PDA

View Full Version : Week 2: Wharton vs Smithville

TIGER FAN
08-31-2008, 10:33 AM
The Wharton Tigeres lost a close one Friday in OT against Rice. I look for them to be out for blood....... Go Tigers

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2008, 10:34 AM
Watchout for Smithville....Very pesky team....They have the ability to beat some good teams....

Smithville by 6.

nunya
08-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Watchout for Smithville....Very pesky team....They have the ability to beat some good teams....

Smithville by 6.

Agreed, but maybe closer

Smithville 20, Wharton 16

espn1
08-31-2008, 10:58 AM
It's actually week 1!:cool: :cool: :cool:

fireman1
08-31-2008, 11:04 AM
i think wharton will get it together this week and win but its going to be a close one till the end

maestro
09-01-2008, 04:08 PM
wharton's offense will have to try and find a way to score.

headhunter
09-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Two good evenly matched teams. How do the two QB's match up? Is Wharton able to throw the ball? I do know they have some good WR's. This will be another battle for Wharton.

2little2no
09-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Wharton is not all that good. Turnovers kept them in the game they only had 75 yards of offense against the Rice Raiders.

fireman1
09-01-2008, 05:57 PM
considering Rice to be ranked and Wharton to be a 37 point underdog that game and only losing by 6 we arent all that bad either Wharton may have only had 75 yards on O but the D did their job and did what they had to do with some slip ups... its going to be another battle for the tigers this week but I think it'll turn out in our favor

pancho villa
09-01-2008, 06:13 PM
Wharton by 30 to much speed.

buff4life
09-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by fireman1
considering Rice to be ranked and Wharton to be a 37 point underdog that game and only losing by 6 we arent all that bad either Wharton may have only had 75 yards on O but the D did their job and did what they had to do with some slip ups... its going to be another battle for the tigers this week but I think it'll turn out in our favor

isn't Rice 2A?? and ranked or not, a 3A school should NEVER be a 37 point dog if your considered decent

gato 76
09-01-2008, 09:18 PM
The Tigers get there 1st win of the season at home this week.

HEMOTOXIC
09-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Wharton by 30 to much speed.

I take it that you have never seen Smithville play. Those guys aren't exactly all that slow. Maybe not as fast as Warton but I don't think that Warton has what it takes to beat them by 30 points.

solocam
09-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Smithville by2

jrhernandez7
09-01-2008, 09:33 PM
i got smithville by 6, 27-21, speed is there for smithville to compete with wharton belive me, this game is gona be one by the o-lines and deffense, deffensive shut out last week so should be a good test to see where they stand to a team with speed, i like there playmakers alot and might get 3 or 4 yards a carrie but miss a takle and he takes it the distance im sure the navasato guys can tell you he was sticking with that great LSU recruit that they had over there for a bit but ran out of gas those two realy put on a show for 3 quarters and the navasota guy just took it over, dont know much bout wharton but should be a good one

Necks_Fan
09-01-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by jrhernandez7
i got smithville by 6, 27-21, speed is there for smithville to compete with wharton belive me, this game is gona be one by the o-lines and deffense, deffensive shut out last week so should be a good test to see where they stand to a team with speed, i like there playmakers alot and might get 3 or 4 yards a carrie but miss a takle and he takes it the distance, dont know much bout wharton but should be a good one Neither team is very good from what I gather..... I like Smithville based on the fact that they actually won last week...... right?

fireman1
09-01-2008, 11:34 PM
and from what i hear wc isnt all that great either

pancho villa
09-02-2008, 09:09 AM
and from what i hear wc isnt all that great either

Your not that great!

Necked
09-02-2008, 12:32 PM
U forgot to add this pancho........ :tongue:

Necks_Fan
09-02-2008, 01:36 PM
and from what i hear wc isnt all that great either Now, I dont usually do this..... but WC is MUCH better than Wharton.

We very played sloppy, resulting in a loss.

Rice played very sloppy, keeping Wharton in the mix.

And, I guess we'll have to see when they hook up.

fireman1
09-02-2008, 10:42 PM
panch dont start its for the best... and neck were you at the rice/wharton game? didnt think so who ever said rice played sloppy wharton's o is the one that played sloppy that game and it was Wharton's D that kept them in the mix... getcha mind right!

Necks_Fan
09-02-2008, 11:00 PM
panch dont start its for the best... and neck were you at the rice/wharton game? didnt think so who ever said rice played sloppy wharton's o is the one that played sloppy that game and it was Wharton's D that kept them in the mix... getcha mind right! Wharton's O will continue to play sloppy...

Their D played ok and Rice screwed up and turned the ball over a couple times from what I hear.

I heard Wharton's offense was non-existant and that Rice mistakes kept the Tiggers in the game.....

giddings4life88
09-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Remember now, smithville had a defensive shutout last week against lexington, the only score the eagles got was on a scoop and score when the tigers were knocking on the door...should of been a 41-0 ball game..all in all tigers could make some noise finally this year,wow.

Necks_Fan
09-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by giddings4life88
Remember now, smithville had a defensive shutout last week against lexington, the only score the eagles got was on a scoop and score when the tigers were knocking on the door...should of been a 41-0 ball game..all in all tigers could make some noise finally this year,wow. NICE first post.... Welcome to the DL.

Enjoy:cool:

fireman1
09-02-2008, 11:17 PM
mistakes or wharton's D?

Necks_Fan
09-02-2008, 11:24 PM
mistakes or wharton's D? Maybe Wharton's D contributed to the mistakes, but I'd say both.

Wharton's lack of offense will cost them this game..... unless they find a stud athlete in the band hall that nobody knows about.

pancho villa
09-03-2008, 07:35 AM
panch dont start its for the best... and neck were you at the rice/wharton game? didnt think so who ever said rice played sloppy wharton's o is the one that played sloppy that game and it was Wharton's D that kept them in the mix... getcha mind right!

Get a job! And when Columbia and WHS play let's put some $ on the outcome.

rhs78
09-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Wharton @ Rice Consolidated stats

Wharton
Total Yards-75
1st downs- 7
Rushing- 33/27 yds
rush avg- 0.82 yds
Passing- 3/13 -48 yds
turnovers-1

Rice
Total yards-353
1st downs-20
Rushes- 46/234 yds
rush avg-5.09
Passing-9/13-119 yds
turnovers-4

fireman1
09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
i have a job im an electrician and soon to be firefighter sooo yea... and the stats only prove that whartons o is really that bad im not gonna argue with something thats right but the D is what kept them in the game with the turnovers and looking at the stats says what teams o played more sloppy then the other... oh and i love putting $$$ on things thats no problem at all believe me

IHStangFan
09-03-2008, 12:29 PM
with fans like you guys, BOTH of these teams have already LOST!! :D :p

KIDDING!!

My heart says Wharton gets the win this week as they are in our district, and when not playing us, I cheer for the other teams in our district....

My head tells me Smithville clips Wharton 16-13.

I fear that Wharton will have ALOT of "almosts" this season. I hope they can get it together though. They usually have talent, they just need to get it all on the same page.

pancho villa
09-03-2008, 01:13 PM
i have a job im an electrician and soon to be firefighter sooo yea... and the stats only prove that whartons o is really that bad im not gonna argue with something thats right but the D is what kept them in the game with the turnovers and looking at the stats says what teams o played more sloppy then the other... oh and i love putting $$$ on things thats no problem at all believe me

ooooooooooo I'm an electrician I'll bet that took a Masters degree.

TigerFan51
09-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Wharton has almost a totally new coaching staff with a totally new offense...things AREN't gonna click right away. There were at least three or four starters on the offensive line who did not play against Rice because they missed a practice last week...which is a GOOD thing...no practice, no play, no matter who you are on the team!!!

Last Friday night against Rice, the Tigers were the least penalized than I've ever seen in any game in recent history, that comes to mind. Another thing that impressed me with this team was that they just never gave up and never quit last Friday night. The Tigers were picked to be beaten by 37 points by Rice but it went into OT tied at 20.

If a Rice fan can compliment Wharton...and one who WAS actually at the game...telling a Wharton fan that the Tigers were a really good team this year, why can't others? Guess you'd had to have been there though! I look for improvement to occur each and every week for them.

For a team that virtually had no returning starters, are having to learn a totally new offense for the second year in a row, have a new head coach for the second year in a row AND have an almost totally new coaching staff, this Tiger team has made tremendous strides up to this point and will more than likely continue to as their season progresses.

The Tigers have no cakewalk in predistrict either with Giddings, El Campo and Bellville all games facing them prior to District starting, not to mention Smithville this week.

After reading several posts on here, I can't help but think folks are still simply thinking of the Tiger teams of old, but there's a new Sheriff in town and his name is Coach Hunt! There will be many good things to come for the Tigers this season...

TIGER FAN
09-03-2008, 03:02 PM
AMEN TigerFan51!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: I believe you have said it all!
There WILL be many good things to come for the Tigers this season... AND I AM BEHIND THEM 100%

fireman1
09-03-2008, 03:06 PM
no but lets put some more $ down that you will never have to go into a strangers burning house and try and save everything in 1200 degree heat with ppl screaming in ur ear to hurry with ceiling tile falling on you and having to watch out for ur crew and make sure everyone gets out alive or go to a MVA with a persons limbs scattered all over the road, mothers and children crying because they are scared to death and dont know what just happened and why their husband and dad will not go home with them tonight at ur job now will you?... but say what you want I really do believe the Tigers will pull this one out, at the beginning of the season i had my doubts about the tigers but last Friday i seen how they were they never gave up few yellow flags on the field because of Wharton and maybe its because im from Wharton that i have faith in my team but its whatever say what you want its a free counrty

Necks_Fan
09-03-2008, 06:07 PM
no but lets put some more $ down that you will never have to go into a strangers burning house and try and save everything in 1200 degree heat with ppl screaming in ur ear to hurry with ceiling tile falling on you and having to watch out for ur crew and make sure everyone gets out alive or go to a MVA with a persons limbs scattered all over the road, mothers and children crying because they are scared to death and dont know what just happened and why their husband and dad will not go home with them tonight at ur job now will you?... but say what you want I really do believe the Tigers will pull this one out, at the beginning of the season i had my doubts about the tigers but last Friday i seen how they were they never gave up few yellow flags on the field because of Wharton and maybe its because im from Wharton that i have faith in my team but its whatever say what you want its a free counrty The Tigers mustered 75 yds of offense against a 2A school.

Nuff said.

And TigerFan...... yea, ya'll have a new coach and things are changing..... but it will be atleast next season before you see it in the W/L column.

Necks_Fan
09-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by TigerFan51
The Tigers have no cakewalk in predistrict either with Giddings, El Campo and Bellville all games facing them prior to District starting, not to mention Smithville this week. El Campo, Bellville, and Giddings will all beat the Tigers by 30-40 points.

El Campo may put up 50-60 points on ya'll.

They put 49 on 5A Brazoswood...... a playoff team last year.

fireman1
09-03-2008, 06:43 PM
we'll just have to wait and see what happens maybe maybe not but if they dont get whooped by that much then what does that mean?

Antec
09-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Gillis won't run up score on Wharton

These two schools have too much respect for one another

A friendly rivarly compared to Wharton and Needville

fireman1
09-03-2008, 09:16 PM
that is true although it is a rivarly game much respect between the two

TigerFan51
09-04-2008, 06:10 AM
It's not going to be Earth-shattering or anything this season, but we'll definitely see a difference THIS year in the W/L stats compared to last year. I'm not naive enough to believe that this will be a 9-1 season or anything but a 6-4 season is definitely not out of the question. With district back to a six team district this year, anything is possible. This year will be much improved over last year for the Tigers and then yes...next year will be even better. I truly believe having the starters back will make a difference this week. The Tigers might get beat in all their predistrict games but they are ALL really tough teams which I have the utmost respect for but this just may be the experience that will better prepare the Tigers for district. I don't have anything negative to say about anyone on the Tiger's schedule, predistrict or district, because that doesn't accomplish anything good and I have much more character and integrity than that, not to mention the respect I have for EVERYONE'S program also. I'm here to support the kids...all the kids on all the different teams who work so hard on a daily basis to play every week for their respective schools, not bash them or any fans from their communities.

I agree with Antec about El Campo. Gillis has had many chances to run the score up on Wharton many, many times in the past but he also has more integrity than that himself.

Even with only 75 yards total offense, the difference in the game with Rice was a missed extra point by the Tigers...something seemingly so small, loomed so big in the end. That one point would've won the game for the Tigers.

Unless you've been to all of their practices since summer practice began and have seen the changes in attitudes, which the coaches have worked very hard on, and changes in discipline that the coaches also stress heavily as well as the team as a whole learning how to gel as a team, which they have also been doing, then the naysayers need to just sit, watch and wait to see how the season unfolds. It'll be nothing less than interesting to say the least.

TigerFan51
09-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
El Campo, Bellville, and Giddings will all beat the Tigers by 30-40 points.

And the Tigers were SUPPOSED to have gotten beat by Rice by 37 last week too...it didn't exactly happen that way!

Let's just let the games play out...

LH Panther Mom
09-04-2008, 08:04 AM
The Tigers mustered 75 yds of offense against a 2A school.

Nuff said.

:doh: It hasn't been that long ago that Rice was 3A, and beat PI after 4 OT's in the playoffs, to advance. The drop in classification didn't seem to put a hamper on their talent. Normally, you would think that 75 yds of offense against any size school would mean a huge difference in points. Somebody remind me what counts in the end: is it the yards gained, or points on the board? 20 pts & OT on 75 yds of offense sounds to me like there's something good there.

teetle
09-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Rice lost to PI in 4 overtimes 63-61. Rice had 3 starting offensive linemen out with injuries, gave Wharton 2 touchdowns on turnovers. Whartons offense scored one time and that was by accident. That being said, they have improved in three weeks. They looked horrible in their scrimmages. Good luck Tigers. They will improve each week.:bigcry: :eek:

TigerFan51
09-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by teetle
Whartons offense scored one time and that was by accident.

?????????

pancho villa
09-04-2008, 09:58 AM
. Whartons offense scored one time and that was by accident.

What happend did they all fall down?

Johnnypaycheck
09-04-2008, 01:16 PM
like those famous fainting goats that one of the WC coaches owns...the roar of the crowd made the defense pass out and allowed the Tigers to run one in...

pancho villa
09-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Johnnypaycheck
like those famous fainting goats that one of the WC coaches owns...the roar of the crowd made the defense pass out and allowed the Tigers to run one in...

Good thing you had the crowd. Are ya'll running the veer Johnny?

Johnnypaycheck
09-04-2008, 01:21 PM
split back veer

fireman1
09-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Rice had 3 starting offensive linemen out with injuries, gave Wharton 2 touchdowns on turnovers. Whartons offense scored one time and that was by accident.

1st of all Wharton had some starters out for missing practice. 2nd I dont think any team will just spot another team points like that... 3rd how can a team score by accident I've never heard or seen a team score by accident that just dont make sense (to me atleast)

Necks_Fan
09-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Butter up wharton all you want.....

And Tiger fan.... there is ABSOLUTLEY NO WAY the Tigers go 6-4

With a loss to Rice already and ones coming to El Campo, Giddings, and Bellville.... that would be 4....

That would also mean they had to beat Smithville this week, which wont happen and then go undefeated in district, which sure as crap won't happen. IF ya'll beat Smithville, you might manage 3 wins this season..... but I doubt that.

I say you beat Stafford.... and maybe one more team.

but remember, I don't know anything.... so don't believe what I say.

CheerMom
09-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Rice lost to PI in 4 overtimes 63-61.

I still get a sick feeling when I think of that game.
:ack!: :ack!: :weeping: :weeping:

fireman1
09-04-2008, 07:47 PM
neck you really have it bad for Wharton what did we ever do to you holding a grudge of some sort? did our sonic get ur order wrong one night after a game here or somethin?

Necks_Fan
09-04-2008, 08:04 PM
neck you really have it bad for Wharton what did we ever do to you holding a grudge of some sort? did our sonic get ur order wrong one night after a game here or somethin? I tell it how it is. I'm not going to sit here and lie and say they are going to be great. You can butter em up all you want but it is what it is.

I hope they prove me wrong, but I just don't see it happening for Wharton this year.

I try to be as honest as possible when it comes to us..... you won't here me saying we played great vs B'Port cuz we didn't.

I honestly think we have the talent and experience to win district but we won't unless we clean our act up. I will continue to support the Necks just as you will with the Tigers...... it's just when you get dominated offensively or defensively..... well then you come out and say what happened rather than being nice.

Now, this isn't directed right at you, but do you get my point?

fireman1
09-04-2008, 08:41 PM
we did get beat on the stats page pretty bad but something had to be going good for Wharton cuz it went into ot maybe rice just wanted to play longer or somethin idunno but if so that plan almost failed cuz all we needed was that pat and we woulda won and I havent seen anyone say the tigers played great because they didnt i'll be the first to tell you that because if they did play great they wouldve won last weeks game but thats the past tomorrow is Friday which means another game and if we cant get past last weeks game we'll never talk about how the tigers did against smithville and how bad they were supposed to lose by and accidental touchdowns and spotting points haha

TigerFan51
09-05-2008, 09:11 AM
I agree...please show me where I have used the word "great" in any of my posts. None of us have said that we are the most awesome team to ever walk the Earth or are God's gift to football but simply just proud of the guts, determination, team unity and discipline that the boys did show last Friday night. Stats on a piece of paper? Who cares...as LH Panther Mom said, in the end...all that matters is the final score on the scoreboard when the game clock shows zero. Super Bowls have been won on defensive scoring, and no, I'm not comparing us to any pro team, it's merely an example. I'll be the first to admit that there were some real problems last Friday but problems CAN be overcome.

Okay, they won't go 6 and 4, I was talking off the top of my head and wasn't really thinking, but I sure think they'll do better than THREE AND SEVEN!!!

All I hear from you, Neck, is the same ole, same ole...it's just the same ole song but about the fourth or fifth verse already which has gotten so old, boring and monotonous. You've covered thoroughly all the negative but nothing, absolutely nothing positive and there were some positives but you would've had to of been there to have really seen it...simply how the boys were handling themselves and interacting with each other...truly a positive. Even in a loss, there is always SOMETHING positive that can be said.

Many people would've come back at you and ask about ya'lls game last week but quite frankly, your game last week doesn't concern me in the least. All I'll say is may you have a much better game this week and be victorious. Don't be counting your chickens before they hatch about being District Champions...there's Sweeny and Needville to get past...both of these teams are not pushovers and will be up to the challenge!!

TigerFan51
09-05-2008, 12:54 PM

but remember, I don't know anything....

You said it...I didn't!:rolleyes:

teetle
09-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Tiger 51 are you the Hamburgler ?

TigerFan51
09-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Tiger 51 are you the Hamburgler ?

I haven't a clue what, or who, you're even talking about...

zebrablue2
09-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by TigerFan51
I haven't a clue what, or who, you're even talking about...

LOL... :vrycnfsd: