PDA

View Full Version : Astros

navscanmaster
09-03-2008, 10:48 PM
8 in a row. 6 1/2 out of the wildcard after back to back sweeps of the red birds and cubbies. It would take a lot more losing by the brew crew, but I can almost smell it now. Congrats to Randy Wolf on the complete game shut out on the road. Wigginton goes deep again! Lance Berkman still can't hit at Wrigley, but everybody is clicking good enough that they made due. Go Stros!:clap:

jimmyceatworld
09-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Stros do like to have those late season runs. Since they're my favorite NL team from Texas I'll be rooting for them :D

Bull Butter
09-04-2008, 12:24 AM
This run does seem to be a little late, even by Astros standards. But I'll never count them out, considering what they've done in the past.

GWOOD
09-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
This run does seem to be a little late, even by Astros standards. But I'll never count them out, considering what they've done in the past.

It does seem too late. They will need a "Colorado Rockies run" to catch up in the wild card race.

Old Tiger
09-04-2008, 07:54 AM
it is too late....no way they make the playoffs....just give up already

buff4ever
09-04-2008, 08:10 AM
This run for the wild card will likely fall short, however I am going to watch it anyway. Cooper has got to find a way to find this kinda ball earlier in the year next year. However, our record this year would normally be enough to win a wild card, maybe this year is a funny year.

Bull's-eye
09-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
it is too late....no way they make the playoffs....just give up already

You will never be part of anything spectacular with that "give up attitude". I learned a long time ago to never leave a game early or give up when there is still a remote chance. I have seen some amazing come from behind wins! The Astros have a history of being a 2nd half team and making the playoffs on the last game of the season.

SWMustang
09-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I haven't kept up with it too much, but the Astros have won 75 games to the Rangers 69. I thought Texas would win more games than the 'Stros this year. In true Rangers fashion, they will not.

Bull19
09-04-2008, 10:24 AM
i wonder what crazyjournilst has to say about this???

SWMustang
09-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Bull19

My Guess - Texas plays in the tougher AL and we won the silver boot

headhunter
09-04-2008, 10:31 AM
If the astros can get to 90 or 92 wins then they have a shot. It is just unfortunate that they are in the toughest division in the NL. The brewers just won't lose. However, 6-1/2 GB is not that bad and should the Brewers hit a five game skid then the astros can close. If we were in teh west or the east we would be either leading the division or a game or two back.

SWMustang
09-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by headhunter
If the astros can get to 90 or 92 wins then they have a shot. It is just unfortunate that they are in the toughest division in the NL. The brewers just won't lose. However, 6-1/2 GB is not that bad and should the Brewers hit a five game skid then the astros can close. If we were in teh west or the east we would be either leading the division or a game or two back.

as long as CC Sabathia isn't pitching the brew crew can be beat. They just got swept by the mets

Txbroadcaster
09-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Bull19

I know what I say as a Ranger fan and Astros fan

Rangers have laid a groundwork for the future hope the pitching in minors continues to develop, if it does Rangers have a legit chance to become a force in AL

For Astros

I really wish this team would learn to play 162 games and not wake up in August lol..They could be sitting real pretty

as for the comment about Rangers being in tougher AL, well honestly that is partly true but really has no bearing on how the teams play,..u just have to play who is on the schedule

Maroon87
09-04-2008, 10:37 AM
In 2006 they made up 6 games on the Cards in the last couple of weeks but fell a game short.

Necks_Fan
09-04-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm just happy we are winning games. I have said for the last few weeks, just win games and things will take care of themselves.

If you notice, Pence has really been hitting better lately. He's 10/17 in his last 4-5 games I think.

navscanmaster
09-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I'm just happy we are winning games. I have said for the last few weeks, just win games and things will take care of themselves.

If you notice, Pence has really been hitting better lately. He's 10/17 in his last 4-5 games I think.

Notice he has been laying off that breaking ball out of the zone lately?:clap:

He changed his stance in the box: His front foot is out a few inches, meaning he has opened his stance up a little. It is working apparently. If he would have hit a homer on Tuesday, he would have hit for they cycle.

sahen
09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

to be fair they started the run in August, but they had to do it jsut to tread water w/ the Brew-crew, the cards and phillies played average which is why we are about to catch them....In august the Astros were 21-9 while the Brewers were 20-7....

Old Tiger
09-04-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
You will never be part of anything spectacular with that "give up attitude". I learned a long time ago to never leave a game early or give up when there is still a remote chance. I have seen some amazing come from behind wins! The Astros have a history of being a 2nd half team and making the playoffs on the last game of the season. How is it give up if it is true? It's not like you or me play for the stros

Bull's-eye
09-04-2008, 03:18 PM
How is it give up if it is true? It's not like you or me play for the stros

I did a few years back.

navscanmaster
09-04-2008, 04:42 PM
I did a few years back.

Elaborate? You might be able to shut Casey up for a change.:devil: :D

Old Tiger
09-04-2008, 04:43 PM
astros have always sucked

navscanmaster
09-04-2008, 04:50 PM
Who's T-Shirt do you wear?:p

Maroon87
09-04-2008, 04:57 PM

To quote the great Booger..."which are you, pot or kettle?"

Old Tiger
09-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Who's T-Shirt do you wear?:p Rays :clap: :clap: :D :cool: :p

navscanmaster
09-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Rays :clap: :clap: :D :cool: :p
Well, you got to love what they are doing with a dismal payroll down there. I am a T-shirt fan of the Rays this year also. I just fail to see why you hate the Astros so much.

Old Tiger
09-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Well, you got to love what they are doing with a dismal payroll down there. I am a T-shirt fan of the Rays this year also. I just fail to see why you hate the Astros so much. they have a great farm system

Maroon87
09-04-2008, 05:15 PM
I just fail to see why you hate the Astros so much.

:stirpot: ....that's why.

Old Tiger
09-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Well, you got to love what they are doing with a dismal payroll down there. I am a T-shirt fan of the Rays this year also. I just fail to see why you hate the Astros so much. i don't like the ownership/management

Necks_Fan
09-04-2008, 05:21 PM
i don't like the ownership/management Neither do I.

McClane makes me angry... he refuses to build for the future.

5-1 Tejada trade was the stupidest trade EVER.

Ed Wade is a wuss. He got punked by Shawn Chacon.:doh:

And I think it's a toss up on Cooper. He can stay or go. I really don't care.

Maroon87
09-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Astros win 3-2, Brewers lose 5-4...Astros are 5 games out.

Ex CC Hook Mark Saccomano got called up from Round Rock this morning, then hit a pinch homer on the first major league pitch he saw that proved to be the difference. Wow...:cool:

sahen
09-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Astros win 3-2, Brewers lose 5-4...Astros are 5 games out.

Ex CC Hook Mark Saccomano got called up from Round Rock this morning, then hit a pinch homer on the first major league pitch he saw that proved to be the difference. Wow...:cool:

Saccomano is a Baylor Bear! Sic'em!

Bull's-eye
09-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Getting a little interesting! Does everybody know that the Astros have the best record in the MLB since the All-Star break?

Bull19
09-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Getting a little interesting! Does everybody know that the Astros have the best record in the MLB since the All-Star break? i do

zebrablue2
09-08-2008, 10:59 PM
i don't like the ownership/management

tell us why, cuz I know U have an answer...???

zebrablue2
09-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Neither do I.

McClane makes me angry... he refuses to build for the future.

5-1 Tejada trade was the stupidest trade EVER.

And I think it's a toss up on Cooper. He can stay or go. I really don't care.

I agree with the 5-1 trade. if wade was in either of the other 2 divisions he would look like a master mind. you should have been a astro fan when John Mc mullen owned the team. talking about a nightmare. the randy johnson deal really hurt the stros way back when, but they were shooting for winning it all that 1 season. McClane does a good job. biggest mistake was letting hunsiker get away. HE WAS THE MASTERMIND, NO DOUBT....

Old Tiger
09-08-2008, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
tell us why, cuz I know U have an answer...??? spends money to bring in players but not keep great players they've had through the years

zebrablue2
09-08-2008, 11:23 PM
spends money to bring in players but not keep great players they've had through the years

look at the money he tried to spend on beltran. what a mistake that would have been. who the heck else did he let go who was so great? they were in the playoffs about 6 out of 8 years. like I said, they gave up 3 top young pitchers for the big rat {unit} 9 yrs ago to try and win it all. for a med. mkt., they draw very well...

Old Tiger
09-08-2008, 11:25 PM
wagner....alou to name a couple

zebrablue2
09-08-2008, 11:32 PM
wagner....alou to name a couple

I was a big fan of both of those guys. wagner wore out his welcome with his temper. alou hurt his knee on a treadmill and got paid for a season he never played. he was getting up in age, and had injury problems. decision had to be made. he has been on IR 50 % of the time since he left houston. so there is your proof.. on a side note, heard tonight wagner's career may be over. out the rest of this year and all of next. he is 37 yrs. old.

themsu97
09-09-2008, 06:27 AM
look at the money he tried to spend on beltran. what a mistake that would have been. who the heck else did he let go who was so great? they were in the playoffs about 6 out of 8 years. like I said, they gave up 3 top young pitchers for the big rat {unit} 9 yrs ago to try and win it all. for a med. mkt., they draw very well...

what are you talking about? Randy Johnson was what...11-1 as a starter for the Astros when they got him... then threw lights out against the Padres... the fact that Biggio and Bagwell could not hit was the problem...

and for the record... Randy Johnson to Houston for John Halama, Freddy Garcia and Carlos Guillen, that makes one top pitching prospect and the top shortstop prospect...
I will agree on this though, the Mariners wanted Daryl Ward but Hunsicker said he was a can't miss so gave them Garcia and Guillen... they should have gave them Ward

Maroon87
09-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Oswalt, Ethier share NL's weekly honors
Astros starter, Dodgers outfielder recognized for performance
By Jeff Birnbaum / MLB.com

Baseball season has entered the September home stretch, and the Dodgers and Astros both find themselves in the thick of the playoff hunt with three weeks to go. Los Angeles largely has Andre Ethier to thank, while Roy Oswalt has been the catalyst for Houston's ascent toward the top of the Wild Card race. The two men were named National League Co-Players of the Week on Monday.

It was only 10 days ago that the Dodgers were all but done in the NL West. They trailed the D-Backs by 4 1/2 games and had lost a season-high eight straight. But things quickly turned around, and Ethier was a main reason.

The 26-year-old helped the Dodgers go on an eight-game winning streak and grab sole possession of the NL West lead. He led the league with a .650 (13-for-20) batting average, a 1.200 slugging percentage, a .741 on-base percentage and 10 runs scored last week. Ethier also recorded two doubles, a triple, two home runs and eight RBIs.

The right fielder chose to play his best baseball when the Dodgers needed him most. Facing the D-backs on Sept. 5, Ethier posted a 5-for-5, five-RBI game, which included two doubles and a home run. Los Angeles won that game, 7-0, and went on to sweep Arizona to grab first place in the division.

"Ethier has killed us," D-backs manager Bob Melvin said.

While Ethier did his damage at the plate, Oswalt dominated on the mound to help his team climb to within six games of the Brewers in the Wild Card standings.

Oswalt led the NL with 17 innings pitched and tied for first with a 2-0 record, a 0.00 ERA and one shutout last week. First he stymied the Cubs, who have one of the best offenses in baseball, giving up just four hits and striking out three in 8 1/3 innings.

But that proved to be just the appetizer.

Oswalt bordered on brilliance in his next start against the Rockies on Saturday. He tossed the first one-hit shutout and 14th complete game of his career. Colorado's only hit was a slow chopper up the middle by Brad Hawpe in the fifth. By the ninth, Oswalt was still hitting 95 mph with his fastball, and he struck out Hawpe and Garrett Atkins to end the game.

"He was as good as I've seen pitch in this ballpark since I've been here in '97," Rockies manager Clint Hurdle said of Oswalt, who became the first pitcher to throw a one-hitter at Coors Field since Florida's Pat Rapp did so in 1995. "It was the most complete outing I've witnessed, including our pitchers."

Even Oswalt, who threw 70 of his 102 pitches for strikes, couldn't believe how easily he blew through the Rockies' lineup.

"I looked up once and I saw 69 or 68 [pitches] in the sixth or seventh -- it might have been seventh -- and I was thinking, 'Man, I threw more pitches than that,'" he said. "I had some quick innings, some ground balls. [I] wasn't trying to strike a lot of guys out, just trying to throw the ball down in the zone and get some ground balls."

This marks the second career weekly award for both Ethier and Oswalt. Ethier previously won on July 9, 2006, and Oswalt was honored on June 27, 2004.

"Those are the things you look back on when you retire," Oswalt said. "They're nice to get, it shows people notice what you're doing."

BTownVBall3
09-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Astros up 9-2 in the 6th and brewers down 1-4 in the 6th

And the first Astors HR review is happening

Bull's-eye
09-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Philly is losing 10-8 and STL is tied 3-3.

Bull's-eye
09-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Astros win 9-3!

Mil 4 Cinn 4 in the 7th

Bull Butter
09-09-2008, 10:16 PM

Who punked who?

Ed Wade is still in baseball and GM of a team that is very much in the playoff hunt.

Where's Chacon these days??????? That bum will never see another MLB playing field from anywhere but his TV screen.

I'd say Ed got the better of that deal.

Ed 1 Chacon 0:clap:

Bull Butter
09-09-2008, 10:25 PM
It's also good to see former CC Hooks Mark Saccomanno and Edwin Maysonet make it to the show.:clap:

SintonFan_inAustin
09-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Astros have any games remaining against the Brewers?

Bull's-eye
09-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Astros have any games remaining against the Brewers?

No, but they do have a very soft schedule once they finish the weekend series with the Cubs.

Bull's-eye
09-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Reds defeat the Brewers in 11 innings 5-4. Astros now only 4 games back!

headhunter
09-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Brewers should lose about 6 or 7 games out of the remaining 17 games. The astros can only afford to lose maybe 2 or 3 at the most.

They've done it before, why not again.

Go Astros!!!

headhunter
09-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Brewers lost tonight 5 - 4 to the reds

Astros only 4 games back!!!

Bull's-eye
09-10-2008, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by headhunter
Brewers lost tonight 5 - 4 to the reds

Astros only 4 games back!!!

Did the Brewers lose and the Astros are only 4 games back? I thought I read that on a earlier post. :D

SWMustang
09-10-2008, 08:44 AM
that's what I heard

Necks_Fan
09-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I had already given up all hope, granted I still watched the games, but I thought they had a snow ball's chance in hell of making it.... but now we're looking like we got a legit shot.

Bull's-eye
09-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Grand slam Tejada, Astros lead 7-2 bottom of the 6th.

zebrablue2
09-10-2008, 09:19 PM
brew crew won earlier. need a win to stay 4 back. making things interesting the stros are...

sahen
09-10-2008, 09:24 PM
brew crew won earlier. need a win to stay 4 back. making things interesting the stros are...

just as important, w/ a win we catch the phillies, and if the cards end up losing (down 4-1 in the 7th) then we pass them....we could be tied for 2nd in the wild card race w/ the phillies 4 games back after today....just in time for the phillies/brewers 4 game series starting tomorrow...

Bull's-eye
09-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Astros win 7-4.

BigCT4
09-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Will the game be played on thursday??

Emerson1
09-10-2008, 10:12 PM
They should just cancel the entire MLB season

Bull's-eye
09-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by BigCT4
Will the game be played on thursday??

Most likely yes and I heard Friday's game may start at 1:00 in the afternoon. Subject to change.

zebrablue2
09-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by sahen
just as important, w/ a win we catch the phillies, and if the cards end up losing (down 4-1 in the 7th) then we pass them....we could be tied for 2nd in the wild card race w/ the phillies 4 games back after today....just in time for the phillies/brewers 4 game series starting tomorrow...

go phillies......

navscanmaster
09-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Miguel Tejada and Hunter Pence are heating things up. Geoff Blum is getting hits in important situations despite a bad average. Darin Erstad and Mark Loretta are coming up big as well. I like that call up Arias, he can pitch. The rotation is strong as ever now with pitchers that are not supposed to be pitching this good. Oswalt 23 1/3 scoreless, Moehler has been consistent all year, Wandy is good 3 out of 4 outings, Randy Wolf has been spectacular since we acquired him, and Brandon Backe is actually the weak link, if you can call him weak. LaTroy Hawkins.......what were they doing to him up there in New York, to go from a near 6 ERA with NYY to 0 in HOU....dang!

I wish it had been like this in mid season.

Bull's-eye
09-11-2008, 12:28 AM
.........and miss all this late season excitement. :D