PDA

View Full Version : Evidence of gas prices hurting football...

coachkiss
08-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Lytle brought 52 fans to the game against Celina in Temple.

There were no cheerleaders, no band, and no drill team. I'm assuming it was due to money and not lack of interest.

STANG RED
08-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by coachkiss
Lytle brought 52 fans to the game against Celina in Temple.

There were no cheerleaders, no band, and no drill team. I'm assuming it was due to money and not lack of interest.

I dont know, I have seen the same at games back when gas was cheap. Some towns are just like that. But I do believe gas prices will keep a lot of people at home and close to their radio's this season. It's a shame, but it is what it is. Some people just wont be able to afford the travel.

Necks_Fan
08-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I dont know, I have seen the same at games back when gas was cheap. Some towns are just like that. But I do believe gas prices will keep a lot of people at home and close to their radio's this season. It's a shame, but it is what it is. Some people just wont be able to afford the travel. He says this is evidence... then he "assumes" it is true....?

Maybe they knew Lyltle was going to get hammered and on top of that, they knew they weren't very good.... so my guess is they didn't want to have to go "ooooh" the whole game when somebody got lit up.

If gas was having THAT big of an effect.... then every team would have no fan base cuz were hurting just as much as they are.

tigerfan69
08-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I dont know, I have seen the same at games back when gas was cheap. Some towns are just like that. But I do believe gas prices will keep a lot of people at home and close to their radio's this season. It's a shame, but it is what it is. Some people just wont be able to afford the travel.

I know of several schools, all classifications, that won't travel with their band this year because of economics. Snyder is lucky since they have four roads games -- two in Lubbock, one in Abilene and the other in Breckenridge.

JasperDog94
08-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by tigerfan69
I know of several schools, all classifications, that won't travel with their band this year because of economics. Snyder is lucky since they have four roads games -- two in Lubbock, one in Abilene and the other in Breckenridge. Humble ISD is in that same category. They cut 4 games out of the band budget.

headhunter
08-31-2008, 10:03 PM
Gas is playing a factor. For some teams it is worse than others, especially when you live out west and have long distance road games.

scrub c
08-31-2008, 10:07 PM
I have heard and read where several games were played w/out bands cheerleaders etc...

Like a sub-varsity game...

navscanmaster
08-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Our entire crew made it to Lufkin, but they condensed on the buses. I don't remember if they ate before the game, but I know they went straight home after the game because they got ahead of us when we pulled into Sonic for a drink.

I think our fan base is the one that is more affected, because the showing in Lufkin was rather slim. Maybe 500 fans, maybe. Our next four out of five are at home, with a short trip to Bryan mixed in. Then two more home games mixed in with two trips to Milam County. If we get rolling without any losses between now and then, I fully expect a large crowd to travel. But if we lose one or two between now and then, a lot of the fans will stay home.