PDA

View Full Version : What Effect will Gustav Have on High School Football

headhunter
08-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Maybe a little to early to tell but should it be like Katrina and Rita and cause massive flooding and damage then could their be some Louisiana athletes looking to come play in Texas?

I can remember in 05 their was a lot of under the table recruiting going on.

However, I don't think this Hurricane is going to be as bad. I hope it causes little damage and spares the folks in LA.

scrub c
08-31-2008, 10:14 PM
none

txkmom
09-01-2008, 07:09 PM
They are predicting anywhere from 10-20 inches of rain along the border of Texas and Louisiana, rain every day this week if the storm stalls over east Texas. Might make things a wee bit messy by Thursday-Friday.

Rabid Cougar
09-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Makes for wet practices

sahen
09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
A couple Golden Triangle games got canceled so far:

Little Cypress Mauriceville and West-Orange Stark is cancelled
Jasper and Kirbyville is cancelled

A lot more got moved to Saturday...I don't really understand the cancellations but oh well....

WOS1
09-02-2008, 12:59 PM
We can't understand the cancellation either! That was LCM coach Moody that made that call. WOS wants to play.

If anyone knows of a team out there who had a game cancelled but wants to play this week or has an open date they need filled, please PM me.

sahen
09-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
We can't understand the cancellation either! That was LCM coach Moody that made that call. WOS wants to play.

If anyone knows of a team out there who had a game cancelled but wants to play this week or has an open date they need filled, please PM me.

Maybe yall should hit up Jasper or Kirbyville?

Matthew328
09-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Thats' what I was thinkin....

Astrosdawg07
09-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Jasper & K-Vile will play on Saturday in Jasper @ 7: 30

sahen
09-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Jasper & K-Vile will play on Saturday in Jasper @ 7: 30

nice to see they have sense in Jasper...it looks like the LCM coach just doesnt want to play WOS so he is using this as an excuse to back out....

I got this article off the **********.com site...a lotta talk about the decision to cancel the game is going on over there i fyou want to check it out....

Gabriel Pruett
The Orange Leader

Hurricane Gustav might not have come close to Southeast Texas but boy is it cooking up a storm now.

The heaviest thunder can be heard from West Orange-Stark Head Coach Dan Hooks.

Hooks was very displeased Tuesday afternoon after officials from WO-S and Little Cypress-Mauriceville could not come to terms on moving the Mustangs and Battlin’ Bears game this weekend.

LC-M Head Coach Todd Moody said moving the game, scheduled for Friday at Dan R. Hooks Stadium, to Saturady “was not in the best interest” of the Bears.

“We hope to get our (evacuated) players back on Thursday but it might not be until Friday,” Moody said. “I did not think the best thing to do was to play West Orange-Stark. I did not order the hurricane. But after it you have to assess the situation. We had to see what was best for our team.”

Hooks insisted he wanted to play the game and felt bad for the players on both sidelines.

“We certainly wanted to play,” Hooks said. “Moody just did not want to play. He stated they would only have two days to prepare for us. They have been preparing for us since Aug. 11. It all came down to the fact he didn’t want to play. We will just lose playing a game and I really hate that. I am not happy with it but what can you do? I even suggested he talk to his players and see what they wanted but he said they would not all be here and he dismissed that idea.”

The No. 8 Mustangs are fresh off a 33-13 pounding of the Nederland Bulldogs as Quintavious Garrett set a school record with 317 yards rushing. LC-M had an open date in Week Zero.

“This has nothing to do with the game being against West Orange,” Moody said. “If we played on Saturday it would give us a short week to prepare for Bridge City. People are saying we would have two days to prepare. It really is one day of full practice on Thursday and Friday is pre-game. I would like our team to be prepared. We cannot afford to get someone injured. It is about us and getting better for district. I didn’t think playing Saturday was best for us and that is what it is all about.”

Hooks sees the game in a different light.

The Orange Bowl is now taken away from WO-S and leaves a huge hole in money which would have went into the Mustangs’ athletics program.

“We are looking to lose between $6,000 and $8,000 in revenue,” Hooks said. “We are all in the same boat after the hurricane. I am very disappointed in this and our kids are very disappointed. The score last year was 6-0 and we could very easily have lost the game. We maybe should have lost that game. I really hate this for both teams.”

An official with the UIL said the matter of the win-loss decision would be between the two schools but more than likely the game would not be recorded in any offical record book.

The Mustangs and Bears were not the only Orange County schools fighting to get a game in.

It took a long time for Bridge City Head Coach Cris Stump to get Kounzte Head Coach Stan Hodges to agree to play at 6 p.m. Saturday at Bridge City’s Larry B. Ward Stadium.

“I am excited we got this worked out,” Stump said. “I talked to our coaches and they are pleased and there is no question the kids wanted to play. There are so many other kids involved including the band, drill team and cheerleaders. I would have hated to see a game taken away from those kids. As for as football, we wanted to try and build off of last week’s win.”

Bridge City beat Liberty 32-20 last week to give Stump his first win as the head coach of the Cardinals after a young, inexperienced group of Redbirds went 0-10 in 2007.

Orangefield and Buna will now play at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at F.L. McClain Stadium.

Vidor and Houston St. Thomas will still square off at 7 p.m. Friday at Pirates Stadium. No information could be confirmed on Deweyville’s road game against Evadale.

WOS1
09-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by sahen
nice to see they have sense in Jasper...it looks like the LCM coach just doesnt want to play WOS so he is using this as an excuse to back out....

I got this article off the **********.com site...a lotta talk about the decision to cancel the game is going on over there i fyou want to check it out....

The funny thing about his quote is that, he said it doesn't give them long to prepare for us, but they had no Zero Week game. Our game was their first, they've been preparing for us since the season started. We did have a Zero Week game, so if it leaves anyone short, it's us.:rolleyes: