PDA

View Full Version : La Grange at Yoakum

fourbeee
08-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Although Yoakum lost to Columbus, they played much better than last year. Columbus had a powerful running game that the Dogs couldn't stop. Some of it because they were without 2 starting linebackers and a defensive end. The offense moved the ball decently but made to many turnovers. Even doing that they still had a chance to win. The Dogs will get better as the season goes if they overcome mistakes. Their offense could be really good. Both teams have good offenses and it could be a high scoring game. Any predictions?

CueroDad08
08-31-2008, 06:22 PM
A toss up
Both teams have a hard time with speed

headhunter
08-31-2008, 07:10 PM
Ball control is what will win this game. Being able to move the ball consistently on the ground and getting into a rhythm with a young offense is key. Both teams are not a "strike fast" team. I have not seen either one play yet this yr but I did watch both of them last yr and I know what they have coming back. Both teams need to get some confidence. Both teams had rough yrs last season. I look for Lagrange to pull this one out but not by much.

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2008, 09:40 PM
La Grange wins!

Pudlugger
09-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by headhunter
Ball control is what will win this game. Being able to move the ball consistently on the ground and getting into a rhythm with a young offense is key. Both teams are not a "strike fast" team. I have not seen either one play yet this yr but I did watch both of them last yr and I know what they have coming back. Both teams need to get some confidence. Both teams had rough yrs last season. I look for Lagrange to pull this one out but not by much.

The Leps will need to concentrate on protecting the football more after 6 turnovers in losing to Lockhart in a game in which they racked up over 500 yards total offense. Their D was what kept them in the game until they got worn out late in the second half due to the frequent turnovers, several coming at the end of big plays or long drives. When this team develops confidence and focus they will be alright.

Incidentally, they have that fast strike capability. They just need to hold onto the football and maintain their focus all the way into the endzone.

Good luck to the Leps next Friday and bring home a win.

TRENCHES06
09-02-2008, 10:40 AM
La Grange defininetly has some speed that it hasn't had in recent years. BUT, it is hard to win with so many fumbles. Gotta hang on to the ball.

Running back #22 shows some serious explosiveness. The oline blocked much better than they did vs. Cuero. Maybe they got over that "wide eyed" thing.

430 yards of offense is pretty impressive for 11 new players on offense.

bd62
09-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Both teams had lots of turnovers last week and its hard to win with 4 or more turnovers. Columus was a solid football team with lots of confidence. Yoakum has talent but untill they get a win they will struggle with confidence. Lagrange is young like Yoakum and will get better as season goes along. I think both teams will cut down on turnover and that will make this a very good game.

Pudlugger
09-02-2008, 05:10 PM
That's sounds like a pretty fair assessment of the game bd62. I expect a good game Friday and it will be close either way. Yoakum is always tough against La Grange especially in their house.

LHS 2SONS
09-02-2008, 08:40 PM
bd62 will you be at the game friday

fourbeee
09-03-2008, 06:58 AM
28-24 Toss a coin

TRENCHES06
09-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Are Yoakum's injured defensive players coming back?

gobbler grad
09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
GO DAWGS...:clap:

fourbeee
09-03-2008, 10:39 AM
A defensive end will return for fridays game, the middle linebacke is going to be held out for another week, and the other outside linebacker is still questionable.

TRENCHES06
09-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Which one is the coaches son?

bd62
09-03-2008, 10:50 AM
i was on vacation for Columbus game but will be at Lagrange game. Allways fun to watch Lagrange and Yoakum play due to past great matchups in football and baseball. Good memories of the competion between these two communities.Class programs.

fourbeee
09-03-2008, 10:54 AM
the middle linebacker

fourbeee
09-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Heard last night that Yoakum has lost a couple of more starters to injuries. They are the kind of injuries where they could play only if there was no left to put on the field. The coaches don't want to take a chance and lose them before district starts. LG will put a lot of points on the board and Yoakum will have to match them or get blown out. Yoakums offense is very capable of being very explosive. Last week against Columbus there were 9 dropped passes, of which at least 4 were in a wide open field.

TRENCHES06
09-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Injuries can really hurt smaller schools.

Yoakum will be fine in the long run though-in the district that they are in.

fourbeee
09-05-2008, 06:47 AM
bd62 Do you know the scores for the JV and Freshman games Vs LG? Or anyone else?

TRENCHES06
09-05-2008, 06:51 AM
LG fresh lost 27-0.
LG JV won 36-0

29-3aFAN
09-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Anyone have scores on this one?

bob
09-05-2008, 08:44 PM
14 0 LG half

29-3aFAN
09-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I wish....

Old Tiger
09-05-2008, 08:50 PM
is yoakum that bad?

Pudlugger
09-05-2008, 09:30 PM
LG 47 Yoakum 7 half

29-3aFAN
09-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
is yoakum that bad?

Looks like it....:rolleyes:

Pudlugger
09-05-2008, 10:33 PM
47-21 final. LG came to play.

allforball
09-06-2008, 08:44 AM
LG came out conservative 2nd half and ran the ball. Was looking forward to seeing the spread a little longer and a couple of more touchdowns to keep the rhythm going, but LG chose to run the clock. First half was an hour and a half. Second half, too many flags and an unfortunate injury for LG. (Linebacker, Crouch) LG is not very deep at each position. Hope we can stay healthy. Offense was clicking on full cylinder first half with both quarterbacks. The Senior, Henderson had a couple of early struggles but came back strong. The Junior, Schneider led them down the field on the first possession for the touchdown. Receivers outmatched Yoakum. LG will be fun to watch if they can keep the rhythm of the game in their favor. The sophomore running back, Wilson had some great runs. Juked a few guys and ran through some also.

Pudlugger
09-06-2008, 09:10 AM
What's the story on Crouch? I hope he's going to be okay.

allforball
09-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Knee - came off the field with assistance. Doctors on sideline were checking it again before game ended. Heard "hopefully" just a deep bruise. Watching the play, he just got hit in an awkward position. Didn't look good from the stands initially. Yes, we hope he will be fine. Would be big loss.

bd62
09-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Lagrange played a great game and the coach showed class by running up the middle the second half. Yoakum continue with the turnover problems(6) but the way Lagrange was moving the ball it would have been a blowout without any Yoakum turnovers.It would have just taken a little longer to get there 47 points.

Pudlugger
09-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by bd62
Lagrange played a great game and the coach showed class by running up the middle the second half. Yoakum continue with the turnover problems(6) but the way Lagrange was moving the ball it would have been a blowout without any Yoakum turnovers.It would have just taken a little longer to get there 47 points.

I too was impressed with Coach Walker letting the second and third teams play in the second half. This is the pre-district and the whole point is to develop talent and depth for the tough road ahead in district. This week the Leps were able to protect the football and capitalize on turnovers. That was good. But trying to run up the score beyond 47 points is not only poor sportsmanship but would be missing an opportunity to work on the weaker aspects of their game and gain needed experience. The Yoakum Bulldogs will bounce back and return to their winning ways soon as they too develop from experience. Both teams are young and evolving and should have good seasons by November.

TRENCHES06
09-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Game getting moved?

LHS 2SONS
09-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I have not heard, but other games are starting to get moved.

underware
09-09-2008, 04:33 PM
Pudlugger: I don't see Yoakum improving much more. They looked worse than last year. I did go to the LG game and Yoakum does have some talent. I like the QB and good line. They defense is not too bad. What is really bad is the coaching. I have never seen worse coaching than I saw last Friday. Burke may have been good at one time, but not now. I give him a year to two (when his Son grads.) and he needs to leave.

/that is all

Pudlugger
09-09-2008, 04:35 PM
:eek: :thinking:

watcheverything
09-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Yoakum will be fine down the line. Agree w/ Pudlugger, Yoakum is trying to turn the corner and will be fine IF, "all" the kids buy into the situation. Have seen Yoakum in the past and in the present. Underware, not sure what you are seeing, but trying to get the ball into your playmakers hands is not bad coaching. Injuries run rampant at unfortunate times and are a part of the game no doubt. Sometimes you need a little luck and a few breaks. IMO Yoakum has had their share of bad ones. Coach Burke will get things going. Before you start throwing gas on the fire, you may need to check and see how close you are or you may end up getting burned. Good luck to Yoakum the rest of the way and good luck to the Leopards as well! Until then, I'll keep watching everything...:cool:

bd62
09-10-2008, 10:16 AM
In the first two games Yoakum has a total of approx. 550 total yds. compared to approx. 150 yds. against these same 2 teams last yr. big different is 10 turnovers in first 2 games this yr. In the first 2 games this yr. they have 37 points compared to zero last yr. Columbus is probably about the same as last yr. and Lagrange although young is much better than last year.
Although i was not real happy with the defensive allignment against a spread offense i am not ready to make bold comments about a coach staff in there second yr. It was not a accident that he had good teams in the past and everywhere he has went the kids has loved him. Coach Burk will have to determine whether the coaches he has in place now will get the job done. If not he will make changes next year. He made several changes this yr.. But thats his call and we need to support him , his coaches and the kids. They worked hard during off-season and down the line thats going to pay off.

fourbeee
09-10-2008, 10:27 AM
You guys are exactly on the mark with your observations. some will think it is impossible, but if the dogs can eliminate the turnovers,they are capable of putting a lot of points on the board. I believe they will get their first win Thursday night.