PDA

View Full Version : copperas cove off to strong start....

jason
09-02-2008, 09:20 AM
they could do big things again this year....

Saturday, August 30
Griffin gone, but Dawgsstill look strong in rout
By Evan Mohl
Killeen Daily Herald

SAN ANGELO – Before their season opener against Copperas Cove, Bobcats coach Steve Heryford said San Angelo Central had to eliminate the Bulldawgs' explosiveness.

That didn't happen.

Senior Chris Miller took the opening kickoff 80 yards and Brandin Byrd scored four plays later on fourth-and-1 as the Bulldawgs used big play after big play to rout the Bobcats, 56-0, in both teams' first game in 2008.

Friday night's victory was Cove's third straight against Central in season openers, topping the 33-0 thrashing in 2007.

"I think the big thing for us tonight was that our guys came out to prove themselves," said Bulldawgs coach Jack Welch, who has guided Cove to consecutive 4A state championship games. "We came out with a focus and intensity from the opening kickoff. That return by Chris Miller really set the whole tone."

Miller wasn't done, either. He picked off Tyler Jones in the second quarter and somehow managed to find the end zone. Sitting back in a zone, Miller grabbed the pass at the 38-yard line, and he started to run toward the Cove sideline. Not seeing any running lanes, Miller circled back, waiting for his blocks. He then found the tiniest of lanes back on the same far sideline and zoomed to the goal line for a 28-0 Bulldawg lead.

"As a senior leader, I was coming out and trying to send a message, start the season off right with a little bang," Miller said. "I couldn't have done it without my teammates, but my coaches always tell me playmakers make plays, and I want to be a playmaker."

Cove had plenty of those guys to start the season.

Not to be outdone, Byrd certainly lived up to the praise he received from offensive coordinator Tracy Welch. During the offseason, Welch called Byrd the back with the best vision since Vontez Duff, the ex-Dawg who attended Notre Dame and saw time in the NFL.

Byrd weaved in and out holes all night and showed the ability to run in the open field or between the tackles. He had just as many hard-earned 4-yard runs, like his TD-blast from 4 yards out, as ankle-breaking runs – such as when he burned the Bobcats for a 20-yard touchdown.

Byrd finished the night with 109 yards on 15 carries to go with his three touchdowns. His partner, fellow junior running back Will Wright was also dynamite. He banged out 80 yards, dragging Bobcat defenders on his back all night, on eight carries.

The 1-2 backfield duo combined for 199 yards.

"I expect that from those running backs," Welch said. "Brandin is really slippery and Will is such a horse, man he runs with power. We got a good backfield tandem, maybe the best 1-2 punch we've ever had."

In his first varsity start, junior Cody Vaughn was solid. His 9-of-19 passing wasn't spectacular, but he had two touchdown passes, including a 50-yard strike to Tommy McLeain. Josh Boyce caught the other on a 15-yard curl route, and then slithered through the defense for an extra four yards and the touchdown.

Perhaps Vaughn's best play of the night came on a high snap that went over his head. The QB, doing his best Tony Romo impression, ran down the ball and threw an incomplete pass to avoid the sack and a 20-yard loss.

With the Dawgs up by 49, Nick Greene entered with 1:26 remaining in the thirrd quarter. Vaughn retired with 119 passing yards and two touchdowns. Vaughn, along with Greene, guided the Dawgs to 317 total yards on the evening.

"For his varsity game, I thought Cody was good and really poised," Welch said. "He came out and threw some crisp passes and he was hesitant on others. Overall, I thought he had a good night and he'll continue to get better."

The defense was just as good as the offense on a night that had few, if any black marks. The Dawgs stymied Central all night as they limited the Bobcats to just 146 total yards. Whenever there appeared to be a hole, Cove defenders would quickly close it, using their tremendous speed.

Besides the Miller pick, Rashad Hardy also intercepted a pass and returned it 46 yards for a touchdown while the Dawg front seven penetrated the backfield on virtually every play.

Phillip Tedder got two sacks and Ken Hughes had two tackles for a loss, making the departed front four of last year seem like a distant memory.

"Our defense is pretty fast, as fast as about last year's (state finalists)," Tedder said. "We grew up as a team tonight, and we're going to try to do the same thing against Waco. We may be in 5A, but we're fighting for another state championship run."

Contact Evan Mohl at emohl@kdhnews.com or (254) 501-7564.

http://www.eteamz.com/covedawgs/index.cfm?subsite=3868489