
09-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by jambo67

The quarterback position in this system doesn't fall under the great athletes category. How many of the quarterbacks that Tech has had in the past 6 or 7 years been really highly recruited out of high school? As far as I know, and I could be wrong, NONE of them had big name schools coming after them. Heck it doesn't take much to just go out there and chuck the football all over the field.

Old Tiger
09-09-2008, 05:18 PM
The quarterback position in this system doesn't fall under the great athletes category. How many of the quarterbacks that Tech has had in the past 6 or 7 years been really highly recruited out of high school? As far as I know, and I could be wrong, NONE of them had big name schools coming after them. Heck it doesn't take much to just go out there and chuck the football all over the field. Harrell is one maybe.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?sport=1&pr_key=15573

cshscougar08
09-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Ok he had a couple coming after. Gah didn't realize NC State was after him. Would've been a nice replacement to Phillip Rivers instead of this carousel we've been on since then.

But the fact remains, the major powers, year in and year out, weren't really interested. People like USC, Michigan, Texas, OU, Florida, Ohio State. Those people.

LH Panther Mom
09-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Ok he had a couple coming after. Gah didn't realize NC State was after him. Would've been a nice replacement to Phillip Rivers instead of this carousel we've been on since then.

But the fact remains, the major powers, year in and year out, weren't really interested. People like USC, Michigan, Texas, OU, Florida, Ohio State. Those people.
But does it really matter who they're getting recruited by once they've been playing for a couple of years? There are a LOT of good college players that never make it, past college, and believe it or not, some don't intend to play past college. :eek:

Don't make me start naming them. :p

cshscougar08
09-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
But does it really matter who they're getting recruited by once they've been playing for a couple of years? There are a LOT of good college players that never make it, past college, and believe it or not, some don't intend to play past college. :eek:

Wouldn't dream of making you. ;)

But this is a subject change. The original response was at the person who asked why Harrell doesn't get talked about with the other Big 12 QB's like Bradford, McCoy, and Daniel. He said with the system, he should get recognition. I said with the system he SHOULDN'T. He's just chucking the ball around. Not saying that it doesn't take any talent, but the real talent lies in the WR's. Make sense?

I know that plenty don't make it in the pros. It's hard. Plus there aren't roster spots abundant like in college.

LH Panther Mom
09-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Wouldn't dream of making you. ;)

But this is a subject change. The original response was at the person who asked why Harrell doesn't get talked about with the other Big 12 QB's like Bradford, McCoy, and Daniel. He said with the system, he should get recognition. I said with the system he SHOULDN'T. He's just chucking the ball around. Not saying that it doesn't take any talent, but the real talent lies in the WR's. Make sense?

I know that plenty don't make it in the pros. It's hard. Plus there aren't roster spots abundant like in college.
Yeah, what you're saying makes sense. So, I guess the records that he broke in HS were just him chucking the ball around? I bet it's his dad's "system" and the WR's that enabled him to get them. :cool:

cshscougar08
09-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah, what you're saying makes sense. So, I guess the records that he broke in HS were just him chucking the ball around? I bet it's his dad's "system" and the WR's that enabled him to get them. :cool:

Hey I didn't say he didn't have talent, nor will you hear me say that. When all you do is throw, you're gonna put up big numbers. That much is a proven fact (Timmy Chang and Colt Brennan at Hawaii and every Tech QB under Mike Leach). So yes I guess you could contribute some of those stats to Sam's system. And of course it's the WR's making all the catches and TD's, so they get some credit as well. But in the end, Graham made the throws, so he gets ultimate credit. :p

Emerson1
09-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't think that was his dad's system. The spread was put in by the OC who also put it in at Red Oak(state champs 06) and put it in at Rockwall Heath before last season. I think his dad was running one of those wing t slot t whatever offenses before the championships started rolling in.

cshscougar08
09-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't think that was his dad's system. The spread was put in by the OC who also put it in at Red Oak(state champs 06) and put it in at Rockwall Heath before last season. I think his dad was running one of those wing t slot t whatever offenses before the championships started rolling in.

Are you saying they weren't in a major passing system when Graham was there or that Sam didn't implement it?

Emerson1
09-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Are you saying they weren't in a major passing system when Graham was there or that Sam didn't implement it?
I don't think Sam implemented it. Harrell would of been in a heavy run offense if that OC, whose name escapes me, didn't come in.

cshscougar08
09-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I don't think Sam implemented it. Harrell would of been in a heavy run offense if that OC, whose name escapes me, didn't come in.

Ok I didn't know that. I just know that Graham was definitely in a passing offense. And that it definitely contributed to his record setting career.

JHS_c/o_06'
09-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue

On a side note 2 star recruit blake gideon is a beast!

People dont know this, but he is in one of my classes, his first name is The.....he is The Gideon......taker of women...destroyer of villiages.

Old Tiger
09-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
People dont know this, but he is in one of my classes, his first name is The.....he is The Gideon......taker of women...destroyer of villiages. haha hide the virgins and children in your village!

fatman123
09-09-2008, 10:18 PM
We all know how accurate rankings are, don't we????

Do you REALLY think that Tech is the 12th best team in the country right now? After struggling with the likes of Eastern Washington and Nevada?????? If you do, I definitely want some of what you are smoking.

At least oSu and CU wiped out teams from REAL conferences.

As far as "stirring the pot", no one should know more about that than you, since you do it all the time. It just feels a bit different when someone stirs it about YOUR team, doesn't it??????

I hate Tech, but you're an idiot. CU barely beat Colorado State, and the other "real conference" team they played was Eastern Washington, whom they beat by 7 points. That's the same Eastern Washington that Tech beat 59-24. It's a real pain in the a$$ when someone actually bothers to look up the stats, isn't it?

jambo67
09-09-2008, 10:34 PM
How many USC starters over the last 4 years are starting in the NFL? I think just ONE!

navscanmaster
09-09-2008, 11:23 PM
A&M couldn`t beat Cuero
:rolleyes: :doh: