PDA

View Full Version : Region II GotW: Prosper (2-0) vs. Bridgeport (2-0)

charlesrixey
09-06-2008, 11:36 PM
with another fairly quiet week in Region 2, all five matchups for the pick em include games against teams from outside the region,
with some familiar faces and some intriguing storylines

Argyle vs. VERNON

-Vernon almost played Argyle in the Region I final last year (before derailment by Snyder, 34-27). Both are down a little bit, but this one should be close

PROSPER vs. Bridgeport
Prosper has started hot this season, pasting 2A champion Farmersville 43-6 last week. Bridgeport has been a perennial playoff team and should be decent this year.

Texarkana Liberty-Eylau @ GILMER
this one needs no introduction. Gilmer should roll, but given that this matchup has been very close the last few years, including in the first round of the D1 playoffs last year

CELINA vs. Daingerfield
six years ago, Daingerfield ended the longest winning streak in Texas history, as 69 games ended on a last second xp miss

VAN vs. Palestine
Van may make the playoffs for the first time in several years-ironic since they never did with Jermie Calhoun as a starter

Bullaholic
09-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Prosper gave the Bulls a pretty good thumping last season. I think this year's Prosper team is even better than last year's, despite the loss of their stud tight-end to Vandy.

Same old story for the Bulls----the traditionally prolific Coach Henson spread "O", can and will, move the ball and put points on just about anybody (2-0, averaging 54pts/game against admitedly unranked opponents) ---but can the "D" provide enough whoa to stay ahead on the scoreboard.

This season's Bulls are more balanced and experienced, and I think the Bull "D" has improved to the point of keeping them in the games against the good teams.

-The "O" line has good size, technique, and mobility, and work well as a unit. They pass protect and run-block very well.

-The Green brothers provide a great tandem in the backfield with speed, elusiveness, receiving, and throwing---especially on the run.

- The WR's all have average speed and size, but run good patterns and have good hands. Their strength is in numbers---they can all do the job---there is no one standout player.

-- Linebackers have good size and speed and hit with authority.

-- Secondary is taller and faster than last season and seem to be around the ball on run or pass.

---"D" line is smaller, but is pretty quick.

--- Kicker has been consistent on PAT's, and can probably kick a 35yd FG if needed.

I look forward to good game against a good Prosper team. This game will be this season's first stern test. The Bull prescription for victory is the same old story as always when 2 good teams meet-- I think the Bulls will win if they run their offense consistently for 4 quarters, avoid turnovers, and don't give up many big plays. Bulls by 7.

Budman007
09-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Bridgeport appears to have their best D in maybe ever. So far the starting D has only given up 12 points in 2 games. The 31 seniors out of 50 varsity players does'nt hurt either. Prosper should provide a good test, but the Bulls will come out on top and show everyone they are for real this year!

BobcatBenny
09-08-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Budman007
Bridgeport appears to have their best D in maybe ever. So far the starting D has only given up 12 points in 2 games. The 31 seniors out of 50 varsity players does'nt hurt either. Prosper should provide a good test, but the Bulls will come out on top and show everyone they are for real this year!
Good defense always gives Prosper fits. So if your evaluation is correct, then this will be a blowout. ;)

Bullaholic
09-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
Good defense always gives Prosper fits. So if your evaluation is correct, then this will be a blowout. ;)

"I like the way you talk"- Karl Childers :D

icu812
09-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
VAN vs. Palestine
Van may make the playoffs for the first time in several years-ironic since they never did with Jermie Calhoun as a starter

Other than scrimmages in the past few years these teams have never played each other. Van's D has looked solid giving up 9 first downs (about 3 or 4 of them to Rusk on their last drive with the subs in and at least 1 on a pennalty) and 10 points combined in the first two games. This was against weak teams though. They will be tested against Palestine. Van's new qb is doing well in the spread this year. I think this will be a good one.

Celina vs. Daingerfield - Celina wins big but I'd still like to see it.

orange machine
09-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Bridgeport 27
Prosper 21

Old Tiger
09-09-2008, 12:44 AM
don't know much about either but I'll go with the Bulls

CHS_89
09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Bridgeport by two TD's. I don't think Prosper will be able to stop the Bull's offense. Their line and QB were impressive at the Celina scrimmage and that was without their starting back.

BwdLions
09-10-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm not real familiar with Prosper, but sounds like they have a good team this year. I am familiar with the Bulls, and if they have a really good defense, I'll take the Bulls in a close game.

Bridgeport 33
Prosper 27

BILLYFRED0000
09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
This might be a good one. I would pick bridgeport if they can stop the run a little better. Prosper is a good passing team but I think Bridgeport is good as well. Might be a barn burner.

OldNavy
09-11-2008, 07:26 AM
I am surprised that Bridgeport leads in the voting. Prosper beat them last year and should be better this year. They have a lot returning, an experienced quarterback and are off to a great start. I will pick Prosper to win their homecoming game.

Farmersfan
09-11-2008, 08:08 AM
I think Prosper should win this game pretty convincingly.

35-14 Prosper

waterboy
09-11-2008, 12:20 PM
I think Prosper will win this one by a couple of TDs.

JR2004
09-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I'll take...

Vernon
Prosper
Gilmer
Celina
Palestine

Stownhorse
09-12-2008, 01:53 PM
If I know my boy that went to Prosper....their D will be legit.

14-28 Prosper.

BullsFan
09-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Bulls lead Prosper 23 -14 at halftime, but I think Prosper just scored and cut the lead to 23-21.

After 3 quarters, Bulls lead 30-28.

BullsFan
09-12-2008, 10:29 PM
And with 4:16 left to play, the Bulls are receiving a kickoff with a 37-31 lead. Go BULLS!

Looks like that remains as the final score. Good week for the Bulls.