PDA

View Full Version : Spur Football

NateDawg39
09-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Had a chance to catch up with some old timers I know out in Spur. They were telling me about how the practices used to be and how they trained in the summer. They would go to the coaches ranch and do fence work, roll hay, stack hay, camp out then do it again the next day for 2 weeks. One guy showed me a tally sheet. A grand total of 72 run plays from both teams and zero pass attempts. It wasnt until college thay Grey Hall found out what the forward pass was :) Pretty neat to hear about the old football days.

lv2937
09-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Had a chance to catch up with some old timers I know out in Spur. They were telling me about how the practices used to be and how they trained in the summer. They would go to the coaches ranch and do fence work, roll hay, stack hay, camp out then do it again the next day for 2 weeks. One guy showed me a tally sheet. A grand total of 72 run plays from both teams and zero pass attempts. It wasnt until college thay Grey Hall found out what the forward pass was :) Pretty neat to hear about the old football days. Spur football sucks. if they play patton springs this year they will get their butts kick. Matador or montley county, whatever they are called rules 6 man football in that area.

hawkfan
09-03-2008, 09:59 PM
My grandparents live in Spur. Talk about a place that is drying up.

Farmersfan
09-04-2008, 08:31 AM
I played at Patton Springs about a million years ago. Motley County, Spur and Jayton all played 11 man ball back then. We played Guthrie, Northside Vernon, Wellman, Southland, Loop, Benjamin, Harrold (before the teacher started packin') and a lot of other small schools. those were the good ole' days......................
Natedawg39! did you grow up in the Spur area and if so what timeframe?

Originally posted by lv2937
Spur football sucks. if they play patton springs this year they will get their butts kick. Matador or montley county, whatever they are called rules 6 man football in that area.

LH Panther Mom
09-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I played at Patton Springs about a million years ago. Motley County, Spur and Jayton all played 11 man ball back then. We played Guthrie, Northside Vernon, Wellman, Southland, Loop, Benjamin, Harrold (before the teacher started packin') and a lot of other small schools. those were the good ole' days......................
Natedawg39! did you grow up in the Spur area and if so what timeframe?
I lived in Spur's district during the 11-man days. The stadium is one of the most unique I've been in, and I've been in a LOT of stadiums.

Go Matadors! :)