PDA

View Full Version : Region IV GOTW: Cuero vs. Rio Hondo @ Robstown

Nursebetty
09-01-2008, 08:05 AM
The Gobblers meet up with Rio Hondo in Robstown Friday night. Any thoughts, predictions....anyone?

solocam
09-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Gobblers roll,win by 28

SintonFan_inAustin
09-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Rio Hondo has had a good defense the last couple of years with some speed on that side of the ball. Was a little shock they didnt get past the 2nd round last year but they did have one of the better teams in region 4 last year. Cuero no doubt is a favorite to represent Region 4 again in whichever division it goes. I'll be at this game and hope to see a good one. RH QB is quick so should be good to see if he can do some damage on the ground against Cuero defense.

Cuero speed and size i think might be to much to overcome for RH.

Cuero 27 Rio Hondo 7

Nursebetty
09-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Rio Hondo has had a good defense the last couple of years with some speed on that side of the ball. Was a little shock they didnt get past the 2nd round last year but they did have one of the better teams in region 4 last year. Cuero no doubt is a favorite to represent Region 4 again in whichever division it goes. I'll be at this game and hope to see a good one. RH QB is quick so should be good to see if he can do some damage on the ground against Cuero defense.

Cuero 27 Rio Hondo 7

So, SintonFan_inAustin.......you going huh?

pirate4state
09-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Both teams come into this week's game with impressive week zero wins.

Cuero destroyed 4A Beeville 46-14 & Rio Hondo welcomed Robstown to 3A with a 34-13 romp.

Who wins this week in a "rematch" of the 2006 Area game. ;)

sinfan75
09-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Cuero by 35.

JT44
09-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin

Cuero 27 Rio Hondo 7

RH went down to Palacios last year, Cuero dominated Palacios two times last year. I don't know what RH has coming back, but Cuero's O and D line was thin last year, this year it seems stacked, that's gonna take the gobblers to another level this year.

cuero scores at least 42 points and gets a win

IHStangFan
09-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Cuero 45
Rio Hondo 17

Really don't know if I'd call this a game of the week...might be the massacre of the week.

Devine -vs- Comfort
Needville -vs- Spendora
West Oso -vs- Beeville
Bellville -vs- Livingston

just a couple of games that will probably be alot better suited as a "game of the week" That's just my $.02.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-01-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Cuero 45
Rio Hondo 17

Really don't know if I'd call this a game of the week...might be the massacre of the week.

Devine -vs- Comfort
Needville -vs- Spendora
West Oso -vs- Beeville

just a couple of games that will probably be alot better suited as a "game of the week" That's just my $.02. If the game turns that way, then every team Cuero plays this year will be facing the same outcome. I know alot of us dont see valley teams as much of a threat, but Rio Hondo does have some speed on both sides of the ball with a playmaker QB and they dont make many mental mistakes. Dont see them beating Cuero but might keep it close and 27-7 is close against a team like Cuero.

crabman
09-01-2008, 12:50 PM
I did not realize West Oso was playing Beeville this week. That will be a good barometer of what West Oso really has with Cuero being the common opponent. I think what you are going to see is that Beeville is really better than people were giving them credit for and Cuero is probably legit.

Look for Cuero to start opening up the passing game more this week. Post game analysis is that we still did not throw enough to take advantage of our QB's ability.

KingRob
09-01-2008, 01:14 PM
I think the Gobblers will come out fast, and RH will not be able to keep up.

Survey Says:

Cuero - 33
Rio Hondo - 13

LET'S GO CUERO!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

crabman
09-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Reeve's defenses tend to get started slow and get better. They will start out giving up two touchdowns a game. Mid season they will toss shutouts and at the end of the season when they are deep in the playoffs you can count on two touchdowns again.

Boomer
09-01-2008, 05:25 PM
I think Cuero will be too much for Rio Hondo. Cuero will wear them down by the second half. Will #22 play for Cuero this week? He runs hard and tough, a lot tougher than the other TB's put in there after he got hurt. I would like to see Cuero get Trent Jackson going. I know he's a freshman, but he's going to be good. Just need some playing time to get the gitters out. The only experience he has is Jr. High ball. Friday nights is a lot faster!

headhunter
09-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Cuero should win this one by a good margin. The 33 - 13 score sounds pretty good. It will take Rio Hondo an entire half to adjust to Cuero's speed. With that in mind Rio Hondo will probably pull out some trickery throughout the game. I think if Cuero wants they can throw all night. Their QB is good but what makes him even better is all the playmakers he has around him. They have 3 good RB and about 5 quality WR's. Not to mention some TE's that will get open down the middle. To many weapons for Rio Hondo. Cuero will move to 2 - 0.

pirate4state
09-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Cuero 45
Rio Hondo 17

Devine -vs- Comfort
Needville -vs- Spendora
West Oso -vs- Beeville

just a couple of games that will probably be alot better suited as a "game of the week" That's just my $.02.

Where were you & your $.02 when we were asking for help to keep up the region pages? :)

44INAROW
09-01-2008, 05:37 PM
GO MEAN GREEN ;)

IHStangFan
09-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Where were you & your $.02 when we were asking for help to keep up the region pages? :) I'll go and dig up the threads if you'd like, I said I'd help, I never heard anything back from you guys. DANGIT! LOL.

pirate4state
09-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I'll go and dig up the threads if you'd like, I said I'd help, I never heard anything back from you guys. DANGIT! LOL. and I sent you a PM asking and you replied that you'd help & I didn't hear anything back! DANGIT! :p

IHStangFan
09-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
and I sent you a PM asking and you replied that you'd help & I didn't hear anything back! DANGIT! :p so what does that entail? I never got any "instruction" from the powers above. Would you guys just like my input? Is there someone I should be PM'ing w/ "reports"? I WILL help...but I need a little guidance and/or direction. I will take it from there. :)

sotxrat
09-01-2008, 10:07 PM
i think that the valley is hoping that rio hondo can make a game of this one, and i sort of wish this myself but the reality is that rio hondo will be beat and it will not be close

pirate4state
09-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by sotxrat
i think that the valley is hoping that rio hondo can make a game of this one, and i sort of wish this myself but the reality is that rio hondo will be beat and it will not be close yeah and i was just looking at the rest of the schedules...

Giddings @ La Vernia
La Grange @ Yoakum

Both look like "better" games ;)

SintonFan_inAustin
09-01-2008, 10:15 PM
have faith on Rio Hondo, dont think they have a chance of winning but will make it a game going into the half. Its a good choice for game of the week.

Johnny 5
09-01-2008, 10:44 PM
I am really nervous about this game. The kids are pumped and ready . . . chomping at the bit.

The Palacios game was thrown by the kids last year. They new that (HC)Cavazos was leaving, and they were getting tired of him. They did not want him to use their victories to make himself look better, so they threw the game big.

IMO, it will be close . . . RH by 7 (or Cuero by 14) ;)

piratebg
09-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Cuero wins big again.

Gobbler Fan
09-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Johnny 5
I am really nervous about this game. The kids are pumped and ready . . . chomping at the bit.

The Palacios game was thrown by the kids last year. They new that (HC)Cavazos was leaving, and they were getting tired of him. They did not want him to use their victories to make himself look better, so they threw the game big.

First time i've heard that but if that's what you want to believe ...:tisk:

Footballhudini
09-01-2008, 11:55 PM
RH over cuero by 3

Bull Butter
09-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Cuero 35
Rio Hondo 7

Johnny is on crack. He thinks RH should win every game no matter what. If they don't, he is ready with excuses.

RH's defense isn't all that. Nolan Nunez of PI ran up and down the field on them the past 2 years. And I know Cuero has faster guys than Nolan.

Johnny 5
09-02-2008, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
First time i've heard that but if that's what you want to believe ...:tisk:

I work at the school and talk with the kids everday ;)

Originally posted by Bull Butter
Cuero 35
Rio Hondo 7

Johnny is on crack. He thinks RH should win every game no matter what. If they don't, he is ready with excuses.

RH's defense isn't all that. Nolan Nunez of PI ran up and down the field on them the past 2 years. And I know Cuero has faster guys than Nolan.

Yet the first year, RH held Cuero to the lowest amount of points all year.

And the second year . . .. wait . . . you lost that game :doh:

Cats Fan
09-02-2008, 01:51 AM
I will take Rio Hondo in an upset....or keep it close for 3 quarters.....as far as Johny's comments go about the HC...i would hope the players would not think that way, EVER!.

Last time RH and Cuero met it was a defensive struggle till the 4th quarter when Cuero opened it up....this time around I feel that if RH plays 4 quarters they have a good shot as any to knock Cuero off their high horse...with that said, it will be a very close game or a blowout....who wins is still to be determined...i know RH are the underdogs...but this should be a helluva match!

KingRob
09-02-2008, 02:40 AM

If they wanted to "Throw" a game, then why not the Lyford game? RH won 47-12. Sounds like they wanted to win to me!

Cuero and RH have only played once with Cuero winning 21-8. There hasn't been a second year or second game until this Friday.

Nursebetty
09-02-2008, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Cats Fan
I will take Rio Hondo in an upset....or keep it close for 3 quarters.....as far as Johny's comments go about the HC...i would hope the players would not think that way, EVER!.

Last time RH and Cuero met it was a defensive struggle till the 4th quarter when Cuero opened it up....this time around I feel that if RH plays 4 quarters they have a good shot as any to knock Cuero off their high horse...with that said, it will be a very close game or a blowout....who wins is still to be determined...i know RH are the underdogs...but this should be a helluva match!

"High Horse", huh?! LOL! :D :p

Johnny 5
09-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by KingRob
If they wanted to "Throw" a game, then why not the Lyford game? RH won 47-12. Sounds like they wanted to win to me!

Cuero and RH have only played once with Cuero winning 21-8. There hasn't been a second year or second game until this Friday.

Umm . . . alot of that was our second string. :D No matter what we did, it turned into a score when we played Lyford. They had no defense whatsoever.

As for the second time comment . . . I was talking about RH vs PI

Corn Cob
09-02-2008, 09:13 AM
I agree with what several of you have said. This should be the Region IV "Blowout of the Week"! Cuero wins this one going away.......30-40 points!

footballgal
09-02-2008, 09:51 AM
GO BOBCATS!!!

Have to go with my fellow 32-3A team. Vela will have a great game and this will not be a blow out.

JT44
09-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Henry Solis was just too much of a RB for RH last year. Palcios was good last year and could wear people down.

If RH has a lot of those same players from last year, they will get worn down again by the gobbler lines and stable of backs.

HM33
09-02-2008, 11:35 AM
If Cuero keeps their play book open and not settle for a few plays then I don't see Cuero having to much trouble this season. Keep it open and let the players play.

Johnny 5
09-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by JT44
Henry Solis was just too much of a RB for RH last year. Palcios was good last year and could wear people down.

If RH has a lot of those same players from last year, they will get worn down again by the gobbler lines and stable of backs.

Not really . . . from seeing his videos and seeing him live . . . he was another Nunez

fourbeee
09-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Cuero by as much as they want.

SintonFan_inAustin
09-02-2008, 12:47 PM
see 3 posted Rio hondo winning but only one went ahead and voted :doh:

bulldog64
09-02-2008, 01:30 PM
As someone said in a Beeville vs Cuero post about a certain quarterback "That Cuero is the truth"!!! Cuero by 30 , if they don`t let off the gas and coast it in so as not to risk injury.

NewYorkYankee
09-02-2008, 02:23 PM
I say that the score will be the number of votes that each team totals once the poll is closed.

Johnny 5
09-02-2008, 02:51 PM
1 point? Impossible :D

NewYorkYankee
09-02-2008, 02:54 PM
I bet your that only point huh :D

Gobbler Fan
09-02-2008, 02:56 PM
where are all the RH people ? :thinking:

footballgal
09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
That's it here, just the two of them but are very vocal and loud sometimes. :D

NewYorkYankee
09-02-2008, 03:01 PM
there aernt many of them but the few that are there post mainly in the rgvsn.com/forum thats where all the valley posters are..there are a couple of sinton & cuero & gp & calallen posters too.

Boomer
09-02-2008, 03:54 PM

I never heard this excuse for loosing before! Thats crazy. Those senior's on that team didn't want to go out that way. You still lost and you will lose because of that BAD ATTITUDE yall have. Throwing the game didn't hurt the coach any, only the kids.

As for this game, are kids wanna play for their coach, their town, and most of all, themselves. Cuero has something called pride!

Johnny 5
09-02-2008, 04:03 PM
It's from the kid's mouths. Not mine. I suppose in your mind it is impossible for games to be thrown on purpose. :thinking:

I personally blamed it on the coaches and the horrible play calling (offensively). I did not know the real issue until the end of July when I was talking to some of the kids that graduated.

People are different . . . you can't say that it was wrong . . .

It is something personal that varies from person to person.

Perhaps they did have pride in their school and city and did not want to see it be used against them? Who knows.

But that is the decision they made. They now got coaches that they like and respond to . . . and respect.

Txbroadcaster
09-02-2008, 04:50 PM
It's from the kid's mouths. Not mine. I suppose in your mind it is impossible for games to be thrown on purpose. :thinking:

I personally blamed it on the coaches and the horrible play calling (offensively). I did not know the real issue until the end of July when I was talking to some of the kids that graduated.

People are different . . . you can't say that it was wrong . . .

It is something personal that varies from person to person.

Perhaps they did have pride in their school and city and did not want to see it be used against them? Who knows.

But that is the decision they made. They now got coaches that they like and respond to . . . and respect.

If that is true..unless the coach was abusing them or stealing or cheating then those kids need to be kicked off the team

You dont purposley lose to get what u want

NewYorkYankee
09-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Its typical Rio Hondo :rolleyes:

headhunter
09-02-2008, 05:36 PM
That makes a lot of sense Johnny 5. The kids go out and try their best to win. Then when they come up short they make up the excuse "We didn't want the coach to look good and we were tired of him"

Get Real Johnny 5 - No team ever wants to lose. What will those players tell you after Cuero drags them all over the field Friday night? "We didn't want to win in Robstown because then the coaches would make us play all our playoff games there." Think before you post and be realistic. Cuero is the best team in Region IV, and they have earned that right. That doesn't mean they will come out on top every game, but they have the right to be favored. And they will beat Rio Hondo, Rio hondo is a good valley team, but they can not run with those boys in Cuero, to keep it close they WILL HAVE TO do some trickery and get very lucky.

JT44
09-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Not really . . . from seeing his videos and seeing him live . . . he was another Nunez

I saw Nunez twice myself, Solis four times if you include his all star game this summer in corpus. He's more powerful and faster than Nunez.

but that's besides the point, RH will be fast and Cuero will adjust, their size and speed combo will outlast and win going away in the second half.

GreenGobbla
09-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by four
Cuero by as much as they want.

agreed

Johnny 5
09-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by headhunter
That makes a lot of sense Johnny 5. The kids go out and try their best to win. Then when they come up short they make up the excuse "We didn't want the coach to look good and we were tired of him"

Get Real Johnny 5 - No team ever wants to lose. What will those players tell you after Cuero drags them all over the field Friday night? "We didn't want to win in Robstown because then the coaches would make us play all our playoff games there." Think before you post and be realistic. Cuero is the best team in Region IV, and they have earned that right. That doesn't mean they will come out on top every game, but they have the right to be favored. And they will beat Rio Hondo, Rio hondo is a good valley team, but they can not run with those boys in Cuero, to keep it close they WILL HAVE TO do some trickery and get very lucky.

Believe what you will. I talk to the boys. I know them first hand . . .

CueroDad08
09-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Cats Fan

Sounds like to me you have no clue, so you cover everything in hopes you can say I told you so. Cuero will win this game. 49-26

SintonFan_inAustin
09-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad08
Sounds like to me you have no clue, so you cover everything in hopes you can say I told you so. Cuero will win this game. 49-26 Thats alot of points for both sides of the ball but the spread is at least that if not more.

Gobbler Fan
09-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I don't see RH hanging 26 on Cuero . It will be like the last time but Cuero will score 36 RH 14 .

I just looked in the Cuero Record archives heres the article from the last time we played RH. I was at the game and I agree with everything that was written in the article . It got ugly

Gobblers advance with 21-8 win

by Glenn Rea, Record Editor
Wednesday, November 29, 2006 8:26 AM CST

Cuero's Gobblers are moving on. They took a 21-8 win over Rio Hondo Friday night in Corpus Christi to hold onto their 12-0 record.

Fortunately, Cuero escaped Buccaneer Stadium with their pride intact. The same could not be said for the Bobcats which used almost every opportunity to punch and poke the Gobblers into submission.

In a rare moment at the end of the contest, Cuero's coaches and players considered foregoing the traditional handshake with Rio Hondo at mid-field. However, tradition was upheld.

The Gobblers showed talent and class overcoming the obstacles taking an early lead and then relied on their defense to keep the Bobcats out of the end-zone.

Cuero quarterback Kyle Noack marched his offense into the Rio Hondo end-zone on an 11-yard pass to big Kaeron Johnson capping their first drive in the opening period. Steven Bell kicked the extra point to put Cuero up 7-0.

For the next 15 minutes, it was a defensive struggle by both squads.

As the second quarter opened the Bobcats launched a drive from their own 15. In spite of defensive efforts by Johnson, Stefon Hargrove, Klayton Smith, and Corey Scott, Rio Hondo almost reached mid-field. But a timely interception by Jake Rangnow ended the push given Cuero another opportunity.

Bad Blood ??:twitch: :devil:

http://www.cuerorecord.com/articles/2006/11/29/sports/sports1.txt

gobbler grad
09-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Cuero wins and that's all that matters...:thinking:

Boomer
09-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
If that is true..unless the coach was abusing them or stealing or cheating then those kids need to be kicked off the team

You dont purposley lose to get what u want

My point exactly! What do the parents say about this? If you don't get what you want just quit. If the kids didn't want to play, why even show up to the game. What are yall teaching the kids? What excuse are you going to have on Saturday morning Johnny?

IHStangFan
09-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
My point exactly! What do the parents say about this? If you don't get what you want just quit. If the kids didn't want to play, why even show up to the game. What are yall teaching the kids? What excuse are you going to have on Saturday morning Johnny? I agree...what are these kids learning down there? If that is their mentality, it's amazing they win any games at all

headhunter
09-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Boomer there excuse will be that they threw the game so they're coaches won't make them play in Robstown. Or something stupid like that.

Johnny 5, Get Real man, those kids in Rio Hondo didn' through the game. Besides you said they told you that after they lost. I guess if they would have kept winning then you would have heard no such comment. Typical Rio Hondo excuse.

It doesn't matter what happened, what matters is Cuero is better than Rio Hondo and should have no problem handling them. Ask Beeville if those boys from Cuero can play, better yet just show up and don't have any excuses.

Bull Butter
09-02-2008, 08:54 PM

Not because of RH's all-world defense...........

Nolan Nunez vs. Rio Hondo
2006- 10 carries 147 yards
2007- 17 carries 222 yards

garciap77
09-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Cuero by 21! Good luck Cuero!:D

pancho villa
09-03-2008, 07:32 AM
Quero wins 52-0 over them

Corn Cob
09-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Quero wins 52-0 over them

Pancho may actually be the closest to predicting this score correctly!

pancho villa
09-03-2008, 11:16 AM
I never knew they played 11 man football south of Victoria.

Corn Cob
09-03-2008, 12:11 PM
I never knew they played 11 man football south of Victoria.

I'm sure that quote is going to get you thrashed by those folks from the south, but you are right!

footballgal
09-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I never knew they played 11 man football south of Victoria. Well I guess you don't know much.

pancho villa
09-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
Well I guess you don't know much.

Are you a hot tamale?

SintonFan_inAustin
09-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I never knew they played 11 man football south of Victoria. i am sure u know they play stand around baseaball :evilgrin:

Old Green
09-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Who's the home team ?

Nursebetty
09-04-2008, 06:46 AM
What time is everyone leaving to go to the game........?

Nursebetty
09-04-2008, 06:59 AM
The GOBBLERS always pick up more speed and turn on more HEAT in the second half!!!!!! GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I look for a really, really intersting game.........a good one between two good teams!

pancho villa
09-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
Well I guess you don't know much.

I know I like spicy gals.

Johnny 5
09-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Cuero is the home team
Rio Hondo is Away

bulldog64
09-04-2008, 03:44 PM
They do play a little football in the South Texas area. Mathis, Sinton and Calallen all have played, albeit lost, in the State Finals within the last 10 years respectively. Maybe that doesn`t sound like a lot to the "northern" teams butt it is a lot tous .

Gobbler Fan
09-04-2008, 07:50 PM
RIO HONDO vs. CUERO

WHERE: Cotton Picker Stadium, Robstown, 7:30 p.m. Friday

RECORDS: Rio Hondo (1-0), Cuero (1-0)

LAST MEETING: Cuero 21, Rio Hondo 8, bi-district (2006)

ADVANTAGES

OFFENSE: Rio Hondo - Though the Gobblers are extremely talented and they did put up 428 yards on 4A Beeville last week (along with five different players scoring TDs), the Bobcats get the slight edge. Joseph Vela had 321 total yards last week (199 rushing) against Robstown. Running backs Jacob Martinez and Trevor David combined for another 111. If Vela has another stellar night, he can keep the Cuero D off-balance running or throwing.

DEFENSE: Cuero - The Gobblers absolutely destroyed the bigger Trojans last week, forcing several turnovers and keeping Beeville QB Eric Soza in check in the process. They're always fast all around, especially on defense. Cuero gets the nod here simply for passing a bit of a tougher test last week.

INTANGIBLES: Rio Hondo - This game has been circled since it was announced on the ‘Cats' schedule. The Bobcats know they have their work cut out for them, and they'll put on their best effort to beat the Valley nemesis Gobblers.

PREDICTION: RH 28, Cuero 27.

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/joya_2644___article.html/last_week.htm

GATA Gobblers:evil:

nfcfan
09-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by NewYorkYankee
I say that the score will be the number of votes that each team totals once the poll is closed.

lol. That was what i was thinking!

Hope RH makes it close though :thinking:

Johnny 5
09-04-2008, 11:19 PM
I am so nervous and excited!

Hoping for the best preparing for the worst lol

BTW . . . I have new information on the scandal :eek:

GreenMachine
09-05-2008, 07:27 AM
RIO HONDO vs. CUERO

WHERE: Cotton Picker Stadium, Robstown, 7:30 p.m. Friday

RECORDS: Rio Hondo (1-0), Cuero (1-0)

LAST MEETING: Cuero 21, Rio Hondo 8, bi-district (2006)

ADVANTAGES

OFFENSE: Rio Hondo - Though the Gobblers are extremely talented and they did put up 428 yards on 4A Beeville last week (along with five different players scoring TDs), the Bobcats get the slight edge. Joseph Vela had 321 total yards last week (199 rushing) against Robstown. Running backs Jacob Martinez and Trevor David combined for another 111. If Vela has another stellar night, he can keep the Cuero D off-balance running or throwing.

DEFENSE: Cuero - The Gobblers absolutely destroyed the bigger Trojans last week, forcing several turnovers and keeping Beeville QB Eric Soza in check in the process. They're always fast all around, especially on defense. Cuero gets the nod here simply for passing a bit of a tougher test last week.

INTANGIBLES: Rio Hondo - This game has been circled since it was announced on the ‘Cats' schedule. The Bobcats know they have their work cut out for them, and they'll put on their best effort to beat the Valley nemesis Gobblers.

http://www.rgvsports.com/articles/joya_2644___article.html/last_week.htm

GATA Gobblers:evil: RH gets the nod in offense?? I will put Arndt and the offense of the Gobblers up against anybody. I say Cuero by 4 td's, unless Reeves shuts it down. ;)

headhunter
09-05-2008, 08:10 AM
They are very optimistic in RH.

Johnny 5
09-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by headhunter
They are very optimistic in RH.

Better than having a defeatist attitude . . . no?

Johnny 5
09-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Gone hunting
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
Bobcats have Gobblers in sights
September 4, 2008 - 10:55PM
Armando Garza/Valley Morning Star

ROBSTOWN - It's only Week One, but it already feels like the playoffs.
Rio Hondo opens a two-game stretch against Class 3A powers tonight when they take on Cuero, the No. 3 team in Class 3A, in a non-district clash at Robstown's Cotton Picker Stadium.
The Bobcats (1-0) won at the same site last week, thumping the host 'Pickers 34-14. Cuero (1-0) annihilated 4A Beeville 46-14 a week ago.
The Gobblers have been a thorn in the Valley's side in the playoffs and are traditionally one of Region IV's top teams.
But Rio Hondo is locked and loaded to try and pull the upset.
"This game means a lot to our kids," Rio Hondo head coach Rocky James said. "We're prepared to play Cuero. Our kids aren't afraid, and we're looking forward to this game. It's going to be fun."
Rio Hondo boasts some of the Valley's top athletes, and that starts with quarterback Joseph Vela and a quick defense.
Vela totaled 321 yards against Robstown, showcasing his ability to make plays.
"He looks like a good quarterback," Cuero head coach Mark Reeve said of Vela.
Backs Jacob Martinez and Trevor David tallied 111 yards together against Robstown and are a formidable one-two punch.
"We want to get better each week," James said. "This is going to be a fun game to play regardless of the outcome, but obviously we're going up there prepared to win the football game."
Meanwhile, the two met in a testy area-round tilt two years ago in Corpus Christi, with the Gobblers winning 21-8.
Ironically, both squads were sophomore-laden back then, and now are each loaded with seniors.
Having seen the same group two seasons ago helps a bit, James said.
"We've seen the film on them," he said. "They have a lot of size. They're very big and very fast."
On the other side, Reeve said his Gobblers expect all they can handle from the Bobcats.
"They're (Rio Hondo) a good football team with a tradition ( )," he said. "Their kids play hard, and that's a compliment to Coach James and his staff."
Cuero has an almost unparalleled tradition of success and are an incredible 60-8 in five seasons under Reeve. The Gobblers are six-time defending 28-3A champs and advanced to the state semifinals last season.
Despite the impressive marks, Reeve said he doesn't expect Rio Hondo to be intimidated.
"The thing about it is, tradition is what you make of it. I don't know if any of that helps you on Friday night," he said. "Once you tee that football up, none of that means anything."
The Gobblers dismantled Beeville last week, with five different players scoring TDs. Third-year quarterback Tyler Arndt had another great game, accounting for 205 yards, 55 coming on a TD jaunt.
"He's phenomenal," James said of Arndt.
Overall, both coaches felt the game would be a good preparation for district, barring injuries.
"I think the better people you can play, the better off you're gonna end up being," Reeve said. "That's why we wanted to play them (Rio Hondo). We're looking forward to the game."

Armando Garza covers sub-4A football for Valley Freedom Newspapers. He can be reached at 956-430-6255 or at armandog@valleystar.com.

Gobbler Fan
09-05-2008, 08:59 AM

If the shoe fit's ...:thinking:

Johnny 5
09-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Well I was told some information that was off. I was informed yesterday of the some things that were going on, but would be inappropriate to talk about here.

Lets just say that they were not pissed at Cavs . . . they were pissed at each other.

The person who told me they were pissed at Cavs, was apparently trying to pass the blame.

:thinking:

Gobbler Fan
09-05-2008, 09:31 AM
:blahblah:

mean_green
09-05-2008, 10:13 AM
I will say MeanGreen by a score of 35-0.

Corn Cob
09-05-2008, 10:36 AM
RIO HONDO vs. CUERO

ADVANTAGES

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are! Is that sports writer a comedian?

Corn Cob
09-05-2008, 10:42 AM
RIO HONDO vs. CUERO

ADVANTAGES

Again, now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are! Is that sports writer a comedian?

Corn Cob
09-05-2008, 10:52 AM
RIO HONDO vs. CUERO

Now that's the funniest thing of all! That sports writer most certainly is a comedian? Can you say "homer"!

GreenMachine
09-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Can't be at this game, but will be listening to Joe and Grandpa Roy Boy Johnson on the internet feed. Goooo Meeaaannnnn Grreeeeeennnnn!!! :clap:

Corn Cob
09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
By the way, I'm not from Cuero, I just no what kind of football program they have compared to the schools south of the Nueces River!

footballgal
09-05-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Corn Cob
By the way, I'm not from Cuero, I just no what kind of football program they have compared to the schools south of the Nueces River!

Who?

HM33
09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
What is the webcast site for the game??? I would like to listen to it on the net.

HM33
09-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Nevermind.... found it :)

KingRob
09-05-2008, 06:01 PM
I have to work early in the morning, but I have to listen until at least half time.

Let's go, I'm ready!!

LET'S GO CUERO!!
:cheerl: :cheerl: :cheerl:

tango
09-05-2008, 08:44 PM
RH is about the most dirty palying team I have seen. 74 should not be on the field. Not much different then in 2006. on the bright side the RH band was awesome.

44INAROW
09-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by tango
RH is about the most dirty palying team I have seen. 74 should not be on the field. Not much different then in 2006. on the bright side the RH band was awesome.
I heard they have a huge band and they are really good......

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by tango
RH is about the most dirty palying team I have seen.

The Port Isabel posters could have told you this....sadly, Rio Hondo does it to every team they play, regardless if it's win or lose.

RoTex
09-05-2008, 10:15 PM
you can't have a great team without class. you can win games with talent, but a championship is much more. RH is living proof