PDA

View Full Version : 3ADownlow mobile web format

navscanmaster
09-03-2008, 12:18 AM
Is this possible? I don't know much about it, but would that ever be great!!!:D If it was possible, would it make operating costs soar? I just started using mobile web from verizon, and I can get to 3adownlow.com but it times out loading everything, and it is all picassoed on my phone's screen. Any tech savvy people want to weigh in?

BreckTxLonghorn
09-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Is this possible? I don't know much about it, but would that ever be great!!!:D If it was possible, would it make operating costs soar? I just started using mobile web from verizon, and I can get to 3adownlow.com but it times out loading everything, and it is all picassoed on my phone's screen. Any tech savvy people want to weigh in?

I would also like to support research into this venture. I am out of town most weekends, and therefore cannot look at the board for scores or anything. I understand it may not be feasible, but is there a way to check?

IHStangFan
09-03-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm a big advocate of phones that can rcv emails..i.e. Blackberry, but I've never been a fan of surfing the web from a phone. I'd rather spend the dough on a Wireless broadband card ( I believe all Sprint, Verzion, and AT&T have them now for their networks) and just use my laptop wherever I may be.

BreckTxLonghorn
09-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I'm a big advocate of phones that can rcv emails..i.e. Blackberry, but I've never been a fan of surfing the web from a phone. I'd rather spend the dough on a Wireless broadband card ( I believe all Sprint, Verzion, and AT&T have them now for their networks) and just use my laptop wherever I may be.

I agree. However, its easier to surf via phone in malls, stadiums, etc, than pulling out the laptop on a whim.

IHStangFan
09-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
I agree. However, its easier to surf via phone in malls, stadiums, etc, than pulling out the laptop on a whim. Agreed as well. If you are AT another game, then true. If you are just "out of town" on business or whatnot...the laptop is definitely the way to go. The BIG winner would be if you could access streaming audio/web feeds of games from your phone. Now THAT'D be sweet! I need to research that some.

pirate4state
09-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster

I would suggest changing your user options before game day to eliminate avatars, sigs, etc...that might help some.

Beyond that ... I can't help you. Sorry!

navscanmaster
09-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I would suggest changing your user options before game day to eliminate avatars, sigs, etc...that might help some.

Beyond that ... I can't help you. Sorry!
I'll have to do some manual browsing and see what I can do. Do the founding fathers know anything about mobile web formatting? I am just curious as to whether it is feasible and more costly, thats all.

sinton66
09-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Try to get hold of Slpybear, I think he has done it. Not 100% sure though.

Administrator
09-03-2008, 06:56 PM
I had brought this back up in 2004 for the WAP cell phones (as was pretty much all that was out there back then for cell browsers). With todays industry of cell phones having a type of nearly fully capable web browsers built in, typically isn't a problem. I had found a company that was compatible with vBulletin back then, but I would have to research again. Keep in mind, chances of us finding FREE Software is very slim, so should this be something the membership feels needed, we would put it to a membership vote to see if they would like to spend the donation money on the said software purchase.

See this link for the thread from 2004:

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16683

Emerson1
09-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Administrator
Keep in mind, chances of us finding FREE Software is very slim, so should this be something the membership feels needed, we would put it to a membership vote to see if they would like to spend the donation money on the said software purchase.

If it was going to cost money seems like it would be more practical just to make an easy way for phone users to access the weekly scores that are on the main site.

Something like what google has m.google.com

Unless you had an iphone or some made for web phone seems like it would be near impossible to browse the message boards anyways.

navscanmaster
09-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
If it was going to cost money seems like it would be more practical just to make an easy way for phone users to access the weekly scores that are on the main site.

Something like what google has m.google.com

Unless you had an iphone or some made for web phone seems like it would be near impossible to browse the message boards anyways.

I would say that unless you could efficently browse the message boards like you would on a desktop, it would not be worth the money it would take to buy software. That is the heart and soul of this website, after all. We don't post incomplete scores on the scoreboard, so we would have to go to the message board to find updates. It would also be good for those who have to travel a long way home like West Texas folks.

CenTexSports
09-04-2008, 07:26 AM
I get on it every Friday night after our game and some other thime to find answers to questions using my Blackberry. I don't have any major problems.

jason
09-04-2008, 08:26 AM
the message boards are 99% text, if you turn off sigs and avatars, you should be fine using some sort of PDA - i can browse pretty easily on my samsung blackjack....