PDA

View Full Version : Dripping 35 - Wimberley 28

wimbo_pro
09-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Oh my god. We were up by 8, had under 2 minutes to go, with the ball, 2nd and 5 or so, on the 40 yrd line....WE WERE WINNING BY 8!!!

Dripping hadnt been able to move the ball all night, except very early in the game. In fact, they looked very sloppy. They were beaten...well, in most worlds, they were beaten.

Our coach decides to have our QB roll to the left (yes, the QB is right handed), and then throw on the run into the flats...guess what? Pick off for a TD w/two point conversion.

Game tied with 1:45 left.

We get the kick off to the 25 or so...and promptly throw into traffick..picked off.

Dripping scores, we cant in the last 30 seconds. Game over.

Oh my oh my oh my.

gold_33
09-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Yeah i dont know what to think about that game. Wow! We're up 28-13 with 5-6 min left and let them score on a screen then instead of run some time off the clock we throw and it gets picked 6'd then another bad throw into traffic leads to another pick. Some bad coaching and player decisions that shouldnt have happened. We had the game won and practically handed it to them. The team though, other than the last 5 min of the fourth, actually looked good especially in the second half for being as young as they are. The freshman running back is a beast and i think a lot of our success will rely on how he improves throughout the year. Once he left the game in the end of the 3rd with leg cramps we became one demensional and it cost us.

wimbo_pro
09-05-2008, 11:23 PM
All true Gold...but this loss is completely on the coaches. You just dont take that kind of risk with less than 2 minutes to go and up by 8. You just dont do it. They know this. They gave away a game. No big deal in the long run I suppose, but an incredible lapse of coaching right before the final whistle.

gold_33
09-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
All true Gold...but this loss is completely on the coaches. You just dont take that kind of risk with less than 2 minutes to go and up by 8. You just dont do it. They know this. They gave away a game. No big deal in the long run I suppose, but an incredible lapse of coaching right before the final whistle.

I agree totally. Run the ball, let some time run down and punt if you have to. DS didnt have but one good drive all night so make them do something, dont give them the game.

wimbo_pro
09-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by gold_33
I agree totally. Run the ball, let some time run down and punt if you have to. DS didnt have but one good drive all night so make them do something, dont give them the game.

EXACTLY!!! Make them win the game!!! Or even just tie it!! Can you IMAGINE what the DS coaches were thinking when our QB rolled to his opposite side to throw into the flanks???? Images of candy canes dancing in their heads!!!

Neither team can go home and think about this game and be happy. Wimberley gave away a victory. Dripping Springs looked terrible for much of the night. They have the win handed to them, but there were no winners tonight.

TexanAlum_06
09-05-2008, 11:33 PM
I thought Smith's injury was serious at first considering people had to carry him off the field. glad it was only cramps. We will need him this year. He doesnt get the ball enough IMO but on the other hand he is just a freshmen and hes still adjusting to the speed of varsity. its a big jump from 8th grade to varsity and we also dont want to overwork him and risk injury. though the defense could really use his athleticism at LB or safety. we are young and will improve, definetaly a game we should of finished and won though..... do we have La Vernia next week? that will be a tough game. La Vernia always fields a good, disciplined team.

gold_33
09-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Yep. Our team is very young though so it may be a good learning experience for them that at this level you have to play for 4 qtrs. I think we had what 3-4 seniors starting on offense and maybe that on D if not less. Tonight reminded me alot of Hondo in 06, Mike got hurt and we just went flat much like tonight.

TexanAlum_06
09-05-2008, 11:40 PM
yeah. I think the only key players we are losing is QB Scudder and DE Kothman. but both can be replaced. I personally would like to see blakmoore take some more snaps at QB. Kid is a playmaker.

gold_33
09-05-2008, 11:46 PM
At least as a change of pace during the game, kid has some wheels. Prob wont happen though barring an injury to Scudder. I think we have a pretty bright future ahead of us though, these kids can play but just need some time. Smith is gonna be a household name by the time he graduates, hes freakin good.

wimbo_pro
09-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Yes he is. I hope they work hard on his grades, he probably will be a D1 prospect...size, good speed (not great, yet)...and he likes to hit, and hit hard.

TexanAlum_06
09-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Yes he is. I hope they work hard on his grades, he probably will be a D1 prospect...size, good speed (not great, yet)...and he likes to hit, and hit hard.

When Smith gets going nobody will catch him but I noticed hes not very quick from a stand still, but i think part of that comes from being young and still adjusting to the speed of the game. He has good vision and great moves though. I dont think we have seen his best ball yet. If he keeps it up and continues to mature and get better I wouldnt be surprised to start seeing some scouts from big name colleges all over the country in the stands in the coming years. He has the potential to very very good by the time he graduates. its still hard to believe hes just a freshmen!

wimbo_pro
09-06-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah, he is impressive...but our offensive line has work to do. So does our defensive line...we hardly EVER put major pressure on their QB.