PDA

View Full Version : Question on La Vega Fans

bwdlionfan
09-02-2008, 09:56 PM
How well does La Vega travel? I'm hoping for a great atmosphere Friday night.

Rabid Cougar
09-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
They don't nomally travel well. I am sure that this is one of those games that they will. You will get enough of the HooHA though. There will be a lot of non-alligned fans there for this one. If this was at Baylor Stadium on a Saturday afternoon, there would be 20,000 there just as there was for the China Spring game last year.

Doesn't make difference anyway, the fans don't play!

bwdlionfan
09-02-2008, 10:34 PM
What's the hooha?

cshscougar08
09-02-2008, 10:41 PM
What's the hooha?

It's a little chant thing they do.

jimmyceatworld
09-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
They don't nomally travel well. I am sure that this is one of those games that they will. You will get enough of the HooHA though. There will be a lot of non-alligned fans there for this one. If this was at Baylor Stadium on a Saturday afternoon, there would be 20,000 there just as there was for the China Spring game last year.

Doesn't make difference anyway, the fans don't play!

I was at that game. I was shocked by how much baby blue was in the stands. The entire city of China Spring had to have been there.

JR2004
09-02-2008, 11:30 PM
What's the hooha?

The shirt I bought from them last year at the WO-S game said "CAN I GET A HOORAH!" NOT HOOHA.

You'll be able to hear the more vocal ones saying "CAN I GET A HOORAH! if it's a good game.

Nursebetty
09-03-2008, 05:37 AM
"HOORAH"! :cheerl:

Rabid Cougar
09-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
I was at that game. I was shocked by how much baby blue was in the stands. The entire city of China Spring had to have been there.

Well we call it Columbia or Cougar Blue but that's ok.
We DO travel well. Did well at Kyle Field , Burger Stadium and Texas Stadium too.

I would be there in Brownwood on the visitors side on Friday night but have previous plans in Mexia.

Lion_Addict
09-03-2008, 09:07 AM

Yeah, hopefully they will bring some peeps and not be an embarassment as the 4A Waco fans are when they travel :dispntd:

LionKing
09-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Will they travel better than Waco High ? their fan following wasn't the greatest, University had no fans, even at home games where we counted between 50-60 fans at Waco I.S.D. Stadium, hopefully the La Vega fans will make the 125 miles to GW Stadium.

Looking4number8
09-03-2008, 09:33 AM
That was sad last year in Waco when we played University. 50 fans on the home side! Terrible!! I remember the year before when we played them in Brownwood. Dont think they had more than about 20 or 30 fans over there and some of our people went to the visitor side just because they felt sorry for the players with no support.

I would be willing to bet La Vega travels well. Hope for a good crowd for both teams Friday

Wood Fan 2
09-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by lookingfornumbe
That was sad last year in Waco when we played University. 50 fans on the home side! Terrible!! I remember the year before when we played them in Brownwood. Dont think they had more than about 20 or 30 fans over there and some of our people went to the visitor side just because they felt sorry for the players with no support.

I would be willing to bet La Vega travels well. Hope for a good crowd for both teams Friday

I would be one of those fans that always sits on the visitor side....I'm not sure if it's because I'm unsociable during the games, or if it's because I've sat there for the last 25 years, or if it is because of an unfortunate incident that occurred about 10 years ago. To those who sat in front of me and my small child on the home side that night (the one time I sit on the home side), I still apologize for the horror film type of hurling that my child spewed upon your backsides :doh:

Needless to say, a quick exit was made and I still cheer from the visitor side. That is all, good day! :D

JR2004
09-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
Yeah, hopefully they will bring some peeps and not be an embarassment as the 4A Waco fans are when they travel :dispntd:

You need to understand there are other factors in play when you play a school like Waco High or Waco U. Do a bit more research on schools from areas like where those two schools are located and you'll understand why folks can't just plan their whole day around their football team or any athletic team for that matter.

An example is the team I root for, Madison. I was a bit confused a few years back as to why the crowds weren't bigger than a few hundred each football game until I talked to the man who was the basketball coach there a few years ago. He said it was the same way when he was in high school at SOC. His mother didn't make it to many of his own basketball games because she was working multiple jobs due to there not being a father around to help out.

Sports don't have the same priority at Waco High as they do in smaller towns and I don't have a problem with them not travelling well. Heck we played Celina in 2006 in the playoffs and there were maybe 1500 on hand on the visitor side, but only 500 or so of those were Madison fans (When I see our side filled up with white folks like me I know the reason they are there. Same reason they all showed up in 2004 when we played Gilmer.). Waco High fans and similar schools fans have things that require their attention that are a bit more important than making sure their team has a few thousand people in the stands on Friday night. That's just how it is.

RunTheFollow
09-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Good reply. Many don't understand.

BwdLion73
09-03-2008, 11:21 AM
:confused:

Looking4number8
09-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
You need to understand there are other factors in play when you play a school like Waco High or Waco U. Do a bit more research on schools from areas like where those two schools are located and you'll understand why folks can't just plan their whole day around their football team or any athletic team for that matter.

An example is the team I root for, Madison. I was a bit confused a few years back as to why the crowds weren't bigger than a few hundred each football game until I talked to the man who was the basketball coach there a few years ago. He said it was the same way when he was in high school at SOC. His mother didn't make it to many of his own basketball games because she was working multiple jobs due to there not being a father around to help out.

Sports don't have the same priority at Waco High as they do in smaller towns and I don't have a problem with them not travelling well. Heck we played Celina in 2006 in the playoffs and there were maybe 1500 on hand on the visitor side, but only 500 or so of those were Madison fans (When I see our side filled up with white folks like me I know the reason they are there. Same reason they all showed up in 2004 when we played Gilmer.). Waco High fans and similar schools fans have things that require their attention that are a bit more important than making sure their team has a few thousand people in the stands on Friday night. That's just how it is.

Thanks for the explanation. I know that here in Brownwood we go overboard on our support and cant see why others dont. That does not make us right, but we all have our own little niches. Hope I did not come off as judgemental.

My personal work schedule allows me to attend all of the in town and out of town football and softball games, no matter what time they start. I understand others are not so flexilbe. With all that said, and the price of fuel, I am not so sure I will make as many out of town games for either sport once my daughter graduates this year but I will make some. (prob not the long long drive to snyder!)

Again, hope I did not appear judgemental!

garciap77
09-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by lookingfornumbe

I hope our visitor's side is competed when you travel to AW! Our stadium is small compare to BW, so it will be a packed crowd!

ronwx5x
09-03-2008, 12:19 PM

I was at that game and being generous I think there might have been 500 on the Madison side. The band had fewer than 15 members. I was saddened to see the low support, but maybe your post puts it all in a better perspective. Just remember that not ALL folks outside urban areas are rich, they just have less competing entertainment on a Friday night!;) ;)

garciap77
09-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Wood Fan 2
I would be one of those fans that always sits on the visitor side....I'm not sure if it's because I'm unsociable during the games, or if it's because I've sat there for the last 25 years, or if it is because of an unfortunate incident that occurred about 10 years ago. To those who sat in front of me and my small child on the home side that night (the one time I sit on the home side), I still apologize for the horror film type of hurling that my child spewed upon your backsides :doh:

Needless to say, a quick exit was made and I still cheer from the visitor side. That is all, good day! :D

At away games too?

Looking4number8
09-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
they just have less competing entertainment on a Friday night!;) ;)

Yes, and some (okay just me) have no competing entertainment on any night... Lord I love football...

Wood Fan 2
09-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
At away games too?

Nah, the home games I sit across the way....out of town games, I just go with the flow. Pretty sure the spewage is over now! :D I find it hard to break away from my little tradition of sitting on the visitor side at home games. :cool:

LionKing
09-03-2008, 01:44 PM

Sports don't have the same priority at Waco High as they do in smaller towns and I don't have a problem with them not travelling well. Heck we played Celina in 2006 in the playoffs and there were maybe 1500 on hand on the visitor side, but only 500 or so of those were Madison fans (When I see our side filled up with white folks like me I know the reason they are there. Same reason they all showed up in 2004 when we played Gilmer.). Waco High fans and similar schools fans have things that require their attention that are a bit more important than making sure their team has a few thousand people in the stands on Friday night. That's just how it is. I understand what you are saying, Waco High proved that in the 06' 4th round playoff game rematch with us that football wasn't their priority, with the game being played in Waco High's front yard (Baylor Stadium), Brownwood still had more fans than they did, and our crowd wasn't the largest crowd we'd had at playoff games either, granted it was a cold, windy day, but still I figured more Waco fans would show for the 4th round playoffs in their hometown.

Stownhorse
09-03-2008, 01:46 PM
I heard their band goes hard in the paint. Like Tony Parker.

Rabid Cougar
09-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by LionKing
I understand what you are saying, Waco High proved that in the 06' 4th round playoff game rematch with us that football wasn't their priority, with the game being played in Waco High's front yard (Baylor Stadium), Brownwood still had more fans than they did, and our crowd wasn't the largest crowd we'd had at playoff games either, granted it was a cold, windy day, but still I figured more Waco fans would show for the 4th round playoffs in their hometown.

You also have to remember that the Old school Waco High Grads have no affiliation with the New School Waco High. This school has only been around for 15 or 20 years. The Old Black and Gold Waco High was consolidated with two other Waco ISD High Schools back in the late 80's or so. Those other two school alumni also have no affiliation with the the new school. There is very little community wide support for either University or Waco High because the vast majority of the community didn't do to either school or don't have children that go to them.

It is not like Brownwood or any other smaller communities high school thats been around forever.

The Pirates will be there and they will be well supported.

Emerson1
09-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
If this was at Baylor Stadium on a Saturday afternoon, there would be 20,000 there just as there was for the China Spring game last year.

Who did CS play in this game?

Matthew328
09-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Great point JR, the same can be said for Everman to an extent but not quite like Madison as we get OK support but not great.

Emerson,

China Spring played LaVega in that game

smash mouth
09-03-2008, 10:39 PM
the crowd was incredible for a 3a football game - I have seen more fans on hand but it was for southlake and lufkin - never seen that many at a 3a game- but i am sure some of you have!

cshscougar08
09-03-2008, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by smash mouth
the crowd was incredible for a 3a football game - I have seen more fans on hand but it was for southlake and lufkin - never seen that many at a 3a game- but i am sure some of you have!

I agree it was pretty incredible. We personally had more fans at the state game I think, but total, it was less than that game.

jimmyceatworld
09-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
I agree it was pretty incredible. We personally had more fans at the state game I think, but total, it was less than that game.

I don't know how much were at each game, but since Floyd Casey holds half the amount of Texas Stadium it looked like there were more people at that game.