PDA

View Full Version : Palestine @ (#4) Navasota

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Navasota comes into this game after a thrilling opening game against 4A Henderson Lions. While standout Dexter Pratt(LSU) was held to 67 yards, Brandall Jackson (TAMU) had 8 receptions for 167 yards and 3 touchdowns. QB Jacoby Stokes was 18 for 21 passing for a total of 297 yards and 3 touchdowns; he also had 83 yards rushing on 17 attempts and 2 touchdowns. While the Rattlers had trouble slowing down the Lions' passing game, the Lions didn't have an answer for the Stokes/Jackson combinations. Navasota showed that they can beat in more ways than one.

Palestine comes in after beating 3A Rusk 58-35. Palestine led 31-14 with a minute left in the first half but a 45-yard touchdown run by Marcell Johnson cut the lead to 10 points at halftime. Then Johnson struck again in the early part of the third quarter on a 61-yard touchdown run and Rusk cut the deficit to three points, 31-28. Rusk is said to be in a down year as they are picked to come in 4th in their district. It will be a long trip for the Wildcats as they travel down to Rattler Country.

What are your thoughts for this matchup?

OldBison75
08-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Navasota played a barnburner game with another very good spread team. The passing offense was outstanding on both teams and the Rattler defense was exploited by speed, quality receivers with speed, and a Henderson QB that had a rifle arm and great accuracy. On the other hand, the rattler D was in control of the line of scrimmage and forced the QB into scrambling and running throws all night. He was just good enough to complete alot of passes thrown on the run and across the body.

Pratt must become more of the old hard runner he displayed last year, but now everyone knows that if you key on him too much , like Henderson did, Stokes and Jackson and Lamascus will kill you.

Rattlers by 14 in this one at home.

IHStangFan
08-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Navasota will take this one...Palestine isn't what they used to be.

Old Tiger
08-31-2008, 02:04 PM
Palestine looked good against a decent Rusk team.

I'll take Navasota by 10

navscanmaster
08-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Navasota played a barnburner game with another very good spread team. The passing offense was outstanding on both teams and the Rattler defense was exploited by speed, quality receivers with speed, and a Henderson QB that had a rifle arm and great accuracy. On the other hand, the rattler D was in control of the line of scrimmage and forced the QB into scrambling and running throws all night. He was just good enough to complete alot of passes thrown on the run and across the body.

Pratt must become more of the old hard runner he displayed last year, but now everyone knows that if you key on him too much , like Henderson did, Stokes and Jackson and Lamascus will kill you.

Rattlers by 14 in this one at home.

I think the Rattlers will play with a little more inspiration in front of the home crowd. There were too many third and long conversions by the Lions, and that can be demoralizing to a defense. If they can limit third down conversions, and the secondary can be more physical at the line of scrimmage with opposing receivers, this could be a much different game.
Palestine has a good program, and putting up 58 points in their opener, no matter the opponent, means they have a good offense. I doubt they can hold the entire Rattler offense in check, but if they can match scores, they have a good chance at an upset. It predict a good game with plenty of scoring.

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
I think the Rattlers will play with a little more inspiration in front of the home crowd. There were too many third and long conversions by the Lions, and that can be demoralizing to a defense. If they can limit third down conversions, and the secondary can be more physical at the line of scrimmage with opposing receivers, this could be a much different game.
Palestine has a good program, and putting up 58 points in their opener, no matter the opponent, means they have a good offense. I doubt they can hold the entire Rattler offense in check, but if they can match scores, they have a good chance at an upset. It predict a good game with plenty of scoring.

You are right about those long 3rd and 4th down conversions. If the Rattlers could have stopped the Lions on those 3rd and long and 4th downs, this game wouldn't have been close. However, it was a good win and a great learning experience for the Rattlers and the Lions.

Im not sure if Palestine has the offensive power as does the Lions, but I like the Rattlers at home in this one.

Rattlers 48 Palestine 27.

PHS Wildcats
08-31-2008, 05:27 PM
Wow!!! We have no shot!!!! I just hope we can give you guys a competitive game.

Is anyone concerned that Hurricance Gustav will get this game cancelled. I hope not.

The storm should cross into Texas Wednesday

snake_attack
08-31-2008, 08:13 PM
What kind of defense does palestine have?

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
Wow!!! We have no shot!!!! I just hope we can give you guys a competitive game.

Is anyone concerned that Hurricance Gustav will get this game cancelled. I hope not.

The storm should cross into Texas Wednesday

Of course you guys have a chance, you put up 58 points in week 0.

PHS Wildcats
08-31-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by snake_attack

It's a very very aggressive 5-2 and the play man behind it.

it's an all or nothing type defense, they're blitzing ever down

jimmyceatworld
08-31-2008, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by snake_attack

Last year they ran a 4-3 but a lot of the time they would put the OLB's by the DE's and make it look like a 6-1.

HEMOTOXIC
08-31-2008, 09:32 PM
It's a very very aggressive 5-2 and the play man behind it.

it's an all or nothing type defense, they're blitzing ever down

Interesting...I just hope this game doesnt get cancelled....!

navscanmaster
08-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Interesting...I just hope this game doesnt get cancelled....!

I would be pouting for a week. It more than likely will affect a lot of Northeast Texas games if nothing else.

HEMOTOXIC
09-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
I would be pouting for a week. It more than likely will affect a lot of Northeast Texas games if nothing else.

As of today, Labor Day, KBTX is forecasting a 50% chance of rain on Tuesday and Wednesday...Friday looks good...

PHS Wildcats
09-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Good news.
I plan on leaving right after work friday. I live in Carrollton. What's the best way for me to drive down?

HEMOTOXIC
09-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Well, you have two options...I 45 to Madisonville...then to Navasota....Or, I 35 to Waco, then Highway 6 to Navasota. I may be off a lil with that Waco direction. Its been a while since traveling that direction.

PHS Wildcats
09-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks I'll just Mapquest it.

How was Henderson able to move the ball on you guys?

I know you take scrimmages with a grain of salt, but we completely dominated them in our final scrimmage

HEMOTOXIC
09-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks I'll just Mapquest it.

How was Henderson able to move the ball on you guys?

I know you take scrimmages with a grain of salt, but we completely dominated them in our final scrimmage

For some reason or another, NHS stayed in a zone. The Lions were able to get open all night. Not sure why we didn't go to a man coverage.

It's all about the matchups. This should be another good game.

Good luck to both teams.

Go Snakes!

navscanmaster
09-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
For some reason or another, NHS stayed in a zone. The Lions were able to get open all night. Not sure why we didn't go to a man coverage.

It's all about the matchups. This should be another good game.

Good luck to both teams.

Go Snakes!

Yeah, they couldn't run on us, and we were getting good pressure on the QB. That dang zone we were in had so many holes 10-15 yards deep that their receivers were open on every play. We managed to get one INT, but we were always just one or two steps slow to getting to the ball, resulting in several completions that moved the chains. Also, their #2 is very fast with good hands. He outran our safety on a crossing route to the endzone. Henderson has a very good QB. They have a good shot at beating Carthage, especially with Blackshire either out or not 100% for next week.

PHS Wildcats
09-01-2008, 08:43 PM
yea, I'm expecting a very good game fri night.

HEMOTOXIC
09-01-2008, 09:17 PM
yea, I'm expecting a very good game fri night.

I'm not sure if Palestine will bring a crowd or the size of their band and drill team; so, get their early if you want a good seat. The 1500 on the visitors side will fill quickly.

PHS Wildcats
09-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Yea, they'll bring a nice crowd, Our band isn't that big but have a lot of "Kick Kats" (drill team)