PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on BYU Washington...

scrub c
09-06-2008, 09:10 PM
What did you think???

Did the "celebration" warrant a 15 yd EXCESSIVE CELEBRATION penalty that ultimately cost them the game...

(of course if the maggot kicker make the PAT it is a different story)

JR2004
09-06-2008, 09:18 PM
A completely idiotic call. There's just no excuse for an official making that call in that situation.

3afan
09-06-2008, 09:19 PM
BS call

thumptbh
09-06-2008, 09:50 PM
It's in the NCAA rule book. Player cannot throw ball in air in endzone or on field of play. Still a tough call to swallow though. But I bet you Washington wont do that again.

Additup
09-06-2008, 09:52 PM
I may be wrong, but didn't the PAT get blocked?
If it got blocked, it wouldn't have mattered if the tee was on the 10 yd line or on the 25 yd line.

VAMike
09-06-2008, 10:07 PM
There better not have been a tee as they are not permitted in college. ;-)

The rulemakers (coaches and AD's) put in a point of emphasis this year about "celebrations" and this is one of the prime examples of something they want flagged. And the flaging official better not take into account the game situation when he flags. If it is a foul in that situation then it would be a foul if it was 7 minutes into the 1st quarter.

Watch the interviews of the offending player He knows he did wrong Watch ESPN Sportcenter tonight as they claim to have the NAtional COordinator of Officals on to discuss the call

JR2004
09-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Well this thread didn't make it very long before the letter of the law people showed up. :rolleyes:

Additup
09-06-2008, 10:24 PM
If the extra point team blocks, the game goes into OT.

Ya got me with the tee, Mike...:doh:

If you want players to celebrate, let the members of the NCAA Football Rules committee know. It appears coaches don't want to be a part of celebration. They know it'll quickly evolve into NFL Ocho Cinco ignorance.

NCAA Football Rules Committee

Mike Bellotti - Chair
Gil Cloud
Rogers Redding
Randy Edsall
Frank Carr
Chris Hatcher
Todd Knight
Tony Samuel
Ron Prince
Ky Snyder
Rocky Rees

Old Tiger
09-06-2008, 10:41 PM
should have been a no call i don't give a damn what the rules say....that is part of the atmosphere of college football and he wasn't showing up the other team or anything....BS call and refs shouldn't have decided that game like that.

I don't give a damn what anyone of yall think that's my opinion and it's bullcrap that the ref called that

JR2004
09-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
should have been a no call i don't give a damn what the rules say....that is part of the atmosphere of college football and he wasn't showing up the other team or anything....BS call and refs shouldn't have decided that game like that.

I don't give a damn what anyone of yall think that's my opinion and it's bullcrap that the ref called that

It was a horrible call. Not quite as pathetic as that Oregon-OU game from a few years back, but it was a really, really bad call.

Additup
09-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Celebrating after the TD didn't decide the game and the official enforcing a rule didn't decide the game.

BYU blocking the kick decided the game. It was a great special teams play!

Old Tiger
09-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Additup
Celebrating after the TD didn't decide the game and the official enforcing a rule didn't decide the game.

BYU blocking the kick decided the game. It was a great special teams play! bullcrap shut up with that stupid logic

Txbroadcaster
09-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by VAMike
There better not have been a tee as they are not permitted in college. ;-)

The rulemakers (coaches and AD's) put in a point of emphasis this year about "celebrations" and this is one of the prime examples of something they want flagged. And the flaging official better not take into account the game situation when he flags. If it is a foul in that situation then it would be a foul if it was 7 minutes into the 1st quarter.

Watch the interviews of the offending player He knows he did wrong Watch ESPN Sportcenter tonight as they claim to have the NAtional COordinator of Officals on to discuss the call

sorry I disagree with the call or at least the rule..this was not excessive celebration or showing up the oppponent

You say time in game should not matter..I disagree to an extent..the offical should have the judgment to decide when celebration is excessive relative to WHEN it is in the game

ALL the time we hear...The officals are letting them play late in a game, letting the players decide the game and things like that and that is on calls that happen during the play

Additup
09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
bullcrap shut up with that stupid logic
Is that really your counterpoint?

Txbroadcaster
09-06-2008, 11:01 PM

BYU blocking the kick decided the game. It was a great special teams play!

maybe..a kicker has to readjust and kick lower the further out the kick is

JR2004
09-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
ALL the time we hear...The officals are letting them play late in a game, letting the players decide the game and things like that and that is on calls that happen during the play

And yet tonight a goober official decided a game with a ridiculous penalty. The time and situation dictated you don't do something stupid like that official did. Oh well at least the guy will be tarred and feathered for the rest of the year for his ridiculousness this afternoon.

Old Tiger
09-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Is that really your counterpoint? by your logic you're saying a field goal from the 3 is the same as a field goal from the 18.......

what is to say that Washington was going to kick a field goal?

Additup
09-06-2008, 11:04 PM
maybe..a kicker has to readjust and kick lower the further out the kick is
for a 45+ attempt very true, but for a college scholarship player kicking from the 25 yardline? Nope.

Old Tiger
09-06-2008, 11:07 PM
for a 45+ attempt very true, but for a college scholarship player kicking from the 25 yardline? Nope. you're an idiot....that call effected the game and it's ludacris to think otherwise

Additup
09-06-2008, 11:09 PM
by your logic you're saying a field goal from the 3 is the same as a field goal from the 18.......

what is to say that Washington was going to kick a field goal?

For a college kicker on scholarship, that's exactly what I'm saying.

As for kicking vs. going for 2, after the TD, Willingham was holding up his index finger which is generally considered the international "kick the PAT" signal.

Not trying to make it personal, Blue. I still love your *Hot Girl of the Month* concept.

JR2004
09-06-2008, 11:18 PM
you're an idiot....that call effected the game and it's ludacris to think otherwise

Just listened to David Parry on ESPN give an explanation on the call.

He's as much of a moron as the official who made that idiotic call.

Txbroadcaster
09-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Just listened to David Parry on ESPN give an explanation on the call.

He's as much of a moron as the official who made that idiotic call.

It is not the officals fault, but the RULE..they are not giving the offical the ability to JUDGE when it should or should not be called

cshscougar08
09-07-2008, 01:00 AM
I agree. The official called it because it's a rule. Don't blame that official. He just did his job. It's the rule that is what is so gay. And yes that penalty decided that game. A chip shot extra point is a lot different from a 35 yard one. Scholarship kicker or not.

Emerson1
09-07-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
I agree. The official called it because it's a rule. Don't blame that official. He just did his job. It's the rule that is what is so gay. And yes that penalty decided that game. A chip shot extra point is a lot different from a 35 yard one. Scholarship kicker or not.
Was from the 18 though.

eagles_victory
09-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Was from the 18 though. Thats a 35 yard field goal.

VAMike
09-07-2008, 07:02 AM
sorry I disagree with the call or at least the rule..this was not excessive celebration or showing up the oppponent

You say time in game should not matter..I disagree to an extent..the offical should have the judgment to decide when celebration is excessive relative to WHEN it is in the game

Who do you hear that from? You hear it from the same talking heads who do not know the rules of the game or how it is officiated anyway.

The game may not be officiated the way the media and the fans want. Too bad. The game is officiated the way the coaches and AD's want. They write the rulebook, they give guidance to the officiating supervisors in each conference who in turn give it to the refs. That is how the game is officiated.

This particular situation is a clear violation of the rule that says the ball cannot be thrown high into the air after a score or any other play. What gets me is that many of the folks who are saying this was NOT a foul would support the call had the player spiked the ball into the ground with the same force he used to throw it up. What's the difference?

Something else I do not understand is how the blame for the loss can be put on the officials. There was not one striped shirt in the extra point attempt formation so it was not one of them who missed a block allowing a defender to get in and block the kick. Furthermore, anyone who thinks a single play can decide a football game doescnot realy understand football. The game (at that level) usually includes 150-200 plays total. What happened on the other 149-199 is just as important.

LH Panther Mom
09-07-2008, 07:22 AM
you're an idiot.... :mad: :mad: It's getting REAL old!

injuredinmelee
09-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by thumptbh
It's in the NCAA rule book. Player cannot throw ball in air in endzone or on field of play. Still a tough call to swallow though. But I bet you Washington wont do that again.

Thank you for posting that. Rules are there for a reason. If you cant follow them then pay the price. IT wasnt that call that allowed the kick to be blocked. They didnt execute on special teams.

Additup
09-07-2008, 11:23 AM
Great execution of an extra point block.

http://assets.espn.go.com/media/apphoto/d13b1eaf-b065-40f6-aaff-f7ac6899f616.jpg

Phil C
09-07-2008, 11:41 AM
I may be wrong, but didn't the PAT get blocked?
If it got blocked, it wouldn't have mattered if the tee was on the 10 yd line or on the 25 yd line.

This is the main point. If it was blocked it was blocked.

Necks_Fan
09-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
This is the main point. If it was blocked it was blocked. I agree about that point but it's not like he launched the ball in the air. He kinda tossed it about 8-10 ft up in the air over his shoulder and turned to hug his teammates. I have seen far worse get a no-call on celebration.

Moving a kick back 15 yds changes the dynamics of the kick. He can't kick the ball with near as much lift from that far away. He has to hit it a little flatter and harder. That being said, he probably still should have made it, but I think there is NO way that flag should have been thrown.

TexDoc
09-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Since when did officials get to decide what fouls they will and will not call? If that official didn't make that call, he would have been downgraded and someone else who would make the call will be in his spot next year.

Do you blame the cop that gives you a speeding ticket when you speed?

As far as the foul itself, act like you've been there before.

Necks_Fan
09-07-2008, 11:55 AM
nm

VAMike
09-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I agree about that point but it's not like he launched the ball in the air. He kinda tossed it about 8-10 ft up in the air over his shoulder and turned to hug his teammates.

8 - 10 feet???? Are you a female cause I always thought men tended to say things were longer than they actually were , not shorter.

Look at the video again if you need a memory refresh. 20 - 30 feet is more like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y5Uu9NzRrA

Necks_Fan
09-07-2008, 12:01 PM
8 - 10 feet???? Are you a female cause I always thought men tended to say things were longer than they actually were , not shorter.

Look at the video again if you need a memory refresh. 20 - 30 feet is more like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y5Uu9NzRrA Ok. Yea, NVM. Because I saw a different angle of it on ESPN and it didn't look like that. Yea, he did throw it a pretty good ways.

I can see the call, but man... that's tough. He definitely threw it higher than what I saw before. The other angle they showed it kinda just looked like he flicked it over his shoulder.

Trashman
09-07-2008, 12:01 PM
It was a good call by the offical. Had he not made the call the other team would have protested that he should have made the call, and they would have been right. Been there, done that.

VAMike
09-07-2008, 12:04 PM
That is a great point ! (The different shot) It seemed to me that perhaps ESPN shows the close shot repeatedly because it tends to give credence to the talking heads who have been so vocal about the call. We need a mathemtician to figure out for us the apex of the toss which could probably be done by some simple equation taking into account the number of seconds from release until ball comes back to the height of the QB. But whatever it was, it was not the simple "flick over the shoulder" that some are alleging

JR2004
09-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Watching overzealous zebras defending one of their own is always good comedy.

eagles_victory
09-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Watching overzealous zebras defending one of their own is always good comedy. One of the better quotes in downlow history imo.

Snydertigersrul
09-07-2008, 01:30 PM
The officials made the right call by the rulebook, but refs shouldnj't determine an outcome of the game. They should have used common sense and not did anything (they do that in a lot of situations anyway.)

Txbroadcaster
09-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Who do you hear that from? You hear it from the same talking heads who do not know the rules of the game or how it is officiated anyway.

I have had REFS tell me on the HS and College level that there are calls they make in 1st Q that they dont make in the 4Q..and no these are not bad officals, one is a very well respected offical in college football

Again I dont fault the offical anyway, I fault the rule, it leaves no judgment

what the QB did IMO did not violate the spirit of the rule

VAMike
09-07-2008, 01:45 PM
If you respect these guys so much, ask them about the call. As for the college guy, if his supervisor knows he is officiating that way he will not be a college guy for long.

This is the rule:
2. After a score or any other play, the player in possession immediately must return the ball to an official or leave it near the dead-ball spot.
This prohibits:
(a) Kicking, throwing, spinning or carrying (including off of the
field) the ball any distance that requires an official to retrieve it.
(b) Spiking the ball to the ground [Exception: A forward pass to
conserve time (Rule 7-3-2-d)].
(c) Throwing the ball high into the air.
(d) Any other unsportsmanlike act or actions that delay the game.
PENALTY—Dead-ball foul or live-ball foul treated as dead-ball foul.
15 yards [S7 and S27] from the succeeding spot. Flagrant
offenders, if players or substitutes, shall be disqualified
[S47]. If a player or an identified squad member in uniform
commits two unsportsmanlike fouls in the same game, he
shall be disqualified.

If what this player did does not violate the spirit of the rule I'd like to know what the spiirit of it is.

Txbroadcaster
09-07-2008, 01:49 PM
If you respect these guys so much, ask them about the call. As for the college guy, if his supervisor knows he is officiating that way he will not be a college guy for long.

This is the rule:
2. After a score or any other play, the player in possession immediately must return the ball to an official or leave it near the dead-ball spot.
This prohibits:
(a) Kicking, throwing, spinning or carrying (including off of the
field) the ball any distance that requires an official to retrieve it.
(b) Spiking the ball to the ground [Exception: A forward pass to
conserve time (Rule 7-3-2-d)].
(c) Throwing the ball high into the air.
(d) Any other unsportsmanlike act or actions that delay the game.
PENALTY—Dead-ball foul or live-ball foul treated as dead-ball foul.
15 yards [S7 and S27] from the succeeding spot. Flagrant
offenders, if players or substitutes, shall be disqualified
[S47]. If a player or an identified squad member in uniform
commits two unsportsmanlike fouls in the same game, he
shall be disqualified.

If what this player did does not violate the spirit of the rule I'd like to know what the spiirit of it is.

IMO the spirit of the rule is to curb excessive celebration to show up opponent or to delay the game in an excessive nature

A kid making a heck of a run with 2 seconds on the clock, getting up and being excited and throwing up the ball IMO does not violate that spirit...It IMO needs a latitude that allows the official to decide if the action truly warrants a 15 yd penalty..Allow the official to call simply a 5 yd delay of game

I am just asking, but you seem to be taking this personal...I already said IMO this is a bad rule, the official did what he had to, but the rule is IMO bad

JR2004
09-07-2008, 01:54 PM
I am just asking, but you seem to be taking this personal...I already said IMO this is a bad rule, the official did what he had to, but the rule is IMO bad

They can't help it. Once the call goes out from headquarters to hit the message boards to defend their boy they don't stop until you just tire of responding. They're like PETA in that respect.

VAMike
09-07-2008, 01:58 PM
People get mad because refs use their judgment, people get mad when refs "are not allowed to use judgment". It is a no win. And even on this play and ones like it judgment is used all the time. If he had just dropped the ball over his shoulder, I suspect no flag would have flown. But had he spiked it into the ground as forcefully as he threw it up, wouldn't you want a flag for that? Perhaps not. But to those of us who want the integrity of the game and sportsmanship maintained, it is important.

Why is it that when we scored a TD in a similar situation 35 years ago, none of us felt the need to throw the ball into the air? Was it not as "important" or as "exciting" then?

Txbroadcaster
09-07-2008, 02:02 PM
But had he spiked it into the ground as forcefully as he threw it up, wouldn't you want a flag for that? Perhaps not. But to those of us who want the integrity of the game and sportsmanship maintained, it is important.

Why is it that when we scored a TD in a similar situation 35 years ago, none of us felt the need to throw the ball into the air? Was it not as "important" or as "exciting" then?

scoring a TD with 2 seconds left the kid can spike it, throw it in the air, and then poop it for all I care

How is a kid celebrating a last second TD by throwing the ball up and hugging his teammate hurting the integrity or sportsmanship of the game?

I dont like showing the opponent up, I dont like when players take 5 mins to dance after a TD

BUT I also dont like a rule that takes EMOTION out of football, this SHOULD be a TD celebrated because it was THE play of the game

Trashman
09-07-2008, 02:03 PM
People get mad because refs use their judgment, people get mad when refs "are not allowed to use judgment". It is a no win. And even on this play and ones like it judgment is used all the time. If he had just dropped the ball over his shoulder, I suspect no flag would have flown. But had he spiked it into the ground as forcefully as he threw it up, wouldn't you want a flag for that? Perhaps not. But to those of us who want the integrity of the game and sportsmanship maintained, it is important.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Txbroadcaster
09-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This seems to be breaking down the line of old school vs younger fan( relative term since I am 33)

so this will basically turn into an endless debate

old school feels all celebration is wrong, younger fans who grew up on NFL of late 70's and 80s see it for being harmless entertaining fun( as long as it was not the Redskins fun bunch :mad: )

Necks_Fan
09-07-2008, 02:09 PM
scoring a TD with 2 seconds left the kid can spike it, throw it in the air, and then poop it for all I care

How is a kid celebrating a last second TD by throwing the ball up and hugging his teammate hurting the integrity or sportsmanship of the game?

I dont like showing the opponent up, I dont like when players take 5 mins to dance after a TD

BUT I also dont like a rule that takes EMOTION out of football, this SHOULD be a TD celebrated because it was THE play of the game :clap:

VAMike
09-07-2008, 02:10 PM

So what is the magic cutoff? If he had scored with 30 secs left could he still throw it? How about if it was the middle of the 4th quarter?

And again, the penalty was NOT for the hugging of the teammates, it was for the throwing of the ball 15 - 20 feet in the air

Txbroadcaster
09-07-2008, 02:15 PM
So what is the magic cutoff? If he had scored with 30 secs left could he still throw it? How about if it was the middle of the 4th quarter?

And again, the penalty was NOT for the hugging of the teammates, it was for the throwing of the ball 15 - 20 feet in the air

i DONT CARE HE THREW THE BALL...IT HAS NO BEARING ON THE GAME...The clock already is stopped, both teams have to bring on special teams..his throwng the ball did not delay the game, and did not show up opponent

Necks_Fan
09-07-2008, 02:17 PM
i DONT CARE HE THREW THE BALL...IT HAS NO BEARING ON THE GAME...The clock already is stopped, both teams have to bring on special teams..his throwng the ball did not delay the game, and did not show up opponent Once again....:clap:

VAMike
09-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Write a letter to your favorite coaches and ask them to suggest a rule change to their fellow coaches who run the rules committee. (But based on the past several years, I doubt the committee will consider it)

LH Panther Mom
09-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Write a letter to your favorite coaches and ask them to suggest a rule change to their fellow coaches who run the rules committee.
:2thumbsup :2thumbsup

Trashman
09-07-2008, 02:23 PM
This seems to be breaking down the line of old school vs younger fan( relative term since I am 33)

so this will basically turn into an endless debate

old school feels all celebration is wrong, younger fans who grew up on NFL of late 70's and 80s see it for being harmless entertaining fun( as long as it was not the Redskins fun bunch :mad: )

It has nothing to do with age. Players have been spiking the ball since the 60's. They just need to remember to save their celebrations for the sideline.
If the rule were changed tommorow to allow line dancing in the endzone, it would be okay with me. :D

raider red 2000
09-07-2008, 03:37 PM
i DONT CARE HE THREW THE BALL...IT HAS NO BEARING ON THE GAME...The clock already is stopped, both teams have to bring on special teams..his throwng the ball did not delay the game, and did not show up opponent

so could he do the icky shuffle then punt the ball into the stands???

kid screwed up....oh well.

thumptbh
09-07-2008, 07:05 PM

You may not care but several head coaches and AD's do. Just as VAMike said, refs dont write the rule book, just enforce it. It was a tough call. They called it and everyone says refs are idiots for calling it. If they didn't call the whole state of Utah and anti-Washington fans call refs an idiot. This is why we are always short officials. Danged if you call it, danged if you dont.

Txbroadcaster
09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by thumptbh
You may not care but several head coaches and AD's do. Just as VAMike said, refs dont write the rule book, just enforce it. It was a tough call. They called it and everyone says refs are idiots for calling it. If they didn't call the whole state of Utah and anti-Washington fans call refs an idiot. This is why we are always short officials. Danged if you call it, danged if you dont.

I already said I dont blame official but the rule

and I would not be shocked if they look at this rule in the off season..Not saying it should not be on the books at all, just a little tweaking

zebrablue2
09-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Watching overzealous zebras defending one of their own is always good comedy.

do not judge JR., unless you have been there. I know you have not. easy to say watching the replay on the tube, right...

D_bird
09-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Well, I hate to put a damper on all this, but what about the jailbreak that BYU got on the extra point try, that kick wouldve been blocked if it was 18, 25, 35, or 50 yards. The penalty should not have had any bearing on the blocking scheme of an extra point. Yes the trajectory of the kick wouldve been different, but when that many defenders get thru the line on a field goal or extra point it is going to get blocked.

Should the penalty have been called, by the rulebook yes, in that situation, I don't think so. It is an emotional game and you score the what is supposed to be tying touchdown with 2 seconds left, I'd be excited too.

DaHop72
09-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Another video shows the ball was in the air 2.36 seconds.

LH Panther Mom
09-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Another video shows the ball was in the air 2.36 seconds. Too bad I can't remember any of the Physics I took over 30 years ago, or I'd be able to figure out how high. :nerd:

NastySlot
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
right call according to the book.........but it might have been one that the official should have "missed"..........maybe they ought to change the rule to the following after a score the ball must be handed to an official........that might help.

bulldog64
09-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Right call, wrong rule. The young man wasn`t trying to show up anyone, he was excited, but in his excitement, he incurred a penalty. He is a sophomore in College. Things like this are going to happen. I`ll bet he`s devastated by it. The bottomline on this is that the rule is overly harsh, but the refs did what they are paid to do, no more, no less. IT`s too bad, cause it would have been a great comeback.

VAMike
09-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
right call according to the book.........but it might have been one that the official should have "missed"..........maybe they ought to change the rule to the following after a score the ball must be handed to an official........that might help.

Uh....are you being sarcastic as to what the rule should be? (Cause that is what it is now) People are trying to say this was an excessive celebration foul but techincally that is not what it was. I know it was announced that way by the referee but he must have forgotten how the rule is actually broken down because the ball toss prohibition is not part of the excessive celebration rule.

VAMike
09-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Too bad I can't remember any of the Physics I took over 30 years ago, or I'd be able to figure out how high. :nerd:

Smeone on another board appears to have done the math. This is what he/she posted:

I mentally counted approximately 3, maybe 4 seconds, between the release and when it hit him in the head. 3 seconds equates to 36 feet. 4 seconds, 64 feet. Even it my count was fast and it was really only 2 seconds, it would have been 16 feet above his head.

My calculation is based on the fact that at the peak, the velocity of the ball is 0 and that, for these distances/speeds, it takes essentially half the time to go up and half the time to go do down.

I use the following:
vy0 = 0...velocity at the peak of the throw
g = 32.2 (gravity at sea level)
t = 1, 1.5, and 2 (half of the observed time estimates, T)

So, the equation simplifes to 16.1 * t˛ (fall time) or 4.025 * T˛ (total time),

Someone could pull out a stopwatch and time it exactly if they wish and calculate it to the exact inch if they want.

Txbroadcaster
09-08-2008, 12:16 PM
know it was announced that way by the referee but he must have forgotten how the rule is actually broken down because the ball toss prohibition is not part of the excessive celebration rule.

and that is why I say for throwing ball in air make it a 5 yd delay of game penalty

jason
09-08-2008, 12:20 PM
offensive line should have blocked better.....

NastySlot
09-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Uh....are you being sarcastic as to what the rule should be? (Cause that is what it is now) People are trying to say this was an excessive celebration foul but techincally that is not what it was. I know it was announced that way by the referee but he must have forgotten how the rule is actually broken down because the ball toss prohibition is not part of the excessive celebration rule.

no...not being sarcastic.............some guys just drop the ball or lay in on the ground.........im saying rule should state hand the ball directly to the nearest official...no exceptions..no flipping of the ball in the air, no high/low tossing of the ball...no dropping it (placing it on the ground or spiking)........hand it to the official.

we here at the school i coach at might get a few penalties for not handing the ball right away to the official........tradition here is player scoring t.d. gives it to the first lineman that meets him in the endzone and that player hands it to the nearest official.